• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that thread got moved for maintenance but it's back now
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Guys, i do think that we need a little...tweaking?

Ok, we have a helen thread in the general scifi stuff. Sally has started a 'amanda and her roles' thread which should cover all the other stuff amanda has done, and this thread is for Sam.

i know we've never cared when things drift off topic before, but now that we have three distinct threads we might want to keep an eye on the topic now.

If for no other reason than to keep these threads alive. If they are too similar, people will be wanting them merged, however if they are three distinct and separate entities, then they can all survive on their own.

I'm not chasing anyone out or issuing an ultimatum, just making an observation.

And from the POV of a person that can't/won't be able to see sanctuary, this is probably the only place left for me to discuss Sam/Amanda in where the whole conversation isn't hidden behind spoiler tags and unreadable.

Just an idea and thought for folks to ponder. Not a mod request.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

i know we've never cared when things drift off topic before, but now that we have three distinct threads we might want to keep an eye on the topic now.

And from the POV of a person that can't/won't be able to see sanctuary, this is probably the only place left for me to discuss Sam/Amanda in where the whole conversation isn't hidden behind spoiler tags and unreadable.

Just an idea and thought for folks to ponder. Not a mod request.
        I understand the request and from a "tidy sock drawer" point of view I think it's very valid.

My thing? I don't like going to four different places to discuss Sam/Helen/Amanda. I like ... well, I like ... Samanda. A one stop shop. I'm probably in the minority, but I find it difficult to keep up already some days and with 3+ threads? I don't go into the "Amanda" thread much as it is, because of that. I've never been to the "Helen" thread even once, didn't know it was there frankly. If it is at all possible to have (or create) a place that is "Samanda", where it all can be discussed, I would really be for that. It's not hard to find all those other threads, but I think there's a common thread that ties us all together anyhow. Maybe it's because I tend to be more social than analytical when it comes to my forum involvement. I can see how some might want to have those in-depth character discussions without interruption or side-tracking and I think that's fair. But a lot of the time, I just want to talk to 'everyone' (I'm a social trollop like that ). So I really don't have a solution to this - just a personal point of view, I guess.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

hee hee, spazzy and I look remarkably alike!

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post

Spazzy & friend heading down to the tropics to join the party

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
            I understand the request and from a "tidy sock drawer" point of view I think it's very valid.

My thing? I don't like going to four different places to discuss Sam/Helen/Amanda. I like ... well, I like ... Samanda. A one stop shop. I'm probably in the minority, but I find it difficult to keep up already some days and with 3+ threads? I don't go into the "Amanda" thread much as it is, because of that. I've never been to the "Helen" thread even once, didn't know it was there frankly. If it is at all possible to have (or create) a place that is "Samanda", where it all can be discussed, I would really be for that. It's not hard to find all those other threads, but I think there's a common thread that ties us all together anyhow. Maybe it's because I tend to be more social than analytical when it comes to my forum involvement. I can see how some might want to have those in-depth character discussions without interruption or side-tracking and I think that's fair. But a lot of the time, I just want to talk to 'everyone' (I'm a social trollop like that ). So I really don't have a solution to this - just a personal point of view, I guess.

Mini, I'm with you on this one.

Actually, I wasn't aware there was an Amanda thread or a Helen thread. In a way I think it's kinda sad because, as you say, this was always the one stop for all things Amanda related. We've always made a big thing of saying that allthings Amanda related happen here, that it's a discussion thread for both the actress and the characters, that it's a thunk thread, that it's a bit social, that it's everything rolled into one.

After all, it's Samanda. Without the more general Amanda discussion, then it's just the Sam thread, right?
            Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by NZBG View Post
              HAhahaha! I love it! There... I added a bit

Thanks for working on the list, it is really helpful.
              I do prefer tequila and pizza. That's something we should so have when we have our bsg marathon!!!!
              I know that Nadir is still up here:
              http://www.stargatefan.com/fictionqz/RoadfromNadir.htm

When I first read that story, it blew me away. I am a survivor of rape. That was one of the most articulate pieces dealing with the implication (in a fictional scenario) that I had ever read.
              Thank you so much for sharing this. I loved this fic. I seriously couldn't stop reading... even though it's almost 2am. And I'm a slow reader, so it took me all night. But I'm so glad I read it. Yeah, all I can say is thank you for sharing.
              Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
              Some geeky Sam icons... (I know if you look at some of the icons...you would think I am crazy...and well let's face it I am )
              *snip*
              Eeep, I love your icons!!! So cute!
              I know it's off topic, but I really want to share

See, I can't get over all the pathetic, petty letters people write into the uni newspaper So I decided to try my hand at a bit of satire... my friends reckon I got the tone of the average letter just right. And it got letter of the week, so I have a $25 voucher to spend at the campus book store.

Spoilers for off topic and language...

Spoiler:
              Dear MacGyver-is-a-god-lient

So, I just opened my physics notebook and found a half-read copy of Salient. Of course I paused to admire the photo of myself (I'm good like that) and continued reading.

To my dismay I discovered that not only did Food writer Jules Van Cruysen compare MacGyver to the usefulness of a kinky animal fat, his name was spelled wrong. The horror! This pretty much amounts to blasphemy. Give the guy a belt buckle, shoelaces and a piece of gum and he can totally build a nuclear reactor on your arse... some people just should not be ****ed with.

I am completely disgusted and embarrassed on your behalf. I would appreciate it if you would consider putting measures in place to make sure that the divine entity known to mortals as Richard Dean Anderson is never insulted in this way again.

Cheers,
              Carter

Oh, like my pseudonym? I didn't have time to think of something witty and clever... I think I will stick with it for the rest of my time here st uni .
              I can't help it. I have to fan girl you now Eileen. I couldn't stop giggling at this letter! Everyone I was with (people who I've only met this year) were just looking at me sideways. They don't know the fan girl me... yet.
              MY fanfic writing style is as follows ...

*snip*

What?
              I don't write fanfic.
              Much.
              At all.
              Really.
              Well nothing worth reading.
              At any rate.
              This is like my writing style too! I've attempted a couple of things, but I'm so critical of my self and my own work that no matter how much effort I put into it, I'd never be happy.
              *snip*
              Someone should take this internet thing back off me
              NO! Don't! Then we won't be able to talk until 1.30 in the morning! I've missed that! (And for some reason stupid telecom has made it a toll call to phone her place... even though it's like a 20 minute walk away. I miss telstra)
              Originally posted by JanSam View Post
              Newsflash....

This just in, two polar bear have been spotted on a tropical beach....

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/9...onbeachzk8.jpg

Mandy, "Boy about time you got here! Spring break is just starting."

Jan, "Sorry I had to borrow the Samanda's bartender's tips to rent the boat."
              The first thing that popped into my head was "lost!"

And what I came here to share. In my IT tutorial we've had to make power point presentations. And because I'm having to do basic IT (damn me and not passing... *facepalm*) it's very very basic common knowledge stuff, we had step by step instructions on how to insert a picture... Anyway. For our last slide we had to insert a clip art picture on how we felt about our work blah blah blah. I used...

Then this week we had to insert more pics to a different presentation... I used the previous one and...

I was sitting there in the middle of the tut texting Eileen asking where the last 2 were and getting a message through myspace with the links. And a big thanks to Ooooober!

Anyway. It is now 2am and I have a class in 8 hours. Night.
              sigpic

"I don't know how you can call yourself a scientist and not worship at the altar of Roddenberry" - Coombs
              "The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-coloured flags!" - Amanda Tapping
              My Livejournal my Tweets and my Tumblr

Comment

Sadly, I have to agree with Mini. The fact that this thread has suddenly become extremely specific will pretty much limit my participation even further. I enjoyed this thread because I could chat about all things involving Amanda/Sam. I'm sure for some it's an easy task to go check out the other threads, but in my opinion from what I have seen of the Helen and Amanda thread, they are basically both doing what this one used to do. The Helen thread discusses how great Amanda is and how everyone thinks Helen is going to be a great character and they talk in great detail about Sam in the Amanda thread, so how has anything changed? All three threads tend to meld into the other's territory a bit. It just means that now I just have multiple threads to keep track of and participate in.

Now I can completely understand if the OT chatter is getting on some people's nerves which is why the Blue Jello corner was created, but it just seems to me that we are dissecting everything that made this thread so cool in the first place. I admit I don't post as often as I once did. Honestly, I just don't have the time to keep up with all the posts. I log on, catch up as best I can and try to respond to one or two posts in the process...so I suppose it won't be a huge loss if I participate even less than usual. I just hope that the separation doesn't end up being the downfall of the great community we've managed to create here.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
                  Sadly, I have to agree with Mini.

Comment

I think you have something in your eye. :: Hands mini the visine:::

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it."--Thucydides

Comment

hey, i'm not saying that anything HAS to be done. I'm just bringing up a topic. I too don't go into the helen thread because i doubt i'll be able to see sanctuary and even if i do, i don't want to be spoiled. And my main familiarity with amanda is Sam so...here's where i play. I haven't seen stuck, there's not much to discuss from Void or any of her guest shots so....sam is all the amanda i really know.

If folks are cool the way things are, fine. I like this thread, it's one of maybe six that i participate in on a regular basis. But i do know that, as fun as the chit chat is, it can be a bit off putting.

no matter what i do i step on toes

Folks can know that they're out there if they want to go play.

sigpic

Comment

hey, all you aussies, wanna go see corin???

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=42673

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spacegirlnz View Post
                          This is like my writing style too! I've attempted a couple of things, but I'm so critical of my self and my own work that no matter how much effort I put into it, I'd never be happy.
                          hey, you never know until you try. adn sometimes we are our own worst critics.

I bet if you wrote something and posted it that folks would love to read it

sigpic

Comment

as fun as the chit chat is, it can be a bit off putting.
                            oh please! you love my incessant off topic rambling and you know it!

*kisses*

Comment

oh please! you love my incessant off topic rambling and you know it!

*kisses*
                              Especially the cutsie-wootsie random pictures that accompany many of those posts.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

hey, i'm not saying that anything HAS to be done. I'm just bringing up a topic. I too don't go into the helen thread because i doubt i'll be able to see sanctuary and even if i do, i don't want to be spoiled. And my main familiarity with amanda is Sam so...here's where i play. I haven't seen stuck, there's not much to discuss from Void or any of her guest shots so....sam is all the amanda i really know.

If folks are cool the way things are, fine. I like this thread, it's one of maybe six that i participate in on a regular basis. But i do know that, as fun as the chit chat is, it can be a bit off putting.

no matter what i do i step on toes

Folks can know that they're out there if they want to go play.
                                I'm with mini and Ooooooooober. One stop Amanda love. Over at the RDA thread, we discuss (okay, discuss isn't ther *right* word there) RDA's many roles - MacGyver, Jack, Bill Parrish, Ernest Pratt, etc.

I've grown accustomed to finding all the cool people here. I don't wanna have to search for you all again.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X