Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
    Right. In a little experiment, I watched the adverts for Atlantis, and here are the results:

Ad Break One: Carol Vorderman's brain game (TV show), decking paint, poly filler, Asda (supermarket), baby oil, light reactive glasses, mobile phone network, Tristan and Isolde (film), convertable car, Sky Movies Easter advert,

Ad Break Two: Thief (new drama series), cereal bar (but did feature Bill Shatner), Tesco (supermarket), women's magazine, spreadable cheese, Tesco, sanitary towels, fish, Tesco, Sugar Free Mints

Ad Break Three: Vroom Vroom car show, Hitch the Date Doctor, washing up liquid, Tesco, Homebase sale (diy store), ice cream (very female orientated advert), SUV wehicle, Tesco, car Tyres and Exhausts, Tesco

So, I don't know about you guys, but I'd say that it was very much aimed at the 30 year old woman.
    sounds like it. but what time is it there?
    sigpic
    "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
    Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by TracyJane
      So, I don't know about you guys, but I'd say that it was very much aimed at the 30 year old woman.
      It's also across the pond (from us). Not only do you guys have a far larger fan base for SG-1, but your network(s) seem to know who you are, too. Unlike ours.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        hey, in noodling around the net i found this

http://www.medalofhonor.com/PappyBoyington.htm

anyone remember the show baa, baa black sheep??? Pappy Boyington??/ he won one. for shooting down 28 japanese planes and spending 20 months as a POW.

this site has a ton of info
        http://www.medalofhonor.com/

3409 people have gotten the medals, 19 of them twice. only 134 recipients are still alive (kinda tells you the honor of it all....most of them are given post-humously)

In their provisions for judging whether a man is entitled to the Medal of Honor, each of the armed services has set up regulations which permit no margin of doubt or error. The deed of the person must be proved by incontestable evidence of at least two eyewitnesses; it must be so outstanding that it clearly distinguishes his gallantry beyond the call of duty from lesser forms of bravery; it must involve the risk of his life; and it must be of the type of deed which, if he had not done it, would not subject him to any justified criticism.

and this line - taken out of context - just makes me laugh

At the behest of distant relatives, Members of Congress and President Carter contacted the Department of Defense on the matter.
        By the definition listed, I don't see Cam getting it. Maybe I missed something, but it wasn't like he single handedly kept SG1 alive in the antarctica battle. Now Jack could get the medal for willingly going into the "head sucker" in Lost City.

Comment

Originally posted by 1speed4Sam
          Jack: For crying out loud, Carter. Don't you think you're taking a tad too much notice of those "Samandans"? They're not real, you know, they're just fictitious characters from cyberspace...

ROTFL

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
            First of all, thanks Lys and Mandy for backing me up. The reason for it is that I'm pretty sure my French tutor (who is also a Stargate fan) occasionally lurks here on Samanda. He has referenced a few "in" jokes.

Sci Fi Girl... you think you've got it bad? I assume you're on a three year degree? I'm coming to the end of my four year degree. My essay writing has got to the stage where I'll research and write the essay the night/morning it's due in. The thing is that it's all about jumping through hoops. Just copy out what other people have written, reference it, link it up to make it look pretty and then ta-da you have yourself a 2:1. I still have a PGCE to do next year. I was going to do a masters in applied linguistic studies, but decided to wait a few years before doing a masters in applied linguistic studies for teaching purposes. Yes. I'm going to be in the education system for life. Long days, marking, detentions, sleepless nights and abuse from both homicidal teenagers and their parents... why am I going to do this? Because it's what I love, and it's what I've wanted to do since I was seven. I miss teaching so damn much.
            Aargh! La, la, la. I'm not listening. (Prof. jckfan sticks fingers in ears & covers eyes over this one.)

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
              By the definition listed, I don't see Cam getting it. Maybe I missed something, but it wasn't like he single handedly kept SG1 alive in the antarctica battle. Now Jack could get the medal for willingly going into the "head sucker" in Lost City.
              i'm not saying that cam doesn't deserve a medal. I think they're ALL under medal'd...but i do think that the CMOH is a bit OTT and smacks of a lack of research...and a lack of control on behalf of thier military advisor
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                My new theory is that Cameron didn't actually get the Congressional Medal of Honor - surely the President or the Head of the Air Force would present that.

Since he was so down in the dumps and wasn't making much headway in his recovery, Sam had a replica fashioned to give him a bit of a boost.

She's so sweet.
                Ha! I'm a Mitchell fan, but I thought this was cute.

Comment

This is supposedly my 500th post, but I think I lost a few that I don't know about. eh. In any case, as I have a 2nd chance, I'm posting here.

Sam Carter is great.

I'm doing some of the episode tourneys, and I have to decide which among Brief Candle, Bane, and A Hundred Days I dislike least, so I watched them all back-to-back. Oy. In order to find something positive in the exercise, I took Sam Carter notes.

Brief Candle. This was back when Carter was still somewhat 'rough around the edges' aka auto mechanic/flyboy. Frankly, I rather prefer that Carter over latter day depictions, esp. S7 Carter. The snap-at-Carter quotient was quite high in this ep, and I found myself wondering whether part of the reason I like Carter is because I tend to support the underdog. Dunno. First ep where Carter mentioned her nanotech experience at the Pentagon; kinda would have preferred that Fraiser was the one with more expertise, but I guess that's the difference between being a lead vs. supporting character, eh?

Bane. (Ever notice how often Fraiser was 'out of her league'? ) Was it Harlow with whom Carter did the nanotech work? I like when we see Carter's good working relations with people outside the SGC. Highlight of the ep: Carter swears!! Like, honest-to-goauld would-get-asterisked-out swearing! DEM-trivia: I didn't notice that Teal'c's buddy was Cassie Mark II until scarimor pointed it out to me.

A Hundred Days. Carter built a particle beam generator! Carter gave many orders! Janet brought Sam coffee!

Thus endeth my faux-500th post.

p.s. Ooooober, that manip was FAB!
                  Last edited by DEM; 12 April 2006, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                    i'm not saying that cam doesn't deserve a medal. I think they're ALL under medal'd...but i do think that the CMOH is a bit OTT and smacks of a lack of research...and a lack of control on behalf of thier military advisor
                    I wouldn't be opposed to *a* medal, but *the* medal* is a stretch. They could have presented him with the Air Medal, for example, which Sam and Jack got for saving earth at the end of season 1.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
                      sounds like it. but what time is it there?
                      It was shown at 8pm.
                      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Aargh! La, la, la. I'm not listening. (Prof. jckfan sticks fingers in ears & covers eyes over this one.)
                        You know (sorry Sky about the OT), I was chatting to one of my old tutors who asked me who my marks were overall, and I said, "Well, I'm getting 2:1s with no effort at all". I was about to add "yeah, I know, if I put in a little effort, then I guess I could get firsts" but she interrupted by saying "so why bother putting in the effort." She even suggested that I resubmit a first year project for the fourth year!!! I was shocked.

You say you're.... you're not my sneaky, Samanda-lurking French tutor, are you?
                        Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

I wouldn't be opposed to *a* medal, but *the* medal* is a stretch. They could have presented him with the Air Medal, for example, which Sam and Jack got for saving earth at the end of season 1.
                          That would have been more realistic.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                            Sam Carter is great.

Congratulations on your 500th post, DEM!

(I have to watch Bane asap. Cursing!Carter! )
                            scarimor

Comment

Exactly.

Jack and Sam got the Air Medal for destroying Apophis's and Klorel's ships. They saved the planet...going above and beyond yadda yadda...and they got the Air Medal for their efforts.

Seems to me that would have been an appropriate honor for Mitchell.

I keep going back to this: "...it must be so outstanding that it clearly distinguishes his gallantry beyond the call of duty from lesser forms of bravery; it must involve the risk of his life; and it must be of the type of deed which, if he had not done it, would not subject him to any justified criticism."

Now for Jack, that moment was the head sucker thingy in Lost City 1.

Has Sam had any moment that sticks out like this? Something that fits that criteria?

Discuss...or as Jack would say..."Talk amongst yourselves".
                              Last edited by Uber; 12 April 2006, 01:29 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Samandan assignment.

I'm looking for snarky subtitles for each SG-1 episode. Sam-themed preferred but if not, that's fine too.

For instance...

Children of the Gods...or...Sam Dives Headlong into the Puddle.

Okay ... that's not that snarky, but I'm rushin' (no, not Russian) to write this post.

So...ideas? Start a-postin' away.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Working...
                                X