Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sueKay
    Heya!

I've never posted here before, but I've written an essay on Sam, and thought you might like to read it.

http://stargateintel.bravehost.com/S...s/Sam/sam.html

and for feedback

http://s10.invisionfree.com/Intel_Fa...topic=135&st=0

(ps - I apologise if there's anything in the essay that people dissagree with)
    A couple of things there:
    Originally posted by Sue K
    Sam was born in the state of Colorado in the mid-sixties
    I assume thats specualtion as to being born in Colorado. I don't recall them ever stating where she was born. Also, according to the episode Entity, Sam was born in '69

She remained leader for a year, before the SGC was downsized and she took a position at area 51. She will return to the SGC and SG1 in the future, but for now, she is enjoying working at area 51, and has started a relationship with Jack O’Neill.
    Definately disagree on that one. I hardly see fishing with Daniel and Teal'c as proof that Sam and Jack are together. Of course I don't ship Sam/Jack, so I'm going to have see alot more evidence before I can admit that they are even looking like being in a relationship
    Also would Sam truly be happy at Nellis? I mean not much can compare to going through the gate on a regular basis...

Sam also has an inability to just have fun.
    Ooo, also disagree strongly with that one. Sam definately knows how to have fun. Space Race anyone?
    I think her tastes in fun are quite different from the rest of the team though. For her, whipping down the highway on her Indian is probably fun but that doesn't seem to me what Daniel or Teal'c would call fun. In fact, I would argue that pulling apart a Naquadah Reactor *is* fun to Sam. Boring as hell to Jack, but very enjoyable for Sam.

Distinguishing features - None
    rofl, Uber's gonna roll her eyes at this, but I would put in 'Hot'

But other than that it was good!

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
      The fact that "Jacob" was in reality Sam in her own mind was the problem for me. Had the real Jacob given her this speech, I would agree that it comes from a concerned father who wants the best for his daughter. I'd have taken that as a way to show his love for Sam. I liked what Jacob, the real one told her in Threads, but I didn't like what "Jacob" said in Grace. As it was Sam and not Jacob speaking, I thought she was telling herself "Look at your life and how you screwed up" and not "Look at your life and how beautiful she could be".
      It was like she agreed that there was something wrong with her because she was single. Well, that's how I understood it. As far as I know, being single is not an illness. I'll support Sam if she finds someone who cares really for her and with whom she's happy, but I don't want her to get married from fear to miss something.
      Well, maybe I heard this speech from my relatives too many times.
      Actually, as I remember it, Jacob said much the same things to Sam in Grace that he said in Threads. I think the difference was in how Sam interpreted it.

In Grace, you have to first take into account the concussion, and her circumstances. As tough as she is, that had to be a frightening situation in which to be. Also, she had gotten tired of waiting for the world to be safe so she and Jack could be together. She thought it would never happen, so she was determined to make a life for herself with someone.....anyone (look how fast she found after that)! In this ep, she decides it's better to have half a loaf than no loaf at all.

By Threads, she had come to the realization that was a geek, and that marrying him to make a life with someone would be a mistake. She realized she couldn't force herself to love him, and finally admitted to herself that she still loved Jack. Between Dad's reaction to , the wedding plans and buying a house, the wrongness of her decision started to close in on her. When Jacob talked with her about what she deserved in life that time, she heard his words (and we did too) differently. Seeing Jack with Kerry affected her too. All these things brought her to that "watershed moment" Uber mentioned in an earlier post. In Threads, she realizes that choosing the wrong person would make her life worse, and decides that it's either all or nothing.

To me, that decision says that she IS already pretty content with her life. If she can have Jack, it will be better. If she can't, then the status quo was already good, and beats being saddled with a guy she doesn't love.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
        She realized she couldn't force herself to love him, and finally admitted to herself that she still loved Jack
        If she can have Jack, it will be better. If she can't, then the status quo was already good, and beats being saddled with a guy she doesn't love.
        Of course, not all of us here see Threads as the confirmation that Sam and Jack are together...

Comment

Actually, as I remember it, Jacob said much the same things to Sam in Grace that he said in Threads. I think the difference was in how Sam interpreted it.
          Yes, the words were about the same but the person was not the same. In Threads,it's the real Jacob and in Grace it's Sam's unconscious mind.

In Grace, you have to first take into account the concussion, and her circumstances. As tough as she is, that had to be a frightening situation in which to be. Also, she had gotten tired of waiting for the world to be safe so she and Jack could be together. She thought it would never happen, so she was determined to make a life for herself with someone.....anyone (look how fast she found after that)! In this ep, she decides it's better to have half a loaf than no loaf at all.
          Okay, she had a concussion and was in a life threatening situation. Now, look at what the illusional Daniel and Teal'c told her. It was all about survival and ways to escape her bad situation. "Jacob" comes into the picture and it suddenly turns on her sentimental life or lack of for a better term. Don't you find that strange ? Sam wasn't going to give up on surviving.
          And I really don't think Sam would chose to have half a loaf considering her past experience with Jonas Hanson. And on a silly note, I had to read twice before I found out who was !!!!
          By Threads, she had come to the realization that was a geek, and that marrying him to make a life with someone would be a mistake. She realized she couldn't force herself to love him, and finally admitted to herself that she still loved Jack. Between Dad's reaction to , the wedding plans and buying a house, the wrongness of her decision started to close in on her. When Jacob talked with her about what she deserved in life that time, she heard his words (and we did too) differently. Seeing Jack with Kerry affected her too. All these things brought her to that "watershed moment" Uber mentioned in an earlier post. In Threads, she realizes that choosing the wrong person would make her life worse, and decides that it's either all or nothing.
          Exactly what I thought : better no loaf at all than half a loaf, in your own words.
          To me, that decision says that she IS already pretty content with her life. If she can have Jack, it will be better. If she can't, then the status quo was already good, and beats being saddled with a guy she doesn't love.
          I'll let the part between Sam and Jack to the shippers. Jack is out of the picture for me, simply because I can't see the ship between them. A really deep friendship, affection, yes, attraction sometimes, but not a real ship. My appologies to all the shippers in the world and the galaxy.

And yes, Sam is content with her life. So what was the point of Grace ?
          I, for once would like to see an episode where they at least explain what was this huge ship.

And on a completely other topic, how is it that Sam doesn't have anymore memories from Jolinar ? I miss that.
          Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
            Of course, not all of us here see Threads as the confirmation that Sam and Jack are together...
            Count me on your side !

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
              I see your point, but I don't think that "Jacob" was implying that there was something wrong with her in the sense that she wasn't married. I think he was saying there was something wrong with her in the sense that she feared true intimacy because she was scared that it would end in sadness...because of her father and her mother and probably because of her horrific experiences with men, most of whom have died.

He wanted her to have everything in life...a fulfilling career and a fulfilling, intimate, true love life with a man she could trust and know would never leave or hurt her...

My ultimate goal for Sam is that at some point in the future, she allow herself to enjoy a richer, fuller life by sharing it with someone (Jack).

My immediate goal for her however is that she be an incredibly strong, brilliant and snarky SG-1 team leader...and that she saves the world a few more times.
              totally agree on your goals for Sam ... well said

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=13137
                SyFy Portal winners annouced - Amanda got pipped by Claudia Black
                And asif Prometheus Unbound got best episode... :|
                what .... that is sooo not right . ..... Amanda Tapping is way, way better than CB.

Comment

i see grace as jacob telling sam thatit's ok to take a risk. face it, finding a guy (or gal) and then putting your heart in their hands isn't easy to do. you have to trust them

now, we see that sam trusts the boys with her life, but after ascension, we definitely get the idea that her private life was private. she kept part of herself from them, somewhere secret where they couldn't get at it

jacob's little bits was to tell her that she could trust someone and that she needed to take the risk. she needed to trust someone or she was going to end up alone.

i don't think he was tellign her 'ya gotta get married' but he was telling her 'hey hon, find someone to share your life with. even if that someone is justa close friend, find someone'
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                    Please allow me to quote General Jack O'Neill...from Lockdown:
                    =====================
                    Sam: He is one of the most highly decorated officers in Russian military history, and he has over twenty years' flight experience.

Jack: And exactly no years in offworld travel. I'm not gonna risk the lives of anyone under my command on a slick résumé.
                    =====================
                    I couldn't agree more, Jack.
                    again TPTB changes the rules

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan

I also agree that JM can't change anything now and complaining about it will not change it. JM is just making nice and plugging his show trying to please all the different fans which can't really be done on any show, but he is at least attempting to try by answering or commenting on the fans questions.

true. and you have to give him credit for that much. he does acknowledge that we exist and, i'm sure, he and others lurk and know peoples' concerns.

which is why, as odd as it sounds, when folks tell me 'hey, don't base all your complaining on spoilers, wait until you see it' i politely ignore them. by the time i see it, it's history. the only way my opinion counts is if it's heard while things are still fluid.

i'm fully aware that some spoilers are deliberately slanted to provoke controversy...hey, they gotta keep the interest up by keeping folks talking, but still, many of the spoilers for s9 leave me cold. maybe i'll change my mind in a month, maybe i won't

time will tell
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                        And on a completely other topic, how is it that Sam doesn't have anymore memories from Jolinar ? I miss that.
                        You have company, Lys!

----------

OK, folks, so what do you think AT's 'surprise announcement' is going to be at Gatecon in late July? (I had to look up the date, hope I got it right). Chopin, Coley and I have speculated via email, but I was wondering if anyone on this thread had their own suspicions?

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                          <snippety snip>
                          OK, folks, so what do you think AT's 'surprise announcement' is going to be at Gatecon in late July? (I had to look up the date, hope I got it right). Chopin, Coley and I have speculated via email, but I was wondering if anyone on this thread had their own suspicions?
                          Uh-oh. Dare I ask? Hmmm..... just speculating... Moving out of SG? Maybe she'll move into directing for SG? Where'd you hear about the 'surprise announcement' from?
                          Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                          My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                            Where'd you hear about the 'surprise announcement' from?
                            Gatecon's website: Amanda Tapping Appearing at Gatecon

Comment

If I remember well, Teal'c said in "In The Line of Duty" that Jolinar was once at war with the System Lords. I take from that that she was a full plain Goa'uld before she met the Tok'ra. This part of her story has completely been ignored.
                              I was thinking, with title like "The Ties That Bind" that if it had been a Sam episode , it would have been great to see her struggle with memories from this time. I don't know, maybe SG1 travels to a planet once ruled by Jolinar and finds some ruins of this war. If there happens to be some new technology useful against the new bad guys in bonus, I'll be in heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

Season 10 of SG ? Isn't it the time of the year when they renew the show ?
                                And where did I hear that the TPTB thought they had enough material for more seasons ? Maybe on the JM thread before I gave up on reading it.
                                Not that I don't think how wonderful it is that JM spends some of his time answering our questions, but I don't want to read spoilers anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X