Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
    Hee, I did that on the 1st. Definitely one of my top 10 favorite SG-1 eps. And didn't AT get a Gemini nod for her performance in it? I esp enjoyed her scenes with Janet and Joe.

I don't think it was a Gemini award or nomination but rather a Leo award. I could be wrong but I thought the Geminis had pretty much ignored Stargate and the scifi genre (except for special effects noms) until this past year when Sanctuary received several nominations. That's why I asked a question about it at AT4. I think perhaps her only previous Gemini nom was for some voted-on-by-fan category for hottest TV star. Don't get me wrong with the eyeroll, it's not that she isn't a very attractive woman I just think the award shows should recognise acting talent (which she has in spades) not be a "beauty contest". It was equally offensive to men as there was also a hottest male category.

P.S. As a luddite, I love your sig!

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
      I don't think it was a Gemini award or nomination but rather a Leo award. I could be wrong but I thought the Geminis had pretty much ignored Stargate and the scifi genre (except for special effects noms) until this past year when Sanctuary received several nominations. That's why I asked a question about it at AT4. I think perhaps her only previous Gemini nom was for some voted-on-by-fan category for hottest TV star. Don't get me wrong with the eyeroll, it's not that she isn't a very attractive woman I just think the award shows should recognise acting talent (which she has in spades) not be a "beauty contest". It was equally offensive to men as there was also a hottest male category.
      I checked the Gemini website and it does say she was nominated in 2001 for Best Actress in a Dramatic series, which I believe was for her performances in S4. Though you're right, aside from AT and a Guest Actor nom for Jay Brazeau in Tin Man, the rest of Stargate's noms or wins were in technical categories.

It is a shame that great performances are often overlooked by these awards organizations because the actor happens to be on a scifi show or film. I'm still disappointed that BSG never got any Emmy acting noms during its run.

P.S. As a luddite, I love your sig!
      Hee, thanks. It's from the Rhymes with Orange comic strip by Hilary Price. I love her stuff.

ETA: Just found this good Sam fic, post-Ascension, small shippy warning, but mostly some of the fallout re Sam's trust in her team that I wish we'd gotten on the show.
      http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5655232/1/After_the_Rise
      Last edited by EvenstarSRV; 10 January 2010, 03:19 PM.

sigpic

Comment

You're gonna have to wrap any plot spoilery caps in tags until at least this summer

non spoilery ones can be used, but they need to not spoil the plot or outcome

a sig, for example, with a caption that spoils the end of sleepers, would definitely not be appreciated by those that haven't seen it
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by katjoy View Post
          very cool congrats! and so cool hearing amanda talk about oz and get all excited...

im squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeing myself... rocky was awesome enough to organise with eh-t who was awesome enough to get a copy of s1 of sanctuary signed for me by amanda at AT4 since she couldnt make it to oz for arma... it arrived today and its just sooooooo awesome! i love it to pieces, and just keep looking at it...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...utograph01.jpg

((rocky)) and ((eh-t)) i know ive said this, but i cant say it enough, thank you both so much!

ps. if the pic is too big sky can you let me know and ill make it smaller, cheers
          I know I've already congrats you, but I wanted to do it again.

I'm so happy for you, I know how much you were looking forward to meeting her, and how bummed out you were when she couldn't make it. I wanted to give you something to keep that hope alive, and now you have an autograph from her, and hopefully soon you'll get a hug from her. Oh, and now you know how I was when I got my DVD's signed.

thanks for the link

that was my favourite line too...

congrats rocky, sally, RoX and morjana for having questions answered by amanda! very cool

loved olivias response to a potential acting role, so adorable...
          Thank you Kat, and that was also my favorite line too, and she's right, women don't need to say sorry for being strong.

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
          i think b/c we keep asking the questions.

i *loved* her answering again , but i didn't like my question being reworded... (i asked: "what is Helen's biggest regret?")

on another topic; i stopped listening to the podcasts, so when the show is off on hiatis, i still have something newish, sanctuary wise.

another long, loooong wait is coming...
          My question was also reworded a bit, but I didn't mind, I'm just Amanda answered it. Oh, and jan 29 is only 3 weeks away, than I see what happened to Helen and Will after Next Tuesday.

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
          Back on topic, I've been meaning to rewatch 2010 (one of my favourite episodes) since it is now 2010. has anyone done this?
          Well, the Aschen aren't on Earth, and Kinsey isn't president, so I saw so far so good.

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
          There were lots of people referring to the Aschen on my friendspage on Twitter etc at the beginning of january, took me a while to figure out why

I've been watching lots of Stargate, because I'm often too tired to play on the computer these days. I'll put an episode on while I'm getting ready for bed, most of the time I'm asleep before I get to the end lol. I'm now in S7 again (started at 6, cause I like it) and should try to see the end of Avenger lol.
          I love your baby sig Lies, another big congrats.

Comment

Well everyone I'm off to bed now, I have to get up early for my first day of collage. I'm not too nervous, I've been going to school for like, what, 15 years?

Thanks for all you good wishes, greens and PM'S and what. I don't know what things will be like for me in a months time, but I'll get through it, I always have, and in a year (hopefully less) I'll be done and my school days will be over. I'll miss a lot of it, school really has taken up a big portion of my life. Oh well, let's just see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
              There were lots of people referring to the Aschen on my friendspage on Twitter etc at the beginning of january, took me a while to figure out why

I've been watching lots of Stargate, because I'm often too tired to play on the computer these days. I'll put an episode on while I'm getting ready for bed, most of the time I'm asleep before I get to the end lol. I'm now in S7 again (started at 6, cause I like it) and should try to see the end of Avenger lol.
              the baby counter is very cute... congrats lies

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
              I know I've already congrats you, but I wanted to do it again.

I'm so happy for you, I know how much you were looking forward to meeting her, and how bummed out you were when she couldn't make it. I wanted to give you something to keep that hope alive, and now you have an autograph from her, and hopefully soon you'll get a hug from her. Oh, and now you know how I was when I got my DVD's signed.
              thanks again (rocky)

Thank you Kat, and that was also my favorite line too, and she's right, women don't need to say sorry for being strong.
              youre welcome and most definately!

Well everyone I'm off to bed now, I have to get up early for my first day of collage. I'm not too nervous, I've been going to school for like, what, 15 years?
              good luck, hope your first day of college goes well
              "...but I think if I were to describe myself in pure feminist forms, I would say I want equality. We want respect not because we're women, but simply because we're human beings..." AT 'Live peace. Speak kindness. Dwell in possibility.'

Comment

Ok...gonna be a quick post as we're about to be over run by hubby's sisters family who will seek refuge at our house while the heat takes its toll....remember when I said I would attempt to bake a cake in my car coz it gets so hot here that when I get in my car after work it's like opening an oven door? Well today I did it! I actually baked a date loaf in my car while I worked away in the dungeon of doom. It was on the back parcel shelf in the car from 10.30am til 4.30pm and apart from some sweating, it was cooked through and is deliciously fresh and soft! I will post a vid and pics once I can downland them off the camera...hopefully by the end of the week. It got to 44C today and is currently 38C at 20.11hrs! *hugs my a/c*
                Re: the walk/drive to work thing...as much as I would love to walk to work, it's just too far away from home to do so...and currently too hot! Besides, when you have a family to feed you can't afford to walk the 10km home at 5pm and then cook dinner.

(((Samandans)))
                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

lol

ok, that IS hot.

we're finally warming up. after 11 days in the single digets or below, we just might hit freezing today and have some of the snow and ice melting
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                    I checked the Gemini website and it does say she was nominated in 2001 for Best Actress in a Dramatic series, which I believe was for her performances in S4. Though you're right, aside from AT and a Guest Actor nom for Jay Brazeau in Tin Man, the rest of Stargate's noms or wins were in technical categories.

It is a shame that great performances are often overlooked by these awards organizations because the actor happens to be on a scifi show or film. I'm still disappointed that BSG never got any Emmy acting noms during its run.

Hee, thanks. It's from the Rhymes with Orange comic strip by Hilary Price. I love her stuff.

ETA: Just found this good Sam fic, post-Ascension, small shippy warning, but mostly some of the fallout re Sam's trust in her team that I wish we'd gotten on the show.
                    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5655232/1/After_the_Rise
                    Thanks for checking that. I knew they had largely been ignored and that included noms for the actors, writers and shows which were, by and large, Canadian.

When I asked about it at AT4 AT said that she thought a lot of that had to do with it being sci fi and that sci fi did not get the recognition it deserved but that is now changing somewhat. She also mentioned that the Geminis are rather Toronto centric so productions from elsewhere in Canada tend to get less recognition. Funny, I think if I check my post after she got the nom for Sanctuary I pretty much said the same thing when discussing why she probably wouldn't win.

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                    Ok...gonna be a quick post as we're about to be over run by hubby's sisters family who will seek refuge at our house while the heat takes its toll....remember when I said I would attempt to bake a cake in my car coz it gets so hot here that when I get in my car after work it's like opening an oven door? Well today I did it! I actually baked a date loaf in my car while I worked away in the dungeon of doom. It was on the back parcel shelf in the car from 10.30am til 4.30pm and apart from some sweating, it was cooked through and is deliciously fresh and soft! I will post a vid and pics once I can downland them off the camera...hopefully by the end of the week. It got to 44C today and is currently 38C at 20.11hrs! *hugs my a/c*
                    Re: the walk/drive to work thing...as much as I would love to walk to work, it's just too far away from home to do so...and currently too hot! Besides, when you have a family to feed you can't afford to walk the 10km home at 5pm and then cook dinner.

(((Samandans)))
                    I'm taking cold over that any day!

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    lol

ok, that IS hot.

we're finally warming up. after 11 days in the single digets or below, we just might hit freezing today and have some of the snow and ice melting
                    We are too. By tomorrow it will be plus 3C!

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

(((Samandans)))
                      I wait eagerly for your pics/vid of your oven car baked bread. Very cool experiment btw!

I once fried an egg on the hood of my friends car one summer when it was unbearably hot and humid. It took a few hours, but when we came back, it was perfectly done. All it needed was a bit of seasoning and we could have eaten it if we were so inclined. I kid you not.

Our temps are supposed to go up this week too. The weather folks keep saying Wednesday and Thursday will be our 'big' warm up with highs reaching the upper 30's or possibly lower 40's. I'm personally just glad I got my skiing in on Saturday when the drifts were crazily enormous and before everything starts to melt.

Comment

Brilliant! Car cake could be the new culinary sensation.

We were up to zero all day today, but there is +1C forecast for Thursday!

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                        I once fried an egg on the hood of my friends car one summer when it was unbearably hot and humid. It took a few hours, but when we came back, it was perfectly done. All it needed was a bit of seasoning and we could have eaten it if we were so inclined. I kid you not.
                        We fried an egg on the sand in France once summer holiday during a heatwave years ago...I wouldn't have eaten if after we'd accidentally kicked sand over it, but it was indeed cooked.
                        sigpic
                        Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                        My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
                          We fried an egg on the sand in France once summer holiday during a heatwave years ago...I wouldn't have eaten if after we'd accidentally kicked sand over it, but it was indeed cooked.
                          I can understand metal reflecting the heat of the sun, but sand? Hmm...I don't doubt it though. Our beaches here during the summer get intolerable to walk across barefoot so flip flops are definitely needed. I wonder if its the composition of the sand (iron perhaps?) that make it possible though?

I finally found a copy of 'Engaged to Kill' in which Amanda plays a detective put on a kidnapping case. Been a bit busy today, so I'm hoping to watch it sometime tomorrow. Has anyone seen it themselves?

Comment

I can understand metal reflecting the heat of the sun, but sand? Hmm...I don't doubt it though. Our beaches here during the summer get intolerable to walk across barefoot so flip flops are definitely needed. I wonder if its the composition of the sand (iron perhaps?) that make it possible though?

I finally found a copy of 'Engaged to Kill' in which Amanda plays a detective put on a kidnapping case. Been a bit busy today, so I'm hoping to watch it sometime tomorrow. Has anyone seen it themselves?
                            Basic Lifetime movie fare. Not great, not bad. Amanda's wonderful of course.
                            Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                            William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                            Anon

Comment

thanks again (rocky)

youre welcome and most definately!

good luck, hope your first day of college goes well
                              You're welcome and thank you.

Well, today was my first day, and it was actually pretty good. I got up at 5 to take the 6am bus to Mississauga, than another bus to the school. I don't have any homework but I'm tired though, and the most enjoyable time I had was on the bus , I went on one of those buses with a second floor and it was cool.

I thought of Julia a bit while I was there, thinking of how she has to do it everyday, and I figured if she can, so can I. I have a lot more respect for her and everyone here who went to collage.

Which makes me want to ask, for those here who went to collage, what we're y'all like there?

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                              Oh wow, it seems I have to see this movie.

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                                Yea, I have to agree with rderoch on this one The movie's not the best written, but Amanda does her best with the role she's given
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X