Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by sg-1fanintn:
    Gotta be Photoshopped. I think they put parts together to get the effect they wanted for the story.
    True, the picture is freakishly apropos for the write up below it. Maybe it is just a heavily photoshopped image.

I mean, come on, with all the spoilers that have come out, could TPTB really keep something like the SGC going public under wraps for so long? Does anyone know when the magazine is from? What month? Could the image be from the 2nd half of the season?

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
      Nah, there's a promo pic from Heroes that looks up at her standing at the podium. Same height as it is in that Pentagon pic
      Really? I missed that one.

Shucks. I'd love to see Sam wearing that many ribbons. <sighs in disappointment>

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
        Really? I missed that one.

Shucks. I'd love to see Sam wearing that many ribbons. <sighs in disappointment>
        Yeah, have a look at it here. 3rd row down on the right. Looks almost exactly the same shot, except for the extra ribbons and badge on the Pentagon one.

Comment

Yeah, have a look at it here. 3rd row down on the right. Looks almost exactly the same shot, except for the extra ribbons and badge on the Pentagon one.
          Oh, hey, you're right. They're almost identical. Thanks for the link!

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by jerin
            [/color]

Hi, Sky! Good to have you back safe & sound. Hugs Sky.

I'm probably going to get many rocks thrown at me for this, but I have to express this. I've been reading all the negative reactions to Vala & something just occurred to me (while I was brushing my teeth to be attractive to the men in my office). Why did most Sam fans and I dislike Vala? I don't think it was only because she seemed immature & preoccupied with sex. I think it's because during the 1st four episodes, they tried to replace Sam's void w/ Vala, since she's another female character. Why not have more likeable female characters on a more regular basis, and not pit them against one another? It would've been so nice to see some positive interactions between Vala & Sam. In a male character, we might look at the same qualities as less annoying.

The problem is that TPTB don't write many good female characters for sg-1. Think back at all the female characters in the show. 1st of all, there are fewer female than male characters. 3/4 of the members of sg-1 are male, and so are the commanding officer and re-curring members of the SGC, such as Syler. With RDA leaving, they had the perfect opportunity to bring aboard another woman, but why do that? Let’s keep Scifi, like the rest of the world, male dominated. Most of the other re-currying characters are also male, such as Baal, Anubis, most of the Tok'ra, etc. If they happen to have a female character on, 99% of the time, she's either negative or has to be clad in suffocating tight clothes, such as Anise. It seems that TPTB only have room for a limited number of female characters, and even those few numbers have to fall under stereotypes, like Vala being the sexed craze femme fatale. I'm grateful that at least they usually write Sam pretty well. I won't go into the whole wishy-washy Sam that they had us endure a little while back.

After thinking of this, I wish Vala would return, w/ more redeeming features, & not just as someone who's there to make Daniel squirm.

Yeah, I’m in a bad mood right now. In case you couldn’t tell from the anger in the post.

thank you for posting your thoughts.

i think, for me, i wasn't against the 'idea' of a vala-type character, it's the delivery and the *extreme* over abundance of this character that's made me twitch. but i think even worse than that are the fans that *immediately* decided that vala was better than sam and should 'replace' her on the show and team. and literally every single one of these ppl had an agenda behind it.

i never looked as vala as a replacement for sam, just a female character stand-in until sam/amanda returned. that's why i watched prometheus unbound last season, because i wanted to see sam's stand-in. i despised that ep, and was looking at all of vala's season 9 eps with dread. and then i saw how the show handled vala in s9. it's a 50/50 deal for me of a like/dislike situation.

season 7 spoilers below

let's say the writers hadn't offed janet, i think janet being sam's stand-in in season 9 would have been *wonderful*. first off, she wouldn't have just been 'daniel's' plaything, and we would have been seeing a respectable and loved character through these first five/six eps.

like i said, i'm not against a vala-type character, just not played as all sex kitten or have her screen time take over the show. i like the jack-maybourne dynamic, and i sure as heck wouldn't want to see six eps in a row of it, especially when all the other characters were pushed back to the side for it.

do i want to see vala return? sure. i hope they spread her character around, though, and don't make her return appearance into another multiple ep arc in a row. please.

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

yeah, but WHY would they take the time to photoshop a pic like that?

why not just simply use the existing one?
              it'd be cheaper and easier
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

in many ways, vala served a vital purpose

she filled in the lack of estrogen the show was suffering. and she was good for daniel. imho, she distracted shanks enough that he actually acted better in response to her than he did as a 'normal' daniel. around vala, shanks didn't try to hard so he acted more natural

and she did bring up a bit of the 'consequences of being snaked' bits that they've ignored for years - although big huge goobers to tptb for never dealing with that part of sam.

however HOW her character was introduced/portrayed got on my nerves.
                yes, the sex kitten did get on my nerves. i personally found it cheap and trite for a show that has normally kept itself above that level.

in many ways, vala was a huge cliche. bad girl shown the light by the ever saintly daniel and mends her errant ways.

in beachhead, yes, she did have good lines and brought in some humor...but there were times when i wanted to slap her and shut her up. her irreverance in defiance to the serious nature of the plot got annoying

would i like her back? eh, whatever. if she's back as the smart mouthed sex kitten i'll pass. those are a dime a dozen.

if she's back as the angsted ex-host confronting her past then sure. in that character she has some depth. as the sex kitten she's nothing more than any other well endowed guest star in a too small and too revealing costume
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

While reading that article, it appears to me that the article itself was about the length of Sc-Fi related shows and how the Gate is rivaling the X-files for the longest-running Sci-Fi show. I think the end was a bit tongue-in-cheek at how the Gate could run for another 7 years (yr. 16) with Sam running "Off-World Security" to President O'Neill. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Sam make it up there in rank.

Just my $0.02 before heading out.
                  sigpic

Comment

And CMO Cassandra Fraiser

In fact... I wonder if that would make a decent fic? I read one with Sam as a Brigidier General in command of the SGC. Was pretty good, had some nice scenes in her office with Captain Hailey talking about her former team who were all dead. But then it got wierd when Clone!Jack came along, and Sam resigns to be with him Started good, but ended crap
                    true love must win, AD!!

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                      I agree. It would just be too weird. Personally I've chosen to block from my mind the idea of the O'Neill clone still out there somewhere. This for me was one of the main problems with the episode--going for laughs without dealing with the consequences. (steps out on a limb) I actually think it would have been better for mini Jack to have died. TPTB talk about having situations where SG1 doesn't win--here was a prime opportunity if you ask me. Which you didn't. I'm just saying.
                      i didn't like 'fragile balance', and i'm sure i'm one of the few. i felt it was out of character for jack, especially the end. you're right, they didn't take this ep seriously, and i think mini jack should have died too.

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

You know I have been a Stargate fan and Sci-fi fan for many years now but I only lurked at fan sites from time to time. This year has been the most involved I have been on a fan site. And I think that my enjoyment of the Vala character was not ruined by the character or any thoughts of her replacing Sam but by the rabid fans of that character.

This occurred to me the other day, when I was watching some taped reruns of the eps. The Vala character has dropped pretty much all the OTT sexual innuendo and has fallen into a nice "Chiana" kind of vibe which I like but yet I found every time Vala came onto the screen I felt... I dunno, aggravated, annoyed. Then I realized I wasnt really thinking of the character I was thinking of specific fans of that character. Once I stopped myself from doing that the character, and more importantly Stargate was again back to being great.

So it appears to me that over exuberant fans can have the same dampening affect on a character that too many spoilers can have on an episode. What is the solution to this? Well I try to avoid spoilers so now I guess I will have to try to avoid certain post. Its a shame there is no [overexuberant fan] [/overexuberant fan] tag since it seems every post in the forum gets directed by the overexuberant fans. I guess I could stop coming to GW. I didn’t come here last year and I loved SG-1 just fine, but then I feel like I am abandoning the other non-overexuberant fans. Hmmm well maybe TPTB have solved this problem for me. I will play on GW until Midseason and if I still find myself aggravated then I will just move on I guess.
                        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I ment to quote majorsal but gateword doesnt like me anymore. Probably because I occasionally insult saint vala.. bad me.

EDIT: oh and OT. Sams a great character (good title because its true). I think the picture was faked for the artical. But it would be cool to see General Carter, but only if the show goes another 8 years... or they do a million year in the future look back at pivitol events like they did on B5 .
                          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

And CMO Cassandra Fraiser

In fact... I wonder if that would make a decent fic? I read one with Sam as a Brigidier General in command of the SGC. Was pretty good, had some nice scenes in her office with Captain Hailey talking about her former team who were all dead. But then it got wierd when Clone!Jack came along, and Sam resigns to be with him Started good, but ended crap
                            I didn't think she resigned to be WITH him. I thought she just resigned because it all became too much for her to deal with. Her family was gone. I remember that being a really well-done, very sad fic with the guys out of the picture.

Comment

Here are the pics side-by-side (thanks AD for the link to Heroes II). Sure looks like it was Photoshopped. Even the slight left tilt of the podium is the same. I cropped the Heroes shot to be similar to the pic on the left.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                                I didn't think she resigned to be WITH him. I thought she just resigned because it all became too much for her to deal with. Her family was gone. I remember that being a really well-done, very sad fic with the guys out of the picture.
                                Oh that was the impression I got... But then I did read it ages ago

Comment

Working...
                                X