Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by astrogeologist


    I think it's a combination of the actor and the writing.
    The writing has to give them the opportunities to shine and the chances to be seen as heroic, a positive role model, and yet friendly. And then the actor has to take advantage of the scenes (if they are written for their character).

    And then there was Sam Carter. Wow! Did they do a good job with her character or what?

    ... I was completely in awe of how well they wrote other scenes for this female scific lead. Singularity was simply fantastic. Seasons 2 and 3 were also wonderful - and I think what struck me was what chocdoc or deepspace said awhile back on our thread -- Sam was being treated as an equal amongst the scifi hero leads. She was getting 'equal screen time'... what seemed to be an equal amount of large heroic scenes... and, quite frankly, I was blown away and it put a great big grin on my face!

    Over the first three to four seasons, they developed the character and added depth and scifi to her character (e.g. Jolinar), and yet they allowed her to show her human side and her feelings (e.g. Secrets, The Tokra, Enigma, etc.). Overall they developed a fantastic character.

    And then there was AT - the actress who made it happen. Who took the lines and scenes as written and played them differently than I'd ever seen a female scifi lead play them. She didn't come across as the female who used her femininity to get what she needed from the guys - in fact, she was written and/or played as if she wasn't even aware of her effect on the guys most of the time - and that is definitely not something I was used to seeing in the female lead of any scifi show! And I love that shyness that AT gave to the character of Sam Carter. Shyness and humility and a lack of arrogance or obnoxious ego. She doesn't need to assert herself because she's comfortable with her own competence - she knows what she can do and she doesn't need to prove it every minute of the day.

    I was also extremely impressed that AT didn't play Sam Carter as an Ice Queen or a butch macho military woman. And I really think this is AT coming across on the screen - she just seems... 'nice'! And how cool is that? As someone said earlier - she seems like she'd make a great friend! In most scifi shows, or even cop/detective shows and such, the female leads often come across as a bit reserved or cold to me... like they've had to deal with the hard realities of life as a 'woman in a man's world' and there is a bit of hardness to their faces quite often (unless they turn on the sex appeal to get something)... but AT doesn't show that sort of face very often... she just looks like... a person... someone who could be a friend or relative. Somehow AT comes across as real to me on the screen. All I can do is applaud loudly for her accomplishments at something that very few are able to do.

    I honestly don't think that Sam Carter would be nearly the positive female lead that she is if someone other than AT had been cast to play her.

    Since participating in this thread, you have all shown me even more of the positive scenes, lines and aspects of the character of Sam Carter. I can't thank you all enough! This thread is fun and I have a greater appreciation for AT as an actress and for Sam Carter as a character.
    AstroG, give yourself some blue jello; I couldn't dish out the green today for this excellent summary of the blending of Sam and Amanda! (No, not quite the same as the blending of Sam and Jolinar! )

    Here was an actor who managed to interpret the character and incorporate her own self into the performance in such a way that we were hooked! And kudos to the writers who allowed her some room to shape Sam into her own image of what a professional woman in the military should look like. Add the fact that AT did immense amounts of homework on learning the scientific jargon and theories so that she could deliver her lines in a totally believable manner. In my mind, she went beyond the call of duty on that one and it added to the realism of the portrayal.

    You've written a wonderful observation on a skilled performer who invites us in, each season, to watch her grow even more human and believable ... and keeps us rooting for her as she struggles with her own flaws and limits.

    You name it well: Sam's nice, she's the kid sister, the college roomie, the colleague in the workplace ... she's Everywoman to every woman. And Amanda's own personality is a big part of that for sure.

    I'm thinking back to an old article that mentions that TPTB weren't quite sold on AT and reluctantly cast her. After the first few episodes, though, they had changed their minds. I give Amanda credit for being gutsy enough (once she had a contract) to play Sam without falling into the stereotypes you mention above. And I agree wholeheartedly with you: no other actor could have filled those combat boots as well!
    Last edited by ChopinGal; 14 March 2005, 12:04 PM.

    Comment


      Absolutely phenomenal post, astrog! You've pretty much summed up this entire thread in one swoop. You've expressed much of what I've felt as a long time sci-fi viewer. Sam is such a wonderful rarity in all of television, not just scifi, as you so eloquently explained.

      NC

      Comment


        AgentDark: Just popped in to lol at everyone's posts this morning (well morning over where I am)
        Morning here too. Hey, you’re an aussie too! I only just realised.

        NC: Here's a new game, and I fear this first round will be far too easy for you knowledgeable Samandans.
        Guess the episode associated with the clip. Hint: these are all from the first season.
        Ok, I know everyone has probably played this already, but I’m going to have a go at guessing before I read other people’s answers.

        clip 1 Emancipation=sam dressed in that ghastly blue fancy dress thingy.

        clip 2 Children of the Gods=sam getting enthusiastic over the DHD at Abydos.

        clip 3 Hathor=sam and janet behind bars

        clip 4 Emancipation=sam annoyed that she doesn’t get to do what the guys get to do

        clip 5 Solitudes=jack after sam has been squashing his broken ribs

        clip 6 Hathor=sam and janet behind bars

        ...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

        HIC COMITAS REGIT!

        Comment


          Astrogeologist, I want to give you jello!!! Lots of jello. That was a superb post!

          GREEN JELLO
          BLUE JELLO
          ORANGE JELLO
          ! ! !

          ...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

          HIC COMITAS REGIT!

          Comment


            Earlier in this thread our Jester mentioned that her birthday was in March.
            So after a little digging in the gateworld calendar, listed under the 15th of March, which is today (according to aussie time at least)...

            HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHOPINGAL!

            ...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

            HIC COMITAS REGIT!

            Comment


              Seeing as everyone is inventing new games, I was wondering if anyone would like to "continue the story". I have written a short start. It's not particularly good or funny, but I'm hoping you guys can bring that into it.

              THE LOST ELDER
              A story of the city of Samanda

              Majorsam was sitting in the great hall of Samanda by herself, bored. She had just decided to go to the fridge and get some jello when the large double doors of the Samandan court burst open. It was the royal Page, panting and flapping a piece of paper around in the air.
              “Madam President, we have a matter of utmost importance. A message for you from, um, well, a system lord. No name specified. He claims he has captured our Wise Elder, Nearly Circular.”
              “Let’s see”, said Majorsam taking the paper. It had a wax seal on it, imprinted with a symbol of an atom . It was not the insignia of any of the known system lords.
              “How is this possible, the goa’ulds jaffa could not have possibly gotten past our Head of Security Agent Dark.”
              “Zatted”, replied deepspace.
              “Oh god, how many times?”
              “Only once, but it was one of those strong ones. You know how they can vary.”
              “Ok, get me Vice president Sally immediately, and round up a team, oh, and tell them combats and camouflage.”
              “Yessir.”
              “And check at the royal observatory for anything unusual that might have been sighted in the past 24 hours.

              ***

              After receiving the news vice president Sally immediately began to collect all the citizens of Samanda inside the great hall. Majorsam was preparing a small team consisting of the Jester Chopingal, the Accountant Coley, and AstroG, the Keeper of the flame. When she had their attention she said “Ok folks, we have a possible location for a cloaked ship just six Ks north of here. We’re going to approach with caution and attempt a search and rescue. Dancer of Spaz, you’re our Lurker Extroidinaire, so I want you to go ahead and, well, lurk. Try to gather as much info as possible on our enemy target.”
              “Madam president, do you think maybe we would do better without wearing our orange t-shirts? They don’t exactly, er, blend in with the surroundings”, replied the lurker.
              “Right, then kit up in standard issue BDU’s. Kat, I’m afraid I need the royal nanny to stay here and help sally look after the citizens. Oh, Uber, do we have a photo of the Elder to show the locals, incase they’ve seen her?”
              “Um, not sure”, replied the royal photographer.
              “Just a sec”, said astroG. “Let me check my archives. Here we go, found one.”



              “Er, is this the only photo of reference that we’ve got?”
              ...

              ...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

              HIC COMITAS REGIT!

              Comment


                Originally posted by deepspace
                Morning here too. Hey, you’re an aussie too! I only just realised.


                Ok, I know everyone has probably played this already, but I’m going to have a go at guessing before I read other people’s answers.

                clip 1 Emancipation=sam dressed in that ghastly blue fancy dress thingy.

                clip 2 Children of the Gods=sam getting enthusiastic over the DHD at Abydos.

                clip 3 Hathor=sam and janet behind bars

                clip 4 Emancipation=sam annoyed that she doesn’t get to do what the guys get to do

                clip 5 Solitudes=jack after sam has been squashing his broken ribs

                clip 6 Hathor=sam and janet behind bars
                Got them all! I'll try to put some more clips up later tonight(still on the 14th in the midwestern US )

                NC

                Comment


                  RE Weir's character in Atlantis and TH portrayl of her, I too found the character really bland and uninteresting as well. But in defence, she started to pick up abit in the 'The Eye' (about halfway thru the season) and IMO shown big improvement toward the end of the season. I'm hoping that season2 will open that character (and Teyla) up for some more interesting story arcs. Atlantis desperatly needs a strong female lead, and unfortunatly atm they dont have one.

                  And speaking of female leads in SciFi, I've really been getting into the new Battlestar Galactica series and I'm impressed by Katee Sackhoff who plays Lt. Kara 'Starbuck' Thrace. She has the role of the arrogant, cigar smokin', insubordinate, slightly eccentric, ace pilot down pat. Its also interesting to note that Starbuck was actually a male in the original Battlestar Galactica series. One of the best characters in the series IMO, along with Dr Baltar (lol at his antics )

                  PS Brilliant post back there AstroG. Have some green

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by deepspace
                    Morning here too. Hey, you’re an aussie too! I only just realised.
                    Sweet Whereabouts you from?

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by deepspace
                      Earlier in this thread our Jester mentioned that her birthday was in March.
                      So after a little digging in the gateworld calendar, listed under the 15th of March, which is today (according to aussie time at least)...

                      HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHOPINGAL!
                      lol, see the trick is to fly to Australia, celebrate your birthday here, then fly back to the States and celebrate it again


                      Hmmm I wonder how many candles...

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                        RE Weir's character in Atlantis and TH portrayl of her, I too found the character really bland and uninteresting as well. But in defence, she started to pick up abit in the 'The Eye' (about halfway thru the season) and IMO shown big improvement toward the end of the season. I'm hoping that season2 will open that character (and Teyla) up for some more interesting story arcs. Atlantis desperatly needs a strong female lead, and unfortunatly atm they dont have one.

                        And speaking of female leads in SciFi, I've really been getting into the new Battlestar Galactica series and I'm impressed by Katee Sackhoff who plays Lt. Kara 'Starbuck' Thrace. She has the role of the arrogant, cigar smokin', insubordinate, slightly eccentric, ace pilot down pat. Its also interesting to note that Starbuck was actually a male in the original Battlestar Galactica series. One of the best characters in the series IMO, along with Dr Baltar (lol at his antics )
                        I totally agree with you about Weir and Teyla in Atlantis. Up until the last few episodes, they've been pretty blah, kind of in the background. Just think about how the first half season of SG1 would have been if Sam had played a very secondary role. I certainly wouldn't have been very interested.

                        But it seems to me that they're finally giving both Weir and Teyla something to do, and for me the show is more interesting to watch because of it. In the Gift, Weir did some translations, and I thought wow, she's not just supervising, she's doing hands-on activity, and I liked it. Teyla was showcased, and
                        Spoiler:
                        giving her Wraith DNA
                        may be similar to having Sam blend with Jolinar, in terms of character development.

                        And I also agree with you about Starbuck. What a great character - strong when she needs to be, but certainly not perfect. I remember that there was some flack about the fact that the gender of the character was changed from the original BSG, but I remember the original, and IMO this Starbuck is much more fun.

                        NC

                        Comment


                          Agent Dark: And speaking of female leads in SciFi, I've really been getting into the new Battlestar Galactica series and I'm impressed by Katee Sackhoff who plays Lt. Kara 'Starbuck' Thrace. She has the role of the arrogant, cigar smokin', insubordinate, slightly eccentric, ace pilot down pat. Its also interesting to note that Starbuck was actually a male in the original Battlestar Galactica series. One of the best characters in the series IMO, along with Dr Baltar (lol at his antics )
                          I watched the miniseries, and wasn't really impressed. I have started watching the series now, and it's much better. I think we are up to episode 4? While Starbuck is not at all like Sam in anyway, she is my favourite character in Battlestar Galactica. The actor really plays the arrogance and everything well. She's good at what she does, and she knows it. She's also kind of a 'pretend you're as tough as possible' kind of character, which is in a way a bit what I'm like. After the miniseries I probably wouldn't have kept watching except the 'Boomer as a Cylon' twist sucked me in. The show doesn't rate anywhere near Stargate for me, but it's quite fun.

                          Agent Dark: Whereabouts you from?
                          Sydney

                          ...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

                          HIC COMITAS REGIT!

                          Comment


                            Kat: However, although I know a lot of people don’t particularly like the changes that occurred within Sam’s character from season seven onward, I truly believe season seven was “The Year of Sam”. It was oozing with great episodes revolving around Sam. Not only did we get to see her in action, but we were also given access into her heart and mind to see what she thinks and feels.
                            I really loved season7. Like you said, it was kind of like the year of sam. I am getting all hyper and excited at the thought of the season7 boxed sets coming out here on the 19th.
                            It’s a bit hard for me to remember the first episodes, as they aired episodes 701 to 708 straight after season6, so I always thought they were part of season6. We then had a big break of about six to eight months before they aired season7 starting with Avenger2.0. And then they were airing two episodes a week.
                            Therefore my comments on episodes before Avenger are patchy.
                            So…

                            FALLEN—I mainly loved this episode because Daniel came back (though I miss Jonas). I really loved Sam’s interaction with Daniel though. I’m not sure how it goes anymore, but the lines where Daniel asks Sam if there was ever anything between them, and she tells him they were just friends, I liked that scene.

                            HOMECOMING—I don’t remember Sam being in this much, but I might be wrong.

                            FRAGILE BALANCE—This was an episode all about Jack, but I really liked Sam in this. It must have been so hard to feel like this boy was her superior officer, but she managed it brilliantly. I never really had a problem with the scene of the pilot briefing. I only really noticed after I’d read people’s comments here.

                            ORPHEUS—Oh no!!! I have absolutely no idea what this episode is.

                            REVISIONS—Didn’t Sam get to work with someone on a neat fancy alientechnology computer?

                            LIFEBOAT--??? This was a brilliant Michael Shanks acting episode.

                            ENEMY MINE--?? Ounas?

                            SPACE RACE—I remember this as being another of those episodes that I wish they’d done more subtely. But it had Sam co-flying a spaceship, right?

                            Well, I’m sure you were all sitting on the edges of your seats holding your breath while reading my absolutely amazingly thoughtful comments on these episodes. Hmm, why did I bother…

                            Ok…

                            AVENGER2.0—I remember this as being yet another of those episodes that I wish they’d done more subtely. There were quite a lot of good Sam soldier scenes though. Felger just never grew on me. I really don’t like his character. And the last scene of his weird dream of Sam and that other woman, oh how that made me hate the episode for ages. My favourite part of this episode was actually the little miniature Stargate set that Felger had in his house. When I thought this was the first episode of season7 I was really worried that the whole season was going to be like that.

                            BIRTHRIGHT—But then Avenger was followed by this episode, which I really liked. I particularly liked how it was Sam they chose to talk to instead of the Leader Jack. I don’t like every female warrior on a tv show, infact, I don’t like most of them, but I really enjoyed the fact that they brought in female Jaffa to Stargate. So yes, I loved this, despite all my dad’s comments on “look, more Amazons like my daughter”.

                            EVOLUTION PARTS 1&2—Sam in charge!!! What else…. Oh, sam in charge!!!

                            GRACE—This is a good Sam ep, but actually not my most favourite. It was so strange and surreal that when I woke up the next morning I wondered if I had actually watched an episode of Stargate the previous night or if I had dreamt the whole thing. Amanda played the headwound really well though.

                            FALLOUT—We got Sam and Jonas again, and they tunneled through a planet! I really really liked this episode. It was a nice one off with lots of Sam.

                            CHIMERA—I thought this was a good fun episode. My only wish would have been if it had been a one-off. My favourite scene has to be Sam and Jack in the lift, with Sam humming the stargate themetune! And Jack coming up with a quantum physics word “Quarks”. I ROFLOL at this.

                            DEATH KNELL—One of my favourite Sam episodes. So nitty gritty dirty and real. Sam on the run from the supersoldiers, managing to survive against all odds. Morelike sam the Supersoldier. And I didn’t find the last scene of her resting weak.

                            HEROES PART 1&2—The first episode of this I wasn’t all that fussed about, but the second one has to be one of my favourites. Only why oh why couldn’t they have kept Janet. I sobbed! The best Sam scene being her being followed down the corridor and losing her temper and telling them to switch the cameras off.

                            RESURRECTION—Don’t remember much Sam in this

                            INAUGURATION—THE most boring clip episode of all clip episodes

                            THE LOST CITY PART 1&2—Everything about this pair of episodes was BRILLIANT! I loved them. Completely independently, before reading that the script for this was originally going to make a movie, my brother and I were agreeing with each other that this was a better movie than the movie. I loved Sam in this, everything from the scenes at Jacks house drinking beer to aboard the ship, especially her giving him an order. And my favourite scene at the end where Jack was frozen in stasis. We had both episodes played in one night, which was supergreat. The funny thing being that they left it with Jack frozen, and I was going “Oh no, it will be another six months before they even think about airing season8.” And then the very next week they started season8.

                            ...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

                            HIC COMITAS REGIT!

                            Comment


                              Oops, forgot to say that out of all those episodes I voted for Death Knell, Heroes 1&2, and The Lost City 1&2. (This means that I actually voted for 5 episodes, but I count them as being the same episode.)

                              ...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

                              HIC COMITAS REGIT!

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by deepspace
                                Seeing as everyone is inventing new games, I was wondering if anyone would like to "continue the story". I have written a short start. It's not particularly good or funny, but I'm hoping you guys can bring that into it.

                                THE LOST ELDER
                                A story of the city of Samanda

                                Majorsam was sitting in the great hall of Samanda by herself, bored. She had just decided to go to the fridge and get some jello when the large double doors of the Samandan court burst open. It was the royal Page, panting and flapping a piece of paper around in the air.
                                “Madam President, we have a matter of utmost importance. A message for you from, um, well, a system lord. No name specified. He claims he has captured our Wise Elder, Nearly Circular.”
                                “Let’s see”, said Majorsam taking the paper. It had a wax seal on it, imprinted with a symbol of an atom . It was not the insignia of any of the known system lords.
                                “How is this possible, the goa’ulds jaffa could not have possibly gotten past our Head of Security Agent Dark.”
                                “Zatted”, replied deepspace.
                                “Oh god, how many times?”
                                “Only once, but it was one of those strong ones. You know how they can vary.”
                                “Ok, get me Vice president Sally immediately, and round up a team, oh, and tell them combats and camouflage.”
                                “Yessir.”
                                “And check at the royal observatory for anything unusual that might have been sighted in the past 24 hours.

                                ***

                                After receiving the news vice president Sally immediately began to collect all the citizens of Samanda inside the great hall. Majorsam was preparing a small team consisting of the Jester Chopingal, the Accountant Coley, and AstroG, the Keeper of the flame. When she had their attention she said “Ok folks, we have a possible location for a cloaked ship just six Ks north of here. We’re going to approach with caution and attempt a search and rescue. Dancer of Spaz, you’re our Lurker Extroidinaire, so I want you to go ahead and, well, lurk. Try to gather as much info as possible on our enemy target.”
                                “Madam president, do you think maybe we would do better without wearing our orange t-shirts? They don’t exactly, er, blend in with the surroundings”, replied the lurker.
                                “Right, then kit up in standard issue BDU’s. Kat, I’m afraid I need the royal nanny to stay here and help sally look after the citizens. Oh, Uber, do we have a photo of the Elder to show the locals, incase they’ve seen her?”
                                “Um, not sure”, replied the royal photographer.
                                “Just a sec”, said astroG. “Let me check my archives. Here we go, found one.”



                                “Er, is this the only photo of reference that we’ve got?”
                                ...
                                As a faithful companion to the Wise Elder, I was concerned when I read this account, as I am dependent on her for sustenance and exercise. I took it upon myself to infiltrate her computer to look for more recent images. I did find a somewhat more recent photo, but as you can see, it has somehow been marred by an unfortunate accident.


                                I do hope that this will assist you in your search. I also include a picture of myself, on the lookout for my next meal, er, my missing friend.



                                NC's mutt

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X