Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by golfbooy
    Ok, recent events on a few threads have bamboozled me into posting my own diatribe about Gemini. Pathetic, I know. I am such a sucker.

To begin, here's one case where I wish I were totally ignorant of online fandom. My compulsion for news about Stargate is what drove me here in the first place, but had it not been for GateWorld and other such lovely websites, I would have sat forever in ignorant bliss as to the raging hellstorm this episode elicited from both Sam lovers and Sam haters. Anyway, I watched Gemini. And I loved it. I thought it was a great episode, full of tension, and maintaining a rather portentious tone the whole way through. I thought Amanda Tapping did a bang-up job as Replicarter, whose creation by the writers hadn't sat right with me since New Order. Boy, was I wrong on that one.

So, you can imagine my surprise at discovering just how many people absolutely despised Gemini. I mean, some people feel that it ruined Sam's character forever, that it ruined SG-1 forever, that the writers were no longer worthy of any respect at all. And, after having read what others feel, I understand where they're coming from. But I can say that I never saw the episode in the same way as they did, and if I may be so bold, think that many are simply seeing what they want, not what's there. Perhaps TPTB didn't do a good enough job framing each choice made in the episode, of anouncing aloud what the consequences each action or nonaction would bring. Anyway, here's the way I see it. Proceed at your own risk.

Spoiler:
    A lot has been made of how easily Sam allowed herself to be duped, of how Teal'c didn't follow his orders, of how Jack should have known better. But by my reckoning, there was only one instance in Gemini where a different choice could have been made regarding the whole situation. Everything that proceeded after that point was, in my view, unavoidable, particularly when looking at things from the character's (not a fan's) point of view. The SG-1 team did everything I'd expect them to do in dealing with Replicarter. They only could have avoided the situation by not meeting her at all. Period.

Hence, the point in the episode I'm referring to above. That would be when Sam, Teal'c, and Jack are sitting in the briefing room deciding whether or not to meet Replicarter. If you're inclined to think that SG-1 should never have met with Replicarter at all, that they should have simply moved on without meeting her and gaining whatever intel on the whereabouts, intentions, and strength of the replicators available, then that's a perfectly valid viewpoint. If you think the most logical course of action would have been to instantly shoot Replicarter, as she asked, because replicators are evil and that the whole thing is that simple, fine. If you think that Sam's curiosity about Replicarter was a red flag for trouble to come, that Jack should have kiboshed the whole thing right then, well that's fine too. But once the decision to go ahead and meet Replicarter at the Alpha Site was made, a series of circumstances and information comprised of truths, half-truths, and outright lies, forced SG-1 and Sam into every decision she made hence.

So moving on, both with my rant and in the episode, we come to Replicarter's arrival at the Alpha Site. Once there, she immediately pronounces that Fifth is coming, and that he has made himself and all replicators immune to the Ancient disruptor built by Jack. STOP. What to do? This is one of those places where people say that Sam screwed up--that she trusted Replicarter. Sorry, but that's just not the case. The two choices at this point are to either not believe Replicarter and hope that this information isn't true or to assume that at least some part of what Replicarter says is actually happening and to prepare. I ask you, given what you know of SG-1 in the past, what decision do you think they'd make? Potentially doom the entire galaxy with inaction or try to find a means of stopping the replicators (who will arrive shortly) with action? If you can honestly say that the SG-1 you know would not pursue a solution in this situation, then we're watching two different shows. As Aris Boch loved to remind SG-1, they were choiceless.

Anyway, we all know that Sam and SG-1 did assume that there was a threat from Fifth. Which was absolutely true, he was on his way. And like it or not, one puny Ancient gun and a few untested Asgard satellites probably weren't going to stop his replicator army. Anyone saying that things only made it past here because Sam allowed Replicarter to enter her mind and show her how she had been tortured by Fifth is ignoring the facts of the situation. Whether or not Sam did the "hand in the head" thing, the potential dangers behind Replicarter's warnings still remained, as did the only options. So, do nothing and hope, or amend the disruptor and be proactive?

Well, Sam, Jack, and Teal'c, like SG-1 always has been, were proactive. They were going to try and find a solution to stop Fifth, regardless of the dicey circumstances. Remember that to them, even if Replicarter had been lying about Fifth's immunity, they still had the original design to the disruptor. From their point of view, allowing Replicarter to help them discover a means of modifying the weapon would only lead to better odds of survival--a weapon against both modified and unmodified replicators.

Wait a minute, some will say, SG-1 should still have assumed that Replicarter was working with Fifth and not allowed her access to the device! Again I ask, what would that have changed? The choices for our team remain the same--do nothing and hope Replicarter is lying, or try to increase the options and possiblity for a successful defense against whatever kind of replicators might be coming. If only the characters could have seen those handy asides that took place between Replicarter and Fifth, then they might have forseen things as we the audience did. But they weren't privy to that luxury, and maybe we shouldn't have been either.

After all of this, things were pretty much settled. Replicarter developed immunity to the weapon, betrayed and murdered Fifth, and fled the Alpha Site. Without the Ancient disruptor the possibility of anyone stopping Replicarter on the rampage was extremely remote. The episode ends with Replicarter and her brethren now immune to the disruptor, and with SG-1 feeling kicked in the teeth (Sam in particular). Wow, how much does that suck? Still, these types of things have always happened in the Stargate universe. Some of the absolute best episodes of SG-1, for me, are the ones where our guys screw up big time, where they totally blow it, where stuff happens and at the end of the episode things are way, way worse than when they started. Things can't be all happy gateroom celebrations and long, slow pull-aways from the team hanging out at Jack's cabin. Good and bad things happen to these four characters; it's why we know them so well, and it's why the show has stayed on the air for nine years.

So, that's my brief (the sad part is that that is brief for me) take on Gemini. But to close, it's worth pointing out that if Sam had done the exact opposite of what she did, had she told everyone in that first briefing room scene to find her replicator double and whack her without hesitation, then she no doubt would be lambasted as a cold-heated *****, someone incapable of feeling compassion, even for "herself".

I'm also frustrated with fandom's comfort level with the replicators. That is, everyone online seems to think that dealing with the replicators is easy. They talk about the events of Gemini as though SG-1 should have been able to defeat Fifth and Replicarter without breaking a sweat. It's as though since the replicators have been around since season three, then they shouldn't be a threat at all. So, for the record, I feel the need to tell everyone: Nobody defeats the replicators with aplomb. Not even the redoubtable SG-1. In fact, up until Jack was able to create the Ancient weapon in New Order, only the freakiest and most fictional of circumstances have allowed SG-1 to keep the replicators at bay. In Nemesis they had to crash Thor's ship to stop them. And one still survived. So in Small Victories we nuked that one, solo replicator. Overkill? No, because they're unstoppable killing machines. In Enemies the replicators are stopped only after once again hurtling the ship they're aboard into a planet at breakneck speed. But, just to add to their total evilness, before they are stopped the replicators are essentially able to kill Apophis, something SG-1 hadn't been able to do in five years. In Menace, the only reason Teal'c, O'neill and the entire SGC weren't overrun by the replicators was because Jack was able to kill Reese. Let's face it, they would never have stopped the replicators if not for those unduplicable circumstances. Then there's Unnatural Selection. Here, SG-1 had to literally stop time in order to halt the replicator advance. And that was only possible through the betrayal of someone who has to be considered a child. At the very least he's childlike. After that, the Asgard tried to chuck them into a black hole for crying out loud. They're unstoppable.

So, while, yes, SG-1 has fought the replicators a number of times, they'd never really been able to "defeat" them. At best they had been able to fend them off, keep them out of our galaxy. But, what we'd been told right from the beginning was that if the replicators actually made it to our galaxy, then we would be toast. In that light, the events of Gemini do seem rather portentious, don't they? Fifth was coming to our galaxy, wasn't he? Meh, Carter and SG-1 still should have done nothing. At least then nobody would look like a fool, right?
    Wow. I'm really jealous of your ability to express your opinions so clearly and eloquently.

You're totally right, and you've really given me a different perspective on that ep. It's really hard to NOT judge the characters so harshly when we're sitting on our bums WATCHING them do it. It's especially hard when one reads spoilers on a daily basis and summaries that pretty much give away all of the plot. But everything you said was logical and valid.

Comment

what i think we also got a glimpse of in gemini and what had an effect on how sam acted is how totally screwed up fifth left her.

Spoiler:

one reason sam was so sympathetic to rc is because of sam's torture at fifth's hands. fifth broke her. he totally messed with her head and, personally, i don't think she ever told her friends exactly what happened. sure, she may have told them about the farm fantasy - probably leaving out the mentions of pete, just that fith made her a farm fantasy - but i doubt she told them that fifth had her crying on the floor.
      she'd play the 'i don't remember' card and they would believe her because they didn't remember much of their little mind melds the first time.

because of that, she was naturally sympathetic towards RC and that colored her perceptions
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Haha, found this little gem just before - Your Sexy Stars by Swami Sam. Basically its Horoscopes, Carter Style
        Astrology is one of the most ridiculous pursuits I can think of, second only to trying to make sense of John Edward or the comissary's mystery food special meal deals.
        It gets a big rofl from me

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          what i think we also got a glimpse of in gemini and what had an effect on how sam acted is how totally screwed up fifth left her.

Spoiler:

one reason sam was so sympathetic to rc is because of sam's torture at fifth's hands. fifth broke her. he totally messed with her head and, personally, i don't think she ever told her friends exactly what happened. sure, she may have told them about the farm fantasy - probably leaving out the mentions of pete, just that fith made her a farm fantasy - but i doubt she told them that fifth had her crying on the floor.
          she'd play the 'i don't remember' card and they would believe her because they didn't remember much of their little mind melds the first time.

because of that, she was naturally sympathetic towards RC and that colored her perceptions
          I agree. The encounter with Fifth was never addressed fully and successfully. Her cowering on the floor and crying just added more fuel to the fire for the anti-Sam crowd I'm afraid. We needed to see and feel more of what she experienced to understand how she got to that point. Fifth played mind games with her and it was a bit anti-climactic to see her being gently dropped down in the woods and waking up in fairly good shape with her team surrounding her. It didn't sit well with me and that's why I wrote Head Trip. I was fascinated by that whole "get-into-your-mind" dynamic and wanted to turn the tables on Fifth and show Sam in control.

Comment

Oh, and a fic rec - One Half of the Equation, by minxy. It's a Sam/Daniel fic (Friendship or pre-ship, take your pick ) with lots of Sam Angst. Rated PG

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
              Haha, found this little gem just before - Your Sexy Stars by Swami Sam. Basically its Horoscopes, Carter Style

OMG that's funny! Thanks for the link, AD.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                I agree. The encounter with Fifth was never addressed fully and successfully. Her cowering on the floor and crying just added more fuel to the fire for the anti-Sam crowd I'm afraid. We needed to see and feel more of what she experienced to understand how she got to that point. Fifth played mind games with her and it was a bit anti-climactic to see her being gently dropped down in the woods and waking up in fairly good shape with her team surrounding her. It didn't sit well with me and that's why I wrote Head Trip. I was fascinated by that whole "get-into-your-mind" dynamic and wanted to turn the tables on Fifth and show Sam in control.
                bugger on the anti-sam crowd. they'll nit pick every single thing sam does and find fault with it.

I do wish that they would have dealt with sam's fallout though. Course, in lifeboat daniel went through something similar and it was just 'wow, i'm awake and everything is fine' so that wasnt' fair to him either

for the most part, the show writers don't deal with fallout well.

now i do agree, a whole episode of sam getting psychoanalyzed would be boring as all get out...but take jack for example. we got a bit of a him dealing with kanan in Allegiance. little bits like that show continuity and just serve to enrich the characters

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark

This is wickedly funny! Definitely ROTFLOL material ... looks like it was created about two years ago and was "Issue 01". Don't have time now ... did anyone check to see if this fan is still writing copy like this?!

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
                    I'm not really defensive, sorry if you got that impression. Just don't want to be lumped in with those yahoos.

Oh, well then I'm clear. I don't go to that forum. I went there once...to a Vala thread...but left because someone in the thread called a certain blonde beauty a really bad thing (I won't repeat it here...not worth it). I just walked away shaking my head at the sheer stupidity of some people. It must make them feel soooooo much better to put down an character/actor because they are so gaga over another actor/character. Who needs all that negativity when there is so much negative in the real world as it is? Not me. I've had my share and I'm done with it.

I can totally understand the frustration some of you have felt at the hands of over zealous Vala, Daniel and Vala/Daniel fans. I have the same frustration and some days, it's all I can do to not b**chslap some of those fans. While I admire Claudia, I am not the type of fan to place her up high on some unattainable stool and fall at her feet and worship her. Therefore with some Claudia/Aeryn/Vala fans I am pretty much an outcast as I have no qualms about calling them on their fanatical behavior. I'm so bad. LOL <weg>

Doesn't really matter what actor/actress for me, I don't worship actors. I am one in my spare time. It's really kinda creepy when people come up to you in the stores/whathave you and start talking to you like they're your best friend or something. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate when folks tell me they enjoy my performances, but when I start walking away after I've said thank you, politely, that should be a clue that I'm uncomfortable and want to end the convo. I try to treat all actors with respect and it irks me no end when other people can't or won't do the same. It's like some fans think the actors owe them more than what they give us on screen. Truth of the matter is, actors don't owe us anything more than what they have already given us. I sometimes wish I could make fanatics see that. But then I quickly realize that most fanatics are a few fries shore a happy meal. <weg> Then I walk away shaking my head at the sheer stupidity of it. LOL
                    btw, some of you might notice that I play here far more frequently than I do at any of the Vala threads. You lot are much more fun and friendly. That and I refuse to go to the Sony forums. Just say no to negative.
                    You're always welcomed here. I hope you know that. I tried to give you green jello, but it seems I'm all out. Sorry about the creepy stalker people you have to deal with. I am very respectful of people's space & privacy, & just don't understand when others aren't. (Shakes head).

Goa'uld queen in possession of Daniel, Jonas and Martouf clones
                    Lovely signature courtesy of Admiral Q O and Skydiver.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                      A Samandan Bedtime Story

CG, as always, you amaze me with your talent. The kind citizens of Samanda really needed this. Thank you! I'd give you green jello, but you know how it is.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                        it was *so* horrible that i turned me off the show... still. i don't even want to watch the early eps, because why bother, you know?

BUT, there's super potential for a new movie to fix the crap that happened!

[/OT]

sally
                        [/OT]
                        OMG! I also stopped watching re-runs after the last episode. There's talk of a movie? I'd so love to see it. This was one of the 1st series I watched with a total kick-butt woman. I was so proud!
                        [/OT]

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                          You're not on the court? Are you at least a loyal subject?
                          Thanks, jckfan55. Thanks to you and everyone else who's given me green jello. I'm happily eating the jello. Unfortunately, it seems I'm all out.

I would love to be a loyal subject. May I please ask the court elders to be considered as a loyal subject? When I'm here, I can act as the cuteness radar. I can sense cute things at the other end of a 5,000 sq. ft. office, including dogs and babies. AT has a gorgeous dog. May I please be the part-time cuteness radar? (Waits holding her breath.)

Comment

Anyone else notice that this is page 900
                            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                            love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                              good post, ann.

you brought up something that i find very interesting...

Spoiler:
                              you said that gemini 'hinted at Sam's dark side, one that thrives on power and uses her genius brain to essentially take over the galaxy.' for me, i don't see it really that way. i think the replicarter side of this being is what was bad. i also think that fifth 'really' did do to her what RC showed sam, and that that also helped to darken this being. but i'm not sure i see it as a side of sam's psyche...

what about others?

sally
                              You are right. Sorry I wasn't very clear. This is the case that's what I said not what I meant.
                              Spoiler:
                              I have to agree with Oma here... the only thing we can choose is whether we are good or evil. I don't think Sam is evil I think RC is the evil version of Sam. RC said Sam had so much untapped potential (or something like that) to which Sam replied I have no desire to rule over the galaxy. That right there proved she isn't evil. I think Sam is extremely smart and therefore she has to choose whether she uses her genius brain for good or evil. Sam's humanity, heart, morals, and ethics is what defines her (I think) as a hero or defines as good. If you take those away then you have RC the evil version of Sam. Sorry again I wasn't clear at all in my post. Hopefully that makes more since! If not call me on it and I'll respond tonight.

I also agree that Fifth's torture of RC were probably along the same lines that Sam received. Aren't we all more sympathetic to those that have gone through the same nightmares as we have. Also look at Fifth the first time they met. He learned compassion from Sam. He saved SG-1! They wouldn't have made it out without him. He trusted Sam. Therefore, she knows the replicators with a "flaw" like Fifth are capable of compassion and fear. She saw it first hand. So is it so unlikely that Fifth wouldn't create another just like him with compassion and fear? In this case it wouldn't have been too difficult to trust RC especially after Sam entered RC's mind. I know Fifth also learned betrayal and revenge from SG-1 and directed it at Sam. Hence all the events from their second meeting to their last meeting.

I’m way late getting back to work, so I gotta go. I haven’t had the time to read everyone’s post so forgive me if this has already been said.

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
                                I'm not really defensive, sorry if you got that impression. Just don't want to be lumped in with those yahoos.
                                wow! a sane vala fan!!

ok, i am just kidding. I am very glad that you play here sun krux and i like the fact that people can see that it isn't a 'either/or' thing. I do think that the two characters can co-exist. Now, i do have my personal issues with vala and how she's been presented most of the time...but i lay blame for that on the doorstep of the writers, not the actor. I think the writers, while i'm sure they were having fun, also were likely under some pressure to sex things up, and vala became that unfortunate vehicle.

i actually enjoyed the ex-host aspect that we saw in TPTB. it's a storyline i wish they'd have explored with sam a time or two.

if/when she comes back, i'd like to see more of that aspect of her. i think it would serve her well. teh sexy part....it's too open to criticism and will diminish her if carried on too long.

As to the passionate nature of some of her fans....i think that some of them fall into the ranks of those that are passionate about Daniel. Passion is fine...but not as much so when it comes hand and hand with intolerance towards others.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X