Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Myrth
    It would seem they do need to be on the outside to be the lead on SG-1.

Or maybe your brain needs to be on the outside.... I haven't figured out which
    Well, there's a reason top grossing female film celebrities still gross less than their male counterparts. I think Julia Roberts and Cameron Diaz are still the current top female earners and even they won't make more than guys like Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, Jim Carrey, Mel Gibson (and lets not forget Adam Sandler who just broke a world record recently at something like 49 Mil). Gender equality is an idea, not nearly a reality in this world. And the problem is that most women these days have stopped waging the battle, because they (we) think it's already been won. Complacency and a desire to "not be too feminist" are seeing us hovering, no where near what true "fairness" would entail.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Thanks for the explanation there Golfbooy... I retract my earlier statement then and offer a sincere thanks to N. John Smith and a wink and a nod of approval, along with a sigh of relief that someone is showing her some respect and appreciation. In all fairness it's unlikely to be the boys at Bridge causing the issues for Amanda at all, but it is nice to know that some of them openly appreciate her all the same.

i still think it's more along the line of them getting caught in the middle....scilie telling them how things will be, them knowing how things should be but having to cave to the folks with the check book

still doesn't eradicate the 'issue' of poor/inferior writing, but i honestly think that 'cam must be the boss' is coming directly from scilie

Amanda has 'taken one for the team' on a consistent basis since season six, first filling in for RDA as his time decreased, then other little sacrifices and compromises
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
        Actually, N. John Smith is absolutely one of the biggest people involved with Stargate.
        i also have a soft spot for him because he authorized the studio tours one year that i went...so thanks to him, i got to sit in hammy's chair and stand on the ramp...so...i like the guy
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
          I said it there, and I'll say it again here...

Oh. My. God. LOL!!

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...69#post5089469

-
          Yeah, that's exactly why Richard Dean Anderson doesn't do conventions. Great god Apophis, doesn't Creation vet these people before they ask questions? At least after they go bonkers on the guests the first time?

Comment

In my ideal world it's not even a battle that needs to be fought. [sigh] I really liked Amanda's idea about what the world would look like if women were the dominant sex. I'd also be interested in what the world would look like if equality were a reality. Imagine what someone from that world would think of us... Anyone wanna fund a movie? I could give Amanda a job Lol...

I'd love to be the voice that made the world stop and think outside of their own little tunnels... but somehow I don't think it's quite loud enough.

Oooh and on topic.... Amanda is an example I'd love to point out to every person on this planet and say.. look.. this is someone worth listening to, she knows what it's about.

Well, there's a reason top grossing female film celebrities still gross less than their male counterparts. I think Julia Roberts and Cameron Diaz are still the current top female earners and even they won't make more than guys like Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, Jim Carrey, Mel Gibson (and lets not forget Adam Sandler who just broke a world record recently at something like 49 Mil). Gender equality is an idea, not nearly a reality in this world. And the problem is that most women these days have stopped waging the battle, because they (we) think it's already been won. Complacency and a desire to "not be too feminist" are seeing us hovering, no where near what true "fairness" would entail.
            sigpic

Comment

It's not sci-fi, but something like that Sky.. yeah...

As for the writing... frankly that's just unexplainable... the QA person must have been on Gekko's payroll...

Originally posted by Skydiver
              i still think it's more along the line of them getting caught in the middle....scilie telling them how things will be, them knowing how things should be but having to cave to the folks with the check book

still doesn't eradicate the 'issue' of poor/inferior writing, but i honestly think that 'cam must be the boss' is coming directly from scilie

Amanda has 'taken one for the team' on a consistent basis since season six, first filling in for RDA as his time decreased, then other little sacrifices and compromises
              sigpic

Comment

Well that's a waste of money

I think the only way they would listen to us (women) is if they cancelled thier subscriptions to SciFi, *scratching their heads* "Where did all our subscribers go"
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                  Well that's a waste of money

I think the only way they would listen to us (women) is if they cancelled thier subscriptions to SciFi, *scratching their heads* "Where did all our subscribers go"
                  We're all watching the "Amanda Tapping" show on Women's Television Network... LOL

Comment

Where do I sign up for that?

Meanwhile I'm just thinking... we can say the industry is sexist, but one woudl ask, isn't it up to the Julia Robertes and the Cameraon Diazes to push the point and make the demand for equality. I realise I'm not talking about the real world here, but in some ways all the girls underneath who'll do it cheaper undermine the rest. Makes it a difficult one to solve. You can have Julia demanding the same pay rate as Mel, but then Jennifer Lopez (example out of nowhere) can be bought for less money.

The root of all evil is actually money and the base human instinct of greed coupled with a "so what's in it for me" ideology.... god dammit... someone shut me up lol

We're all watching the "Amanda Tapping" show on Women's Television Network... LOL
                    sigpic

Comment

Where do I sign up for that?

Meanwhile I'm just thinking... we can say the industry is sexist, but one woudl ask, isn't it up to the Julia Robertes and the Cameraon Diazes to push the point and make the demand for equality. I realise I'm not talking about the real world here, but in some ways all the girls underneath who'll do it cheaper undermine the rest. Makes it a difficult one to solve. You can have Julia demanding the same pay rate as Mel, but then Jennifer Lopez (example out of nowhere) can be bought for less money.

The root of all evil is actually money and the base human instinct of greed coupled with a "so what's in it for me" ideology.... god dammit... someone shut me up lol
                      Never Myrth, you say it sooo well
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I'll be there, learning about wormhole physics
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                          I'll be there, learning about wormhole physics
                          No, that's Samantha Carter - see, Amanda Tapping is this actress who PLAYS Samantha Carter on TV, and... *owie* lol that hurt! (see, I can even anticipate my thwappings now!)

Comment

Hey Samandans - I've been back from the con since last night but had a busyish day (not too busy...I did manage a much needed 3 hour nap). I will share something I just posted on the "Looking for Vancouver con write-ups" (or something like that)...

I just have to say that John Smith nearly made Amanda cry on stage when he came out and said nothing but glowing things about her...so all is not lost on ALL of the producers. John Smith at least loves Amanda. He did say "we" (meaning the other producers) but some will debate that the others love her.

I had a fabulous time at the con and will eventually write up a report.

Chris has some compatition now though...after seeing Cliff Simon shirtless after getting Amanda's autograph...WHOA MOMMA!!!! fans self cause Cliff is a HOTTIE!!!

Anyhoo...Amanda is totally awesome, goofy and funny as frell!

THANKS AMANDA!!! Don't let Olivia hit you with that devil ducky! And I better not hear that you took it from her...you have your own.
                            sigpic
                            I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

No, that's Samantha Carter - see, Amanda Tapping is this actress who PLAYS Samantha Carter on TV, and... *owie* lol that hurt! (see, I can even anticipate my thwappings now!)
                              No more Wormhole X-treme for YOU missy.

Speaking of which.... Myrth, will you send me what you've done of that fic so far, please? I'll happily continue it, in between other projects.
                              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Ah but.. it could be argued that she's also the actress who plays Carter on tv whose spent 10 years teaching herself theoretical astrophysics to the sell the role.... so honestly, she probably could teach us wormhole physics 101

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X