Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steff View Post
    Vancouver Clean-Up.

At least hundreds of people showed up downtown this morning to clean up from the rioting. It was an amazing thing to be a part of. The streets are now free of debris, store owners are replacing store-front glass, and Vancouver Pride is plentiful again. We ran out of streets to clean and it's not even Noon. Now I'm home to catch a nap before working. grrrrrr, I'm tired. Still pray for those business owners that have so many losses.

Vancouver is a Lovely City again.

Edit: Someone said it was in the thousands that were there to help. Good Job Vancouver.
    I thought I'd add to your post with a link to some pics, showing the real people of Vancouver, not the few who made them look bad.

http://www.globaltvbc.com/Stanley+ri...114/story.html
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
      I thought I'd add to your post with a link to some pics, showing the real people of Vancouver, not the few who made them look bad.

http://www.globaltvbc.com/Stanley+ri...114/story.html
      LOL The first pic is a guy in the Boston Bruins shirt ... I couldn't help, but think it looks like the Boston fans are cleaning up after the Vancouver fans trashed the city?! Glad the city is put back together and hopefully the people injured makes a speedy recovery and businesses recover

Yikes 150 people sent to the hospital!! Soooo very very sad!

Comment

Hey everyone,

Originally posted by Steff View Post
        Vancouver Clean-Up.

At least hundreds of people showed up downtown this morning to clean up from the rioting. It was an amazing thing to be a part of. The streets are now free of debris, store owners are replacing store-front glass, and Vancouver Pride is plentiful again. We ran out of streets to clean and it's not even Noon. Now I'm home to catch a nap before working. grrrrrr, I'm tired. Still pray for those business owners that have so many losses.

Vancouver is a Lovely City again.

Edit: Someone said it was in the thousands that were there to help. Good Job Vancouver.
        I saw stories and pics on FB and Twitter this morning about this, truly awesome and shows the true spirit of Vancouver!

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
        Question. Who here is going to CC?
        Not me, I wish though lol.

Julia(samcarterrules)
        sigpic
        Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

No con plans in my future.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Re: Vancouver

While I'm sure the trouble started with criminals who planned to use the crowds as a cover to commit crimes there were many others who participated or stood by and did nothing. Hope they are ashamed but, sadly, I don't think they are.

Turning to the positive, good on ya citizens of Vancouver for taking action the day after. To those who cleaned up, put post-it notes on police cars thanking the police, wrote messages of love and condolence on the boards covering windows, good job. Saw two women on the news today. They had gone dowtown to help clean up. By the time they got there, the streets were already cleaned so they made signs offering free hugs to passers by to lift the spirits of their fellow citizens. No, I don't think it was Mumsey.

Proud too of two other women who, in separate incidents, put themselves at risk by pulling vandals away from cars and tried to protect the property of strangers.
            Last edited by EH-T; 17 June 2011, 11:15 AM.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post

While I'm sure the trouble started with criminals who planned to use the crowds as a cover to commit crimes there were many others who participated or stood by and did nothing. Hope they are ashamed but, sadly, I don't think they are.

Turning to the positive, good on ya citizens of Vancouver for taking action the day after. To those who cleaned up, put post-it notes on police cars thanking the police, wrote messages of love and condolence on the boards covering windows, good job. Saw two women on the news today. They had gone dowtown to help clean up. By the time they got there, the streets were already cleaned so they made signs offering free hugs to passers by to lift the spirits of their fellow citizens. No, i don't think it was Mumsey.

Proud to of two other women who, in separate incidents, put themselves at risk by pulling vandals away from cars and tried to protect the property of strangers.
              I tend to believe it was the crowd angry over the loss that started the riot while the criminals who live nearby saw it as a chance to join-in and loot the stores ... I've been caught in the middle of a riot (not participating at all). From my experience it was insanity - normal people losing all sense of morality and acting out over an injustice they felt slighted by... suddenly hatred/ anger / destruction (whether it be human lives or property) take over and you feel like you have stepped through some sort of primal porthole where everyone has lost their ever loving mind and as the crowd grows so does the mob mentality and the danger increases. So while it may have started as angry fans it quickly escalated when criminal intent was added to the primal insanity.

It's extremely sad when such a destructive embarrassing event happens in your town, city or country ... The show of support after such a crime helps heal the city no matter who was there to lend a hand.

Comment

Turning to the positive, good on ya citizens of Vancouver for taking action the day after. To those who cleaned up, put post-it notes on police cars thanking the police, wrote messages of love and condolence on the boards covering windows, good job. Saw two women on the news today. They had gone dowtown to help clean up. By the time they got there, the streets were already cleaned so they made signs offering free hugs to passers by to lift the spirits of their fellow citizens. No, i don't think it was Mumsey.

Proud to of two other women who, in separate incidents, put themselves at risk by pulling vandals away from cars and tried to protect the property of strangers.
                Nope! Not me, but what a lovely idea.

Vancouverites should be proud of how they responded to the spoilsports who tried to wreck their town and its reputation.

(((Vancouver)))

Mumsey
                For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
                  I tend to believe it was the crowd angry over the loss that started the riot while the criminals who live nearby saw it as a chance to join-in and loot the stores ... I've been caught in the middle of a riot (not participating at all). From my experience it was insanity - normal people losing all sense of morality and acting out over an injustice they felt slighted by... suddenly hatred/ anger / destruction (whether it be human lives or property) take over and you feel like you have stepped through some sort of primal porthole where everyone has lost their ever loving mind and as the crowd grows so does the mob mentality and the danger increases. So while it may have started as angry fans it quickly escalated when criminal intent was added to the primal insanity.

It's extremely sad when such a destructive embarrassing event happens in your town, city or country ... The show of support after such a crime helps heal the city no matter who was there to lend a hand.

Actually, it appears it was a criminal element that started it. The police recognised some of the instigators. Also, some had masks, hammers and things to start fires. One doesn't pack those items to go watch a hockey game. However, as I said before, lots of others certainly participated or stood by and did nothing to stop it. There was one young woman on the news who seemed to be perfectly fine with telling the news reporter that she had stolen a purse from a store once the windows had been smashed. The reporter asked her why she did it and she said it was a nice purse! Totally beyond my understanding.

I want to start a campaign to have the mothers of Vancouver who recognise their children in the videos contact police. Mothers turn your sons in before they become worse!

Originally posted by SWMBOTGSG View Post
                  Nope! Not me, but what a lovely idea.

Vancouverites should be proud of how they responded to the spoilsports who tried to wreck their town and its reputation.

(((Vancouver)))

Mumsey
                  It was a lovely idea and lots of folks were lined up to hug them!
                  Last edited by EH-T; 17 June 2011, 11:44 AM.

Comment

RT @onceuponacure: @amandatapping & @JewelStaite are donating a lunch with them for our @onceuponacure auction. Thank you Jewel and Amanda...

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post

I heard there were big screens set up along Georgia Street (?) for those not able to get tickets and in the final minutes of the Canucks loss, those watching began pitching drinks, bottles and the like at the screens. From there it escalated into general mayhem. I do believe it might have started with disgruntled fans, but agree that those of the criminal tendency might have joined in. Others might have just joined in for the fun of burning and smashing property so they could get their picture taken and posted to their social network of choice. It's a riot. Happened in Vancouver in 1994 after their loss and it happens all over the world after sporting events, whether a team wins OR loses. Just happens. Kinda surprised Vancouver didn't anticipate something like this happening though and make preparations beforehand.

Comment

Heard on the news this morning that police have already begun arresting people who were caught on video vandalizing in Vancouver. Apparently, some of these "brilliant" criminals actually posted the videos and pictures themselves on their facebook page and You Tube, bragging about it!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
                          Heard on the news this morning that police have already begun arresting people who were caught on video vandalizing in Vancouver. Apparently, some of these "brilliant" criminals actually posted the videos and pictures themselves on their facebook page and You Tube, bragging about it!
                          Let's hope the authorities throw the book at them. Make an example of them.

Mumsey
                          For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

I want to start a campaign to have the mothers of Vancouver who recognise their children in the videos contact police. Mothers turn your sons in before they become worse!
                            seriously?
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

As good an idea as this might be ... my first thought when I read it was "Yeah ... like that's gonna happen!"

I don't mean to be negative, but there aren't really that many people that would turn in their own children unless they are super responsible parents. Or at least we don't often hear of something like that happening.

Comment

some will, some won't

but co-workers and others will.
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X