Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coley
    The best moment regarding Pete was in Threads when Jacob was asking Sam "Didn't you need to meet Pete to go and sort flowers?" (for the wedding) in front of O'Neill. Amanda's expressions were priceless. Sam and Jacob's interaction was just superb and classic Stargate.

That sort of interaction is now absent because all close ties between the old team members seem to have been blown apart, as well as any back story and recurring characters thay shared screen time with have been taken away.

SciFi's plan to render the big 3 "Not Required" IMO
    You are spot on about this!

And I hope I'm not in trouble for sharing one of our GABIT moments - the Three Musketeers.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
      Hi Coley!

RE Season 3 Poll comments, folks can post them either on the Season 3 poll, or here. Discussion and pics are welcome! As for compiling them, I am collecting some of the comments and pics into a PDF file called 'Welcome to My Life'
      Thanks for the tip, Astro! I posted mine over at the S3 poll site.

Jckfan55, great post about the missing dialogue in the scene between Sam and Pete. I think you've made a strong point that we do not necessarily know the context of Sam's breakup speech. We seem to be coming in on the end of it. The writing did not do Sam or the whole arc justice.

Comment

About Whistler, it debuted this last Friday in the US on The N, according to TV Guide. When I saw that, I had no clue as to what channel The N was, but just found out today that it’s also known as Noggin. I get Noggin, but didn’t watch it this last Friday. If I remember, I'll try to watch it next time it's on. I scanned in 2 blurbs from TV Guide about the show, and my feeling is that it was probably a good thing that Amanda passed on it.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
          About Whistler, it debuted this last Friday in the US on The N, according to TV Guide. When I saw that, I had no clue as to what channel The N was, but just found out today that it’s also known as Noggin. I get Noggin, but didn’t watch it this last Friday. If I remember, I'll try to watch it next time it's on. I scanned in 2 blurbs from TV Guide about the show, and my feeling is that it was probably a good thing that Amanda passed on it.

NC
          Thanks, NC. The target audience doesn't seem like a demographic that AT would be aiming for ... but then again look where the new direction of Stargate is headed!

I'm glad she passed and stayed on with Stargate and I so hope that, when the time comes to move on, there is a really great opportunity to showcase her talent to a better market. It will come.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
            You are spot on about this!

And I hope I'm not in trouble for sharing one of our GABIT moments - the Three Musketeers.
            No I knew you'd get me back. The photo's not too scary!!

1speed always picks the most unfortunate photo's to share.....and gets in trouble

You not checked your email??

Comment

And I hope I'm not in trouble for sharing one of our GABIT moments - the Three Musketeers. [/QUOTE]

Please identify each of you. I have only met a few as I cannot afford to go to away conventions.

Joanne

Comment

For what it’s worth, here are my feelings on the Sam/Pete breakup in Threads. I didn’t think that she was leading him on; I think that she accepted his proposal, fully intending to marry the guy. He was fun, he treated her well, with the exception of that one morning-after hissy fit, and he wasn’t in the SGC. She could be a “girl” with him, and not have to worry about losing face in front of her military friends and colleagues. She could show her vulnerable side to him, and once he knew what she really did for a living, she could confide in him.

I think the problems began when Pete actually began planning the wedding, making a down payment on a house, etc., all the things a couple should do when they’re getting married. (I did think that the house thing was out of line. Why do some guys think that surprising a woman with a hugely personal item like a house or ring is a good idea? ) Sam was typically too busy to be as involved in those activities as she should have been, or may have been using work as an excuse to duck out of them. At this point, she was probably having some doubts about the wedding, but she’s so analytical that she might have blamed those doubts on normal second thoughts felt by many prospective brides and grooms. And she didn’t have anyone like Janet to confide in at this point.

Pete, most likely getting impatient, started up the whole process, and Sam must have felt it was spiraling out of control. Now it was getting real, and she finally realized that this wasn’t what she wanted right now. Who knows, maybe if there had been a longer engagement, it might have worked. Her experience with Jonas might have made her leery of controlling men. Not that I think Pete was controlling, just impatient and clueless about some things. But to Sam, it might have seemed that he was trying to run her life.

So when she broke it off, and said “Is that it?” I took it to mean that she thought he’d be more upset. What I didn’t like was the way that Pete’s answer to that question was allowed to shape the scene. His response, “What do you want? You want me to get down on my knees and beg?” left us with the impression that Sam was being egotistical and expected him to grovel at her feet. If he had answered differently, maybe people wouldn't have seen her question as callous.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  i think she did her best to keep them separate. not only to try and keep her private life private, but also to limit the awkwardness.
                  I agree.

I think it speaks volumes if you don't want your best friends around your boyfriend. Means something isn't right there, at least to me.

I always like the fics where Jack, Daniel, and Teal'c 'talk' to Pete. Especially when Teal'c 'talks' to Pete. Poor guy never knew what hit him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 61
                    Please identify each of you. I have only met a few as I cannot afford to go to away conventions.

Joanne[/QUOTE]

Okay there's The Royal Accountant - Coley, The Royal Court Jester - Chopin Gal and Assistant Security Guard - 1speed 4sam

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                      Hi Coley!

RE Season 3 Poll comments, folks can post them either on the Season 3 poll, or here. Discussion and pics are welcome! As for compiling them, I am collecting some of the comments and pics into a PDF file called 'Welcome to My Life'
                      Not sure if this one has been mentioned, but I was really impressed with AT's scenes with Carmen A. in Jolinar's Memories/Devil you know. She conveys strength and concern both. For example, I like the scene where she tells Jacob giving up is "unacceptable" and she doesn't want to have to explain this to his grandchildren. It's like she's willing him to live.

Comment

Originally posted by Coley

Joanne

Okay there's The Royal Accountant - Coley, The Royal Court Jester - Chopin Gal and Assistant Security Guard - 1speed 4sam

Of course, the oldest and the wisest is in the middle ... age does have some allowances.

The two youngsters kept me on my toes though. Er, was it the other way around?!

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                          Not sure if this one has been mentioned, but I was really impressed with AT's scenes with Carmen A. in Jolinar's Memories/Devil you know. She conveys strength and concern both. For example, I like the scene where she tells Jacob giving up is "unacceptable" and she doesn't want to have to explain this to his grandchildren. It's like she's willing him to live.
                          I always like the "tough love" of that response and the terrific acting too!

Comment

For what it’s worth, here are my feelings on the Sam/Pete breakup in Threads. I didn’t think that she was leading him on; I think that she accepted his proposal, fully intending to marry the guy. He was fun, he treated her well, with the exception of that one morning-after hissy fit, and he wasn’t in the SGC. She could be a “girl” with him, and not have to worry about losing face in front of her military friends and colleagues. She could show her vulnerable side to him, and once he knew what she really did for a living, she could confide in him.

I think the problems began when Pete actually began planning the wedding, making a down payment on a house, etc., all the things a couple should do when they’re getting married.
                            I agree
                            So when she broke it off, and said “Is that it?” I took it to mean that she thought he’d be more upset. What I didn’t like was the way that Pete’s answer to that question was allowed to shape the scene. His response, “What do you want? You want me to get down on my knees and beg?” left us with the impression that Sam was being egotistical and expected him to grovel at her feet. If he had answered differently, maybe people wouldn't have seen her question as callous.

NC
                            Good point. Just really poorly dealt with by the writers. AT did what she could with it, as always.

Comment

I think the problems began when Pete actually began planning the wedding, making a down payment on a house, etc., all the things a couple should do when they’re getting married. (I did think that the house thing was out of line. Why do some guys think that surprising a woman with a hugely personal item like a house or ring is a good idea? ) Sam was typically too busy to be as involved in those activities as she should have been, or may have been using work as an excuse to duck out of them. At this point, she was probably having some doubts about the wedding, but she’s so analytical that she might have blamed those doubts on normal second thoughts felt by many prospective brides and grooms. And she didn’t have anyone like Janet to confide in at this point.

Pete, most likely getting impatient, started up the whole process, and Sam must have felt it was spiraling out of control. Now it was getting real, and she finally realized that this wasn’t what she wanted right now. Who knows, maybe if there had been a longer engagement, it might have worked. Her experience with Jonas might have made her leery of controlling men. Not that I think Pete was controlling, just impatient and clueless about some things. But to Sam, it might have seemed that he was trying to run her life.

NC
                              Another excellent observation! Yes, the dialogue did not do her or the scene justice.

Comment

For what it’s worth, here are my feelings on the Sam/Pete breakup in Threads. I didn’t think that she was leading him on
                                I felt she did lead him on-though not intentionly. I think she loved him, but wasn't in love with him. Cliche I know. In her heart, she never loved him like he loved her, and maybe she didn't realize that at first b/c she wanted that relationship to work so badly. I don't think she ever intended to marry him, and I agree that it all spun out of control.

Pete's answer was pretty harsh. I never thought Sam was being callous or egotistical. I just figured he didn't say much and she was surprised he was letting go so easily. But I think the man knew it was too good to be true and suspected something like that was coming. Maybe Sam was unaware of that and she was just shocked that the man who'd basically been drooling over her for over a year let her go without a fight.

Comment

Working...
                                X