No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does any of you have the same trouble as me ? I can't quote anything in my posts. If I try, GW doesn't let me post. It's really upsetting.
    Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
      Does any of you have the same trouble as me ? I can't quote anything in my posts. If I try, GW doesn't let me post. It's really upsetting.
      Hmm, seems to be working for me?

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
        Hmm, seems to be working for me?
        Trying again.

Yes ! It worked !
        I'm again in love with GW now.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys

I'd for once would have loved to add to the list a Sam commanding officer of SG1 story arc. Why didn't we get an episode dealing with that ? We had one focusing on Jack's new position in the SGC, why not one about Sam ?
          I know the shippers aren't going to be pleased with me but I'd rather have a strong adventure type episode with Sam, as SG1's leader, dealing with Baal or whatever Goa'uld you want, than Threads.

Now I'm cowering in a corner waiting for some angry shippers to throw penguin missiles at me and rotten tomatoes.
          Agent Dark ! Help me !
          LOL ... first of all, thanks for the congrats on my poems, oops, posts! And, yes, the past two days have been a mess trying to post ... I was having the same problem as you and even wondering if this will go through now ... I kept losing the poems and not having written them down had to recompose ... so you know how I spent most of my Saturday!

Secondly, about "Sam's long arc in past season" ... your thoughts are my feelings exactly! What's missing from this picture?! The writers increased the "Carter gets a life" personal arc and sacrificed what should have been written: how Sam responded to replacing Jack in command of SG1. I wanted to see her as soldier Sam in the field and at the SGC ... Sam Carter as a warrior and CO and doing what has to be done! As Jack was adjusting to his new role at SGC, there could have been a similar arc, really running parallel to his, for Sam. Now, with Cam and the "new team", I fear that we'll never see that part of Sam - the opportunity was lost in S8. So I don't see Sam's time onscreen in S8 as such a defining moment the way JM seems to imply.

I did welcome Threads, however, and felt that extricated Sam from the personal arc with you-know-who which took up so much of S8. I hated to see the death of Jacob, but that scene seemed to rejoin Jack and Sam and reframe her father's words in Grace towards her future choices. Jacob seems to be less than thrilled with Pete and, while dying, tells Sam not to give up on her original desires - that, indeed, she can have it all. Jack repeating "always" as she leans against him in observation room also comes full circle. And, finally, the visual triad that's formed by Jack's reflection in glass as he's looking down at Sam and Jacob as he dies was very powerful and meaningful (to me, a shipper). So, if any episode had to be sacrificed in S8, I would not have picked this one. I'd have picked Affinity if I had my druthers. It didn't do justice to Sam Carter or Teal'c for that matter IMHO.

No tomatoes to be thrown!

Peace, CG

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
            Now I'm cowering in a corner waiting for some angry shippers to throw penguin missiles at me and rotten tomatoes.
            Agent Dark ! Help me !
            Oh! I only just noticed your call for assistance! :O

Back you evil ship mongerers! Your time is at hand! Free yourself from ship, or live a life of eternal damnation! REPENT!

That better?

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
              Oh! I only just noticed your call for assistance! :O

Back you evil ship mongerers! Your time is at hand! Free yourself from ship, or live a life of eternal damnation! REPENT!

That better?
              Agent Dark, you're my knight in shining armor ! Oops ! Did I say that out loud ?

I don't fear any penguin missiles now. However just to clarify, I may be not a shipper, but I have nothing against them.

Comment

LOL ... first of all, thanks for the congrats on my poems, oops, posts! And, yes, the past two days have been a mess trying to post ... I was having the same problem as you and even wondering if this will go through now ... I kept losing the poems and not having written them down had to recompose ... so you know how I spent most of my Saturday!

Secondly, about "Sam's long arc in past season" ... your thoughts are my feelings exactly! What's missing from this picture?! The writers increased the "Carter gets a life" personal arc and sacrificed what should have been written: how Sam responded to replacing Jack in command of SG1. I wanted to see her as soldier Sam in the field and at the SGC ... Sam Carter as a warrior and CO and doing what has to be done! As Jack was adjusting to his new role at SGC, there could have been a similar arc, really running parallel to his, for Sam. Now, with Cam and the "new team", I fear that we'll never see that part of Sam - the opportunity was lost in S8. So I don't see Sam's time onscreen in S8 as such a defining moment the way JM seems to imply.

I did welcome Threads, however, and felt that extricated Sam from the personal arc with you-know-who which took up so much of S8. I hated to see the death of Jacob, but that scene seemed to rejoin Jack and Sam and reframe her father's words in Grace towards her future choices. Jacob seems to be less than thrilled with Pete and, while dying, tells Sam not to give up on her original desires - that, indeed, she can have it all. Jack repeating "always" as she leans against him in observation room also comes full circle. And, finally, the visual triad that's formed by Jack's reflection in glass as he's looking down at Sam and Jacob as he dies was very powerful and meaningful (to me, a shipper). So, if any episode had to be sacrificed in S8, I would not have picked this one. I'd have picked Affinity if I had my druthers. It didn't do justice to Sam Carter or Teal'c for that matter IMHO.

No tomatoes to be thrown!

Peace, CG
                Is it going to be third time the charm ? I'm still having trouble posting.

OK. Good points about Affinity. It's not either on my favourite episodes list even if I've never had trouble with as some of you call him.
                Still, if I had to remove only one episode from season 8, I'd chose Threads, not because of the shippy stuff, but because it hurt so much to watch Jacob dying. I have the feeling that lately TPTB are slowly and surely removing all my favourite characters from the show. Also, for all its weaknesses, Affinity had the merit of some action unlike Threads. There was a huge battle between the free Jaffa and Anubis drones according to Bra'tac. What did we see of it ? Nothing. I guess Threads was a disappointment for me after the masterpiece that was Reckoning. Again, this is only my opinion.

ChopinGal, thank you for the sake of the tomatoes. They're of better use in pizzas.

Now, crossing fingers before posting. It's going to work, it's going to work. My post will show up, my post will show up....

Comment

I'm having a lot of trouble posting as well. So let's hope this actaully makes it to the thread. LOL

I understand that many here are not shippers and that's fine. I agree with ChopinGal that I loved Threads for all the resons she pointed out. With that said I would also love to have seen Sam dealing with taking command of SG-1. Seeing her struggle into her own leadership. Going from 2IC to taking command is difficult sometimes because she is stepping out of her comfort zone. That would have been a great arc, but the writers ignored it. A sadly missed episode that should have been written. Any fanfic writers want to take up the challenge??

Comment

Heya!

Thank you for all the get well wishes!!! Finger's feeling better already...I was very lucky - it is broken but it's only a fracture and the skin didn't break...I also don't use my little fingers for typing so phew!!

THANK YOU for all the green!!!!!

I'll be doing more artwork and writing more fic tonight, so I'll keep you posted...I'm going to do some episode-specific stuff!
                    sigpic
                    Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
                      Heya!

Thank you for all the get well wishes!!! Finger's feeling better already...I was very lucky - it is broken but it's only a fracture and the skin didn't break...I also don't use my little fingers for typing so phew!!

THANK YOU for all the green!!!!!

I'll be doing more artwork and writing more fic tonight, so I'll keep you posted...I'm going to do some episode-specific stuff!
                      I'm glad to hear your finger is feeling better (although it still sounds painful).

Also glad you are writing more fanfics ... that always great news!!
                      Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 14 August 2005, 09:52 AM.

Comment

i throughly enjoyed threads because it was about the people. for me, sam and jack is a take it or leave it thing. sure, i love ship fic, don't care much for it on the show simply because they tend to be so ham fisted about it that it's painful - that's what affinity was to me, painful simply because it was so incredibly clumsy.

threads, however, was no low key and graceful and a true joy to watch. i like that we got to see a hint of sam dealing with her life and her own personal issues. and even if you're not a shipper, you can still see the 'always' as a 'look, i will always be your friend, no matter what' statement from jack.

personally, i've always seen it as jack having one hell of a crush on sam, yet it's a crush he won't act on because he doesn't want her to feel threatened. he would rather have it unrequited than lose her, and that's the sentiment about them that i really love.
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I don’t think it is important if Sam has a big Arc, she didn’t really have a big arc in Seasons 1-5 and the ones that were a possibility like Jolinars memories were kind of dropped. So if they just bring Sam back and make her the same important character with as much screen time as she has ever had in the past then I am just as happy.

I would be happier if she was in command of SG-1 but I doubt I will get my wish so I just hope they make the reason for her not being in command reasonable. If we get our old Sam back I don’t care who’s in charge what the arc is. I will be very, very, very, very happy that we will hopefully get to get away from every single stinking thread on GW being about Vala. I have no issue with the character (well not much) but Stargate SG-1 is more then about one character.

Its more then Jack, its more then Sam, its more then Daniel, its more then Teal'c and it is damn well more then Vala. I want to see SG-1 the Team, Mitchell, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c all doing what they do best to save the world from the bad guys. I want to know they care about each other, I want to laugh with them, I want to cheer for them, and I want the shiver up my spine that I got in some of the best eps.

Give me SG-1 the team and let Sam shine as part of that team and I will live joyfully, until midseason break. (yes I know it is just a TV show, but really I have no life).
                          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I feel the need to clarify some things. My distate for Threads doesn't come from the "always" between Jack and Sam. And yes, as a non shipper, I take it as the statement of a true friendship between the characters. I felt cheated because of Jacob's death. I thought his death occured for the only purpose of that "always". I don't think it's fair for such an important character of the serie to be condemned and sent off for a line of dialogue.
                            Also the plot moving from the SGC to Daniel and Oma is not something I enjoy. They did the same in Evolution where we were moving from Tartarus to Honduras and at the end I was begging for two separate episodes instead of a two parter. I think I would have much better enjoy an episode only focused on the Oma/Daniel and Dakara plot (with some shots of the battle please ) and another one about Sam and Jack. And please, don't kill Jacob. Make him missing, being injured whatever you want but don't kill him ! Snif ! I miss Jacob.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                              I feel the need to clarify some things. My distate for Threads doesn't come from the "always" between Jack and Sam. And yes, as a non shipper, I take it as the statement of a true friendship between the characters. I felt cheated because of Jacob's death. I thought his death occured for the only purpose of that "always". I don't think it's fair for such an important character of the serie to be condemned and sent off for a line of dialogue.
                              Also the plot moving from the SGC to Daniel and Oma is not something I enjoy. They did the same in Evolution where we were moving from Tartarus to Honduras and at the end I was begging for two separate episodes instead of a two parter. I think I would have much better enjoy an episode only focused on the Oma/Daniel and Dakara plot (with some shots of the battle please ) and another one about Sam and Jack. And please, don't kill Jacob. Make him missing, being injured whatever you want but don't kill him ! Snif ! I miss Jacob.
                              I too miss Jacob!
                              Spoiler:
                              I loved the character. The interaction between Jack/Jacob was always funny!! There are a lot of great Jacob moments. Of course those father/daughter moments between he and Sam were great as well!! Although I didn't feel that his death was just used for a Jack and Sam moment ... platonic or otherwise. I thought they did it for ratings, the same way they used Janet's death in Hero's I & II. It seems to me that killing off a beloved cahracter is the new trend in television drama (not that I am crazy about it). Have you watched NCIS, CSI Miami, questionable for Alias and seems like there was another besides SG-1 that killed off a great character.

Well I would continue but I'm being pushed out the door by others so I will finish my thought later.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                i throughly enjoyed threads because it was about the people. for me, sam and jack is a take it or leave it thing. sure, i love ship fic, don't care much for it on the show simply because they tend to be so ham fisted about it that it's painful - that's what affinity was to me, painful simply because it was so incredibly clumsy.

threads, however, was no low key and graceful and a true joy to watch. i like that we got to see a hint of sam dealing with her life and her own personal issues. and even if you're not a shipper, you can still see the 'always' as a 'look, i will always be your friend, no matter what' statement from jack.

personally, i've always seen it as jack having one hell of a crush on sam, yet it's a crush he won't act on because he doesn't want her to feel threatened. he would rather have it unrequited than lose her, and that's the sentiment about them that i really love.
                                I kinda saw Reckoning and Threads as a 3 part episode...and did a brilliant job of tying up most of the characters major story arcs.

RECKONING and THREADS SPOILERS BELOW:

For Teal'c, his people finally found freedom.

For Daniel he finally learned why he "descended."

Anubis was dealt with.....or was he? Hmm....

Replicators were dealth with...or were they? We can only be sure that the replicators in our galaxy were taken care of and we only know that because Sam said "as far as we can tell, the replicators in our galaxy have been taken care of..." Who knows? We might see them again.

RepliCARTER...I think and I know I could be in the minority here...I THINK Replicarter was beamed out the same time Daniel was. Now if I'm wrong then so be it but I would LOVE to see a Sam/Replicarter standoff now that she knows the extent of her double's duplicity.

Sam and Jack...now I KNOW I'm in the minority here but I think Threads answered what's going on with them. Sam realized marrying Pete was a mistake and Kerry saw with just the few minutes she shared with Sam and Jack in his backyard the extent of his feelings for Sam. And I agree...he had a crush on her for a long time but I think it was more than that and that's what Kerry witnessed. Jack admitted it too with his "and what do you think I should do (about my feelings for Sam)?" I don't think he'd broach the topic...I think Sam did and they got it all out in the open. I believe off camera Sam and Jack had "the talk" and that issue is finally resolved in her mind. And if what Amanda said was any indication, although it won't be focused on this season, the opportunity is there for the future...(yay).

In just those THREE episodes we saw the entire series resolve some of the major plot points over the years...

Now that Sam has figured out her personal issues, she's free to be the KICKBUTT!Sam we love...hopefully for years to come.

Last edited by Uber; 14 August 2005, 01:16 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Working...
                                X