Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    The Powers That Be
    OR Poor Dorothy, the wizard's got a new shiny bling that has all of her forgotten super powers.
    Heh heh heh. Ah man.

How about...

Entity...
    Or The Computer Wore Combat Boots

Comment

Sig

but i have no snark. my muse is sporadic.
      sigpic
      "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
      Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
        Sig

That is amazing, and I agree whole-heartedly with the sentiment.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Sig

Niiiice, PR. Are those pics from various seasons?

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
            Niiiice, PR. Are those pics from various seasons?
            yeah. uhh...something, tanget, dk, something, 2001, covenant
            sigpic
            "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
            Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
              Yes, and I think Mandy was sort of saying that too. I don't think she disagrees (she can correct me if I'm wrong in saying that, but I don't think I am ). I don't think she disagrees with that at all, and from what she wrote, I think she actually made a really great point as well.

The automatic, immediate physical attraction is a part of the equasion (but perhaps a smaller part) than what really ends up becoming the primary attractive factor.

By that I mean, for a lot of women (including the amazingly intelligent, albeit fabulously fictitious Sam Carter), the primary attractive quality we look for in a partner stems from our ability to respect that person; to laugh with them (and occassionaly at them), and to have a meaningful dlalogue (verbal or non verbal ) with them.

Hence, women are often stereotyped as being "emotionally older" than men of the exact same age. I say stereotyped because it's absolutely not a universal truth. It is, however, a general status quo.

So women (in general) who find themselves attracted to a man, quite often find themselves attracted to an "older" man as a result. Whether that's 5 years or 15 years. As we grow older, the lines of "age" begin to blur a lot more. As in, they matter less and less.

What I got from what Mandy was saying, was that - while initially she saw an automatic social taboo (older man and a much younger women), she very quickly began to get to know the characters (as 'people'), and therein lay the REAL foundation for what the attraction between Sam and Jack is really about. Sam Carter is not about model-quality-gorgeousness in her guys (See: Pete Shanahan <ahem>); she is, however, all about the stuff beneath.

I'm not saying RDA (and by extension Jack O'Neill) isn't, to borrow a phrase from AD "Teh Hawt" , because he IS. Just as much as Sam is. But I am saying that from a female POV revolving around attraction, I think a lot of Jack's "sex appeal" does stem from his personality. Both the actor, and the character he plays.

That's what Mandy was (I think) trying to illustrate with her point, too. She didn't see it until she could feel it. Until she got to know the characters. And the same thing is (I think) very true for Sam Carter as well.

All the (so-called) initial "attraction" Carter felt for O'Neill - which some might argue was a "first sight" sort of thing - did stem from both her homework on his background (prior to meeting him) and the very telling tete-a-tete they had as a first conversation. The immedate attraction there (to my mind) was always far more firmly rooted in their personalities than it was in their physicalities. I think the physicality of it was there, and was probably amplified and multipled a few hundred times because of the emotional/interpersonal connection that sparked between. Which, of course, went on to grow into something a great deal more.

As an aside, I also think Jack's backstory (coupled with his SG-1 canon story) proves he's always been a sucker for smart women, too. He tends to find himself attracted to the kind of women who can stand up to him, or point out when he's being an idiot; and who'll have no compunction about calling him on it (see Sara, Kerry, Sam...).

That's one of the reasons I always rationalized his so-called loyalty to Laira in "100 Days" as being far more a product of his own internal guilt (for giving in and promising her something out of a need to find solid footing and move forward), than it ever was of his actual "love" for her. Jack doesn't make promises lightly, he feels things deeply, especially his own guilt (much like Sam again), and therefore tends to end up caring about the people near him - a lot more than he'd ever want to admit to. I'm saying he's got a heart as big as all outdoors locked up inside of him, and since Sam's pretty damn perceptive, I also think that's yet another reason she fell for him as hard as she did.

So, yeah.... that's Sam (with a side order of Jack) - to me.

minigeek
              Can't green you, so must quote you! One of the best posts I've ever read on the dynamics of age differences and the J/S relationship. Kudos!

You guys are using hyperdrive engines much too often ... can't keep up with the pages of posts!

Comment

Sig

We should make these kinds of sigs into postcards and send them to TPTB.

Comment

Sig

bugger it all, i can't green y a for that one!!!!!!

oh well, i'll catch ya later. magnificent sig

episode snarks

Death Knell - Sam's bad day
                  Grace - You're always on my mind
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Space Race or...
                    Mini-Anakin Ain't Got Nothin' on This Junk Heap

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                      Moebius I and II... or... Even A Geek Carter Is Cool.
                      totally.

Thank you for 10 years of Sam Carter, Amanda Tapping!
                      My LJ "I Live in a Sci-Fi World"
                      My Stargate (Mostly Sam Carter) Icons
                      My Stargate Videos
                      It's meant to be!

Comment

Sig

Geez I can't green ya either
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Moebius - Geeks Rule
                          Gemini - Two Sams, no waiting
                          Matter of Time - SAving the world, one pastery at a time
                          Need - Mine'd your own business
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Chimera... or... Well, She Had To Make A Mistake Eventually.

(Apologies to any Sam/Pete shippers, but I don't like the guy)

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Howdy all... I just wanted to throw a quick plug in here for a project I've been working on for the last couple of months.

Not sure how many of you have frequented The Amanda Tapping Club, but I've come on board with it and we've been working hard re-designing the site and restructuring to bring more Amanda fun to everyone.

So I'd like to invite you all to the re-launcch party and Amanda celebration weekend over at the AT Club... I'll even give you the official invite.. hope to see you guys there!!

Hi everyone !

We told you something exciting was happening at The Amanda Tapping Club! Well… The waiting is almost over !!

We still need to put on a few finishing touches here and there, but we’re set to re-launch The Amanda Tapping Club Website (www.theamandatappingclub.net) !!

This is your exclusive invitation to the “Official Relaunch Party” on Friday at 7pm GMT in our chatroom !

Then recover from the party with a weekend of “10 years of SG-Amanda” celebrations in our shiny new message board.

Be there.. or be somewhere else.. but there has waaayyy more Amanda fun!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                Moebius - Geeks Rule
                                Gemini - Two Sams, no waiting
                                Matter of Time - SAving the world, one pastery at a time
                                Need - Mine'd your own business
                                LOL
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X