Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
    Ah! the joys of family and long explanations! Good luck with trying to explain this mob to 'em

Maybe stick with Sam & Amanda are fantastic!!!

Or maybe you could try to recruit your family as new fans? You'll either win them over as fans or they'll disperse very quickly and leave you alone
    Ohw now that sounds like a plan, Id say go for that. Ive already recruited most of my fam just got my sister to go, Yeah thats gana be a challange she swears she hates all sci/fi (bar red dwarf)

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
    Nope sorry, fangurling for anyone other than Amanda is only allowed every third Saturday of the month, except in leap years when it's also allowed on the second Tuesday as well.
    Wait a second, isnt that when you said prostration it, No fangurling anyone apart from Amanda on prostration day!!!

Originally posted by stargate barbie View Post
    well its been scientifically proven that i'm dead inside, so no sniffles here.
    aside from that though, jckfans mostly right. this is a sort of unique enviroment. even in other character/actor appreciation threads, as far as i've seen, its mostly about the thunking, so they end up fairly specific in terms of gender, but obviously not neccessarily exclusive. but here the only common denominator required is liking the same person, regardless of the reason.

and the fact that its more or less a faceless enviroment, nobody cares what everyone else looks like, or how old they are or anything like that. we can't judge each other based on first appearances. (like it or not, everyone forms an initial opinion on others based on appearance, before we ever get to know each other. we can't help it. people make assumssions based on what we see in the first few seconds of meeting someone). here, we can't do that. we can judge based on avatars and sig pics, but aside from that we have to actually look at what people say, not who they are.

oddly for someone of my age and lack of responsibility in real life, i'm actually friends with people in real life ranging in age from 17 to 40+ and older. i'm 25, i've never really had a "real" job, but in the part time job i've been in for the last 6ish years, i've had the opportunity to make friends with people that another environment never would have afforded me. similarly there really is no reason that sam couldn't be friends with keller or teyla or anyone just because she's 10-15 years older. jack is about the same amound older than daniel. teal'c is waaaay older than any of sg-1.

but i do think that another element on this thread is partially down to the person we come here to appreciate. if you look at fans of other people (not neccessarily stargate people), a lot of them have tendencies to almost emulate the opinions and attitudes of their idols. a lot of actors have egos. big egos. even if they are the nicest person EVER, they still have an element of ooh-i'm-so great. AT is often noted for being one of the least selfish and least egotistical actors around, by other actors. unconsciously, people tend to try to emulate the people we look up to. we don't always succeed (i definitely don't). but we try.

anyway, now that i've had my weekly rambly fangurl moment, i'll just slink away and hope nobody noticed i was ever here.....

probably should have made a shorter post for that then...

(the important thing is, i'm dead inside)
    Ohw im pretty sure thats not true. I dont think your dead inside.

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
    Anyone up for a captionary?? if not, just call this a picspam

capped Hathor today and it was fun seeing that ep agian, although I must say I see the ep now from another pov, then I used to see it. While I still think this is a great ep, I have a few questions about it though lol. But it was nice to see Sam and Teal'c working together and also Sam and Janet... I love the early friendships... great
    ow I love Captions. Ok ill try (probably will be a sad attempt but here goes...)

I could have swarn that was prostration day...

Hey, i bet you 20 bucks the colonel has gotten himself into trouble again.

Hey look at this Janet
    What up?
    looks like prostration days changed

ah sir if that hand slips any closer i am going to have hit you
    sigpic

Amanda_Tapping_Fan

Comment

Cross posted from the S/J thread because my nephews distracted me. I meant to post it here

I found a very silly book at work today. After we all made fun of it, I bought it It's called The Wit and Wisdom of Polar Animals and has lots of pictures of polar animals with silly (although I'm sure the author would disagree) "advice."

Heeee! I will be posting them over the next few weeks Plenty of fun for the penguins and the polar bears.

Ok, I'm off now. When I'm back in town and on my own computer I will post more (I just spent nearly an hour using my dad's scanner).

Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        cool, so i'm an associate research assistant in the care and feedig of cranky 6 month olds that just had thier shots
        Awwww...poor bubby!!! Just another part of the job I guess...we don't get paid enough!!! Immunizations are never nice but the alternative can be dreadful...my kids are fully immunized but even so, when Niki was 18 months old she still contracted Whooping Cough but it could have been a lot worse had she not already been inoculated...as it was it developed into pneumonia but thankfully she recovered quickly once the doctors started treatment.
        Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
        We have an altar?
        I thought we did our sacrifices at bonfires. And only on the third Thursday of every month. Mark your calendars.
        If we don't have an alter already, than I should think it's about time we got one!!!!!
        Thank god I have most Thursdays off...heaven forbid I should miss out on the bonfire sacrifices...what exactly do we sacrifice??
        Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
        I didn't think we prostrated--we bounce.
        Amanda! Amanda!
        I wonder if she knows how many posts this thread has now. I remember when one of you guys told her about it originally she was surprised at the number then.
        Originally posted by resurgamlaura View Post
        *Bounce bounce*
        Someone should give AT the heads up, considering that you guys have not long passed 75,000
        OMG....75,000 posts!!!! Wow!! That's impressive!!!
        Maybe one of you lucky Samandans who is going to the Gabit event next year can let Amanda know how well her thread is going??
        Originally posted by L.A. Doyle View Post
        Yay! I got LITS back! A few months ago it got stuck in the VCR. Well, I don't think I mentioned it here, but I got a job and I'm moving. So, I was like this VCR has to go! But I didn't want my tape to go. Then my brother pulled a Sam Carter and took it apart and saved my tape! *hugs 'Line in the Sand'.
        What??? And no hug for you brother who pulled the 'Sam Carter" and saved the tape for you??? Tsk tsk tsk...I'm surprised you didn't pull a Sam Carter yourself Jena!!
        Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
        I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. I'll soon be 40 yrs old and Cassie is one of my favorite people on the thread. I have met many people online who are nearly twice her age and yet act twice as immature. Imo, age doesn't always reflect maturity level and if Sam being the boss were really an issue then we really wouldn't have much of a discussion now would we because Sam will be everyone's boss, not just Keller's.
        Honestly, I can see Sam becoming quite friendly with everyone, but I really don't see her having a deep relationship with anyone in Atlantis. I think there will always be a barrier between her and the others simply because she is the boss and also because she knows what it's like to put her heart and soul with her team and to lose them. It's a very difficult position to be in and the additional pressure of being responsible for each person under her command now will just intensify that pressure, I think. So while I'm sure we'll see Sam friendly to everyone, I think she will also put up walls to distance herself emotionally.
        Originally posted by Über View Post
        Same.
        I'm 34 and I find for me at least that maturity is a funny thing. There are lots of people I know who are younger chronologically but have a wisdom about them that people twice their age haven't been able to acquire.
        One thing I love about this fandom is the fact that it ranges so nicely with the ages and that no one's judged here for being younger or older or whatever. Perhaps in part because of the level of anonymity that being on the internet provides. Now it just so happens that I do know several of y'all (although I've met none in person) and have never cared about age differences here. Cass knows I adore her (although I'd love it if I could actually talk to her more often) and I've similarly enjoyed the friendship of many of our "youth challenged" Samandans.
        As for Carter, I think she'll respect people generally speaking because of their roles and responsibilities and I think will connect with all kinds of people. Maybe she'll see herself in Jennifer and they build a friendship on that or maybe they'll have the same kind of quirky, self-deprecating humor and bond over that. But I don't think Sam would necessarily "dismiss" (for lack of a better word) the idea of a friendship with someone because of an age difference.
        ON EDIT:
        You know, this was so much clearer in my head than it is after typing it. But that's what happens when you attempt to write your thoughts out after taking allergy meds.
        I'm just sayin'.
        Wow...you guys are awesome...you hit the nail right on the head. Well said!!
        Age should never be a barrier to do what you want in life...and that includes who should be your friends. Just last Friday I went out with some fantastic girls I met through the Stargate conventions and we went shopping together. It was great. We all giggled and carried on...even though I was the old woman in the group, I didn't feel my age at all...and I certainly didn't act like some of my "mature" minded friends. Even the girls I chat with online, they are all younger than me...one is only 17...and I think the oldest is about 26??...oh...there are a few that I have chatted to that are in their 30's but still not as old as me!!
        I cant remember exactly how the saying goes but I think it's something like this...
        "You may have to grow old but you don't have to grow up"
        Does that sound right???
        (((Über)))...hope the allergies are clearing!!
        So if you don't mind me asking...but who is Cassie??? I don't know many of you by your real names, only by your pen names...could we make a list of real names like we did with our birthdays??? Just thinking is all...but of course I realize that not everyone wants to have their real name splashed over the thread...just ignore me...I'm slowly waking up having been asleep for over 15 hours last night...that's the equivalent of me sleeping 3 days!!!
        Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
        Argh! I'm back home. On the 2nd computer that dad set up in the corner of the living room... huge extended family (here for my dad's 60th and my niece's 3rd birthday) keep wandering past and saying "wet noodle of doom?"
        Needless to say that my explanation becomes shorter and more to the point each time... now I'm at the point where my reply is "she beats us with it."
        Sigh.
        Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
        Ah! the joys of family and long explanations! Good luck with trying to explain this mob to 'em
        I've given up on my family...but yesterday on the tour bus...I gave half the passengers the lowdown about shipping, slashing and Stargate in general...it was funny actually..you should have seen the look on their faces when I told them about slashing...not one of them had a clue to what I was talking about!! Then I told them about the stargate fandom and how we chat in the forum and about the conventions and about the novels and the cafe press stuff and merchandise I have...and showed them my shippy tote bag...and I said a whole lot more...it was fun. And to think the whole conversation started when we were talking about internet banking!
        Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        i agree. I think she will be friendly professional, politely nice...but is she going to grab a bottle of wineand dish on gossip with anyone there?
        no
        She's their boss and while she will be friendly and open, there will always be a distance between them
        Well that's kinda sad...and lonely...and sad!!! Poor Sam!!! Thats' just too depressing to think about...I hope she bonds well with one of the female crew so she has someone to talk with when she's on down time.
        Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
        I agree, Oooober. I never think of people's ages unless they mention something in a post that gives it away. But it doesn't make me judge them one way or the other. I think there are some pretty amazing people (including our lovely spazzie) on this thread, whatever their ages. One of the things I think is cool is that we are united by our common worship adoration appreciation of Amanda Tapping. It has brought people of all ages and geographies together. IRL would I talk much to 20 year olds in a non-work related way? I probably wouldn't think of it. Would they talk to me? Probably not. Here, it's not an issue.
        This place is a great combination of thought provoking, gushing and silly posts. A great place to hang out. And above all:
        Hic Comitas Regit
        Yay...awesomely said!! Though I wouldn't have struck out the words "worship" and "adoration"....I agree with you 100% jckfan!!
        "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
        Hug Your Loved Ones!!
        ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Well if you are starting a list of rl names mine is...Amanda, yip not hard to remember I love sharing a name with the best actress in the intire world
          sigpic

Amanda_Tapping_Fan

Comment

Great pics Eve...I'm no good at captioning...I'll leave that to the professionals!!
            Cross posted from the S/J thread because my nephews distracted me. I meant to post it here
            I found a very silly book at work today. After we all made fun of it, I bought it It's called The Wit and Wisdom of Polar Animals and has lots of pictures of polar animals with silly (although I'm sure the author would disagree) "advice."
            Heeee! I will be posting them over the next few weeks Plenty of fun for the penguins and the polar bears.
            http://img487.imageshack.us/img487/4...denial2lf7.jpg
            http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/3...nbattleac2.jpg
            Ok, I'm off now. When I'm back in town and on my own computer I will post more (I just spent nearly an hour using my dad's scanner).
            Cool pics Eileen!!
            Originally posted by Amanda_Tapping_Fan View Post
            Well if you are starting a list of rl names mine is...Amanda, yip not hard to remember I love sharing a name with the best actress in the intire world
            You are so lucky...your name has become so popular around here...we used to have a gazillion Amanda's when I was a kiddy in school...but there were more Michelle's unfortunately...a lot of the Amanda's got shortened to Mandy though...and Michelle would get shortened to Mish or Mishy or Shelley.
            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

On Sam and Keller, SGA S4 relationships...

Spoiler:

I agree with those that say that there will be/should be a certain amount of distance because Sam is in charge.

The thing I loved about Hammond was that they struck just the right balance between authority and closeness; he was there for them, cared for them - you could always see that he hurt when they hurt; he backed them up when they needed to be backed up. But he also held the official line when he needed to even if it was with an air of 'it's not my decision but we have our orders' and gave them discipline when they needed it. Fundamentally, SG1's respect for him gave him his authority but also imbued the relationship with a sense of depth and paternal/familial fondness. If they crossed the line and disappointed him, they were never OK with disappointing him even if they believed their actions were right. They never forgot his was in charge but there was a personal sense of caring and friendship that went beyond the doors of the SGC.

I think the problem with Weir in some respects is that they struggled to really define her relationship with the Atlantis flagship team in the same way as they had done with Hammond. Hammond was always clearly set up to be the boss and peripheral support. While because Weir was meant to be more central to the mix, she ended up being this uncomfortable mix of 'Mom' and friend. There's the sense that the team could get away with a lot because of the friendship before 'Mom' would step in.

It will be interesting in some respects to see what they do with Sam. I think they're aiming for something between Hammond and Weir - something where Sam might get an occasional story/plotline as Weir did but her role in regards to the set-up is much more like Hammond. She's their boss first and foremost rather than their friend. In which case, a working friendship/mentorship with Keller is probably not out of the question; after all, Hammond and Fraiser had a lot of scenes together and a lot of interaction as you would expect between the CMO and Commander.

Hmmm. I think what I'm trying to say is that Hammond was clearly BOSS/friend while I think Weir ended up being FRIEND/boss; and I think if they move back to the Hammond dynamic for Sam with the Atlantis team, that's not a bad thing IMO and doesn't mean that she wouldn't form bonds with the team or a friendship just that she would clearly still be the BOSS.

I fear I've confused myself...
              sigpic
              Women of the Gate LJ Community.
              My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
                Anyone up for a captionary?? if not, just call this a picspam
                http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...or/ishot-2.jpg
                http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...r/ishot-11.jpg
                http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...r/ishot-12.jpg
                http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...r/ishot-19.jpg
                http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...r/ishot-25.jpg
                http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...r/ishot-32.jpg

capped Hathor today and it was fun seeing that ep agian, although I must say I see the ep now from another pov, then I used to see it. While I still think this is a great ep, I have a few questions about it though lol. But it was nice to see Sam and Teal'c working together and also Sam and Janet... I love the early friendships... great
                A very nice picspam and captionary it is too

Just what does get sacrificed at those bonfires?

No one patronises Sam Carter, where's the armoury...

Focus my energy? Vibrating Chi? Screw that I'm getting a big gun...

http://img487.imageshack.us/img487/4...denial2lf7.jpg

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/3...nbattleac2.jpg

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/4838/byebl3.jpg
                Very cute and wise animals indeed, lol that looks a fun book...I have something very similar with Frogs *g*
                sigpic
                Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

*snerk*

Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Well seeings how it's pretty quiet here and hubby has given me more invoices and quotes to do, I'm going to say goodnight. Take care everyone, be safe, have fun and hug your loved ones!!!
                    (((Samanda)))
                    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

*snerk*

I hope Mandy and JanSam are taking notes.

and they want me to do what with my solar plexus?!
                      sigpic

Comment

Heh, "vibrate with chi."

Beware though...

Has anyone seen the Blackbooks episode where Manny swallows the little book of calm? I'm going to be like that for a while
                        Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

NC

Comment

Has anyone seen the Blackbooks episode where Manny swallows the little book of calm? I'm going to be like that for a while
                            I have seen that episode and it is a fantastic image to have in your mind *g* do you have the serene expression and glowiness too?
                            sigpic
                            Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                            My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
                              I have seen that episode and it is a fantastic image to have in your mind *g* do you have the serene expression and glowiness too?
                              Yep. And the robes and frazzly hair.
                              Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db View Post
                                OMG....75,000 posts!!!! Wow!! That's impressive!!!
                                Maybe one of you lucky Samandans who is going to the Gabit event next year can let Amanda know how well her thread is going??
                                Actually Julia and many of the G4 frequent this thread and IIRC, Julia did share with Amanda last year at AT2 how many posts and views the thread had. In fact right now we're at 1.4 million views and 75,000 posts. It should be quite a bit more than that by the time next May and AT3 rolls around.
                                So if you don't mind me asking...but who is Cassie??? I don't know many of you by your real names, only by your pen names...could we make a list of real names like we did with our birthdays??? Just thinking is all...but of course I realize that not everyone wants to have their real name splashed over the thread...just ignore me...I'm slowly waking up having been asleep for over 15 hours last night...that's the equivalent of me sleeping 3 days!!!
                                Yep. Many of us (like me) do like our anonymity since the world is way smaller than most think. (And for any who think this forum or thread is like some little locked LiveJournal or blog that noone else reads.... *snorts* Think again........) Some have freely used their names since the beginning when they joined GW like dipsofjazz ((((Bev)))) , and other times other posters have "out-ted" some persons names without their permission. As a colleague of mine says - "Nothing beats an ask, the worst you can hear is a no." The answer for me would be no, but others may have different answers for you.
                                Well that's kinda sad...and lonely...and sad!!! Poor Sam!!! Thats' just too depressing to think about...I hope she bonds well with one of the female crew so she has someone to talk with when she's on down time.
                                I don't know... even then she'd still have to be careful. 'Cause that bonding with a female crewmember you talked about - can easily backfire if of not of equal rank, and even then sometimes that might not be so good. (There are some good time-honored reasons for those frat regs even for friends type ships....)

I agree, it's a sad and lonely position that she may be put in out there in Atlantis, but hopefully (although I don't see how ATM they'll give Sam a colleague of equal rank/stature to develop a friendship with. Because she will need to 'decompress'. (LOL! Maybe Sam can blog her frustrations away?) But I can tell you from experience if you try to establish and keep a 'friends' or 'friendly' relationship with those you give work direction/"orders" to... you get damned/labelled pretty quickly. Funny how those who were use to the smiles and jokes, especially before you were their superior, get a problem real quick when faced with a firm no-nonsense face/demeanor during the few times they get followed up on because they're not doing their job or don't think it's part of their job to do what's being asked of them. Then the "boss" gets labelled moody by some (and funny too that it's women-on-women labelling) because these certain staff want a smiley/happy/doesn't correct/followup with me kind of boss 24/7/365. (And believe me - you *can't* be all friendly when something bad has gone down that the worker has done and needs to correct themselves (to learn from their mistake) or when something needs immediately done for the good of the customer (or unit) and the worker thinks it's not in their job description....

Ah well... I just hope for some good writing and story arc for the character of Sam. I know Amanda will bring her 110% and then some to the delivery of those lines.
                                Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                                My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Working...
                                X