Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deejay435
    In Unnatural Selection, did they show Fifth with his hand in Sam's head-when she volunteered to go through the whole Replicator Mind Meld thing? If so, does anyone have a screencap?
    I could be wrong, but I don't think they did... I think it was just implied. But what about the times in New Order? Those were great shots.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
      I could be wrong, but I don't think they did... I think it was just implied. But what about the times in New Order? Those were great shots.
      I needed for the volunteering to place herself in that position aspect of it, for a new sig I'm doing.

I'll have to keep looking for something appropriately 'putting herself in the line of fire' pic.

Comment

I really enjoyed the Stargate Movie - but the thing i liked about it the most was the premise of Stargate - not the Characters jack and daniel (at least not yet). But i didn't know SG1 even existed till when Season 5 was showing in australia. I was channel surfing and and quickly realised it was Stargate - the episode was the fifth man, then i saw John DeLancie (big Trekkie here) and kept watching. I think all of the SG1 characters were highlighted so well in that episode; espeically considering it was my first one. Sam instantly became my favourite because she refused to surrender her weapons to Hammond and the guys followed whatever she did. and her Interrigation with simmons - which still remains one of my favourite scences in the series, She was so cool and sassy, she was awesome. I really liked how this episode demonstrated how much SG1 cared about each other - it was a great starting point. Then a few months later SG1 started showing on foxtel (cable) from the beginning and i have been loving it ever since. I also found out that if i had been watching it from the beginning sam still would have been my favourite character - Emacipation would have made her my favourite from the start anyway

Last year i bought all 8 Season boxsets on dvd (all at the same time...poor bank account) aswell as SGA season 1. - i had them all on tape - but i wanted to know more about behind the scenes about the show and specifically Amanda - because this forum more specifically this thread is what made me bite the bullet and buy them all, and i didnt truly realise how awesome Amanda Tapping was until i got to this forum and saw the special features on the box sets.

Gateworld forums is what truly converted me from what i consider huge fan to diehard gater. This is also around the same time Stargate became my favourite show Taking over star trek.....My dad still hasn't forgiven me, he's a huge trekkie too! how about i use this forum and this thread as a defence...althought it probably wont work.

I have noticed that Scifi being my favourite genre - i tend like shows more if they have strong female characters that are written and acted well - none are played better than Amanda Tapping plays Carter. Still, I love DS9 (my second favourite show) - one of the reasons is because of Jadzia Dax and Kira. Both are extremely well written and acted. this is not the only reason why i love DS9 and SG1 so much but that plays a large role. The main reason why i look forward to Battlestar galactica is becuase of Starbuck - though honestly i dont think that BSG is anywhere near SG1 and DS9 - i would probably not have kept watching if it wasn't for Starbuck..

Here is a question for you, is it weird for an guy about 20 to not like a show if it does not have strong female characters, and if it does to like it more than the rest - does this make me - not sure of the term, not feminist but equalist i think? is this way of think the norm for a male or not, and do other guys on this thread think the same way as me?

Comment

In New Order she was just stunning all the way through. No idea what it is about those 2 eps, but [drool].

And what grabbed me about Carter was Grace.. that was the ep that fully got me into SG. Amanda carried that 43.5 (or whatever) minutes beautifully and it caught my attention big time. The complexity of the character, the strength, the whumping, the very "realness" of her and the sci-fi blend.. it was quite irresistable.

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
          sigpic

Comment

I'll have to keep looking for something appropriately 'putting herself in the line of fire' pic.
            well i don't know if it is that what you are looking for but... maybe a pic when she is looking after Cassie in the bacement in singularity? (it is not exactly what you looking for I guess)

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje
              well i don't know if it is that what you are looking for but... maybe a pic when she is looking after Cassie in the bacement in singularity? (it is not exactly what you looking for I guess)

Not exactly, but I bet that scene would make a good sig too.

But it's okay, I found some caps to use. I'm using the memory device scenes from Jolinar's Memories/The Devil You Know.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
                Sam's just awesome. There's something about her that draws people to her. I don't think anything can quite describe her. I tried with a poem, but I don't think that does her justice. SAM. IS. JUST. AWESOME. Period.
                Believe me, your poem captured quite a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by THE BIG UNIT
                  ... i didn't know SG1 even existed till when Season 5 was showing in australia. I was channel surfing and and quickly realised it was Stargate - the episode was the fifth man, then i saw John DeLancie (big Trekkie here) and kept watching. I think all of the SG1 characters were highlighted so well in that episode; espeically considering it was my first one. Sam instantly became my favourite because she refused to surrender her weapons to Hammond and the guys followed whatever she did. and her Interrigation with simmons - which still remains one of my favourite scences in the series, She was so cool and sassy, she was awesome. I really liked how this episode demonstrated how much SG1 cared about each other - it was a great starting point.

... I have noticed that Scifi being my favourite genre - i tend to like shows more if they have strong female characters that are written and acted well - none are played better than Amanda Tapping plays Carter. ... The main reason why i look forward to Battlestar Galactica is because of Starbuck - though honestly i dont think that BSG is anywhere near SG1 and DS9 - i would probably not have kept watching if it wasn't for Starbuck..

Here is a question for you, is it weird for an guy about 20 to not like a show if it does not have strong female characters, and if it does to like it more than the rest - does this make me - not sure of the term, not feminist but equalist i think? is this way of thinking the norm for a male or not, and do other guys on this thread think the same way as me?
                  This is a great post. Unlike a certain Samandan security guard who was forcibly strapped into his chair for the very first viewing of Stargate (cough), this young man found himself freely choosing Sam Carter above the rest ... even though he still loved the team dynamic.

TBU, I love that you gravitate to "strong female characters" - this shows that your mum raised you well!! I think there are some men (all ages) who cannot handle an independent woman. You sound like you have a good sense of yourself and are comfortable in relationships with women who are strong, savvy and spunky (like Carter and Starbuck)! Good for you!

Er, on the other hand, you may just have a thing for chicks in leather and combat boots. Kidding, just kidding!

Comment

In Unnatural Selection, did they show Fifth with his hand in Sam's head-when she volunteered to go through the whole Replicator Mind Meld thing? If so, does anyone have a screencap?
                    Fifth didn't put his hand into Sam's head in Unnatural Selection. He simply placed his forehead next to hers.

Comment

Fifth didn't use the same method as the others....but here is the capture.

I think Spaz is right about the shot from New Order is more of what your after

sigpic

Comment

This is why I was looking for the cap earlier. I was going for a "Sam steps up and does what needs to be done, despite how horrible it might be" feel.

Did I get the feeling across?

Comment

Just an FYI - on the cover of next week's TV Guide regading the returning summer shows (delivered this week) is a small picture in the lower left-hand corner of AT and BB (cannot believe that it was not bb/cb pimping). There is nothing much inside about the show in the Guide's stories about returning summer shows except a very tiny blurb that says RDA is reprising his role as the ornery Jack O'Neill for several episodes. Can you say "desperate stunt casting"?

Comment

Originally posted by 1speed4Sam
                            If we ignore the fact that I happened to have been strapped to the Stargate Viewing Settee (tm) by Coley at the time, then what actually grabbed me first was the team dynamic - the camaraderie, the humour, the disagreements, the entire "Gang of Four" vibe.

But the more I watched, the more I simply became aware of Sam Carter. No particular ep, no particular scene, no particular event, just the excitement of watching a strong character who takes no BS from anybody and is perfectly capable of holding more than their own in all manner of situations, and against all the odds - that’s what really made an impression on me (well, that and the Grip-O-Matic restraints). Then add to that the joy of watching AT act her way through every second of every scene (the little looks, the little gestures), and I was hooked.

On a more visceral level, I have to admit there's a certain je ne sais pas about an attractive female in combats and big boots...
                            Sure, sure ... what grabbed you were the restraints on the chair ...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11.../JackStuck.jpg

What kept you was Chimera ...

Sorry, but I misread your last sentence up there, mate! I see now that you did cross your "t" and it wasn't the more graphic word I thought! (Coley's gonna kill me!)
                            Last edited by ChopinGal; 30 May 2006, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                              Just an FYI - on the cover of next week's TV Guide regading the returning summer shows (delivered this week) is a small picture in the lower left-hand corner of AT and BB (cannot believe that it was not bb/cb pimping). There is nothing much inside about the show in the Guide's stories about returning summer shows except a very tiny blurb that says RDA is reprising his role as the ornery Jack O'Neill for several episodes. Can you say "desperate stunt casting"?
                              Yeah... I'd say that stunt casting is definitely the case here, if the mag honestly has nothing else of substance to report. And I don't quite understand why they're already talking about the new season now, when the show doesn't even premiere until mid-July. Odd...

Cool that AT and BB are on the cover though.

Also, this is my 3400th post, and I wanted it to be here for once!
                              ETA: Do'h! 3401...
                              Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 30 May 2006, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                                Liz, I don't think you could have been any more eloquent than that. You know what? Those are the exact same reasons I was so drawn to the character, too. And Amanda tangentially. I've never really been a big "oo-er" or "Ahh-er" over actors before, but there's something about Amanda, something that just makes her seem so salt of the earth; so genuine, it makes me wish for an opportunity to meet her. She has a tremendous gift of spirit, and it somehow manages to touch folks all over the world.

The best part, is the part you outlined so well Liz - she doesn't take herself too seriously. I admire that so much, and I try very hard in my own life to look at things that way. If I can laugh at myself, no matter what happens in my day, then I can get up and face a new one in the morning.

Amanda's a great role model for that kind of "down-to-earth"-ness. She's not the only one, of course, but she's one of the keepers, and the industry is lucky to have her as such.
                                (So are we - by proxy !!)

mg
                                So well said, mini. And, just think! You are going to get to meet her! Amanda is the "real thing" in this age of false celebrity and form over substance. Her warm personality invites people in!

Comment

Working...
                                X