Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post

I've been getting my Sam 'fix' mostly via Stargate episodes on Hulu. Just re-watched Solitudes the other day and was blown away all over again with AT's performance and Sam's arc through the episode. I remember reading an interview where AT said that when she met with the producers at the end of S1 to ask about where the character was going in S2, they said that they were surprised by how much she'd brought to the role. I think Solitudes was one of the eps that really showed the writers how much they could do with Sam, probably beyond what they'd originally envisioned for the character.

And while it's impossible to pick just one, one of my all-time favorite Sam moments in the series was her little self-deprecating comment "I think too much," after she's described the remote odds of the SGC finding them to Jack. Just a great little character quirk that I think carried through the rest of the series.
    I love that moment too. It's a little thing, but says so much about the character and her relationship with O'Neill.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    In the early seasons it was also good that Gekko was there, and Michael Greenburg, because they seemed to listen to the actors and at least try to do what the actors said was best for the characters. We saw a lot less of that once Gekko left in s9 and 10.

so it was a bit of team work. an actress that totally bought into her character and worked to make her something special, and management that was willing to listen to her and her opinions
    Yes. I think there must have been a recognition in those that the actors as much as or more so than the writers were forming the characters.

Comment

and it's on the same island as the hotel and con...so a long walk/short drive
      Walking around Vancouver isn't bad at all. I still fondly remember my early morning jaunts with coffee/tea in hand as I went out to explore the local streets and neighborhoods. One of my favorite mornings had me on a bench on English Bay beach with a view of Burrard Street bridge and the huge steamer ships out on the water. It was so peaceful and just the thing I needed to begin my day. I'm looking forward to a repeat come July. *g*

A couple pics to show what I mean. Spoiled for OT and size...

Spoiler:

dropping off a little fic rec

http://community.livejournal.com/popupbooks/97083.html

it's an AU where Hathor stays on earth and the whole 'get rid of the goa'uld doesn't work

be warned, there is femslash in this, sam/hathor, although it's not explicit and 'heavy' in content

but if that's a squick, please give it a pass

but if you like 'sam against the world', you'll like this one
      Not a pairing I would normally expect, but I'm all over it. Thanks for the link.

Originally posted by katjoy View Post
      ^ they certainly did... its great how the actors were given that freedom and that their opinions on their characters were considered and respected... each of the actors brought so much extra to their characters and its those little moments that make a scene special...

the first time i saw urgo for eg when sam runs into fraiser and hammond in the hall and urgo is with her when the scene continued on with fraiser and hammond i kept watching sam and burst out laughing... everyone else had to ask me what was so funny since they had continued watching the scene and missed AT fighting with urgo all the way down the hall til she was off camera... i love that scene!

and the solitudes blooper is just classic, its just soooo funny!
      I absolutely loved that scene and Urgo just in general. It was one of the more hilarious eps.

Speaking of characters being allowed to add their input to a scene in the beginning seasons, does that include the little quirks as well? Like the 'row, row, row your boat' scene in Urgo (which I might add, I totally love as well)? Was that something extra that was added by mutual agreement by everyone or already scripted into the scene?

Gah, all this talk has me wanting to go watch Urgo again.

Comment

Originally posted by donamac View Post
        And BTW, I just tuned in to see a SG1 marathon--but the newspaper lied--it's Sanctuary! instead all days on the SYFY channel. Sorry everyone doesn't get it. Right now it's Requiem. Nice to have Amanda for a day!

donamac
        Nice. For Canadian fans, Sanctuary is on again tonight. I'll be out so I'll have to see what is on the Olympic schedule for tonight to decide which I'm taping. Luckily Sanctuary gets repeated a couple of times if I miss it tonight.

BTW, there was a bit on InnerSpace about Bigfoot slapping people. Cute part from AT saying he would never do that to Helen but then she said she kind of wished he would, it would be a nice sign of affection. However, she said he has too much respect for Helen to do it.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by kusanagi View Post
          Couldn't stop laughing when I saw it for the first time. The best example of what Sky described!!
          me either! and i still laugh every time i see it too... yeah it is a great example of what sky mentioned

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
          I absolutely loved that scene and Urgo just in general. It was one of the more hilarious eps.

Speaking of characters being allowed to add their input to a scene in the beginning seasons, does that include the little quirks as well? Like the 'row, row, row your boat' scene in Urgo (which I might add, I totally love as well)? Was that something extra that was added by mutual agreement by everyone or already scripted into the scene?

Gah, all this talk has me wanting to go watch Urgo again.
          i love that scene as well... its a perfect example of AT going that extra mile to add that something special to the scene, when she could have just walked off camera since the scene wasnt focusing on her anymore...

yeah the row, row, row your boat bit is great too...

urgo is definately a hilarious ep and im wanting to watch it again now too!

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
          Nice. For Canadian fans, Sanctuary is on again tonight. I'll be out so I'll have to see what is on the Olympic schedule for tonight to decide which I'm taping. Luckily Sanctuary gets repeated a couple of times if I miss it tonight.

BTW, there was a bit on InnerSpace about Bigfoot slapping people. Cute part from AT saying he would never do that to Helen but then she said she kind of wished he would, it would be a nice sign of affection. However, she said he has too much respect for Helen to do it.
          hehe, thats cute... i love the bigfoot head slaps... but i can totally see where he wouldnt even consider trying it on helen...
          "...but I think if I were to describe myself in pure feminist forms, I would say I want equality. We want respect not because we're women, but simply because we're human beings..." AT 'Live peace. Speak kindness. Dwell in possibility.'

Comment

hehe, thats cute... i love the bigfoot head slaps... but i can totally see where he wouldnt even consider trying it on helen...
            Or trying it on Amanda as they've talked about her 'knee' jerk reaction
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
              LOL totally
              "...but I think if I were to describe myself in pure feminist forms, I would say I want equality. We want respect not because we're women, but simply because we're human beings..." AT 'Live peace. Speak kindness. Dwell in possibility.'

Comment

if biggie head slaps her, she'll probably put peroxide in his shampoo or something
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                  Mmm ... I was wondering why there hadn't been any new posts in this thread for a while, but somehow apparantly my subscription got lost. Weird!
                  *goes to play catch up*
                  i lost my samandan subscription last week... it was the 2nd sub id lost... im keeping an eye on them now...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TITTA and RoX! Hope you both had great days
                  there seems to be some sort of glitch with the software that keeps unsubbing people. Darren is looking into it
                  OMG that happened to me too. Days went by and I didn't see a new post here in my subscription folder, I actually thought everyone was to busy watching the Olympics to come here and talk about fandom.

WHAT WAS I THINKING?! Happy birthday to those I missed.

Originally posted by wine_buyer View Post
                  We don't expect much of our Amanda do we?
                  BTW-Your new sig is adorable.
                  That's the thing about Amanda, as fans, we don't ask for much, but she always gives us a lot. In fact, we don't have to ask at all, she knows what we want and never fails to deliver. IMHO.

i get my sam fix by watching my dvds... solitudes is a great ep and there are some awesome sam moments in it... i like the 'i think too much' comment as well, and also like how she pretends to be jacks ex when he is not quiet with it... that was a really sweet of her to do...
                  thats our AT, showing the tptb that sam can be so much more then they ever envisaged and following up on her character development
                  Originally posted by kusanagi View Post

I think AT new from the beginning what she wanted for her character and I think Sam Carter is what AT wanted her to be. And I'm so glad Amanda managed to achieve it!!
                  definately, ill always be grateful to AT for standing up for herself and sam and helping to create a character to be proud of, a character that we can look up to and admire... she did an awesome job bringing sam to life and not just what she was given but little things here and there that were uniquely AT and wouldn't have happened had anyone else played the role...
                  amanda has talked about how, in the early seasons, the actors would meet with the writers/producers, and they'd discuss things. and there are cases like the solitudes blooper, which happened because AT was encouraged 'look, this is a trying set and hard to film in, so if you guys can lighten things up, that's fine. let's remember to have fun'.
                  when she and rick could - in upgrades - say 'yeah, don't like those lines, we're gonna do it this way' and were listened to instead of shut down. If you listen to commentaries or the occasional con comment, a lot of the moments that fans really like were the actors adding a little something. choosing to play it one way or another way, and those little bits added so much to the tapestry of the show
                  ^ they certainly did... its great how the actors were given that freedom and that their opinions on their characters were considered and respected... each of the actors brought so much extra to their characters and its those little moments that make a scene special...
                  the first time i saw urgo for eg when sam runs into fraiser and hammond in the hall and urgo is with her when the scene continued on with fraiser and hammond i kept watching sam and burst out laughing... everyone else had to ask me what was so funny since they had continued watching the scene and missed AT fighting with urgo all the way down the hall til she was off camera... i love that scene!
                  and the solitudes blooper is just classic, its just soooo funny!
                  I couldn't agree more with all of you. I've seen and read about shows like that, where there's trouble on set, and one actor fights with another and so on. I'm glad it's a stable, healthy and friendly working atmosphere with the Sanctuary cast. And they've made sacrifices, cutting their pay and giving it to the show, and so on. These people do what they do not for money, fame and all that other stuff, which is the goal for a lot of celebs, they do it for the fans and to bring something cool to TV.

I don't watch the show to check out the effects, I used to watch it 99% for Amanda, but now I watch it for the people, and to see who they are and what their stories are. This is a good cast, and it has something a lot of shows lack, SG-1 had that and... it's... it's something so special it doesn't even have a name. Maybe it's like Amanda's always said, perhaps it's because no one has a big ego an they kept their heads below the clouds.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I missed it. Wow, this is actually really weird, for *once* you're not to blame. Weird.

Why can't you tape the Innerspace episodes?

i love that scene as well... its a perfect example of AT going that extra mile to add that something special to the scene, when she could have just walked off camera since the scene wasnt focusing on her anymore...
                  yeah the row, row, row your boat bit is great too...
                  urgo is definately a hilarious ep and im wanting to watch it again now too!
                  Like I said from above, you don't need to ask her, she just does.

Like Innerspace girl EH-T said up there about AT wanting Bigfoot to do that, I have to agree with you Kat, I don't ever see him doing that to Helen. Because even though he's... him, he's still a gentleman, and she's a lady, and he has a LOT of respect for her. So I don't see him touching her like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                    owwie

Ya know, with a dvr you could record both.
                    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                    William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                    Anon

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                      That's what I said. Maybe we should go down there and give EH-T a talking to.

Comment

Happy belated Birthday Tittamiire and RoX

Thank you Ambermoon for the sigs!

Comment

Originally Posted by majorsal
                          october is, like, forever away!

and who knows when (if) the 3rd sg1 movie is going to come out...

at least amanda could do an ep of some show every week, to help us amandaholics through our withdrawals.

LOL very nice put Sally. I love the word " Amandaholic", great word you invented there

Well Samandans what do you think: shall we all join AAM ? (Anonymous Amandaholics)

" Hello, I'm Daivy and I've been a Amandaholic since ... about 2001.
                          It first started at watching cause I like the show, than the actress, than I watch a re-run of a Stargate episide just to see her... And now it's even worse

I hope there is no cure for it, and if there is, is the cure More Amanda ?"

Thank you Ambermoon for the sigs!

Comment

Really?

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
                            That's what I said. Maybe we should go down there and give EH-T a talking to.
                            Or give me a DVR.

OT Olympics:

The Kiwis have the coolest skeleton outfits.

Saw an Aussie inflated boxing kangaroo in the background of one of the events today and it was wearing the Canadian Olympic red mittens! Hilarious! I've seen them on a number of fans from other countries (including Lindsay Vonn's mother), the American broadcasters and now Oprah. She was apparently wearing them the other day on her show and gave everyone in the audience a pair. Canadians=fashion trendsetters.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Really?

Or give me a DVR.

OT Olympics:

The Kiwis have the coolest skeleton outfits.

Saw an Aussie inflated boxing kangaroo in the background of one of the events today and it was wearing the Canadian Olympic red mittens! Hilarious! I've seen them on a number of fans from other countries (including Lindsay Vonn's mother), the American broadcasters and now Oprah. She was apparently wearing them the other day on her show and gave everyone in the audience a pair. Canadians=fashion trendsetters.
                              Yabetcha. DVR's will record two channels at once. Comes in very handy. And most of them will store up to 30-40 hrs, so you can take your time getting around to watching what you've recorded. (You can store an enitre season of Sanctuary ) And the best thing is it will be the same quality as the original broadcast. And if you already have a cable box, upgrading to a dvr/cable box is pretty cheap. When I first got one it added $6 a month to my bill, I think I'm paying $11 now for the HD box.

The Olympics have been rocking! There's been some awesome competitions. Though I thought Dube/Davison - the Canadian pairs skaters - should have been ranked higher. They were amazing to watch.

Back on topic:
                              I know Damian and MingNa have been following everything. Do you think Amanda is? Which olympic sport would Sam compete in?
                              Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                              William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                              Anon

Comment

Back on topic:
                                I know Damian and MingNa have been following everything. Do you think Amanda is? Which olympic sport would Sam compete in?
                                Boarder Cross.

No I'm not projecting my own obsession with snowboarding at all...
                                sigpic
                                Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                                My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Working...
                                X