• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheee, baby emu's
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Just read tagger's chapter! Oh, the plot thickens! I sense wump ahead...

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
        This is totally OT so I'll put it in a spoiler for those of you who do not wish to read it. Last night as the clock struck midnight, my sister and I began to make a list for our New Year's Resolution. As usual it was filled with highly unlikely goals and dreams. You know the ones...find a husband(sister's), get over my fear of flying, learn to speak a new language, finally get into a size 6 dress, end world hunger. I'm sure many of you understand what I'm talking about. Anyway, after much laugher and erasing, I think I've finally acquired a much more attainable list.

Spoiler:

My New Year’s Resolution

10. Make at least one new friend

9. Learn a new skill/take up a new hobby

8. Try to give up at least one vice by the end of the year( not Samanda!)

7. Drink more water

6. Exercise ( play Dance Dance Revolution with my daughter )

5. Read at least one new book a month.

4. Try to do more to make the world a better place.
        ....Volunteering,
        ....Donating Money
        ....Donating Blood – because the life I save may one day be my own.

3. Spend more quality time with my family

2. Get outside and breathe fresh air.
        ....Note to self - summer in Texas is not a healthy time to be outside or to breathe the air.

1. Remember to smile

Links to sites I've found that I hope to achieve my goals this year.
        Spoiler:

Make a Difference

Volunteer Solutions

Network for Good

Doctor's Without Borders

Donors Choose

Delta Society

Little Brothers

Heifer.Org

Second Harvest

Blood Saves

Donate a Phone

Used cell phones are reprogrammed with emergency numbers and then distributed to domestic violence victims. "We give them out left and right," says Officer Ed O'Carroll of the Fairfax County, Virginia Police Department.
        Call: 1-888-901-7233 to donate a used cell phone.

I wish you all a Happy New Year and even if you don't make your own resolutions this year, I hope everyone can at least obtain #1 on my list.

Just think of Amanda and it shouldn't be too difficult, right?
        Spoiler:

You know, The Body Shop is a good place to donate cell phones as well. When I upgrade my cell/mobile I always take the old one to them. It goes to Domestic Violence victims. Here's a link to where The Body Shop Corporation does to help: Stop Violence in the Home

I know that link doesn't say anything about donating phones, but you can go to any The Body Shop and tell them you'd like to donate your old cell/mobile and they'll take it and give you a receipt for tax purposes.
        sigpic
        I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

ForeverSG1 - wonderful new year's resolutions! I wish you (and everyone) much success with achieving your goals for 2007.

Shameless plug for one of your resolutions - donating blood. That is such a *fantastic* thing to put on your list! (Well, the overall resolution - to help make the world a better place - is pretty great in itself!) I'm not able to donate a lot of money to charities, and my work schedule makes volunteering a bit difficult, but I donate blood fairly regularly. For anyone thinking about donating blood - please do! It *will* make a difference in someone's life!
          sigpic
          Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
            I'm a bit frustrated at my friends about the rabbit. They had told me just before Christmas that they had got an excellent present for me and were really excited. Well, I didn't get chance to see them because of work and the rest of it, and thought nothing about getting my present when I came back.

I got a phone call the day I came back, with a cryptic message about my Christmas present and how it could have drowned in the flood (caused by a burst pipe) over Christmas. And I thought it must be something electrical and "Summer" was a cryptic way of telling me what shop it came from (Scari will know what I mean).

Anyway... I finally got into my friend's flat yesterday morning and there was about half a foot of water there. I assume some of it had drained out, judging by the damage. And on the floor was my Christmas present. A white lop-eared rabbit with brown freckles and patches. But she had drowned in the flood.

So I'm really annoyed at my friends at the moment. What sort of person leaves a pet alone for over a week?!?!
            Ugh. Ugh. Ugh! How awful! I wondered when you first posted what they'd meant by that, but since you didn't say anything I had assumed nothing really drowned. <<<<<<<TracyJane>>>>>>

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
              This is totally OT so I'll put it in a spoiler for those of you who do not wish to read it. Last night as the clock struck midnight, my sister and I began to make a list for our New Year's Resolution. As usual it was filled with highly unlikely goals and dreams. You know the ones...find a husband(sister's), get over my fear of flying, learn to speak a new language, finally get into a size 6 dress, end world hunger. I'm sure many of you understand what I'm talking about. Anyway, after much laugher and erasing, I think I've finally acquired a much more attainable list.

Spoiler:

My New Year’s Resolution

10. Make at least one new friend

9. Learn a new skill/take up a new hobby

8. Try to give up at least one vice by the end of the year( not Samanda!)

7. Drink more water

6. Exercise ( play Dance Dance Revolution with my daughter )

5. Read at least one new book a month.

4. Try to do more to make the world a better place.
              ....Volunteering,
              ....Donating Money
              ....Donating Blood – because the life I save may one day be my own.

3. Spend more quality time with my family

2. Get outside and breathe fresh air.
              ....Note to self - summer in Texas is not a healthy time to be outside or to breathe the air.

1. Remember to smile

Links to sites I've found that I hope to achieve my goals this year.
              Spoiler:

Make a Difference

Volunteer Solutions

Network for Good

Doctor's Without Borders

Donors Choose

Delta Society

Little Brothers

Heifer.Org

Second Harvest

Blood Saves

Donate a Phone

Used cell phones are reprogrammed with emergency numbers and then distributed to domestic violence victims. "We give them out left and right," says Officer Ed O'Carroll of the Fairfax County, Virginia Police Department.
              Call: 1-888-901-7233 to donate a used cell phone.

I wish you all a Happy New Year and even if you don't make your own resolutions this year, I hope everyone can at least obtain #1 on my list.

Just think of Amanda and it shouldn't be too difficult, right?
              Spoiler:

Great and timely post, Kat! I was thinking the same thing about #1 - Amanda personifies it so well.

And, thanks so much for links to worthwhile organizations including Doctors Without Borders which reminded me of Amanda again. I remember her saying that if she had chosen science rather than drama to pursue after high-school, she may have eventually chosen medicine and could see herself traveling with a humanitarian group like DWB to provide aid to the needy.

Spoiler:
              I'm sure you didn't really mean Samanda as "vice", it was a typo. What you really meant was Samanda as "nice", eh?!

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                HAPPY NEW YEAR SAMANDA!

In lieu of Teal'c as the baby New Year, I did find this photo of some new Samandans to celebrate the New Year.

They've already been practicing their kicking, so they'll soon be ready to join the Emu Defense Force of Samanda.

"Peep, peep! We defend the Queen! Peep, peep!"

"And don't you forget it!"

Comment

While I was in London for AT2, I came across a list of UK charities which were somewhat innovative and covered a wide range of opportunities to "make a difference" ... so, for our friends in the UK, here is a worthwhile link.

I had picked up a yellow catalogue in a local bookshop which caught my eye. I browsed through and was quite impressed with the scope of charities represented. Good Gifts is a truly unique way to give a gift which can change a person, a community, on a global basis.

http://www.goodgifts.org/goodgifts/

Plus, don't forget the Hearing Dogs for Deaf People which is Amanda's special charity in the UK:

http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal View Post
                    Great and timely post, Kat! I was thinking the same thing about #1 - Amanda personifies it so well.

And, thanks so much for links to worthwhile organizations including Doctors Without Borders which reminded me of Amanda again. I remember her saying that if she had chosen science rather than drama to pursue after high-school, she may have eventually chosen medicine and could see herself traveling with a humanitarian group like DWB to provide aid to the needy.

Spoiler:
                    I'm sure you didn't really mean Samanda as "vice", it was a typo. What you really meant was Samanda as "nice", eh?!
                    Laf, too funny. Actually my original note said vice or addiction, but I somehow erased the or addiction part when I copied it over. So yeah, I guess you can say it was a typo of sort.

Comment

All right, I sent my bit to Kamil. Thanks to CG, Scifithinker, and Shimmeringstar for help with my terrible spelling and other issues. I appreciate the betas!

Ooober is next up!

My LJ

Comment

wheeee!!!!

i can't wait to read it.

ok, oobs is up, scifithinker you're on notice. you have a day or three before it's your turn.

OObs hon, when you're done, will you please make sure that scifithinker gets a copy of your part. and scifi, if you need any plot/writing help, feel free to ask. There are plenty of folks here that are happy to give you a hand

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia View Post
                          All right, I sent my bit to Kamil. Thanks to CG, Scifithinker, and Shimmeringstar for help with my terrible spelling and other issues. I appreciate the betas!

Ooober is next up!
                          Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          wheeee!!!!

i can't wait to read it.

ok, oobs is up, scifithinker you're on notice. you have a day or three before it's your turn.

OObs hon, when you're done, will you please make sure that scifithinker gets a copy of your part. and scifi, if you need any plot/writing help, feel free to ask. There are plenty of folks here that are happy to give you a hand
                          eep!

Okay I have a couple days to turn in my part right? I certainly don't want to slow the mo of the Samandan story train of thought!

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

couple of days sounds good.

I don't want to rush folks. Don't feel like there's a need to dash through it. but i also like the momentum we have going. Id' like folks to have a 'deadline' of a week or less. just so that we don't get stalled.

don't stress over it though. this is meant to be fun not a work assignment

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              couple of days sounds good.

I don't want to rush folks. Don't feel like there's a need to dash through it. but i also like the momentum we have going. Id' like folks to have a 'deadline' of a week or less. just so that we don't get stalled.

don't stress over it though. this is meant to be fun not a work assignment
                              Yup...and sweet!

I know...it is going to be fun. I just don't want to disappoint.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

you know, no matter the perception of skill, all you - or anyone - has to do is try.

That's what counts.

Whether you write 10 words or 1000. This'll be a gift for Amanda from the heart of everyone. and even if you don't write, folks in here that encourage those that do are contributing to it. Maybe if you don't want to write, you can beta a chapter for someone. Or even simple feedback is a wonderful thing. We have a lot of first time writers playing and taking a couple of seconds to say 'thanks' is a great thing.

This isn't any one person's story. It'll be from all of us, writers, readers and even cheer leaders

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X