Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
    yes, that's what i meant. most defining for 'me' anyways.
    Do I know you or what?

Comment

I think the first ep that made me a Sam fan was In The Line of Duty. I'd seen a few episodes before I saw that one, but none of them had been really Sam episodes. I was already loving her for the whole Soldier, Scientist and being a woman combination and the huge teenage crush on Sam was in full swing *g* but In The Line of Duty was a true wow episode that got me totally hooked.

Interestingly, I lent my DVDs to my best mate, who is a Sci Fi fan, but has never watched Stargate. He's working his way through them all and its really fun to discuss the first couple of seasons with someone seeing them with fresh eyes. He's really enjoying it and thinks that Sam is well and truly kick ass.

Anyhoo...In The Line of Duty was the one that got me hooked on Sam, simply because that was the first time I really saw the character stretched. I still love how they allowed that to play on through the rest of the seasons. Sometimes TV shows, Stargate included, seem to have amnesia (which I know is the effect of those producing it being human), and I love that they didn't forget this one.
      sigpic
      Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
      My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Hey Everyone,

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
        OK guys I got a question for everyone, I know its probably been asked before, I just thought it might be fun. So here's goes:

Out of the 11 seasons we watched Amanda play Sam which ep/eps made you became a Sam fan?

Julia(samcarterrules)
        Here's my answer, I would have to say it was Singularity for me too. The elevator scene was amazing and heart-breaking, I was late getting into SG1 I didn't see it until season 5 so I watched seasons 1-4 on DVD, and at 19 I saw Sam as someone I wanted to be like after watching Singularity.
        Originally posted by EH-T View Post
        Tough question. I'd have to say all of them to some degree made me a Sam fan. Different episodes showed different sides to her character. For example, Death Knell shows how tough she is, Singularity shows her compassion, Matter of Time shows her brilliance, Space Race shows her fun side, etc. Some episodes show her wide range of talents. On the team thread we were recently discussing Fallen and Homecoming. They show Sam as diplomat, Sam the scientist and Sam kicking butt.

Is that copping out?
        Nope its a great answer.

I'm off to college now see you all later.

Julia(samcarterrules)
        sigpic
        Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

I was hooked when Sam set the claymore line in COTG too And, as Season 1 progressed, I liked her more each episode. But, what really made me a die hard fan of both Sam and the Show was Solitudes. That was, and still is, an amazing episode. And an amazing acting job by AT.

Go Sam

Comment

I too pretty much liked her straight from the beginning so there isn't really one episode I could point to. Her performance in LITS was brilliant and is on my list of stuff to go back and watch again.

I can't think of a scene of hers that I really don't like.
            sigpic

Comment

I loved Sam in CoTG (especially when she was in awe at how small the DHD was on Abydos), then in Solitudes, but the actual episodes that made me a Sam fan were Inthe line of Duty and Foothold.
              I might be in the minority but i don't like Line in the Sand and the whole damsel in distress and Cam-hewo! I would have loved to see Cam hurt and Sam tending to his wounds while trying to solve the bigger problem as well...
              (And I really hated that the guys ignored Sam's warning about the device not being ready yet!)

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
                I loved Sam in CoTG (especially when she was in awe at how small the DHD was on Abydos), then in Solitudes, but the actual episodes that made me a Sam fan were Inthe line of Duty and Foothold.
                I might be in the minority but i don't like Line in the Sand and the whole damsel in distress and Cam-hewo! I would have loved to see Cam hurt and Sam tending to his wounds while trying to solve the bigger problem as well...
                (And I really hated that the guys ignored Sam's warning about the device not being ready yet!)
                I too did not like how they ignored Sam's warning about the device not being ready. But I don't mind a bit of damsel in distress. And although it might have appeared to some that Sam was a damsel in distress in some eps...I just don't see it...more a case of someone who is just as likely to be whumped as the guys...but who obviously avoids it better!!

I'm off to bed...got the heater on and my woolly socks...such a change from a week ago!!
                Night all, take care and have fun! (((Samandans)))
                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

in one way, it was kinda refreshing to see sam the injured one. she tends to be the care taker. partially because they made her the medic, but over all, someone is injured, sam takes care of them while the other two guys stand guard and look menacing

in this case,t he tables were turned. (although it did seem a little fanficish to have the lone dissenter 'it's not ready' be the one hurt when, yep, they were right, but whatever)

my one 'issue' with LITS, as much as i loved the vala/tomin bits (i think LITS was one of vala's better eps....it was daniel-less wasn't it?) i really wish it could have been vala and sam, or a real twist, teal'c and sam and teal'c trying to do the sciency stuff. Remember, teal'c - for most of his life - saw technology as magic. imagine the character twists of him learning to master the 'magic'
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
                    Ah. In the Line of Duty. Line of Duty is the episode that made me a Martin Wood fan.

That shot in the locker room with her uniforms lit and Jack sitting lost in thought in front of them, swinging 'round to Teal'c entering through the door and giving Jack advice on how to find a solution to his problem...

Um. Yeah. Where was I?

I agree, though, AT's performance in that episode is absolutely amazing. She goes from absolutely chilling to desperate to, finally, emotionally flat and injured without missing a beat. And it's one of the first times we see, though we've grown accustomed to it by now possibly, what an amazing ability she has to adjust her entire body language to different characters and truly make us believe in who she is.

Comment

i heard in the commentary versions of the bsg webbies.....they were talking about Grace Park (and if you don't watch the show, she's a skin job cylon....so multiple, multiple copies, visibly identitical but emotionally very different) and in the show we have some established versions of eight, Sharon, Boomer, Athena...etc

they had one of the sharons in a raptor and the writer, when they were writing the webbies, mentioned that they thought about how to visibly make one character different from the other, and the main show folks said 'nah, don't have to do that, grace can do it herself;...and she did.

grace park has, for the different versions of Eight, made each one different in her facial expressions or how she talks or acts or holds her body

Amanda does the same. Line up 'geek Sam' 'real sam' 'AU sam' 'replicarter' etc adn you can just look at them and know they're different

jolinar'd sam is the same way. Same with entity sam, just look at her and there's a different way she holds herself and works her face and they are all different, even if they're all played by the same person
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I must say that it did really strike me when she was doing Replicarter. How she made it different was amazing.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                          Ah. In the Line of Duty. Line of Duty is the episode that made me a Martin Wood fan.

That shot in the locker room with her uniforms lit and Jack sitting lost in thought in front of them, swinging 'round to Teal'c entering through the door and giving Jack advice on how to find a solution to his problem...

Um. Yeah. Where was I?

I agree, though, AT's performance in that episode is absolutely amazing. She goes from absolutely chilling to desperate to, finally, emotionally flat and injured without missing a beat. And it's one of the first times we see, though we've grown accustomed to it by now possibly, what an amazing ability she has to adjust her entire body language to different characters and truly make us believe in who she is.
                          Originally posted by Mousie View Post
                          I must say that it did really strike me when she was doing Replicarter. How she made it different was amazing.
                          As well as in Entity, her eyes looked so dead, like there really was a machine or computer program in control
                          sigpicMy Fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
                            I think the first ep that made me a Sam fan was In The Line of Duty. I'd seen a few episodes before I saw that one, but none of them had been really Sam episodes. I was already loving her for the whole Soldier, Scientist and being a woman combination and the huge teenage crush on Sam was in full swing *g* but In The Line of Duty was a true wow episode that got me totally hooked.

Interestingly, I lent my DVDs to my best mate, who is a Sci Fi fan, but has never watched Stargate. He's working his way through them all and its really fun to discuss the first couple of seasons with someone seeing them with fresh eyes. He's really enjoying it and thinks that Sam is well and truly kick ass.

Anyhoo...In The Line of Duty was the one that got me hooked on Sam, simply because that was the first time I really saw the character stretched. I still love how they allowed that to play on through the rest of the seasons. Sometimes TV shows, Stargate included, seem to have amnesia (which I know is the effect of those producing it being human), and I love that they didn't forget this one.
                            Good for you in letting your best mate borrow your DVD's, I just keep them locked in my safe. Seems you made a new Sam fan, good job, mate .

Wow, it seems a lot of people love Sam in TLoD, and Singularity, mainly for the elevator scene. Like I said about Sam in emancipation, how I really thought it started off Sam in the right direction as someone a lot of people, and mostly woman would consider their role-model and their idol, or at the very least someone they could look up to. I think Singularity really raised the bar even higher as to what kind of person she is. She tries to act tough and strong, but when it comes down to it, she's just a good, caring hearted woman with feelings, and I think that's why it was easy for her to talk to Daniel about Cassie, because like she said, he's not military, so I guess she can talk to him as just Sam Carter, not "Captain Carter"

Then came the elevator scene, obviously the most popular, and powerful scene in the episode. There's not enough I can say, I said a lot about the episode in my HUGE answer post (HUGE according to Chelle ), but there's not enough I can say, but what you guys are all saying about the is all true too. Since we all love Singularity so much, here's some caps of Sam with Cassie, and Amanda at one of her best performances.

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              i heard in the commentary versions of the bsg webbies.....they were talking about Grace Park (and if you don't watch the show, she's a skin job cylon....so multiple, multiple copies, visibly identitical but emotionally very different) and in the show we have some established versions of eight, Sharon, Boomer, Athena...etc

they had one of the sharons in a raptor and the writer, when they were writing the webbies, mentioned that they thought about how to visibly make one character different from the other, and the main show folks said 'nah, don't have to do that, grace can do it herself;...and she did.

grace park has, for the different versions of Eight, made each one different in her facial expressions or how she talks or acts or holds her body

Amanda does the same. Line up 'geek Sam' 'real sam' 'AU sam' 'replicarter' etc adn you can just look at them and know they're different

jolinar'd sam is the same way. Same with entity sam, just look at her and there's a different way she holds herself and works her face and they are all different, even if they're all played by the same person

Yep, a sure sign of good acting. Michael Shanks does it too, particularly noticeable in Lifeboat, you can tell which character he's playing just from stills. Replicarter and Sam look different in stills too.

I don't like Sanctuary but I never even thought of Sam when I watched it.

FF
                              sigpic

Comment

I watched the episodes all out of order and originally just landed on SG1 when flipping channels. My first love was Jack.

I can't pin down when Sam became my other favorite. I think it was a gradual thing. It was just so refreshing to have a competent woman on a scifi show. I loved that she was a scientist but also held her own on the military side. She was a scientist by the way she was written and played (not by giving her glasses and a lab coat ) and she was matter of factly military. In short, she wasn't a stereotype. I think we can thank BW, JG and of course the wonderful AT for that.

Re: LiTS Sure Sam was whumped but I didn't see her as a damsel in distress. I actually liked that they didn't have her running around with a horrible wound.

And although I didn't mind Cam in the ep, I'm with Sky in that it would have been great to see her with Teal'c or even Vala in that ep. A great opportunity for some character interaction we didn't see much that season. I would have liked more time on the Sam part of the ep. (my hobby horse)

Maybe some way to have the Vala-Tomin story elsewhere so Sam didn't have to be shortchanged. I really thought there was more Sam could have said for example, besides the "I've spent ten years trying to convince people they believed in false gods... " maybe if she was stuck with someone else we would have gotten more personal thoughts than with Cam?--particularly since she really expected to die? ... (jckfan dismounts hobby horse.)

Comment

Working...
                                X