Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carterslave
    Save that the show got renewed & yet they still killed Fraiser. Grrrrr ...

No, but the Vala-Dictorian types are exceptionally vocal & we all know which wheel gets the grease.
    What do you mean 'most popular'? It didn't get the ratings of Avalon/Origin, so what measure are we using? Of course, I agree w/ you that it's hard to go wrong when Brad Wright is doing the script, especially if it has angsty possibilities (think Abyss). We'd all like to have our cake & eat it, too. But adding another regular might come with a price we don't like. (I've come to enjoy CB's performance but I don't see how *that* character can be integrated into SG-1 w/o turning the show into a star vehicle. The character is written to stand out & take the spotlight, not blend into an ensemble.)

Yes, wrong on every level about Frasier. I agree.

Sure the Vala-Dictorian types are vocal but the question is, how much power do they really have? I would think very little. And I think TPTB knows who they are. And why would JM come here if he didn't at least look at the general comments.

For Beachhead, I only meant the fan board reactions---particularly at Gateworld---the highest rating so far is beachead--because we were discussing fanboards. (I looked at comments on other boards too and it was postive except for the one that dislikes Sam and the other one that many from this same forum who dislike sam are posting on regularly).

I wouldn't even use the neilsen ratings for a reason to bring Vala on as a regular. Over the six arc episode the ratings did drop from 2.1 to 1.9 (I don't think this is actually do to Vala, but probably more to a combination of things). I can bet you though that TPTB were hoping for a higher season opener rating than they got.

And yes, Vala is great to me as a recurring character---not a member of the team. IMO, it would ruin her character if she became a member of the team. Recurring characters are key to the foundation of the show (oh like Janet, Hammond, Jacob, and Bra'tac). I see Vala as another key recurring character that would add intrigue into the show. Sam on the other hand IS the science part of science fiction show, and is right now demonstrating alot more competence as a military officer than Mitchell.

Hopefully we won't pay the price and AT will be happy either continuing with the show as she mentions in the interview, or happy leaving the show for happy reasons. I can see why you are skeptical though given Teryl Rothery's situation.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
      I just lost a post ... but, minigeek ... you are so right on about creatively taking a trite and tired plot for Babylon and breathing fresh life into it by making the woman the hero! AT is ready for more Death Knell kinds of episodes ... has said so herself. And let's not play the post-preggers disadvantage card here ... her stunt double could have handled some of the martial-arts stuff and it would have been doable. What a missed opportunity. It would have also bolstered Sam's image in this stage of returning ... sigh!

Too bad we didn't have you on the writing team, mg!

I agree with you and minigeek. While I was watching the episode, I thought what would it be like to have Sam in this position---fabulous.

I don't think, though, that it would have bolstered Sam's image. The fans who loved seeing her back already see her in a good light. The minority that could care less about her would find sooooooooo much to complain about. Imagine if Sam made the mistakes that Mitchell made in the beginning. Fans are actually seeing the problems with Mitchell, but if Sam did it---watch out from this minority. But who cares anyway---yes, if this episode would centered around Sam it would have been awesome (provided they would have also written better team interactions too).

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
        I didn't say it had *no* appeal, just less ... and that's based on the way AT is playing it this year.

Did I miss a scene? He gave a nice sales pitch early in Avalon, but in Beach Head she was just there to deploy the "bawmb" (Canadian for "bomb"). Next thing we know, she's pushing a dolly full of boxes down an SGC corridor. WTF? Some exposition would have been nice, especially w/ old pal Daniel right there. Confessing intimate personal stuff to Barrett, though, was A) squicky, B) out of character and C) bad writing. I guess they couldn't find any other place to put all that info, so they dumped it there. One more reason why Ex Deus Machina was El Stinkeroo.
        LOL

Well I think AT has been playing it reserved because as an actress she felt a tinge of reservation for the first few eps...

As for the incredible exposition you're clamoring for, it was during the "walk and talk" Cam and Sam had (I'm a poet and didn't know it)...whilst heading toward Daniel in the infirmary aboard the Prometheus at the end of Beachhead:

MITCHELL: You know, these Ori are just going to try it again.
        CARTER: Probably.
        MITCHELL: Sam, we could sure use someone like you on the front line. Just think about it. *he heads off ahead*

That apparently was enough for our beloved queen to rethink Cassie's problems and ditch heading the R&D facility at Area 51.

What was I thinking wanting more than that? That's enough, right???

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra

I don't think it's a matter of them not respecting Amanda or her work, it's a matter of economics, and while they may respect her, and her work, it's profits that move them and make the decisions. They'd miss her personally, and maybe miss her professionally, but they'd still say goodbye.

I see what you are saying, but two things. Profits do move them---yes this is true, but are you saying that having AT on the show is making them lose money! I bet that alot of fans were not jumping ship just yet for season 9 because she was coming back. So are you saying that CB will make more profits for them? On what evidence would they believe this? Her fans are vocal, but Farscape did not have great ratings. (AT fans are focal too). Are you saying that having CB INSTEAD of AT will be more profitable? Why?

You made some great points about Sam's "usefulness" in season 9, but I don't agree. Why bring AT back at all if Sam's role is now obsolete---just to give the pregnant lady a break for her last season? Why even bother. Also, the Ori use technology amidst all this fantasy---Sam is needed to help figure out what the heck they are capable of and defeat them. And right now, from where I stand, she is far more competent as military officer than Mitchell (but obviously they could make Mitchell more competent). Yes, Teal'c is needed right now (even though he has been wallpapered more than I've ever seen him), but the Jaffa story line is getting old---is it profitable to keep this storyline for season 10?

I thank you for your response and honesty -- I obviously seem to be much more naive about this.

Comment

Ok.....ok.....here we go again. Everyone, step slowly....SLOWLY.....back from the edge. A quote out of context, a few contentious idiots on another thread, and suddenly, the bar's open all night and the Kingdom is in an uproar!

Doing battle with contentious idiots is something we all have to do from time to time. Über did us proud tonight. But let's not jump head-first off a cliff.

Is the writing uneven and inadequate so far this season? Yes.

Was there a lot of clamoring over BB and CB from the "critics" and their fan base? Yes.

Did TPTB buy into it to launch the new season? Yes.

Were TPTB scared to death because they had lost their leading man and bonafide big star? Yes.

But none of this means that anything bad is amiss for AT or the show in general. If you're feeling unsettled, write some letters; send some e-mails. Let the pinheads at Skiffy know how you feel. Let TPTB know how you feel. Or let's put together a strategy to lobby with our combined power. But let's not just go off the deep end. I agree with all the points you have all made tonight. But if we feel there's really danger amiss, let's put our efforts into a coordinated response.

I never defend TPTB. I think they've made some pretty indefensible decisions over the past few years. But they've also managed to create a sci-fi franchise that is about to challenge Trek as the most successful of all time. So I have to believe that in taking the "long view," they're not as stupid as we think they are. I could be wrong.....but I hope we'll all be happier when the second half of S9 begins to air.

Just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
              Ok.....ok.....here we go again. Everyone, step slowly....SLOWLY.....back from the edge. A quote out of context, a few contentious idiots on another thread, and suddenly, the bar's open all night and the Kingdom is in an uproar!

Doing battle with contentious idiots is something we all have to do from time to time. Über did us proud tonight. But let's not jump head-first off a cliff.

Is the writing uneven and inadequate so far this season? Yes.

Was there a lot of clamoring over BB and CB from the "critics" and their fan base? Yes.

Did TPTB buy into it to launch the new season? Yes.

Were TPTB scared to death because they had lost their leading man and bonafide big star? Yes.

But none of this means that anything bad is amiss for AT or the show in general. If you're feeling unsettled, write some letters; send some e-mails. Let the pinheads at Skiffy know how you feel. Let TPTB know how you feel. Or let's put together a strategy to lobby with our combined power. But let's not just go off the deep end. I agree with all the points you have all made tonight. But if we feel there's really danger amiss, let's put our efforts into a coordinated response.

I never defend TPTB. I think they've made some pretty indefensible decisions over the past few years. But they've also managed to create a sci-fi franchise that is about to challenge Trek as the most successful of all time. So I have to believe that in taking the "long view," they're not as stupid as we think they are. I could be wrong.....but I hope we'll all be happier when the second half of S9 begins to air.

Just sayin'.

Thanks sg-1fanintn! Wise words.

Can't rep anyone ever it seems at the moment.

I think I'll go post in Qasim's Favorite Sam Carter Hairstyle thread, stepping back from the edge!!!
              Last edited by chocdoc; 11 September 2005, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                Thanks sg-1fanintn! Wise words.

Can't rep anyone ever it seems at the moment.

I think I'll go post in Qasim's Favorite Sam Carter Hairstyle thread, stepping back from the edge!!!
                Speaking of her hair, I just don't see how any of her styles of other seasons even come CLOSE to the coolness that was her hair during parts of Season 8:

I mean, come on. It's take charge. It's on the go. It's footloose and fancy free. It's a hairstyle that confidentally shouts from the rooftops, "I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' VIDAL SASSOON!!!"

Well, that's what it says to me at least...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                  Speaking of her hair, I just don't see how any of her styles of other seasons even come CLOSE to the coolness that was her hair during parts of Season 8:

http://uberamandafan.com/assets/images/iconsam.jpg

I mean, come on. It's take charge. It's on the go. It's footloose and fancy free. It's a hairstyle that confidentally shouts from the rooftops, "I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' VIDAL SASSOON!!!"

Well, that's what it says to me at least...

Agreed. It's a nice, natural, tousled look. (Also goes well w/ a certain general's casual look. )

It's also interesting to note that S8
                  Spoiler:
                  Replicarter escaped the "Alternate Carter Curse of Bad Hair". I guess because she was technically from this universe.

Comment

But they've also managed to create a sci-fi franchise that is about to challenge Trek as the most successful of all time.
                    They're a long way from eclipsing Star Trek as a franchise. If they disagree, they're more arrogant than I thought.

So I have to believe that in taking the "long view," they're not as stupid as we think they are.
                    This isn't grand strategy; it's television. They should be focusing on this season and making good TV now. They're at least as stupid as we think they are and quite possibly more so.

Comment

But let's not jump head-first off a cliff. .....but I hope we'll all be happier when the second half of S9 begins to air.

Just sayin'.
                      Thanks for keeping things in perspective, you're right, we shouldn't jump to any wild conclusions just yet. Obviously, Amanda has been there for 9 years. She has a very solid fan base and we know that she is very much appreciated by TPTB. Comments like "we like to finish a scene with 'Carter' because Amanda always has 'something going on' tell me that. Also, across the forum (almost) everybody was happy to see Sam/Amanda return and a lot of questions on JM'z thread concern Sam and her role in Season 9. Which tells me that she is a very important part of the show, dare I to say, an irreplaceable character. And I am sure that TPTB are aware of that as well. Besides, if TPTB would think otherwise, why would they even have bothered to accomodate Amanda and her new role as a mom? I am sure they know how valuable Sam/Amanda is to the show. And just look at the fact that Amanda clearly is a fan magnet at cons - I think that speaks for itself.

I agree with those of you who said that Sam and Vala are not interchangeable. They are two very different characters and play two different roles in the Stargate universe. Even if Vala were to come on board on a more regular basis there is no way she could replace Sam. Far from it, in that case we would need Sam even more IMHO. Like chocdoc said
                      Sam IS the science part of [this] science fiction show
                      So, here's to hoping for two great episodes next Friday, which may already answer some of our questions and to an even better second half of the season. I bet you, we'll get to see Sam saving the world more than once.

Besides, don't you all agree that 'The Boys' look like they NEED Sam around???

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

[QUOTE=Carterslave]Save that the show got renewed & yet they still killed Fraiser. Grrrrr ...

What do you mean 'most popular'? It didn't get the ratings of Avalon/Origin, so what measure are we using? Of course, I agree w/ you that it's hard to go wrong when Brad Wright is doing the script, especially if it has angsty possibilities (think Abyss). [QUOTE]

I do not think any of the next three episode will have the ratings that the first six did, the reason being it's football season and as popular as Stargate may be to Scifi fans, it can not compete with America's favorite pasttime. This is part of the reason the ratings are high at the first part of the season, and take a hit in August and January and then pick back up in Februrary. I also think it's been mentioned before that if you take both airings on Friday night, the overall rating for Stargate is still better than both SGA and BSG. One would think the guys at SCIFI would be smart enough to recognize this tiny bit of information but then I may be assuming a lot more from them than is reasonable.

Comment

Über, i love your avatar. what is it from?

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                            Speaking of her hair...

That style hits all the right places for me... Oh yeah... *drools*

NB: The fact that she was wearing leather pants in that scene may or may not have influenced my decision

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                              Über, i love your avatar. what is it from?

sally
                              Its from the director series for Avatar right? Where Amanda is playing around in front of the camera

Comment

Just sneaking in to respond to CG’s request. AD, love the hairstyle, too. Of course, the entire pic looks pretty darn nice.

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                                And, while we're taking care of Samandan business, why don't we show off the wonderful Samandan Royal Plaques once more? Designer, please post again for our new citizens to enjoy too.
                                For the new citizens: There were two plaques, but they were very similar. The only significant difference was AT’s picture. Here’s the designer’s preference with the TV Guide pic of Amanda. I don’t have a clue what the purpose of the plaque is, but perhaps it can hang on an interior wall in the castle.

Samanda Plaque

Comment

Working...
                                X