No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool - anyone know which day of the week the mag is released?
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
      I compare Vala with Felger...in that a little goes a long way. Neither would be sustainable as a regular cast member...because the thing that makes them special is their "over the top"-ness.

It's always fun to see them play off of regulars though...I think there were lost opportunities between Vala and Sam for instance that could have been really cool.
      yep. i equate vala and felger with jalapeno peppers. Sure, good for a snack, one or two here and now...but a steady diet of them????? ick, so not good for you

vala needing to be toned down is something they would have to do, in my opinion. right now all too often she's just a cliche. other that bits of tptb and a few seconds here and there, she's a walking, talking bustier wearing cliche.
      She's like harry maybourne in his first few appearances, there just to further the plot. no depth, no dimensionality, just there.

if she's made recurring or a regular they will have to give her some dimension...and that will change her. the folks that love her naughtyness will probably not be happy because she'll lose most of that.

i mean, take the scene in ties that bind...ok, sure it was funny....but landry was off his rocker to take her into that meeting in the first place and if he ever did it again, he'd be twice the fool. which means taht that aspect of her would be lost.

I also agree that having her and sam working together would be great....don't hold my breath at it happening, but it would be interesting

vala WITH sam i can deal with....vala INSTEAD of sam...nah. sorry. too much of a change for this jaded old fan
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
        you just gave me an idea...

what would be the scenarios if sam were hooked up with another team member for a show that was exclusively theirs?

sam and teal'c show?

sam and daniel show?

sam and mitchell show?

sam and jack show?

sam and take you pick?

sam and tealc: sam is captured by a goauld and tortured and kept prisoner for months. teal'c goes in search of her (along with the rest of sg1), but he's the one that finds her. he's cut off from the rest of the team, so it's just sam and teal'c escaping and surviving. but they can't get home right away, so it's their adventures until they do. and it's sam's slow recovery of her ordeal.

sam and daniel: they're on their way to atlantis on a ship, but the ship gets taken over by the entities from s7's Grace again. the aliens get tired of them and deposit them on a planet. sam and daniel are now stuck in another galaxy with no way of getting home. the basic premise is showing them trying.

sam and mitchell: sam is given command of the beta site, and while mitchell is visiting her, the base is taken over by aliens. half the ppl are killed/injured and the stargate is destroyed. sam is still in charge of the beta base, but she assigns mitchell to head up the military end of things. together, they find a way of fixing the gate and getting home.

(why are all my premises about them trying to find their way home? )

i'm apologizing ahead of time to AD and jckfan for the shippy (extreme ) aspects of this next scenario.

sam and jack: it's one year from now, and sam's returned to research and developement at area 51. but she's also gotten married to jack. landry falls ill and decides to leave stargate command. he recommends sam as his replacement. after talking to jack about it, she accepts. now sam's the head of the biggest of the biggest. the premise is her struggles with running the sgc. (since rda would still want to be semi in this show, i'm using him, basically, as just sam's husband. )

on weird scenarios...

sam and orlin: sam is fatally injured and orlin 'partially' ascends her. she's stuck between two worlds, and before she can return to the actual living, she must prove her worth. the catch, though, is it's all in sam's head. meaning, she was always capable to returning to corporal form, she just didn't 'want' it enough.

sam and pete: pete's a twirp and sam dumps him. (the show only lasts one ep )

sam and janet: on a mission to rescue a lost sg team, sam comes across janet. she's been living in a cell and had obviously been through a lot. through trying to rescue her, sam gets captured too. sam gets them out and gets them home, but it's discovered that janet is actually a clone. sam and clone janet go in search of the real janet, that had been pulled from the morgue at the sgc and revived. and cloned. and lost, after the asgard misplaced her. *snort*

sam and vala: the women discover that they have one big thing in common (besides the whole host thing) - vala's host was in love with jolinar. through memories, they discover the descendants of jolinar's and vala's host (don't remember her name) are alive and want to find them. reuniting with them would put a major painful part of their lives at rest. so they set off together to reunite their 'almost' families.

i think i'll stop now, since my premises are getting weaker as they go along.

sally
        ooh, plot bunnies!!

me loves plot bunnies!!!!
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
          Cool - anyone know which day of the week the mag is released?
          It's already out somewhere because I saw scans of it last week.

Comment

sam and tealc: sam is captured by a goauld and tortured and kept prisoner for months. teal'c goes in search of her (along with the rest of sg1), but he's the one that finds her. he's cut off from the rest of the team, so it's just sam and teal'c escaping and surviving. but they can't get home right away, so it's their adventures until they do. and it's sam's slow recovery of her ordeal.

sam and daniel: they're on their way to atlantis on a ship, but the ship gets taken over by the entities from s7's Grace again. the aliens get tired of them and deposit them on a planet. sam and daniel are now stuck in another galaxy with no way of getting home. the basic premise is showing them trying.

sam and mitchell: sam is given command of the beta site, and while mitchell is visiting her, the base is taken over by aliens. half the ppl are killed/injured and the stargate is destroyed. sam is still in charge of the beta base, but she assigns mitchell to head up the military end of things. together, they find a way of fixing the gate and getting home.

i'm apologizing ahead of time to AD and jckfan for the shippy (extreme ) aspects of this next scenario.

sam and jack: it's one year from now, and sam's returned to research and developement at area 51. but she's also gotten married to jack. landry falls ill and decides to leave stargate command. he recommends sam as his replacement. after talking to jack about it, she accepts. now sam's the head of the biggest of the biggest. the premise is her struggles with running the sgc. (since rda would still want to be semi in this show, i'm using him, basically, as just sam's husband. )

on weird scenarios...

sam and orlin: sam is fatally injured and orlin 'partially' ascends her. she's stuck between two worlds, and before she can return to the actual living, she must prove her worth. the catch, though, is it's all in sam's head. meaning, she was always capable to returning to corporal form, she just didn't 'want' it enough.

sam and janet: on a mission to rescue a lost sg team, sam comes across janet. she's been living in a cell and had obviously been through a lot. through trying to rescue her, sam gets captured too. sam gets them out and gets them home, but it's discovered that janet is actually a clone. sam and clone janet go in search of the real janet, that had been pulled from the morgue at the sgc and revived. and cloned. and lost, after the asgard misplaced her. *snort*

sam and vala: the women discover that they have one big thing in common (besides the whole host thing) - vala's host was in love with jolinar. through memories, they discover the descendants of jolinar's and vala's host (don't remember her name) are alive and want to find them. reuniting with them would put a major painful part of their lives at rest. so they set off together to reunite their 'almost' families.

sally
            Hey, Sal, these are some great plot bunnies! Maybe some of our fanfic authors will pick these up...

On edit: LOL! Take them and run, Sky!

My LJ

Comment

And speaking of plot bunnies... how about an encounter with an AU where Nazi Germany and Japan won WWII? I had this wonderful dream where SG-1 wasn't sure if their counterparts were good guys (very underground resistence) or loyal Nazis...

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                I was surprised that nothing of Ry'ac and his new bride were written into the Jaffa arc ... I think that connection would help to soften Teal'c a bit and give him a bit more to do. Unless, in order to do that, they have to revisit the whole Ishta connection too. I wonder if her character fell by the wayside because the focus was on introducing Vala. You know who impresses me? The new young woman Jaffa on the Council ... she has screen presence, something about her. I wouldn't mind Teal'c getting more scenes with her.
                Do you remember her brief introduction in Birthright?
                And, if they've brought back Dr. Lee, how far behind is Felger? A small dose wouldn't hurt for comic relief ... it can't all be about Vala's one-liners.
                Avenger 2.0 & The Other Guys was hilarious. I'd love to have him back, especially to watch his interactions w/ Sam. It was hysterical how she'd remain professional w/ his banter.
                I do like that they seem to be writing more lines for Walter, our loyal Technician. These familiar faces help to balance out the many changes for S9. Nothing like mom's apple pie and Walter at the controls, locking the Chevrons! Comfort food for the Gater soul!
                Very good point.

Goa'uld queen in possession of Daniel, Jonas and Martouf clones
                Lovely signature courtesy of Admiral Q O and Skydiver.

Comment

spoilers for s8's gemini

grr! this topic really gets me going, because it's the MALE writers being afraid of showing a woman in a real hard sitation that ISN'T about rape! there's absolutely *no* reason why they needed to pull back from the *real* impact of torture. i thought was fifth was doing to sam *was* torture, but they purposely pulled back from not only showing just how long it had been going on, but pulled back on the whole intensity of it as well. i could ask why, but i know why.

but of course, it could go just the opposite way and show too much horrible things (and as jerin knows, it's better than BEHEADING your fave character's head!! )

sally
                  I so agree with you on this. For years, on TV, they could show women being raped but not being kick-butt. I think it would be such a great episode to have a psychiatrist come in & talk to the SGC personnel. If would be an easy episode for TPTB, because they'd be able to use scenes from past episodes. It would also make the characters more human and therefore more relatable. Because it's a TV show, we forget how much psychological pressure the team has been through over the years. A "real" person would have gone insane a long time ago. To lighten things up, they could bring RDA or Felger, or dare I say, even Vala. I can imagine her hitting on the psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                    i think her name is kal'el, and yes, i like her too. she's kinda like sam in a way...a tiny little drop of estrogen in that sea of testosterone

she's also very level headed

if someone wants to write an 'amazon' episode....we need sam, vala, kal'el and novak on an adventure
                    Great idea! Let me put that on my list of "things to do". Actually, I still have Jack and Sam in Heat (stop laughin', FCOL ... it's the working title of my current fic) and I'll have to table the gals for a short while. But I do like that possibility.
                    Last edited by ChopinGal; 12 October 2005, 07:06 AM.

Comment

I'm not really a shipper, but I think it's terrible how they dragged things along for EIGHT years. For crying out loud, TPTB should resolve it.

on weird scenarios...

I loved Orlin, especially since Sean Patrick Flannery is so.....o pretty.

LOL
                      (((Janet))) I miss Janet. God forbit that TPTB would have TWO likeable female characters on the show. Pfft! The new Dr. is not all that likeable yet.

sally
                      I wanted to send you more green jello for these great plot bunnies. Sky, I'm sure I speak on behalf of countless others when I say we're all looking forward to reading the fics.

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                        I just found this reference to the next issue of the official Stargate magazine. http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....&postcount=149
                        Amanda's on the cover and it features the second half of the interview with her. It should be out in the next week or so.

NC
                        Thanks, NC, for this perk-me-up! Isn't it great to see just Amanda on the recent cover of a sci-fi magazine? She deserves some respect and good publicity now that she's returned! Looking forward to reading the article.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                          And speaking of plot bunnies... how about an encounter with an AU where Nazi Germany and Japan won WWII? I had this wonderful dream where SG-1 wasn't sure if their counterparts were good guys (very underground resistence) or loyal Nazis...
                          Having just returned from Warsaw, Auschwitz and Birkenau ... I'm wincing a bit about the plot. However, I could see some sort of freaky time travel back into WWII and Sam and team becoming a part of the Warsaw Rising and living that heroism.

God, I just plain would love to see AT cast in some kind of female-spy/soldier epic in a movie about WWII! The women of the Polish Underground were fighting and dying right beside their men.

OT The city's symbol is a Mermaid. A statue was cast right before the war broke out and a young college student posed for it. She became a member of the resistance and was killed in a hail of bullets during the first day of the uprising. She had also composed military songs to inspire the soldiers. Even though most of the city was destroyed by the Nazis, the original Mermaid Statue survived with just some bullet holes. It still stands in the heart of Warsaw. This is a reproduction of the Mermaid in Old Market Square.

Last edited by ChopinGal; 12 October 2005, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia

Hey, Sal, these are some great plot bunnies! Maybe some of our fanfic authors will pick these up...

LOL! Take them and run, Sky!
                            Omigosh, ROTFL - I never heard the term "plot bunnies" and, yes, Sal, you've come up with some great ones! If Sky doesn't take them and run, I may ask you for permission!

And, now, I must leave thread and vacuum the "dust bunnies" in my hallway!!

Comment

HI guys I am new and Sam is my favourite character
                              Its my sidearm I swear

Comment

Welcome - I hope you enjoy yourself here
                                gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                                so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                                love Torri

Comment

Working...
                                X