Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
    Wow! The book for Amanda is up to almost 300 pages! I'm so impressed!

RL has been BUSY the last week. I go to the office, start fielding media requests and all of a sudden, it's time to escape to lunch. I go back to work; then, at 4:30, time to escape home. I've barely had time to check in here the past few days, but what little I've been able to read has inspired me, as usual. What great posts you make on a regular basis!

Astrog, I loved your morning drive through the valley story. I've had a similar "constant scan" experience with the radio too.....with similar luck. It was between Nashville and Knoxville. I was glad I had my CDs along.

Sally, I'm sure glad I didn't watch NCIS last night. I don't like to think about the deaths of any member of SG-1 either, especially Sam. Heck, I can't even read fan fic where there's major character death!

SamFan31 and ForeverSG1, your beautiful pix always make me go....."Aaah....."

Deepspace and Chopingal, I love your wit!

Welcome to theQ!!! Another Tennessean! Wow! Now there are at least three of us. Pretty soon, we'rre going to have to start having chapter meetings!

And Uber, don't you dare stick your head in the Ancient knowledge device! Your posts are some of the most eloquent on this thread! We can't have you start writing them in Ancient! We wouldn't be able to read them!

Uber, I love the class photo you posted! I'm looking for a full body photo. I think there's a deliberate reason I don't have one.....hmmmmm. Besides, I'm usually the person taking the photos. There's a family event this weekend. If I don't find one by then, I'll take one to send to you. I sure hope we'll all get to download the compilation when you're finished!

I'm glad to find you all well and carrying on with Samadan rituals and pageantry. I'll check back in ASAP!
    What true Southern hospitality ... coming back with a kind word for everybody! Thanks, SG Tennessee! Get that photo in to Royal Photographer asap! Good to have you back.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
      Wow! The book for Amanda is up to almost 300 pages! I'm so impressed!

RL has been BUSY the last week. I go to the office, start fielding media requests and all of a sudden, it's time to escape to lunch. I go back to work; then, at 4:30, time to escape home. I've barely had time to check in here the past few days, but what little I've been able to read has inspired me, as usual. What great posts you make on a regular basis!

Astrog, I loved your morning drive through the valley story. I've had a similar "constant scan" experience with the radio too.....with similar luck. It was between Nashville and Knoxville. I was glad I had my CDs along.

Sally, I'm sure glad I didn't watch NCIS last night. I don't like to think about the deaths of any member of SG-1 either, especially Sam. Heck, I can't even read fan fic where there's major character death!

SamFan31 and ForeverSG1, your beautiful pix always make me go....."Aaah....."

Deepspace and Chopingal, I love your wit!

Welcome to theQ!!! Another Tennessean! Wow! Now there are at least three of us. Pretty soon, we'rre going to have to start having chapter meetings!

And Uber, don't you dare stick your head in the Ancient knowledge device! Your posts are some of the most eloquent on this thread! We can't have you start writing them in Ancient! We wouldn't be able to read them!

Uber, I love the class photo you posted! I'm looking for a full body photo. I think there's a deliberate reason I don't have one.....hmmmmm. Besides, I'm usually the person taking the photos. There's a family event this weekend. If I don't find one by then, I'll take one to send to you. I sure hope we'll all get to download the compilation when you're finished!

I'm glad to find you all well and carrying on with Samadan rituals and pageantry. I'll check back in ASAP!
      Um... excuse me???

I was in fact the ONLY person that should have stuck my head in the brain sucking...thingy.

It just so happens that I have an Ancient/English dictionary...EXPANDED EDITION...right here next to my PC.

Please make a note of this for future brain sucking incidents.

Thank you.
      Last edited by Uber; 25 May 2005, 07:22 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan

For the record, as the snarky Samandan and someone whose sense of humor is frighteningly similar to O'Neill's, plus there's the whole, "I'm not the sharpest bulb in the box (yet another trait I share with Jack), AND I'm just the Royal Photographer ie., way more expendable, I believe it was my duty to stick my head in the brain sucker. I would NOT have allowed more valuable Samandans to take my place.

I also think there was a memo to this effect sent out to the masses a while back.

And if there wasn't a memo there should have been.

So...there.
        We love you, Uber
        Oh yes we do
        Royal Photographer
        We bow to you

Though you may be less
        than Carter bright
        You still have far more
        than low-watt light

You keep us going
        And always post
        was not a ghost

We feel your pain now
        Sal got your due
        And you have every right
        to be in a stew

Best we can offer
        Give us a break
        Is Jack's A-okay
        And a piece of cake

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...l/JackOkay.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...l/JackCake.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
          Hi all,
          Have been out of town, but I have updated the SaGC Collection with recent submissions.
          The new PDF file is 8.7MB... Recent additions include Agent Dark's wonderful drabble (page 5) and Chopingal's Haiku to Amanda (page 13).

I have updated the Index Post with the addition of Deepspace's latest chapter (3) in the Tale of the Lost Elder - Great job, deepspace - what fun! Good to see that the Elder is now out of the cargo hold!
          Thanks so much, AstroG, for all this hard work -- nice to hear a little about your roadtrip too!!

And Deepspace---great job on the The Lost Elder, Part 3!! I see you are joining the ranks of Samandan's fabulous fanfic writers! Agent Dark, too!

Okay, I'm confused in regard to CJ's interview posted on Gateworld. (How's that for a sudden change of topic). Don't worry--I am not going to say anything negative-- just a small rant. Let me know if it is not appropriate.

I just wondered whether CJ (and MS too) could have been a little more tactful in his discussion of season 9. I think it is great that they are enthusiastic and I think they should definitely express it, but I guess I would do it without any hint of comparing it to what it was like when RDA was on the show. It seems to me that if RDA decided to quit after season 5, that would have been it for the show. I don't think they are intentionally saying anything negative about RDA and "his people", but I guess I would refrain from saying this is the best time I've ever had on the show.... even if I felt like that. I would thank RDA for all his time and dedication to the show and also say that it is because of him that we are still here (something like that). Maybe they have done so already in another interview. And then I surely would say how much everyone is getting along, having a blast, etc.. and that I think the stories are really good, etc, and we are trying our best, and I hope the fans like it. I guess I would be careful about how I worded my enthusiasm just in case it could be misinterpreted. Just a thought.

Anyway, more on topic about Sam. These interviews were conducted before AT came back to work. CJ mentions the team already and we know that Sam wasn't back yet, so I am wondering how she'll fit on the team. How are the writers going to work Sam back on the SG1 team? Will she be included on off-world adventures---will she be eventually considered part of the team? That is what I am assuming, but maybe I shouldn't be?

I also am really looking forward to an interview from AT down the road. I am curious about how she will talk about season 9, RDA, and the feelings on the set. I wonder if she will also say this is the best time she has ever had on the show. Again, this would not be wrong---I'm just curious about how she'll phrase it.

Anyway, here's to hoping for alot more kick-ass competent brilliant Sam in Season 9!!

Comment

spoilers for s8's moebis

Originally posted by Skydiver
            yeah, unfortunately

i almost wrote it that way, daniel witnessing it and having to be held back but went for the 'easier' way out of finding the bodies and hearing the account

goa'uld are flashy, they gotta make a scene

now, to placate sally....ra COULD have killed them, then sarc'd them to make them serve himb (course, you don't jus sarc anyone, you'd have to be pissed and want to make a point...i'm not sure if sg1 had ticked him off that much yet. However, they did have enough unique things to pique his attention. Apophis first prime, a blue eyed blonde who was a host.)
            that brings up something that came to mind a bit ago. 'would' sam had really been executed, or would RA have wanted/been interested in keeping her around because a- she was 'different' to other women, and b- he'd have sensed the naquada in her blood?

sally

ps - i'm writing/reading this thread at the commercial breaks in the season finale of Lost.
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
              Yep, Madam Vice President, our dearest Royal Page knew just who would most appreciate the O'Neillium mind transfer - belated birthday gift, perhaps?!

can't rep you (apparently i've repped *everyone* on this planet )

so,

(((chopingal)))

thank you.

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                For the record, as the snarky Samandan and someone whose sense of humor is frighteningly similar to O'Neill's, plus there's the whole, "I'm not the sharpest bulb in the box (yet another trait I share with Jack), AND I'm just the Royal Photographer ie., way more expendable, I believe it was my duty to stick my head in the brain sucker. I would NOT have allowed more valuable Samandans to take my place.

I also think there was a memo to this affect sent out to the masses a while back.

And if there wasn't a memo there should have been.

So...there.
                *sticks tongue out*

he's MINE!!!

*runs off*

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

OK, I know that this is our Sam thread, but I want to chime in here... Last night, I was spending my last evening visiting my mom... she likes NCIS and I'm OK with it
                  Until I saw the last couple of minutes of the episode. It was horrible ... that scene in NCIS should have come with a forewarning - it was horrible. I too thought of the writers as simply mean, Sally, so you are not alone. All night long that image of her getting shot kept flashing through my head - ugh - and this isn't even a show that I was terribly excited about.

My mom broke the silence in the room after Kate was shot, 'I don't think I'm going to watch this show anymore....' And *she* was the one (of the two of us) who *really* liked that show.

And then, I too thought of Sam... and the Stargate series... and how they have killed off some good characters over the past couple of years. And how there are some threads out there (on this very forum), where there are some fans that I think are pretty mean... suggesting and discussing which characters should be killed off and why.

I've said it before on our thread... I can handle dead - if it's 'scifi dead' for any of the main characters.. and 'scifi dead' means that they get to come back - that they aren't permanently dead. It's scifi... it's fiction... and I don't watch to get depressed ...

I still am not happy with Janet's death in the series... or Jacob's - I think they lost so much more than they gained by killing those characters off.

Killing Sam off? Permanantly? I actually thought about that last night... and the only thing I could think of was that I don't think I'd ever be able to go back and watch an episode of Stargate again.
                  I'd have to get rid of all of my DVDs (Seasons 1-7), because I know that I wouldn't be able to watch Sam on the screen without continuously thinking about how they killed her off (and revisualizing those scenes in my head over and over again).

There are so many ways that they could have handled Sasha Alexander's desire to the leave the series - (and actually what she wanted was a less grueling schedule, so it's too bad they just didn't cut back her scenes and give her a cut in pay and let her be happy with life) - they didn't have to kill her... and they certainly didn't have to do it as they did. I was pretty pissed when the show was over. Pissed and depressed.

Thank goodness for that wonderful sunny morning with pleasant temperatures... and a little 'Wonderful World' as I drove home this morning.
                  Wow ... for our dear Astro to get her knickers in such a twist, that must have been some mean ending.

It sounds like what they did to Janet in Heroes in a way. Again, we've all been over this on previous pages ... but, the reality of war could have been brought home with the young airman losing his life in the field and then seeing his wife alone with her baby ... a young widow. This is happening every day in Iraq and the audience would have felt the impact of the message that "war is hell".

We lost so much when we lost Janet ... the only other strong female in the cast and a true friend to Sam. The two actors worked hard from very first season to make sure that both characters would be portrayed as colleagues and friends and not as competitors. To their credit, they made their friendship arc something worth watching and it added richness to the show. Likewise, we had Martouf (who had shown some promise as an interesting recurring character who held the secrets of Jolinar and, thus, a connection to Sam) and Jacob (who came on the scene and bonded so well with Sam that it was hard to believe that they were only playing at being father and daughter). Frankly, without Martouf and Jacob, the Tok'ra hold no special interest for me anymore. Janet could have easily stepped in for the first few episodes of S9 and held her own while Sam was away. I guess it reminds me of a cliche (eek, sorry Jack) but throwing the baby out with the bathwater just diluted a lot of the intensity and chemistry for the other characters and future arcs.

I could never believe that they would use the death of Sam as the plot device if she were to want to leave at the end of this season. I'm with you, Astro, that such a low ball would just make me turn the television set off in shock and utter dismay. Loyal fans don't deserve that kind of treatment, not after nine years. I'm from the "riding off into the sunset" school of film myself. It fits better with humming along to "It's a Wonderful World".

Now we're about to meet a whole new cast of players ... my head is spinning from reading the spoilers regarding the episodes already up on the board and the arcs ... Holy Hannah ... CJ is saying it's the best ever ... so much novelty and newcomers ... but I'll need a scorecard next to my TV set just to get it all straight. Did anyone notice how many storylines and new villains and maybe villains and whoever and whatever are about to explode on the screen?! Yes, it's time for a transfusion of energy but I'm not sure I'll survive the overload.

Hey, Uber, you don't have to worry about the download from the O'Neillium ... just place your forehead to the front of your TV screen every Friday night from July on ... and you'll have massive amounts of new knowledge zapping right in! We'll all be able to experience the same thing!

I just hope all this quantity translates into quality.
                  Last edited by ChopinGal; 25 May 2005, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Wow ... for our dear Astro to get her knickers in such a twist, that must have been some mean ending.

It sounds like what they did to Janet in Heroes in a way. Again, we've all been over this on previous pages ... but, the reality of war could have been brought home with the young airman losing his life in the field and then seeing his wife alone with her baby ... a young widow. This is happening every day in Iraq and the audience would have felt the impact of the message that "war is hell".

We lost so much when we lost Janet ... the only other strong female in the cast and a true friend to Sam. The two actors worked hard from very first season to make sure that both characters would be portrayed as colleagues and friends and not as competitors. To their credit, they made their friendship arc something worth watching and it added richness to the show.

Likewise, we had Martouf (who had shown some promise as an interesting recurring character who held the secrets of Jolinar and, thus, a connection to Sam) and Jacob (who came on the scene and bonded so well with Sam that it was hard to believe that they were only playing at being father and daughter). Frankly, without Martouf and Jacob, the Tok'ra hold no special interest for me anymore. Janet could have easily stepped in for the first few episodes of S9 and held her own while Sam was away. I guess it reminds me of a cliche (eek, sorry Jack) but throwing the baby out with the bathwater just diluted a lot of the intensity and chemistry for the other characters and future arcs.

I could never believe that they would use the death of Sam as the plot device if she were to want to leave at the end of this season. I'm with you, Astro, that such a low ball would just make me turn the television set off in shock and utter dismay. Loyal fans don't deserve that kind of treatment, not after nine years. I'm from the "riding off into the sunset" school of film myself. It fits better with humming along to "It's a Wonderful World".

Now we're about to meet a whole new cast of players ... my head is spinning from reading the spoilers regarding the episodes already up on the board and the arcs ... Holy Hannah ... CJ is saying it's the best ever ... so much novelty and newcomers ... but I'll need a scorecard next to my TV set just to get it all straight. Did anyone notice how many storylines and new villains and maybe villains and whoever and whatever are about to explode on the screen?! Yes, it's time for a transfusion of energy but I'm not sure I'll survive the overload.

Hey, Uber, you don't have to worry about the download from the O'Neillium ... just place your forehead to the front of your TV screen every Friday night from July on ... and you'll have massive amounts of new knowledge zapping right in! We'll all be able to experience the same thing!

I just hope all this quantity translates into quality.

You know, you make a great point about Janet. She could have been the one to fill in much more while AT is out the first five/six episodes, and then of course continue as a recurring, or even heaven forbid, a regular, along side AT. That would have been wonderful! What an opportunity they could have had for season nine if Janet was still around. She is my second favorite character---actually Jacob too. Rats! Rats! Rats!

I hope I can keep up with the changes as well. I must for Sam's sake!

Comment

Hello Everyone,

Uber and I were talking tonight and a few questions popped up that we felt we should pass onto the loyal subjects of Samanda.

1) Does Samanda have a motto??

2) Does Samanda have a Royal Flag?

We would like to ask for suggestions for both if the answer is presently no.

Thanks Kat

Comment

I am not so worried about being overloaded with all they say they have planned for S9 - TPTB said some similar things about Moebius and how our heads would swim with all they had packe dinto it (I only watched part 1 and found it so boring and so not what a season ender (and, at the time, possible series ender) should have been I did not bother with part 2). I felt what I did see in no way lived up to the hype TPTB put out on it and I have lost almost all faith in them with what they have done and where they seem to be going that I really don't think that S9 will be all that hard to follow nor will it be the "new" beginning they profess it to be - just my opinion and as you can see I am still in that negative bad place I was in awhile back so I am pretty sure there is no climbing out of it for me at this point. I'll just bide my time and wait and see what they do with/to Carter when she returns and then decide whether I will watch or leave the show behind for good. If Carter was not returning at all I can safely say that at this point I would have been gone long ago I am still holding out a small shred of hope they do the right thing by Carter and then maybe it will make S9 bearable, if not then it won't, at least not for me.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                          I am not so worried about being overloaded with all they say they have planned for S9 - TPTB said some similar things about Moebius and how our heads would swim with all they had packe dinto it (I only watched part 1 and found it so boring and so not what a season ender (and, at the time, possible series ender) should have been I did not bother with part 2). I felt what I did see in no way lived up to the hype TPTB put out on it and I have lost almost all faith in them with what they have done and where they seem to be going that I really don't think that S9 will be all that hard to follow nor will it be the "new" beginning they profess it to be - just my opinion and as you can see I am still in that negative bad place I was in awhile back so I am pretty sure there is no climbing out of it for me at this point. I'll just bide my time and wait and see what they do with/to Carter when she returns and then decide whether I will watch or leave the show behind for good. If Carter was not returning at all I can safely say that at this point I would have been gone long ago I am still holding out a small shred of hope they do the right thing by Carter and then maybe it will make S9 bearable, if not then it won't, at least not for me.
                          Hope you're right on all the bluster ... it just seems like they keep adding more and more recurring "new" players to the credits lines, but only time will tell if the season will live up to its hype. For most of us on this thread, that will come down to how Sam is written ... good to see you're still around.

Comment

Killing Sam off? Permanantly? I actually thought about that last night... and the only thing I could think of was that I don't think I'd ever be able to go back and watch an episode of Stargate again. I'd have to get rid of all of my DVDs (Seasons 1-7), because I know that I wouldn't be able to watch Sam on the screen without continuously thinking about how they killed her off (and revisualizing those scenes in my head over and over again).
                            me too. (understatement) and seeing how stargate handles killing off beloved characters, we'd prob never hear one word spoken about sam again... jeez, this topic's too horrific to even contemplate.

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Hear Ye Hear Ye Hear Ye

A Sincere Thank You for Going Beyond the Call of Duty
                              To Keeper of the Flame and Royal Photographer
                              Who, at this very moment, are slaving away
                              Creating works of art to be included in the
                              Great Compilation, Volume I, of Samanda

Roses are red
                              Violets are blue
                              This Hot Pink Basket of Flowers
                              Is for the both of you

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...PinkBasket.jpg

And it is the picture of the exact same flower arrangement that we sent to the Queen when she returned to work!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                                Hello Everyone,

Uber and I were talking tonight and a few questions popped up that we felt we should pass onto the loyal subjects of Samanda.

1) Does Samanda have a motto??

2) Does Samanda have a Royal Flag?

We would like to ask for suggestions for both if the answer is presently no.

Thanks Kat
                                Brilliant Idea! All citizens of Samanda ... please put on your thinking caps and offer suggestions for the Samandan motto and royal flag.

Perhaps we can then vote, as good citizens are wont to do, on our favourite selections.

Methinks that the Royal Photographer and Graphics Designer are up to something.

Comment

Working...
                                X