• Show
Clear All

her tone of voice was hysterical in that
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      her tone of voice was hysterical in that
      It really was! Amanda is a very funny woman. And I mean that in a nice way....!
      "Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage," William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night

Comment

Originally posted by wibbling View Post
        It really was! Amanda is a very funny woman. And I mean that in a nice way....!
        Yes she really is very funny... a goofball...and that is also great.Cause aren't we all from time to time...it makes life so much nicer

I really love the beginning though...about Thor.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
          Yes she really is very funny... a goofball...and that is also great.Cause aren't we all from time to time...it makes life so much nicer

I really love the beginning though...about Thor.
          yes, that bit's hysterically funny. I think she's mentioned Thor touching her bum on more than one occasion!
          "Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage," William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night

Comment

Originally posted by wibbling View Post
            yes, that bit's hysterically funny. I think she's mentioned Thor touching her bum on more than one occasion!
            Yes she did...I still remember an interview...on one of my dvd's where she said he was touching her bum and she hit him...and then said sorry...even though she knew it was a puppet. But because it is so well done, they sometimes forget he is a puppet

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
              Yes she did...I still remember an interview...on one of my dvd's where she said he was touching her bum and she hit him...and then said sorry...even though she knew it was a puppet. But because it is so well done, they sometimes forget he is a puppet
              that was it! Think it may have been Small Victories or something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
                Oh yay?

And I've just learnt so, so much about women training in medicine in the 1800s. Fascinating stuff. Cricket and fencing and French and Latin. Fabulous.
                Yes, it is fascinating! I love anything to do with that century in Britain

The Oh yay! was for my 1000th post

And I love, love, love the whole "The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-coloured flags!" I am constantly quoting it. One of my workmates was quite disappointed when she realised I was quoting someone because she had thought I was Just. That. Funny.
                Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by NZBG View Post
                  Yes, it is fascinating! I love anything to do with that century in Britain

The Oh yay! was for my 1000th post

And I love, love, love the whole "The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-coloured flags!" I am constantly quoting it. One of my workmates was quite disappointed when she realised I was quoting someone because she had thought I was Just. That. Funny.
                  You ARE just that funny! And don't let anybody tell you otherwise!

... congrats on your millennium!

Comment

*sigh* Having logistical issues with my fanfic

Spoiler:

Issue #1: Based on spoilers, Helen was born in 1850 and historical fact shows John Druitt was born in 1857. It was usually seen as improper to have a wife older than yourself. Or girlfriend or whatever. Traditionally the man was the older party.

But Helen doesn't strike me as the traditional type. So I can live with that.

Issue #2: Based on timing and the rest of it, it would work out perfectly for Helen to train in Blackwell and Garrett Anderson's newly founded London School of Medicine for Women (founded in 1874). 24 year old Helen being a little like the black and white Ashley that Damian describes would be very interesting, I think. Plus being one of the first cohort would be fascinating.

However, I also really, really, really wanted John Druitt to meet Helen at medical school. Cheesy but a fun idea. But John, being younger, didn't finish his first degree in classics at Winchester College (yupp, he was a local boy. I can probably find him on my local records at the town hall!) until 1880. So that screws that up. John did his secondary education at Winchester boys then studied medicine at New College, Oxford, later doing a degree in classics at New College. After that, he trained as a barrister.

Issue #3: The London School of Medicine for Women offered many social events such as tennis, bowling, cricket and fencing. I think fencing would be perfect for Helen and this could also be an interesting meeting point for Helen and John. But the evidence of social activity comes from 1917. Does this mean that social activity didn't take place prior to that, or is it just that that particular photo comes from 1917. Dare I use a little poetic licence?

Issue #4: John was a prolific debater at university (I kid you not!). I would love to see John and Helen debating but I think that's problematic, given that even in today's debating culture, it is seen as a sport for conservative gentlemen of public school background (as a liberal female from a state school, I was pretty much the antithesis of what my society expected from a coach!).

Garrrrgh! Decisions, decisions!
                    Last edited by Tracy Jane; 06 May 2007, 04:29 PM.
                    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
                      *sigh* Having logistical issues with my fanfic

*snip*

Garrrrgh! Decisions, decisions!
                      Heh. My debate coach at school was an Italian/Chinese lesbian with a (nearly) mullet. We loved her.
                      Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Ok. Now I'm completely stumped

(More Sanctuary Fanfic Woes)

Spoiler:

Amanda said in the Urban Rush interview that Helen Magnus was one of the first doctors at the Royal College.

Now, we are presuming that this refers to the Royal College of Physicians in London. However, this was not a centre for medical instruction, nor has it ever been. The Royal College of Physicians (note it is physicians, not surgeons or apothecaries) was created in the era of Henry VIII in order to regulate physicians and ensure that high standards of health care and professional values were being met by all physicians in England.

Good so far?

The Royal College, then, did not instruct trainees, this was done at one of seven main hospitals in London, which only took on young, male candidates. The Royal College actually granted and revoked licenses and set the bar for exams and gaining them.

Still following? Good.

The problem comes into play in 1858, whilst Helen was only eight years old. This was one year after Elizabeth Blackwell gained her license in the US and one year before she came to give her high profile speech in the UK which inspired Elizabeth Garrett Anderson to embark on her own medical training.

The 1858 was the year of the medical reform which set new standards and educational requirements for new doctors. This reform meant that new apprentices had to go to a university to study for a physician's licence. Though Cambridge and Oxford were originally the most prestigious, by 1870, London University and Edinburgh were thought to have the best education and toughest exams.

The problem that comes into play is this: The medical reform of 1858 set up a new governing body known as the General Medical Council (GMC) that became responsible for issuing and revoking the licences. So why would Helen have anything to do with the Royal College?

Fast forward a few years to when Elizabeth Garrett Anderson qualifies as a doctor. The government allows her a license, but then they tighten up on the 1858 act (I think this is now the 1867 legislation we're talking about). No medical school or university would permit a woman to train.

Until 1874 when Elizabeth Blackwell, Emily Blackwell, Elizabeth Garrett Anderson and other very famous contemporaries rented a room in a townhouse in London to educate potential women doctors.

Helen would have been 24 at this time, a perfect age to train for the medical profession, and these would have been her idols. Though it would have been hard to get an invite, I think as a respected doctor himself, Dr Magnus would have been able to get his daughter an audience with the team.

What I don't understand in this whole thing is how Helen managed to become one of the first women in the Royal College. Yes, it's a professional body, but what has that got to do with anything? And what about the BMA (British Medical Association)? Where does that fit into all this?!

Gaaaaaaaaaargh! I'm torn between making up complete cack in order to comply with a comment made in an interview and going with historical fact!
                        Last edited by Tracy Jane; 06 May 2007, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Go with the historical event, then change it if we learn something more in Sanctuary.

(And have chocolate cake and beer for breakfast. Always good.)
                          Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by NZBG View Post
                            Go with the historical event, then change it if we learn something more in Sanctuary.

(And have chocolate cake and beer for breakfast. Always good.)
                            Okie dokie. Thank you

Comment

TJ, I'm afraid you have probably done more research into the subject matter than the writers have
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                                TJ, I'm afraid you have probably done more research into the subject matter than the writers have
                                Haha! So true
                                Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Working...
                                X