Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    Kids, little mod note, TIIC (the idiots in charge) is NOT an appropriate term to use.
    It's not? Hehe. I was wondering what it meant.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
      For anyone interested, the Blue Moon Awards have opened for the preview round. It's generally adult works - that doesn't mean that it's kinky or anything, just that it's not necessarily Disneyfied. There are quite a few PG works up there as well.

Related, but slightly off topic
      Spoiler:

I've got nominations! Wooot! I never get nominated for anything, so whoever did it, thank you! I've got both Shattered and Land of the Setting Sun in the R-NC17 Team Drama category, in R-NC17 Best Author and in R-NC17 Best Story! I can't believe it. So big, big thank yous!

Anyway, voting starts on July 26th, I think. So there's a couple of weeks to read the stories.

ETA: I guess the link would help http://www.moonsmusings.com/bluemoon/ficnominees.html
      *\o/*Congrats, Tracy!*\o/*
      sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
      May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Originally posted by LilFerret View Post
        What always intrigued me about Janet was that she carried a lot of clout (especially with Jack. I swear he was petrified, in a good way, of that woman...), and garnished respect, even though her status as CMO did not outweigh the fact that she was only a Major. Jack listened to her, when he could have easily pulled rank.

I just can't see that ever happening with Keller. I think she's too afraid of stepping on toes, and making a bad impression, to demand her patients put their health and well-being first.
        That's a good observation...however, you're comparing SG-1 to SGA. Janet is a military doctor, on a military base. Dealing with soldier, who are not the easiest of patients, she would have to be that way. However, Beckett, a regular doctor, did not have the clout that Janet did, because he didn't need it. Neither does Keller, for the same reason. And since I'm not military, the only doctors I've met have been much more like Beckett and Keller than Janet.

That being said, Keller tries to put her foot down, and sometimes succeeds...she's just not iron-fisted.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
        ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
          I am SOOOOOO jealous of your collection. I want one!

As for the turtleneck. I KNOW that Sam wore a turtleneck in at least one episode, but for the life of me I can't remember which one(s).
          So, not paying attention to my posts, eh?

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
          Is it Octorber yet?

Looks forward to a show that will star Amanda, and have her as a producer so we won't get the 'boys club' attitude

*see not everything has to be denial*
          Me too. Oh, and FYI, October comes after September!

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
          LOL!

Not quite the right example, but the first scene that came to my mind was the 'Napoleonic Powermonger' scene, when O'Neill was insisting he could go find Daniel. Sam was out cold on the other bed. Dr. Frasier says 'No', but he tries to get up off the bed and immediately collapses. Then Teal'c kindly picks him up off the floor and plops him on the bed again. Totally hilarious! One of my favorites of the whole series

Love that scene.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by MerryK View Post
            That's a good observation...however, you're comparing SG-1 to SGA. Janet is a military doctor, on a military base. Dealing with soldier, who are not the easiest of patients, she would have to be that way. However, Beckett, a regular doctor, did not have the clout that Janet did, because he didn't need it. Neither does Keller, for the same reason. And since I'm not military, the only doctors I've met have been much more like Beckett and Keller than Janet.

That being said, Keller tries to put her foot down, and sometimes succeeds...she's just not iron-fisted.
            Well, that's a tricky one. I'm not sure TPTB have ever exactly established this. They do have a chain of command--sort of. Seemed like Shep went off and did his own thing sometimes, but Weir was supposed to be his boss. So you'd think they'd give the doc similar powers even if he/she were a civilian.

If nothing else, the doc reports to the leader of the base & the officers have to take her orders. So
            Spoiler:
            if Sam had really wanted to stop Shep from going on the rescue mission, he would have had to obey.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
              Well, that's a tricky one. I'm not sure TPTB have ever exactly established this. They do have a chain of command--sort of. Seemed like Shep went off and did his own thing sometimes, but Weir was supposed to be his boss. So you'd think they'd give the doc similar powers even if he/she were a civilian.

If nothing else, the doc reports to the leader of the base & the officers have to take her orders. So
              Spoiler:
              if Sam had really wanted to stop Shep from going on the rescue mission, he would have had to obey.
              Spoiler:

So you're saying it was Sam's mistake to let Shep go on the rescue mission? I agree, Sam should have whooped his arse back into the infirmary!

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
                Spoiler:

So you're saying it was Sam's mistake to let Shep go on the rescue mission? I agree, Sam should have whooped his arse back into the infirmary!
                Well
                Spoiler:
                as much as I understood why she did it & why TPTB had him do the unbelievable hero thing-(I was surprised he didn't sew himself up, a la Rambo ) I think it was not the smartest thing she ever did. Now I've only watched it once, but my thought was that she didn't *want* to get that report from Keller b/c she'd have to ground him then. She said something like "so if I talked to keller, she'd say you were fine?" In other words, Keller would say he belonged in bed. Sam understood why he felt he had to be in the rescue.

Comment

Well
                  Spoiler:
                  as much as I understood why she did it & why TPTB had him do the unbelievable hero thing-(I was surprised he didn't sew himself up, a la Rambo ) I think it was not the smartest thing she ever did. Now I've only watched it once, but my thought was that she didn't *want* to get that report from Keller b/c she'd have to ground him then. She said something like "so if I talked to keller, she'd say you were fine?" In other words, Keller would say he belonged in bed. Sam understood why he felt he had to be in the rescue.
                  S&R
                  Spoiler:
                  I understand Shepard's insistence and Carter's reluctance, and based on past scenes from both series, how the scene played out is consistent. The problem I have with it is that they didn't make it credible with the nature of his injuries. A man who had lost copious amounts of blood and who had a length of rebar pulled out of his leg simply would not have had the ability to walk, much less lead a rescue team- whether he needed surgery or not. I would have liked to see Carter give him the trust your team lecture or Ronan confront him with a comment about how he would be endangering rather than helping Teyla. Good drama has heroes, not superheroes (unless the drama is about superheroes...).
                  sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                  May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Well this is my GW anniversary so I thought I'd say something profound…I got nothing.

Ok, just a few thoughts then. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for making this a great place to hang out. We're drawn together by our appreciation of Sam and Amanda Tapping. (Thanks majorsal, for starting the thread!)
                    We have interesting discussions, lots of silly stuff, great pics & captioning. We pull together and show our support when a Samandan is in trouble. We've got Penguins & Polar Bears laughing and playing together, for crying out loud! Samanda has grown over the years, but the core philosophy and attitude has remained strong.
                    Hic Comitas Regit!

jckfan55 (Royal Minister Without Portfolio)

Comment

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
                      LOL!

Not quite the right example, but the first scene that came to my mind was the 'Napoleonic Powermonger' scene, when O'Neill was insisting he could go find Daniel. Sam was out cold on the other bed. Dr. Frasier says 'No', but he tries to get up off the bed and immediately collapses. Then Teal'c kindly picks him up off the floor and plops him on the bed again. Totally hilarious! One of my favorites of the whole series
                      When it comes to medical matters, I'm pretty sure Janet outranks everyone on the base, even if her rank doesn't. She even overruled Hammond early on in "Fire & Water" when he was insisting on returning SG1 to the field immediately in spite of losing Daniel. Janet argued with him that it was best if they had several days downtime and Hammond disagreed. Janet overruled him and he backed down.

Comment

Well this is my GW anniversary so I thought I'd say something profound…I got nothing.

Ok, just a few thoughts then. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for making this a great place to hang out. We're drawn together by our appreciation of Sam and Amanda Tapping. (Thanks majorsal, for starting the thread!)
                        We have interesting discussions, lots of silly stuff, great pics & captioning. We pull together and show our support when a Samandan is in trouble. We've got Penguins & Polar Bears laughing and playing together, for crying out loud! Samanda has grown over the years, but the core philosophy and attitude has remained strong.
                        Hic Comitas Regit!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY JCKFAN!

Can't green you as I have apparently already done that today! As for what you said, I think it was pretty profound.

As you know I am technologically challanged so I'm afraid these are the only Jack pics I can give you: (please note that out of respect for you, none were shippy)

Comment

as to sam and shep in S&R

Spoiler:
                          all theyneeded to do to get shep on the mission without having him defy/delude sam....'colonel, i've checked, i'm the only person on this ship with the ATA gene. I'm the only one that can fly the jumper'

wham, bam, thank you maam, logical reason that allows shep to play the hero without it being OTT
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                            as to sam and shep in S&R

Spoiler:
                            all theyneeded to do to get shep on the mission without having him defy/delude sam....'colonel, i've checked, i'm the only person on this ship with the ATA gene. I'm the only one that can fly the jumper'

wham, bam, thank you maam, logical reason that allows shep to play the hero without it being OTT
                            'kay, I still haven't seen S&R but really Sky, aren't you asking too much to expect logic to be used?

Comment

Hic Comitas Regit!

http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/87/jckfansigba6.jpg
                              Congrats on the anniversary jckfan and yes very profound This community certainly had gone through a lot, but our support of each other is what makes us strong

From the Royal Fertilizer Agitator
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I'm home, I'm home, I'm home!!! There really is no place like home. Where have I heard that line before? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Anyway a big THANKS to all of you who had some fun in our two little surveys about the weather and snow. In between taking care of my dad for a week it was just my way of having a little fun with all of you eventhough it was SO OT I was getting mighty close to that dreaded WET NOODLE of DOOM. And now for something ON TOPIC. I wasn't able to see Search and Rescue, no SCI-FI channel at dad's. However, what the heck happened on that episode to get so many of you ranting and raving??? I've never seen so many spoiler tags. Yes, I
                                couldn't resist them. I know I'm weak, forgive me. I take it that many of you were not happy at how Sam/Amanda was written out of the show. Sounds like she got booted out of the command. Maybe it's a good thing I didn't see it then. It still bothers me to always see her as second fiddle in the opening credits in SG1 seasons 9 and 10. When I got on this thread today it was still smokin' from yesterday's comments. Is it safe, eyeing the Gutter as a possible retreat.

Comment

Working...
                                X