Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChevronSeven
    Here's my whole analysis on the less usage of the Gate. I'm an accountant, so I'll be doing this numberwise:

+ Ben Browder salary
    + Beau Bridges salary
    + Lou Gossett's salary(he is a "named" actor)
    + Claudia Black's salary
    + CGI costs for Tidy Bowl ships, etc connected with Ori
    - RDA's salary
    - Gekko Productions dollars contributed

I think that Gekko's money no longer being invested can have something to do with them no longer showing the gate.
    I was just about to post that if they didn't have all the (unnecessary IMO) stars they could go through the gate as always. After all the show is Stargate SG1 - OR NOT!!!

Comment

This is very interseting discussion. But should it really be here on the Samanda thread? The Anti-Seaon 9 is almost dead and a lot of the stuff siad seems to belong in anti-season 10. <g> I know, I've been there. And feel very comfortable there.

I guess my point is would Amanda feel comfortable here now.

Suse
      re-lurking
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.
      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
        Good question. And the most honest answer at the moment is: I have no frelling idea what my reaction would have been. Depends on the size of those changes.
        It shouldn't be too hard to do. Just switch Claudia Black with Amanda Tapping, subtract four years, and add all of the variables that have contributed to season nine:

1.) Say Farscape had lasted a looooong time - nine years, in fact

2.) Say Claudia Black went on maternity leave just before the production of the ninth season

3.) Say Ben Browder, after years and years of working in the biz, decided to retire and spend time with his family

4.) Say Aeryn and the rest of the Farscape folks were all downsized for...

a.) Michael Shanks, as Sir Hottie Pants, who had superb chemistry with Rygel
        and
        b.) Amanda Tapping, as Blondie McPerfection, who found herself infringing a tad on Aeryn's territory...

5.) Say that, once Claudia Black made it back to the set, the show was already transformed into something completely different - both internally and externally

I could go on and on... They're big changes when you've taken the time and the energy to watch a show, its characters and the actors who play them for years. For someone like yourself, who has seen every episode of Farscape, it would probably seem quite ludicrous for someone like me (or Coley? ) coming onto the scene once MS and AT were on board, claiming that this was the absolute best for the show, hands down. The rest was always boring - the original actors' contributions, be damned.

Especially considering I have never seen an entire episode of the series.

Well, we don't know what really happened there. I believe there were talks during filming Crusade about season 10 and while Claudia was the one with whom Coop was working the most of the time, it's normal that she was asked first to join the cast for season 10.
        That doesn't quite fly. Cooper may have been working directly with Claudia Black the most at that point in time, but he'd been working with Amanda Tapping for several years. There's really no excuse for him not communicating with her in some capacity, before she heard on the grapevine that she was the only one who hadn't been contacted - if not as a professional (in which case, you would definitely expect communication), then at least as an acquaintance. There's really no ethical reason behind it, besides being too much of a weeny to address the issue directly, whatever it was at the time.

EDIT: Suse, I don't know if you're talking about this conversation or not, but I don't think that this is as "bad" as it's gotten in the past. I hope you don't re-lurk for too long!
        Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 29 March 2006, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          and what you personally find as boring, many of us found as interesting.

Stargate used to stand alone. IT was a a scifi show set in the present day. It had REAL people in it. It dealt with things in a very real way. These weren't 'we're one big happy universe' people from a 'the whole galaxy loves each other' trek universe.

These weren't people that live seenig aliens every day, or lasers or transporters. They were real people. who just happened to have a very cool and un-real job.

that was part of the appeal. It was so mundane in its setting that you could drive to colorado springs and belive that the SGC was really there.

but now? now it's become nothing more than a farscape/trek/b5 wanna be. where earth can crank out space ships in a moment's notice, the asgard are there to beam your tush to safety with a second's notice and these characters aren't using their oh so normal human intelligence to beat the bad guys, they're little more than puppets on endless quests to steal toys made by other advanced races to save themselves.

where's the humanity in that? Where's that pluckyness that was going to make us the fifth race? Being the fifth race is no longer some wonderful thing, it's apparantly something that's given to whomever finishes the intergalactic treasure hunt and collects the most toys

This new incarnation of Stargate is not the classic show. It's just a pale immitation brought to us by folks that think if they keep telling us how great it is long enough, we'll buy their song and dance. They can't/won't see that, in thier efforts to be like every other scifi show out there, they're destroying what made stargate stand out from the crowd.

I for one very much preferred the old and unique show, one that featured the round spinny thing and simple, normal folks doing thier best against impossible odds and incredible enemies.

Well Sky you have said this perfectly - just perfectly - thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
            And what about SONY now? Aren't they supporting both shows financially?
            I didn't count Sony because they're putting in probably the same $$ that MGM did before Sony bought them. Or they could be putting in more or putting in less. Budgets are tight in this day and age.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              and what you personally find as boring, many of us found as interesting.

Stargate used to stand alone. IT was a a scifi show set in the present day. It had REAL people in it. It dealt with things in a very real way. These weren't 'we're one big happy universe' people from a 'the whole galaxy loves each other' trek universe.

These weren't people that live seenig aliens every day, or lasers or transporters. They were real people. who just happened to have a very cool and un-real job.

that was part of the appeal. It was so mundane in its setting that you could drive to colorado springs and belive that the SGC was really there.

but now? now it's become nothing more than a farscape/trek/b5 wanna be. where earth can crank out space ships in a moment's notice, the asgard are there to beam your tush to safety with a second's notice and these characters aren't using their oh so normal human intelligence to beat the bad guys, they're little more than puppets on endless quests to steal toys made by other advanced races to save themselves.

where's the humanity in that? Where's that pluckyness that was going to make us the fifth race? Being the fifth race is no longer some wonderful thing, it's apparantly something that's given to whomever finishes the intergalactic treasure hunt and collects the most toys

This new incarnation of Stargate is not the classic show. It's just a pale immitation brought to us by folks that think if they keep telling us how great it is long enough, we'll buy their song and dance. They can't/won't see that, in thier efforts to be like every other scifi show out there, they're destroying what made stargate stand out from the crowd.

I for one very much preferred the old and unique show, one that featured the round spinny thing and simple, normal folks doing thier best against impossible odds and incredible enemies.
              Yay, round of applause for Sky!!!

Bearing in mind I’m still learning my way round the Wonderful World of Stargate SG-1 (I've just been Chimera’d, remember? I certainly do… ), this is exactly what appealed to me in the first place - the fact that the show was basically grounded in the here and now (erm, OK, with occasional jaunts into the past and the future). Sure it’s escapist fun, but on the whole it’s believable escapist fun, with a strong emphasis on teamwork and people looking out for (and caring for) each other, something which seems sadly lacking these days.

And then, of course, the joker in the pack - a strong female (leading) character in an otherwise male-dominated world. Yes, males who are able to handle such a strong female character (or maybe that should be “would like to handle… “, eh AD? ) do actually exist, and I for one would be hugely disappointed if the show lost that dynamic.

Finally, if there’s a “Bring Back the Round Spinny Thing” petition, where do I sign?

Comment

Hello, this is my first time here.

Just wanted to say that I personally think that Sam should of became the leader of SG-1 not Mitchell (who had no GATE experience)

That's my two pence worth.
                Janna Galaxy, Queen of The Gods
                The Strongest Will Survive!
                I'll Be The One To Save Us All!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                  I was just about to post that if they didn't have all the (unnecessary IMO) stars they could go through the gate as always. After all the show is Stargate SG1 - OR NOT!!!
                  Pity the stargate doesn't have an agent.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                    I wouldn't say vulgar or disgusting but I would say very immoral.
                    Have you read the quote from Claud's interview in my sig? She said that Vala HAS A MORAL COMPASS...

I have to disagree totally with the last paragraph. I would have expected Rob to tell Amanda first that there may be changes to her character. She has worked her butt off for the show for 8 years and her portrayal of Sam Carter has gone a long way in helping the show to become a success. It would not be natural for me to talk to a newcomer first. In the event everyone else had been asked to come back and had contracts - apart from Amanda. That is a disgrace in my opinion. Put yourself inAmanda's shoes!!
                    Take into consideration that this particular newcomer was quite heavily pregnant during filming this episode, feeling maybe not very well, so I guess Rob just wanted to be nice towards her and this was the reason for talking to her first. I agree though that everybody should have received contract at the same time.

Comment

I know where I'd be cutting some costs and replacing one or more of those names with a truly abused character of this show.... the gate.. see if you can guess which

Originally posted by ChevronSeven
                      Here's my whole analysis on the less usage of the Gate. I'm an accountant, so I'll be doing this numberwise:

+ Ben Browder salary
                      + Beau Bridges salary
                      + Lou Gossett's salary(he is a "named" actor)
                      + Claudia Black's salary
                      + CGI costs for Tidy Bowl ships, etc connected with Ori
                      - RDA's salary
                      - Gekko Productions dollars contributed

I think that Gekko's money no longer being invested can have something to do with them no longer showing the gate.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jannagalaxy
                        Just wanted to say that I personally think that Sam should of became the leader of SG-1 not Mitchell (who had no GATE experience)

That's my two pence worth.
                        I agree totally. Have you voted in the 'Who Should Lead SG-1'? thread?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

I might of done....I'm not sure.
                          Janna Galaxy, Queen of The Gods
                          The Strongest Will Survive!
                          I'll Be The One To Save Us All!

Comment

Sam: Funny... I don't remember kissing this one.
                            scarimor

Comment

ROFL! Scarimor! Now THAT's one of the Old School In-Jokes I really miss!!!
                              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Perhaps Smith's comments at the convention were in part to make up for this shoddy contract stuff. I mean when everyone else has a contract but you, including the new "flavor of the month", wouldn't you think "pink slip?" It was completely disrespectful and while there may have been "reasons" they don't *excuse* the behavior. This was probably a case of AT being too nice for her own good--"old reliable Amanda won't hold us up at the negotiating table, we can talk to her last." Grrr. Guess I just can't let go of this, can I?

Comment

Working...
                                X