Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
    Ummm... Quebecois IS the standard form of the language in Canada. Quite frankly, if they were to distribute something in Parisian French in Quebec, there would probably be the same sort of disgruntled feelings. After all, the Quebecois will be the FIRST to tell you that they are NOT French.
    Yeah, but isn't France a bigger market than Quebec?

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular View Post
      From the math geek, something Sam would certainly appreciate -

Happy Square Root Day! 3/3/09

NC

Oh that's cool . Happy Square Root Day to all of you all than. I wonder what Sam would think of that.

Btw if anyone's interested S4 of Atlantis starts soon on The Space channel . I saw the promo if it today, and one part of the promo said "A New Leader" , and showed a bit of Sam . I'm taping an episode of SGA on The Space channel right now so I can tape that promo . I'm not watching the ep though, remember, I can't watch any other episode outside of my own DVD marathon . I've watched all of S1 and now I've seen 2 episodes of S2 , I saw In the Line of Duty last night, and Amanda was awesome, I haven't seen that ep in a while, and I actually forgot how Awesome Sam was in the ep . The shot of her in the cell, where her eyes are covered by darkness was wicked, and scary .

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
        Funny...I don't where a nurses uniform and I'm still expected to know everything...but I still think it's the boobs...as in women are expected to know everything...even though we pretty much do anyways...it's just the expectations can be a little daunting!

Night all, take care and stay safe! (((Samandans)))
        wow, you sure talk about boobs a lot .

Comment

I think Sams carracter was built realy well! And I think Amanda does a great job playing that role.

Comment

Happy Birthday Bex!!!

Originally posted by Lt.Corlonel Squee View Post
            I think Sams carracter was built realy well! And I think Amanda does a great job playing that role.
            Hey angel...welcome to Samanda...and yes...Sam was built very well! I also think that the role of Sam couldn't have been played better by anyone else other than Amanda. The PTB certainly did the most amazing job in putting together the cast of SG1...and you can see that follow through in Sanctuary with the cast and crew who have worked together over the years on the set of SG...there must be something pretty special in the water in Vancouver!

Not much to to do today...it's been raining a lot today which has been an absolute blessing!
            Night all, take care and have fun!! (((Samandans)))
            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Being a German speaker, you wouldn't, Fresh Horse, but I think it's difficult for English speakers to grasp sometimes.

There's only ever been one voice over that I really disliked and that was the German voice for Scully in the X Files. I remember hearing it when I was 13 in Germany and having a wtf moment.
              lol, oh man, that woman does a lot of work for German television. I believe that you can zap through channels on any given day and hear her voice. She narrates a lot of documentaries.

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
              Good point about the voice change, TJ and Fresh Horse. I'm sure the voice actress could give *her* Helen a little different interpretation than her Sam. I mean it's not like they just read the script like robots. ( at self) So scratch my previous comment.

I wonder if the decision was just something to do with convenience of doing all aspects in Canada or to save money. Is this voice actress too expensive for the Sanctuary production company?
              They definitely don't just read the script. It's no joke when they say that a dubbed version can make or break a movie. It's not just the translation but the interpretation by the dubber.
              If I ever find someone to sponsor this experiment I would have someone else dub a (for example) De Niro movie.
              Then I would divide the audience in two groups. Half of each group have to be De Niro fans, the other can just be regular audience.

One group would be shown the De Niro movie with De Niro's usual voice. The other one would be shown the different version.

I expect the die hard De Niro fans in group two to revolt right there and then and the rest of the audience to not enjoy the movie quite as much as the audience who gets to watch the other version.

I don't actually know how it usually works, but I always got the impression that it's usually distributed abroad and then the target country seeks out the actress to do the voice over, which is how the same artist gets the repeated gigs. So I wonder if the way Sanctuary have done it is to go "Hey, we've done this anyway for Quebec, so let's sell it as a finished product".
              That's how it is done. The company who buys the rights to the film then leaves the dubbing to a studio. The studio then decides who dubs the actors. They do look at who has previously done whom and try to get the same person.
              Sometimes the distributor decides to recast the voice for whatever reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
                I saw In the Line of Duty last night, and Amanda was awesome, I haven't seen that ep in a while, and I actually forgot how Awesome Sam was in the ep . The shot of her in the cell, where her eyes are covered by darkness was wicked, and scary .
                The first time we saw AT play Sam as NotSam. The lighting helped, but she still conveyed Jolinar very well.

Comment

Agreed! Oh, and welcome!

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

I think Sam's character was built really well! And I think Amanda does a great job playing that role.
                    Very well said, short and sweet . Oh yeah, and welcome friend .

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                    Happy Birthday Bex!!!

Hey angel...welcome to Samanda...and yes...Sam was built very well! I also think that the role of Sam couldn't have been played better by anyone else other than Amanda. The PTB certainly did the most amazing job in putting together the cast of SG1...and you can see that follow through in Sanctuary with the cast and crew who have worked together over the years on the set of SG...there must be something pretty special in the water in Vancouver!
                    Oh, oh, wonderfully put Chelle . Like you and many others, I strongly (religiously ) believe that NO other actress could have played Carter 1/10th as well as Amanda . How could they? Amanda Tapping is Sam Carter, she is Sam Carter. PTB created the character, but Amanda made Sam Carter .

I've seen other Sci-fi show, where some of the actress's, and no offense to them, but their acting was sub-par. I'm sitting there thinking, "Amanda at less than 50% is better them some of these actress's at 100%."

Not much to to do today...it's been raining a lot today which has been an absolute blessing!
                    Night all, take care and have fun!! (((Samandans)))
                    Good, good for you Chelle , I hope it says that way for a while .

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                    The first time we saw AT play Sam as NotSam. The lighting helped, but she still conveyed Jolinar very well.
                    Like I said, I hadn't seen that ep in a while, so I didn't remember a lot of it, so when I saw that lighting effect, I was surprised to see it . Speaking of which, when the S2 season premiere of SG-1 started on Monday (I was on my own little hiatus ) TSG was coming to an end, and I noticed, I think for the first time, I saw Sam give Jack a hug as the camera was moving up the gate-ramp . I've never seen that before .

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Welcome to Samanda! your so right about both Sam and Amanda too.

OK guys I got a question for everyone, I know its probably been asked before, I just thought it might be fun. So here's goes:

Out of the 11 seasons we watched Amanda play Sam which ep/eps made you became a Sam fan?

I'll come back with my answer later.

Julia(samcarterrules)
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
                        OK guys I got a question for everyone, I know its probably been asked before, I just thought it might be fun. So here's goes:

Out of the 11 seasons we watched Amanda play Sam which ep/eps made you became a Sam fan?

Julia(samcarterrules)
                        TBH, I think I became a real Sam-fan when I did a rewatch of the whole show (cause untill then I only had eye for the ship ) and then especially after seeing Singularity again.
                        sigpic

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Welcome to Samanda! your so right about both Sam and Amanda too.

Julia(samcarterrules)
                          I was ten (or maybe eleven? ) when I first saw CotG, Sam gave her reproductive organs speech, and I thought she was the coolest person ever!
                          Then came Emancipation, Hathor, Singularity, Solitudes... and it just got better.
                          sigpic

Comment

Good question! It was ... Children of the Gods, and a specific scene. (No, NOT the arm wrestling scene.) It was the scene where Sam is approaching Jack and Daniel at the Chulak DHD, after just having set up the claymore mines. I just loved how she handled that scene -- with just the right touch of both femininity and the confidence of someone who knew exactly what they were doing. I was very impressed!

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                            SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                            Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Julia(samcarterrules)
                              I'd have to say "Singularity". Up until then I had enjoyed the character, but in Singularity, I realized "this woman can act". Then came Solitudes and I was sold.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
                                Good question! It was ... Children of the Gods, and a specific scene. (No, NOT the arm wrestling scene.) It was the scene where Sam is approaching Jack and Daniel at the Chulak DHD, after just having set up the claymore mines. I just loved how she handled that scene -- with just the right touch of both femininity and the confidence of someone who knew exactly what they were doing. I was very impressed!
                                Yes, that was a great moment. I love how she was presented as competent from day one.

Comment

Working...
                                X