No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't green you kat... but awesome work.. and nice confirmation on something many of us suspected, they've shot the AF advisor and hidden his body in the props cupboard!

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    Sam

According to Entity, Sam was born in 1968 or 1969 which makes her either 38 or 39 years old in 2006. However, Entity states that she was born in December while Ascension suggests that she was born in May. While the month that Sam was born really is not a huge issue, it does alter when she was allowed to join the Air Force Academy.

Air ForceAcademy Requirements state that:
    • All candidates must be at least 17, but less than 23 years of age by July 1 of the year they would enter. The age requirement is public law and cannot be waived.
    So if Sam were born in May 1968, then she would have been eligible to enter the AirForceAcademy in 1985; however, if she was born in December 1968 then Sam would not have been eligible to join the Air Force Academy until fall of 1986, the same year as the Challenger accident. So Sam could have joined the Academy in 1985 or 1986 and graduated in 1989 or 1990. The evidence is unclear due to the fact that we do not know what month she was truly born.

We also know from CoTG, that Sam clocked more than 100 hours in enemy airspace during the Gulf War, which took place between August 2, 1990 and July 31, 1991and has flown an F-16 (CoTG).

Many have speculated whether or not Sam could have obtained her flight training between the time she graduated from the Academy and the time she supposedly flew in the Gulf War.

According to a website I found, all Air Force pilot candidates begin their flying training with introductory flight training (IFT). Civilian flight instructors at fixed base operations around the country conduct this training in aircraft such as the Cessna 152. Students receive 50 hours of instruction and must qualify for their private pilot certificate to successfully complete the program. I’m not positive, but I believe Sam could have obtained this training during her time at the Academy.

The next step in the process is joint specialized undergraduate pilot training, which prepares student pilots for the full spectrum of aircraft and flying missions. This training takes approximately 52 weeks to complete.

In order to have flown an F-16 aircraft in the Gulf War, Sam would have to have completed Phase 3 - Advanced Aircraft Trainingon the T-38 Talon - Fighter / Bomber Track as each type of aircraft requires a different type of training.

Now if Sam did in fact graduate from the Academy in 1989, then it is quite possible for Sam to have received the necessary flight training in order to fly solo during the Gulf War. However, this still does not explain why she does not have her wings as all pilots who complete this training receive their silver wings.

For more information about Undergraduate Pilot Training

Sam later spent two years at the Pentagon working on the Stargate Project before Daniel got the Stargate to work the first time. (CoTG, Secrets). According to CoTG, Daniel got the gate working in 1996; therefore, Sam would have been working at the Pentagon from 1994-1996. After the first Abydos mission, she researched alternative applications for the gate, including time travel (1969), which we can assume was from 1996-1997 before Sam was transferred back to the Stargate project.

Promotion Min. Time In Service/Grade

Rank 02 TOS 2yrs TIG 2yrs
    Rank 03 TOS 4yrs TIG 2yrs
    Rank 04 TOS 9-11yrs TIG 3yrs
    Rank 05 TOS 15-17yrs TIG 3yrs
    Rank 06 TOS 21-23yrs TIG 3yrs

In 1997, Sam was a Captain in the USAF

If Sam graduated from the Academy in June 1989, then the…
    · Minimum TIS for First Lieutenant would have been June 1991.
    · Minimum TIS for Captain would have been June 1993.
    In 1999, she was promoted to the rank of Major.
    She must have joined the Air Force no later than 1989, as she had to have been in the AF for at least ten years to make Major, which she was promoted to in 1999. She has also received the AF Longevity Ribbon, which is given for four years of service, with a bronze star, which represents the second awarding -- so she's been in more than eight years, but less than twelve, as of FairGame [1999]).
    In 2004, she was promoted to the rank of Lt. Colonel.
    She must have fifteen years TIS in order to be promoted to the rank of Lt. Colonel.
    According to the promotion information I found, Sam would not be eligible for the rank of Colonel until the year 2010; however, these requirements can often be overlooked by the promotion committee if the candidate is deemed worthy of early promotion and she will have had three years time in grade as of July 2007.

According to (Collateral Damage) Mitchell was no more than ten years old during the first Space Shuttle Flight in 1981, which would make him 35 years old.

If Mitchell was indeed born in 1971,

· He could not have entered the Academy before 1988.
    · He could not have enlisted in the AF until 1988.

If he chose to go the Academy route,
    · He would not have graduated until 1992.
    · Minimum TIS for First Lieutenant … 1994.
    · Minimum TIS for Captain… 1996
    · Minimum TIS for Major … 2002.
    · Minimum TIS for Lt. Colonel… 2007
    · Minimum TIS for Colonel … 2012

Therefore it’s unlikely that Mitchell graduated from the Academy.

If he were already a college graduate, he could have become an officer after enlisting into the AF and going through OTS(OfficerTraining School). He would have enlisted into the AF at the rank of Staff Sergeant and been commissioned as a Second Lieutenant after completion of the twelve week training program.

So if Mitchell graduated from high school like most people at the age of 16 or 17 year’s old and it took him four years to complete his Bachelor’s degree, then one would assume that he did not enlist into the USAF until 1992, which would again have made it very unlikely for him to have attained his current rank of Lt. Colonel by the battle over Antarctica in 2003.

Hmm, yeah I'm just not seeing how this all adds up, but I according to my little calculations(if they are correct) Sam will be eligible for the rank of Colonel two years before Mitchell.
    sigpic

Comment

I have a small question which I'm sure has been asked before but I don't know where to find the answer. Is AT/Sam Carter left or right handed? Thanks!
      "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
        Erm.... mutter... shuffle...shuffle... papers falling on floor... Achoo! Dust flies in air.... where is that index post...?.... I know it's around here somewhere... Ah HA! Daniel might be needed to decipher the Ancient script and language, however... 'A Brief Look into a little Samandan History'... and don't drop the tablet that the post is etched on... it might hold the clues to the downfall of the Ori and other such troublesome occurences galaxywide
        ROTFLOL Ah yes, we royal elders are good for something ... thanks a lot! I think you're a walking compendium of Stargate knowledge!

Comment

Sam

According to Entity, Sam was born in 1968 or 1969 which makes her either 38 or 39 years old in 2006. However, Entity states that she was born in December while Ascension suggests that she was born in May. While the month that Sam was born really is not a huge issue, it does alter when she was allowed to join the Air Force Academy.

Air ForceAcademy Requirements state that:
          • All candidates must be at least 17, but less than 23 years of age by July 1 of the year they would enter. The age requirement is public law and cannot be waived.
          So if Sam were born in May 1968, then she would have been eligible to enter the AirForceAcademy in 1985; however, if she was born in December 1968 then Sam would not have been eligible to join the Air Force Academy until fall of 1986, the same year as the Challenger accident. So Sam could have joined the Academy in 1985 or 1986 and graduated in 1989 or 1990. The evidence is unclear due to the fact that we do not know what month she was truly born.

We also know from CoTG, that Sam clocked more than 100 hours in enemy airspace during the Gulf War, which took place between August 2, 1990 and July 31, 1991and has flown an F-16 (CoTG).

Many have speculated whether or not Sam could have obtained her flight training between the time she graduated from the Academy and the time she supposedly flew in the Gulf War.

According to a website I found, all Air Force pilot candidates begin their flying training with introductory flight training (IFT). Civilian flight instructors at fixed base operations around the country conduct this training in aircraft such as the Cessna 152. Students receive 50 hours of instruction and must qualify for their private pilot certificate to successfully complete the program. I’m not positive, but I believe Sam could have obtained this training during her time at the Academy.

The next step in the process is joint specialized undergraduate pilot training, which prepares student pilots for the full spectrum of aircraft and flying missions. This training takes approximately 52 weeks to complete.

In order to have flown an F-16 aircraft in the Gulf War, Sam would have to have completed Phase 3 - Advanced Aircraft Trainingon the T-38 Talon - Fighter / Bomber Track as each type of aircraft requires a different type of training.

Now if Sam did in fact graduate from the Academy in 1989, then it is quite possible for Sam to have received the necessary flight training in order to fly solo during the Gulf War. However, this still does not explain why she does not have her wings as all pilots who complete this training receive their silver wings.

For more information about Undergraduate Pilot Training

Sam later spent two years at the Pentagon working on the Stargate Project before Daniel got the Stargate to work the first time. (CoTG, Secrets). According to CoTG, Daniel got the gate working in 1996; therefore, Sam would have been working at the Pentagon from 1994-1996. After the first Abydos mission, she researched alternative applications for the gate, including time travel (1969), which we can assume was from 1996-1997 before Sam was transferred back to the Stargate project. There is also three years here where we do not know what Sam was doing and during this time it could have been quite possible for Sam to have been working on her PHD; however, I have my own speculations that being a child genius Sam had already obtained her Master's degree before entering the Academy and was working on her PHD during those four years...but I won't go into that right now.

Promotion Min. Time In Service/Grade

Rank 02 TOS 2yrs TIG 2yrs
          Rank 03 TOS 4yrs TIG 2yrs
          Rank 04 TOS 9-11yrs TIG 3yrs
          Rank 05 TOS 15-17yrs TIG 3yrs
          Rank 06 TOS 21-23yrs TIG 3yrs

In 1997, Sam was a Captain in the USAF

If Sam graduated from the Academy in June 1989, then the…
          · Minimum TIS for First Lieutenant would have been June 1991.
          · Minimum TIS for Captain would have been June 1993.
          In 1999, she was promoted to the rank of Major.
          She must have joined the Air Force no later than 1989, as she had to have been in the AF for at least ten years to make Major, which she was promoted to in 1999. She has also received the AF Longevity Ribbon, which is given for four years of service, with a bronze star, which represents the second awarding -- so she's been in more than eight years, but less than twelve, as of FairGame [1999]).
          In 2004, she was promoted to the rank of Lt. Colonel.
          She must have fifteen years TIS in order to be promoted to the rank of Lt. Colonel.
          According to the promotion information I found, Sam would not be eligible for the rank of Colonel until the year 2010; however, these requirements can often be overlooked by the promotion committee if the candidate is deemed worthy of early promotion and she will have had three years time in grade as of July 2007.

According to (Collateral Damage) Mitchell was no more than ten years old during the first Space Shuttle Flight in 1981, which would make him 35 years old.

If Mitchell was indeed born in 1971,

· He could not have entered the Academy before 1988.
          · He could not have enlisted in the AF until 1988.

If he chose to go the Academy route,
          · He would not have graduated until 1992.
          · Minimum TIS for First Lieutenant … 1994.
          · Minimum TIS for Captain… 1996
          · Minimum TIS for Major … 2002.
          · Minimum TIS for Lt. Colonel… 2007
          · Minimum TIS for Colonel … 2012

Therefore it’s unlikely that Mitchell graduated from the Academy.

If he were already a college graduate, he could have become an officer after enlisting into the AF and going through OTS(OfficerTraining School). He would have enlisted into the AF at the rank of Staff Sergeant and been commissioned as a Second Lieutenant after completion of the twelve week training program.

So if Mitchell graduated from high school like most people at the age of 16 or 17 year’s old and it took him four years to complete his Bachelor’s degree, then one would assume that he did not enlist into the USAF until 1992, which would again have made it very unlikely for him to have attained his current rank of Lt. Colonel by the battle over Antarctica in 2003.

Hmm, yeah I'm just not seeing how this all adds up, but I according to my little calculations(if they are correct) Sam will be eligible for the rank of Colonel two years before Mitchell.
          This is a Samtastic bit of research!! Thanks so much, Kat! Looks like Carter has seniority over Mitchell but, as someone's already mentioned, they've neutralized the AF advisor on set ages ago.

I guess that's why they had to give Cam the CMOH ... to make him stand out from the crowd and become the true leader. Yeah, he stands out alright ... for all the wrong reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
            those two have been plastering every thread on the board with that thing. must be good. still haven't read it yet though. (what can i say, i'm a rebel.)
            It's fantastic. Just a really, really sweet fic.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
              - question for samanda -

what was the first thing that grabbed you about sam carter? it can be the first ep, first scene; whatever it was that made you start falling for this character.

my answer: i liked her from the get go/first ep, but i knew she was moving towards my fave character when, in the second ep, kawalski grabbed her and was dragging her down the hallway... i really got excited by that. sam in trouble, sam in danger!

the third ep, though (emancipation) is what made sam carter officially become my fave character. (and broca divide, fourth ep, i officially became an s/j shipper).

'emancipation' showed me the soldier sam. she was tough and could kick butt! sam was put in a bad situation that highlighted what she 'didn't' want highlighted (that she was a woman first and only), but she never backed down and showed the idiot mongol leader a thing or two.

i became a BIG sam fan that day. when did you?

sally
              I liked Sam all along, but the character didn't really grab me until Singularity. The way she was with Cassie, how we saw past the military exterior, how she willing to risk everything for her and the depth of emotion that it brought out. That was my WOW! moment for Sam.
              sigpic

Comment

it jsut goes to prove...why is cam the boss????

cause he's a man

fantastic job on the research kat
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                  Fly-by post!

Here's an odd article I noticed this afternoon. It's OT, but it is about Skiffy, so I thought you might be interested.....

http://tv.zap2it.com/custom/comcast/comcast_index/1,1304,101272|1,00.html
                  Especially loved this part:

"Because when you think of pro wrestling, you think of the Sci Fi Channel."

I mean, I know that I do. After all, pro-wrestling is so cerebral. I mean where do you think Sam got all those moves to fight Turghan? Obviously it was by watching pro-wrestling. Where else? How nice of Skiffy to give the rest of us the opportunity to learn what Sam knows.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                    it jsut goes to prove...why is cam the boss????

cause he's a man

fantastic job on the research kat
                    Yes, awesome!
                    Cam being the boss is just soooooooo wrong... on a lot of levels.

Originally posted by ForeverSG1
                    So that does mean Sam should have command of SG1 right?!?

Comment

I guess I'm a bit different than most in that I loved the Stargate movie. I have always enjoyed Science Fiction and Fantasy and I have always been intrigued with Egyptian mythos so the idea of having a show that gave me the scientific aspects of a SciFi show as well as the mythology was a instant draw. Although I didn't really care for the character of Jack in the movie...he was much too hard and humorless for me, I simply adored the Daniel Jackson character. So when I heard Showtime was creating a series based upon the movie I jumped for joy. Then to make things even sweeter, I found out that RDA was going to star in the show. What can I say, he was one of my teen crushes back when he was on General Hospital.
                      You're not alone. I'll pretty much give anything SciFi a chance. I loved the Stargate Movie for pretty much the same reasons you did. And while I never really got into MacGyver, I loved Rick in GH as Jeff Webber. But no one character/actor brought me to the show, I was just really excited that they were going to take a movie that I really liked and make it into a series.

But the Sam character, as well as the whole team feel is what kept me watching.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                        This is a Samtastic bit of research!! Thanks so much, Kat! Looks like Carter has seniority over Mitchell but, as someone's already mentioned, they've neutralized the AF advisor on set ages ago.

I guess that's why they had to give Cam the CMOH ... to make him stand out from the crowd and become the true leader. Yeah, he stands out alright ... for all the wrong reasons.
                        Thanks I actually enjoy reading all this stuff. I may be interpreting some of it incorrectly as I'm definitely a layman regarding these things, but I try to look at several different websites so that I am not just assuming one site has the correct information. I forgot to credit Arduinna's Stargate Handbook for some of my background history of Sam. She's done a great job of putting a lot of this information together in one place where it can be easily accessed.

My next goal is to find a good photo of Mitchell's ribbons so I can determine which ones he has recieved and if he would have been eligible to truly recieve them all. But I haven't had much luck finding a hi-res photo.
                        Last edited by ForeverSg1; 02 June 2006, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Thanks I actually enjoy reading all this stuff. I may be interpreting some of it incorrect as I'm definitely a layman regarding these things, but I try to look at several different websites so that I am not just assuming one site has the correct information. I forgot to credit Arduinna's Stargate Handbook for some of my background history of Sam. She's done a great job of putting a lot of this information together in one place where it can be easily accessed.

My next goal is to find a good photo of Mitchell's ribbons so I can determine which ones he has recieved and if he would have been eligible to truly recieve them all. But I haven't had much luck finding a hi-res photo.
                          Did you try the cap from the first episode (I have no idea of the names of S9 episodes) the one where he is caressing the gate
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Hi, Samandgang; just popping in to see who's talkin' bout what. Wish I had more time to play but work's kee-razzy busy, these days.

I just wanted to mention that Sam may not have flown that F-16 during the Gulf war. Kawalski asked if she'd ever pulled out of a simulated dive in an f-16, so it may have happened early in her piolot training - second year, maybe?

Just trying to help nail down the whole chronology thing.

Dang! Gotta go.... Bye
                            Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                            "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                            One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                            resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                            confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                            A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                            The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db
                              I have a small question which I'm sure has been asked before but I don't know where to find the answer. Is AT/Sam Carter left or right handed? Thanks!
                              In "Singularity", she uses her right hand to paint.

Yay, my 2,000th post. Ironically, it's also exacty three months since my first post (I joined months before I actually posted anything).

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                                I'll never have this problem.

Chubby Cheeks
                                Hehehe... Ditto.

Comment

Working...
                                X