Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
    Hmm, you sound so like Sam here, but with a different angle of course. I couldn't imagine Sam in any other field than science-related either. Funny how things like this become an inseparable part of your personality and without it, you wouldnt be the same person.

You ever notice that even in the AU versions, Sam is always still in some way connected with science. Even in another timeline she couldnt escape it, not that I'd want her to anyways, of course.
    I think it's true of anything you have a real passion for, certainly it's the case with all my circle who are artists/writers/musicians, and it makes no difference if you are amateur or professional, prolific or not. If you are driven to be creative, you will be.

I'm sure that applies to the sciences too, but, apart from many (many, many, many) friends in computing and engineering, I don't have many friends/colleagues in the hard sciences.

FF
    sigpic

Comment

I was going to say the exact same thing. Great minds and all.

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
      I agree with Kat that you are not giving yourelf enough credit. You don't pass HS by "luck". Maybe college isn't for you (it's not for everyone) but don't give up too soon. As I've said before, attitude is important. If you go there thinking you will fail you are hurting your chances of succeeding. Most things in life that are worthwhile are not easy and often it is our failures that teach us the most. View it as a learning experience whether you pass or not. If you learn something from the experience then it is not a waste of your time.
      Well said. It is difficult adjusting to college and it may take a while to get your footing, but like EH-T said having the right attitude is half the solution. It's like one of my favorite Dune quotes "Knowing was a barrier which prevented learning," if you 'know' you can't do something then you're just preventing yourself from learning how to do it. Just keep an open mind, take it one day at a time, and you'll be ok.

You are a fan of AT and often talk of how she is an inspiration to you so use that as your motivation. How hard do you think it was for her to leave the security of Stargate to take a chance on Sanctuary? She has talked about how scary it was for her to do that, to do an episode like Requiem or Pavor Nocturnis. Don't let fear of failure hold you back. Do your best and learn from the experience.
      One thing I've noticed in most of AT's recent interviews is the importance she places on scaring herself, of not letting herself become complacent about the work she's doing. It's something I've taken to heart because while it's comforting to stay within the safety of the known, the moments I've learned the most from are when I was scaring myself trying something new.

sigpic

Comment

Iz confused I knew before London as you announced it on the internet my dear! It just came up in London because when I picked the necklace (thanks again BTW, it was lovely of you to bring those for everyone) I picked the long, straight one because it reminded me of you. Then we laughed because I didn't mean "straight" in that way but in that you are tall and thin and stand straight.
        OK, maybe not exactly coming out

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
        Lol ... I missed all sorts of things in London!

And Neep was even staying with me ... no coming out involved ... I'm so oblivious lol.
        As I told one of my workmates, it's not like I have a mullet. They had no idea.

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
        We're having a Burns party on Monday night so today we bought Neeps. Two Neeps.

They're sitting in the cupboard.
        Awesome. I have played my bagpipes at a Burns party before.

You didnt even get a hint when you were in Amsterdam?
        I was on my best behaviour
        Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by katjoy View Post
          well said sky i couldnt agree more on the importance of education and learning...
          i love learning, i was the girl doing extra homework, had my assignments complete weeks in advance, spent weekends with my head in a book or researching topics i was interested in... these days i still read heaps and i love shows that teach me stuff (even if it is on the basic level) like sci fi, crime, medical and legal shows... i also learn new stuff at work nearly every day... im always looking to learn new things...

i know all to well what its like for ppl without their uni papers... they may have started in their choosen industries straight out of high school and have 20 or 30 plus years experience, but in alot of cases that piece of paper is the difference between them getting and not getting the job...
          rocky i dont think you give yourself enough credit... you seem to be an intellegent person and if you get good grades it means that you are able to remember and understand something enough to complete the course and well... you are never going to know or remember everything... uni is hard, but the challenge not only brings with it new knowledge but a stronger you... not only did i get a job out of uni i also re-learnt how to interact with people and what it meant to have friends...
          very good question suse...
          i think i would still have the same job because even though there are heaps of things i am interested in in theory they dont appeal to me in practice... so i would use those smarts to study and learn as much as i could about those things that interest me rather then actually work in any of the fields...
          I agree with Kat that you are not giving yourelf enough credit. You don't pass HS by "luck". Maybe college isn't for you (it's not for everyone) but don't give up too soon. As I've said before, attitude is important. If you go there thinking you will fail you are hurting your chances of succeeding. Most things in life that are worthwhile are not easy and often it is our failures that teach us the most. View it as a learning experience whether you pass or not. If you learn something from the experience then it is not a waste of your time.
          You are a fan of AT and often talk of how she is an inspiration to you so use that as your motivation. How hard do you think it was for her to leave the security of Stargate to take a chance on Sanctuary? She has talked about how scary it was for her to do that, to do an episode like Requiem or Pavor Nocturnis. Don't let fear of failure hold you back. Do your best and learn from the experience.
          Originally posted by suse View Post
          Rocky, if you have a learning disability there is help for that. Go talk to your adviser and find out what resources there are. You can be taught how to learn and retain information in a way that works for you. It might not be the 'normal' way, but it can be done. There is NO shame in this. Please, do it this week. It can help you not only in school, but give you a tool for the rest of your life. Perhaps you did make thru HS on 'luck'. All that means is you remembered enough from the classes without have the tools you need to truly succeed.
          And every freshman feels overwhelmed and dumb in those classes. A new format, those intimidating textbooks, that syllabus that is completed in 13 weeks and a lot of writing. Makes me queasy to even think about it. But you *can* do it. You might need help, but that is why the resources are there. Please, email/call your adviser *right now* to make that appointment.
          Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
          Well said. It is difficult adjusting to college and it may take a while to get your footing, but like EH-T said having the right attitude is half the solution. It's like one of my favorite Dune quotes "Knowing was a barrier which prevented learning," if you 'know' you can't do something then you're just preventing yourself from learning how to do it. Just keep an open mind, take it one day at a time, and you'll be ok.

One thing I've noticed in most of AT's recent interviews is the importance she places on scaring
          herself, of not letting herself become complacent about the work she's doing. It's something I've taken to heart because while it's comforting to stay within the safety of the known, the moments I've learned the most from are when I was scaring myself trying something new.
          Thank you all for the kind words, and I was in class when I got a PM from a follow Samadan. I have to admit, today wasn't so bad, I actually used my.... what's it called? My brain What surprised me was that a lot of the questions my teacher asked me I already knew from my PSW days at HS, so that was good to have. Suse, I have ADD, but what's really weird is that my IQ is 122.

Thanks you guys for using Amanda as examples to cheer me up and a way to make me like college. And you're right, she is a great inspiration. And you're right EH-T, if Amanda can do those things, maybe I can do this.

Does anyone here have a learning disability?

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post

not a learning disability. maybe a social one now, called peri-menopause.

Spoiler:
            run. save yourselves.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Amanda Tapping phoned in to Inner Space's last night to talk about Sanctuary for Kids and what it's going for Haiti. She really couldn't have been more lovely. She's such a wonderful woman

http://angelfireeast.livejournal.com/153288.html

Anyone able to upload this?

Comment

Originally posted by parsifal View Post
                Amanda Tapping phoned in to Inner Space's last night to talk about Sanctuary for Kids and what it's going for Haiti. She really couldn't have been more lovely. She's such a wonderful woman

(((Amanda)))

That woman is something else. Was that on the actual show? And where was EH-T?

Last edited by Rocky89; 21 January 2010, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Was that on the actual show?
                  Yes.

Comment

(((Amanda)))

That woman is something else. Was that on the actual show?
                    I don't think it'll be on again, I checked the Space listings, and it doesn't look good- http://www.spacecast.com/Schedule.aspx?fldate=1/21/2010

If I hadn't been at school, I might have caught.

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                      What do you mean, if?
                      Correction especially for rderoch:

If, in your wildest dreams, you were as smart as Sam...

suse
                      sigpic
                      Mourning Sanctuary.
                      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

To be honest, I want Amanda to do sci-fi shows forever.....

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
                          Awesome. I have played my bagpipes at a Burns party before.
                          Rich has just looked over my shoulder and declared, 'knowing Neep, that'll be true.' *g*

Very cool!
                          sigpic
                          Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                          My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

I haven't played them in years, but I can't bring myself to sell them. Bagpipes are hard work
                            Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

You didnt even get a hint when you were in Amsterdam?

Hmm, you sound so like Sam here, but with a different angle of course. I couldn't imagine Sam in any other field than science-related either. Funny how things like this become an inseparable part of your personality and without it, you wouldnt be the same person.

You ever notice that even in the AU versions, Sam is always still in some way connected with science. Even in another timeline she couldnt escape it, not that I'd want her to anyways, of course.
                              i cant imagine sam not being connected with science either... its always nice to see that she is still somehow in the field of science even in AUs...

Thank you all for the kind words, and I was in class when I got a PM from a follow Samadan. I have to admit, today wasn't so bad, I actually used my.... what's it called? My brain What surprised me was that a lot of the questions my teacher asked me I already knew from my PSW days at HS, so that was good to have. Suse, I have ADD, but what's really weird is that my IQ is 122.

Thanks you guys for using Amanda as examples to cheer me up and a way to make me like college. And you're right, she is a great inspiration. And you're right EH-T, if Amanda can do those things, maybe I can do this.

youre welcome rocky eh-t was right about two things: you just have to have a positive attitude and know they you will take something out of it... i didnt find uni easy myself, and felt like a fish out of water after doing so well in HS... and amanda is an amazing inspiration, if you can take something from your admiration of AT to help you through college then that is great...

coolies, thanks for letting us know
                              "...but I think if I were to describe myself in pure feminist forms, I would say I want equality. We want respect not because we're women, but simply because we're human beings..." AT 'Live peace. Speak kindness. Dwell in possibility.'

Comment

Cool! She definitely is amazing.

The bits about Emilie were interesting. Didn't know her back pain was so extensive.

I'm with angelfireeast on the wish that a video from cons could be available to those who couldnt make it. The bit with Robbins does sound hilarious and I can just imagine his facial expressions.

OT
                                Spoiler:
                                Just came in from work and I'm quite wired yet. I had a guest come to my $10 Baccarat table and bet an average of 45 to 50K a hand. Yeah a hand. Of course he hit a streak and not only did I have to deal with not having enough to pay him out of my rack, but I had up to 30 people surround my table for the sheer delight in gawking at the pile of money this guy was winning. When I was tapped out for break, I bet he had at least a good 300K in front of him. I was thinking on my way home that this guy was betting on one hand more than I make in a year. *shakes head*

Okay, off to pounce on someone to get this energy out!

Comment

Working...
                                X