Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
    That would mean AT wasn't much of an actress all these years, she was playing herself after all
    Sam is Amanda lite. A bit more subdued and more serious.
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
    William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
    Anon

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
      That would mean AT wasn't much of an actress all these years, she was playing herself after all
      Well, joking aside, other than the technobable I find that Amanda put a lot of herself in the character of Carter. I think the number one example of this, without a doubt, is the end scene of The Ark of Truth where Sam gives Cam the bag of macaroons she made (good lord, I start smiling the instant that scene starts). While yes, that's bound to happen after playing a character for so long, and while I also don't follow many actors, I find that the Sam/Amanda combo is, well... amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon 304 View Post
        Well, joking aside, other than the technobable I find that Amanda put a lot of herself in the character of Carter. I think the number one example of this, without a doubt, is the end scene of The Ark of Truth where Sam gives Cam the bag of macaroons she made (good lord, I start smiling the instant that scene starts). While yes, that's bound to happen after playing a character for so long, and while I also don't follow many actors, I find that the Sam/Amanda combo is, well... amazing.
        Well said young man.

By the way, the 3 women listed above Sam Carter were 1. Sydney Bristow (Alias) 2. Winnifred Burkle (Angel) and 3. T'pol (Star Trek: Enterprise). I can see SB, never saw Angel so can't comment on WB but T'pol? I didn't see much of Enterprise but certainly wouldn't list her higher than Sam on a "Feisty" list. In fact, as a Vulcan is she not the antithesis of feisty?

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
          Well said young man.
          Thank you!

By the way, the 3 women listed above Sam Carter were 1. Sydney Bristow (Alias) 2. Winnifred Burkle (Angel) and 3. T'pol (Star Trek: Enterprise). I can see SB, never saw Angel so can't comment on WB but T'pol? I didn't see much of Enterprise but certainly wouldn't list her higher than Sam on a "Feisty" list. In fact, as a Vulcan is she not the antithesis of feisty?
          T'pol!? Seriously!?!??!!! As a Vulcan she's automatically disqualified.

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
            (((Julia)))...it's just a little step back sweetie...better to do that now then struggle and do it a year later!
            I love how your tutor referenced Stargate...never hold back your squeals...let the world know you have great taste!!
            (((Samandans)))
            *hugs chelle and EH-T* Thanks guys. (EH-T I forgot to quote your post )
            Ya, although Emma Peel was pretty darn great.

I agree.

With the recent list of scifi women I went back and checked an old magazine list. Cult Times listed the Feistiest Females in Cult TV. Sam was no. 4. This is what the mag said:

"Why do we love Sam Carter? Because she's the real deal: none of your unrealistic feats of strength and knowledge, none of your supernatural or otherwordly powers. Just a highly trained, intelligent woman who does her job well and speaks up for what she thinks is right, which is one of the reasons why she's the most enduring (and probably the most endearing) woman in our top 10. We know she's not really real, you understand. But we kind of wish she was..."
            Originally posted by rderoch View Post
            But she is real. Her name is Amanda Tapping.
            Exactly! But what great things get said and written about Amanda/Sam, they (both character and actor) are one in a million, IMHO.
            Well said!

Now its time for me to head to bed, night everyone take care.

((((((((Samanda)))))))))

Julia(samcarterrules)
            sigpic
            Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

"Why do we love Sam Carter? Because she's the real deal: none of your unrealistic feats of strength and knowledge, none of your supernatural or otherwordly powers. Just a highly trained, intelligent woman who does her job well and speaks up for what she thinks is right, which is one of the reasons why she's the most enduring (and probably the most endearing) woman in our top 10. We know she's not really real, you understand. But we kind of wish she was..."
              Cool! One of the best descriptions of Sam that I've seen. Definitely an endearing and enduring character. And at 11 seasons and 2 (going on 3) movies, she must be one of the longest-running female sci-fi characters ever.

Well said! I loved that scene too, and macaroons.

sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=Chelle DB;8867344]
                (((Lies)))...so long as Mumsey is happy to share than I am more than happy to accept!! With many thanks...it's beautiful!!!!

Of course I don't mind sharing. It's beautiful and should be displayed often!

Mumsey
                (Desperately trying to catch up after a long time away, and not being too fit on my return.)
                For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

[QUOTE=SWMBOTGSG;8907312]
                  Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                  (((Lies)))...so long as Mumsey is happy to share than I am more than happy to accept!! With many thanks...it's beautiful!!!!

Of course I don't mind sharing. It's beautiful and should be displayed often!

Mumsey
                  (Desperately trying to catch up after a long time away, and not being too fit on my return.)
                  Hope you are OK. (((Mumsey)))

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

yeah, hope you're feeling ok
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      yeah, hope you're feeling ok
                      My own fault. I have an ulcer on my leg and was told to rest it. Despite the efforts of the Legends Team girls, I overdid things in Vancouver, and it got worse. Now I am having a reaction to the anti biotics I've been given, and would kill for a decent nights sleep. Becky says I need mittens to stop me scratching. I itch all over and it's DRIVING ME BONKERS!!!

I'll survive, but I can't wait to get to my doc's in the morning hoping for some relief.

Mumsey (heading for her third disturbed night )
                      For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

Aw, Mumsey! *hugs* I hope you feel better soon!
                        Jenni

Comment

Originally posted by MerryK View Post
                          Other than a couple bumps along the road early on. And some...interesting...material in the mid-seasons. At least the last few were gender-blind to Sam. But hey, women in real life sometimes fall into stereotypes, even when they try to be feminists—it's hard, even in this age, to be free of those old standards. I could hold the flaws against the writers, and I sort of do, but I also accept their canon Sam as a flawed human being. And love her for it.

I would say the last few seasons were more just plain blind to Sam than gender-blind to her.

suse
                          sigpic
                          Mourning Sanctuary.
                          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Well said young man.

It's the skintight clothing. I'm shocked 7 of 9 wasn't above her too.

I despised T'Pol with every fiber of my being. At least the 4 eps of Enterprise I watched. Painful, though I liked the characters that never seemed to have more than 3 lines (Mayweather and Hoshi).

suse
                            sigpic
                            Mourning Sanctuary.
                            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post

I despised T'Pol with every fiber of my being. At least the 4 eps of Enterprise I watched. Painful, though I liked the characters that never seemed to have more than 3 lines (Mayweather and Hoshi).

suse
                              Yea, they went that route and look how long Enterprise lasted
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post

suse
                                I actualy LIKED T'Pol. Maybe it's my love of strong female characters talking, but I liked her... (then again, it's been ages since I've seen Enterprise, who knows what I'd think of her know....)
                                Tumblr: fashion4ducks.tumblr.com
                                Where my mind comes out to play *DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Comment

Working...
                                X