Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
    Please understand that I am beyond angry and aggitated at this moment and rest assured I will do my best to confine my thoughts to what has been publicly divulged on Samanda.

Most of my feelings and compulsions are of the kneejerk variety...and should be acknowledged as such. That being said, I would not be in favor of a Save Sam campaign or anything to that effect. To be perfectly blunt, if TPTB can't figure out what to do with a loyal, longsuffering, brilliant, and integral member of the franchise and if they don't have the common decency to contact her directly about what they're thinking of doing with her character, then I'm of the opinion they don't deserve her.

I am however in favor of some measure to alert TPTB that they once again have stepped into it royally, that the fanbase at large is not happy with their moronic stupidity and disrespect toward Amanda and Sam and her fans...something that shows our ire toward their foolishness while at the same time letting Amanda know that we are not happy at all with her treatment and support her no matter what she does.

I honestly doubt that the displeasure is limited to Samanda. Sure, we are more vocal because she is our favorite character and we love discussing her and the delightful actress who portrays her so brilliantly. But except for a teenie weenie minority that hate Sam for their pathetic little reasons, most of SG-1 fandom likes if not loves Carter.

I also must add that it is clear to me that TPTB have taken both Amanda and Sam completely for granted in favor of their new shiny toys...but I have to question whether or not TPTB understand the full implications this will have on the show and furthermore, the franchise.

I've already lost Jack, lost Janet, lost Hammond, lost ship (essentially)...an SG-1 without Carter holds zero interest to me. And if I, a completely obsessed SG-1 junkie for so many years can seriously entertain the notion of ditching the show, I wonder how many others feel that way too.

I truly believe that if this plays out like I fear it could, this is the DEATH KNELL for the series.

Forgive my ignorance here, but I don't know anything about the Save Daniel Jackson Campaign, so I don't know what that means to have a Save Sam Carter campaign? I know we should not discuss fan groups, so you don't need to answer this question, but I do agree that we do need to respond quite clearly to TPTB. And yes there are alot of Sam carter fans out there all around.

The problem is, we don't know exactly what is going on, so is difficult to respond. For now, it makes sense to take Minigeek's advice and respond in JM's blog. But I would be all for a concerted response from Sam fans to TPTB that of course does not attack them, yet expresses what we are feeling. And this response would of course not attack any other character or actor (which should go without saying).

Comment

I've already lost Jack, lost Janet, lost Hammond, lost ship (essentially)...an SG-1 without Carter holds zero interest to me. And if I, a completely obsessed SG-1 junkie for so many years can seriously entertain the notion of ditching the show, I wonder how many others feel that way too.

I truly believe that if this plays out like I fear it could, this is the DEATH KNELL for the series.
      Hi Über:

I understand how you feel. I was an SG1 junkie - wouldn't miss an ep and if I was out I would tape it. Bought S 1-6 on DVD. Then Season 7 happened - stopped taping when I was out, stopped buying the DVDs and then S8 and I even stopped watching some eps altogether never mind stopped taping. Then S9 eps 1-5 and didn't watch much at all and what I did watch I ended up turning off rather quickly. Eps 6-10 were medicore even with Carter back - SG1 lost it's lustre 2 seasons ago for this used-to-be-junkie. If they do what has been reported in S10/S4 then I will only watch whatever eps include Carter and only if they sound like the character is being treated with respect (I am on the verge of NOT watching GUP because of M. Wood's idiotic description of McKay's idiotic, immature hallucination. If, what IMO is the degredation and demeaning of this character continues, it will well and truly be over for me in toto).

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
        Forgive my ignorance here, but I don't know anything about the Save Daniel Jackson Campaign, so I don't know what that means to have a Save Sam Carter campaign? I know we should not discuss fan groups, so you don't need to answer this question, but I do agree that we do need to respond quite clearly to TPTB. And yes there are alot of Sam carter fans out there all around.

The problem is, we don't know exactly what is going on, so is difficult to respond. For now, it makes sense to take Minigeek's advice and respond in JM's blog. But I would be all for a concerted response from Sam fans to TPTB that of course does not attack them, yet expresses what we are feeling. And this response would of course not attack any other character or actor (which should go without saying).
        The important thing to remember in any fan campaign is not to go too far - no threats to anyone.

Comment

Ok guys, I'm not supposed to be online, but I snuck on for a moment cause I haven't been able to concentrate on anything all day. I've only read a post or two, but I get the idea. Sam is probably not going to be in SG1 any more, and they're putting Vala in instead. Sam may, however be on Atlantis. Thankyou to Kat for posting. *hugs Kat*
          I can't stay, and that's probably just as well, as I think I need to think before I react. Things aren't as bad as I'd feared, but doesn't sound great either. As I said, hopefully I'll get back on tomorrow and be able to read more thoroughly, and figure out what my feelings on this are.
          I think of all people I'm most worried about Coley. I know how she felt regarding Vala. And Über, plese try not to be so upset, you seem to be taking this really really bad *hugs*. I'm still a bit shocked, so I'm really not sure how I feel yet.
          I'll try and get on again ASAP, also known as Tomorrow . Love to all. And hugs to those who need em.
          deep

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc

The Save Daniel Campaign is before my online fandom time but I understand it was not a pretty thing to behold. We are above that I think.

We can express our immense displeasure at TPTB while showing support for Sam/Amanda and do it in a "not freaky" way.

ON EDIT...This is my 2500th post on GW and I'm now a First Prime. *weeeeeeeeeee*

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
              I'm sure I'm deluding myself by thinking that this bonehead move isn't set in stone yet. Perhaps it will be so poorly received that things could change. Then again, we're still getting the space baby, so I doubt any level of criticism could return TPTB to any kind of sanity.

Still, it's an insult to Atlantis and its cast. And its an insult to the SG-1 team and its history. And its an incredible insult to Amanda Tapping, who is simply being used to carry two shows without proper credit for her efforts, both past and future. And it's an insult to Sam Carter, who apparently has no place in the Stargate Universe at this point.
              Something you said here, golfbooy brought my attention to the large number of visitors tuning in to this thread. Do you suppose...could it be possible some are...*gasp* from TPTB?? Getting a take on how this plays out with fans loyal to AT? Could it...Maybe. Maybe not.

I'd certainly like to think there's still chipping options on that stone that seems so set. Nothing's over til its done, I guess.

Just sayin'. Please offer a fave tidbit for our celebration; it's still going on and we so need more goodies!
              MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
              sigpic
              Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

I am as sad as you guys are, so I thought I share some Amanda smiles with you. Hope they make you all feel better. *Group Hug*

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Please understand that I am beyond angry and aggitated at this moment and rest assured I will do my best to confine my thoughts to what has been publicly divulged on Samanda.

Most of my feelings and compulsions are of the kneejerk variety...and should be acknowledged as such. That being said, I would not be in favor of a Save Sam campaign or anything to that effect. To be perfectly blunt, if TPTB can't figure out what to do with a loyal, longsuffering, brilliant, and integral member of the franchise and if they don't have the common decency to contact her directly about what they're thinking of doing with her character, then I'm of the opinion they don't deserve her.

I am however in favor of some measure to alert TPTB that they once again have stepped into it royally, that the fanbase at large is not happy with their moronic stupidity and disrespect toward Amanda and Sam and her fans...something that shows our ire toward their foolishness while at the same time letting Amanda know that we are not happy at all with her treatment and support her no matter what she does.

I honestly doubt that the displeasure is limited to Samanda. Sure, we are more vocal because she is our favorite character and we love discussing her and the delightful actress who portrays her so brilliantly. But except for a teenie weenie minority that hate Sam for their pathetic little reasons, most of SG-1 fandom likes if not loves Carter.

I also must add that it is clear to me that TPTB have taken both Amanda and Sam completely for granted in favor of their new shiny toys...but I have to question whether or not TPTB understand the full implications this will have on the show and furthermore, the franchise.

Yes I had the same reaction to the news, when I first logged on, and I'm trying to stay positive. That was a while ago because of this crazy laptop that takes three days to pull up a page and post. oh well....

I wish they would show Amanda more respect too!!! You have never heard her say a cross word about anyone cast or crew. She has been loyal since the beginning and if they don't see that then their loss. I think there will be postive news coming forth soon from AT! Maybe that's on a new show! Or maybe on both Stargate show! Where ever she goes this fan will follow. It'll be a sad day for Stargate if she isn't there full time. If they changes things too drastically I hope she pulls out, but then again she has always said that the cast/crew were like her family. I just want whatever will give AT, her husband and daughter the most joy and happiness. A show that will love and respect her as much as she does to them (and that may be Stargate). Maybe she will get to direct another episode. We know how much she loved that!!

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                    Ok guys, I'm not supposed to be online, but I snuck on for a moment cause I haven't been able to concentrate on anything all day. I've only read a post or two, but I get the idea. Sam is probably not going to be in SG1 any more, and they're putting Vala in instead. Sam may, however be on Atlantis. Thankyou to Kat for posting. *hugs Kat*
                    I can't stay, and that's probably just as well, as I think I need to think before I react. Things aren't as bad as I'd feared, but doesn't sound great either. As I said, hopefully I'll get back on tomorrow and be able to read more thoroughly, and figure out what my feelings on this are.
                    I think of all people I'm most worried about Coley. I know how she felt regarding Vala. And Über, plese try not to be so upset, you seem to be taking this really really bad *hugs*. I'm still a bit shocked, so I'm really not sure how I feel yet.
                    I'll try and get on again ASAP, also known as Tomorrow . Love to all. And hugs to those who need em.
                    deep
                    It seems pretty obvious they are trying to get rid of her in a roundabout way to avoid a lawsuit, and I hope it fails.

Comment

The more I think about this, the worse of an idea it seems. She would be, what, a recurring character on each series? I don't care how it's spun, that sounds like taking a step backwards. And it does sound like the producers are hoping to take advantage of Amanda Tapping. Sorry, right now, that's how it looks.

I do so hope to be proven wrong.

The worst part is, this crazy, ill-conceived plan could have possibly worked this season. I think as far as many fans were concerned, the producers could do whatever they had to do accomodate Amanda Tapping's pregnancy. Even, yes, split her time between Atlantis and SG-1 in order to make Carter's absence make sense. But to do this after she's already returned to SG-1 is awful. It's awful to the character of Sam Carter, and it's awful to Amanda Tapping.

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
                        Yes I had the same reaction to the news, when I first logged on, and I'm trying to stay positive. That was a while ago because of this crazy laptop that takes three days to pull up a page and post. oh well....

I wish they would show Amanda more respect too!!! You have never heard her say a cross word about anyone cast or crew. She has been loyal since the beginning and if they don't see that then their loss. I think there will be postive news coming forth soon from AT! Maybe that's on a new show! Or maybe on both Stargate show! Where ever she goes this fan will follow. It'll be a sad day for Stargate if she isn't there full time. If they changes things too drastically I hope she pulls out, but then again she has always said that the cast/crew were like her family. I just want whatever will give AT, her husband and daughter the most joy and happiness. A show that will love and respect her as much as she does to them (and that may be Stargate). Maybe she will get to direct another episode. We know how much she loved that!!
                        I totally agree with this. I hope that whenever ChopinGal posts, that she can put a positive spin on whatever came from today. Personally, if any of this is true, I think it's a disservice to both actress and character. However, this may be the way that TPTB seem to think that they want it to go and the large fanbase will have to suffer. As a fan of RDA, I suffered at the loss of Jack to the show. But since Amanda and the others would be there, I told myself I'd watch - to give it a chance. I've given them that chance and if the events of today turn out to be that way, then my chance with them is finished. Whether or not they hurt or feel the loss of another huge fanbase is yet to be determined. Above all else, I am an Amanda Tapping fan. I wish her great success in her future projects. Again, I'd love to see her on network tv (it does tend to offer more $$). If she wants to take a big break to spend time with husband and child, more power to her. I shall miss Sam as much as I miss Jack. And in my mind, they'll be fishing in Minnesota for the rest of their lives.

I bid you all a good night. I'll try and pop in here when I can as I have a test to study for tomorrow.
                        sigpic

Comment

I have to wonder how much of this is set in stone or what is up in the air. Or is everything up in the air. It seems even Amanda isn't sure...and of course TPTB are apparently unable to pick up the telephone or pay a visit to her house to talk to her personally about what they're thinking. That small courtesy apparently requires more respect than they can manage for an actress who's been an integral member of the franchise since its inception.

So here's the question...are TPTB batting this idea about because they want to test the waters at how SG fandom would respond to a Carterless SG-1? Or are they so tragically idea-deficient that they just can't manage writing for both Carter and Vala at the same time? And why is it that Carter would be the recurring one, since she's, you know, the series regular and Vala is, you know, NOT?

Well at least that's how things were in the good ol' days, when the sky was up and water was wet.

I'm not sure how things will play out in this alternate reality, where a thief and a scoundrel apparently is a more suitable member of Earth's frontline team than a hero who's saved earth countless times.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                            i do agree, if things were accurately relayed, that no one at bridge had the grace to talk TO amanda is the height of rudeness and totally disrespectful to her.

shame on them

regardless of pairings or relatioships, amanda has given the show 120% since day one, including unofficially carrying the show and part of rick's weight as leader during season 6. it's rather sad that she is shown so little respect.

BUT, i do look at it this way

a) she's got another job offer and i doubt she went out looking for it. which means that someone out there WANTS her on their show. and given how much bridge seems to be taking her for granted i wouldn't blame her for moving on to greener pastures

b) she will, supposedly, be a crossover character and atlantis has, theoretically, YEARS of life left to it. Stargate is circling the drain and it's very likely that, next year, while amanda could be signign to be a recurring character on s4 of atlantis, bb, cb, ms and cj will all be out doing casting calls and auditions and trying to find work
                            On pointe, Skydiver and although I'm trying to reserve my shock, SHOCK at this report, it's for sure AT was dissed. Bottom line, as it were, this is show biz. No rules, no respect, no rhyme or reason is the norm. I do wonder what her castmates think of this, and if they knew before AT did that she was being separated? Someone say, "awkward."

On point B, though, that would be great for her. She goes on to be either part of the Atlantis franchise or a new venue entirely. Wonderful if her talent is taken into account and works for her.

Just sayin'. There! A criticism and a positive comment, that's what we need right now!
                            MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                            sigpic
                            Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by Sum1
                              It seems pretty obvious they are trying to get rid of her in a roundabout way to avoid a lawsuit, and I hope it fails.

I'm not sure about this. I don't see how AT could sue because they only sign one-year contracts. I don't think Scifi or Sony is obligated to have her back.

If we go on what RCC told her--they do plan to write Sam into both shows, equaling 20 episodes (full-time). I don't see that as trying to get rid of her. I think it shows trying to use her to their benefit for both shows.

I have to admit, I am a bit saddened by the fact that AT is dealing with this while she is at her first convention just for her. How does she respond to what she hopes for Sam on SG-1 when she doesn't know what's going on (that Sam may be split between the shows). On second thought, though, being at this convention that is soley for her with very warm and kind Sam fans is probably a good place to be.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                                The more I think about this, the worse of an idea it seems. She would be, what, a recurring character on each series? I don't care how it's spun, that sounds like taking a step backwards. And it does sound like the producers are hoping to take advantage of Amanda Tapping. Sorry, right now, that's how it looks.

I do so hope to be proven wrong.

The worst part is, this crazy, ill-conceived plan could have possibly worked this season. I think as far as many fans were concerned, the producers could do whatever they had to do accomodate Amanda Tapping's pregnancy. Even, yes, split her time between Atlantis and SG-1 in order to make Carter's absence make sense. But to do this after she's already returned to SG-1 is awful. It's awful to the character of Sam Carter, and it's awful to Amanda Tapping.
                                Well said and absolutely right. This whole thing wreaks of studio interference to me though and the politics is just sickening.

You know, I actually championed Bridge, saying that at least they knew what they had in both Sam and Amanda...that if SciFi pushed for Vala/CB, that because Bridge honored and respected Sam/Amanda, they'd make sure that it wasn't an either/or thing.

I'm starting to feel like a naïve chump right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X