Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
    Well that's because John Crichton was a compelling character who oozed leadership ability. Even when he didn't have a clue, which was...you know, all the time...you NEVER got the sense that he wasn't in command.

Oooh...brand new poster on that thread...and in fact, brand new to GW! His first post on the forum was to agree with me!!!

We must encourage these newbies as to continue in the wisdom of the Samandan elders which scream..."Sam's more qualified! Give her her command back!!!"

The sad thing is, I just don't see it happening. They aren't going to give Sam command of SG-1 because the franchise is banking on BB being the successful male lead that will carry the show. Rightly or wrongly, that seems to be their stance. We can scream all we want, and it won't happen because it's simply a business decision. It has nothing to do with storyline logic.

What ticks me off is that they could have handled it so much better. They could have made Cam a full bird colonel, clearly out-ranking Sam, and thereby alleviated the arguments (at least to a large extent.) They could have given us a legitimate reason why Sam declined to lead the team, or didn't get the nod to lead. SOMETHING. Anything.

All they've done by not addressing the issue clearly and openly is manage to annoy everyone, in particular the Sam/AT fans. TPTB seem to like driving the fans crazy with speculation, but I know I'd be a lot happier with this season if they'd done a better job handling this single issue, and I don't think I'm alone in that. It seems counterproductive to what they're trying to achieve (a happy audience embracing the changes).

I did enjoy the episodes Friday. There was more of a team feel to them, and the stories held my attention. I thought AT did a wonderful job, and it was so good to see her on the screen for more than a few seconds at a time.

My LJ

Comment

Here's a site with some great Sam wallpapers.

http://www.stargatesg1971.com/wallpapers/samwp.html

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
        Here's a site with some great Sam wallpapers.

http://www.stargatesg1971.com/wallpapers/samwp.html
        Very nice - I especially like http://www.stargatesg1971.com/wallpapers/caps/236.html and http://www.stargatesg1971.com/wallpapers/caps/235.html
        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
        love Torri

Comment

Thanks so much for posting your screencaps, Qasim. Some of her expressions are so powerful and some are simply cracking me up. It's great to have her back.

Great posts everybody, there are some good discussions going on here. Some of you said that the source of all the issues could be SciFi, and you know what, I think that might be true, at least it would make a whole lot more sense.
          If this is the case, though, and SciFi is insisting on a male lead (what a cliché ) and it is TPTB who want to keep Sam in charge, then they really have quite a job to do and it would explain a lot.
          It would explain why there is no real explanation, why it's such a back and forth. and why it all doesn't make any sense. TPTB would really be stuck between a rock and a hard place, trying to follow the SciFi instruction for a male lead and at the same trying to get as much of leading Sam in as possible. Honestly, I would not want to be in that position. But, it's all just speculations here, who knows what's really going on.

Originally posted by Strix varia
          What ticks me off is that they could have handled it so much better. They could have made Cam a full bird colonel, clearly out-ranking Sam, and thereby alleviated the arguments (at least to a large extent.) They could have given us a legitimate reason why Sam declined to lead the team, or didn't get the nod to lead. SOMETHING. Anything.
          THANK YOU. That's exactly my point and what I said earlier a couple of times. And it is not only annoying to the fans, it is also degrading to the character, IMHO, which is something Sam and especially AT do not deserve at all.

On another topic:
          Originally posted by SamFan31
          CAPTIONS??

Sam thinking: How was it again that Mitchell got this job??? Must have been his looks...

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
            Thanks so much for posting your screencaps, Qasim. Some of her expressions are so powerful and some are simply cracking me up. It's great to have her back.
            Your welcome

Its mainly for those who havent seen the eps yet to get a bit of a feel for them and for people to use for captions

They are only small ones - they are only intended to be used until proper websites get their fullsize ones up

But your right about the expressions: You have to screencap to really appreciate them because the action is so fast you miss most of them
            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
            love Torri

Comment

i don't want to turn this into sam vs cam

yes, i think cam's 'rank' and job is coming from scifi. Yes, i think BB was cast to replace RDA, that cam is the new Jack
              yes, i'd love to see sam in charge

but as much as we all know that i enjoy criticizing and critiqueueing the boys at bridge, i do think that they're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

they have skiffy telling them to make cam the boss, they know that it won't be well received by the garden variety fan and so they're trying to keep it vague. I think it also has some bearing on them trying to accomodate amanda as much as possible. i'm sure she enjoys less time at work and more time with olivia

I think they're damned if they do and damned if they don't and are doing the best they can

Personally? i'm happy that amanda didn't decide to leave the show. i'm glad to get what we get
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                I think they're damned if they do and damned if they don't and are doing the best they can
                But what do they think that being vague and pussyfooting around the leadership issue and others such as S/J is going to achieve?
                love Torri

Comment

yes, i think cam's 'rank' and job is coming from scifi. Yes, i think BB was cast to replace RDA, that cam is the new Jack

but as much as we all know that i enjoy criticizing and critiqueueing the boys at bridge, i do think that they're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

they have skiffy telling them to make cam the boss, they know that it won't be well received by the garden variety fan and so they're trying to keep it vague. I think it also has some bearing on them trying to accomodate amanda as much as possible. i'm sure she enjoys less time at work and more time with olivia

Personally? i'm happy that amanda didn't decide to leave the show. i'm glad to get what we get
                  Thanks for putting it in perspective, Sky. And you are right, first and foremost I am thankful to Amanda that she is giving us another year of Sam!!!

I stand by what I said so far, but I am just going to shut up now, because it shouldn't be Sam vs. Cam

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Who's is the photobucket account called accesspics - http://photobucket.com/albums/v235/accesspics/?start=0

love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                      Who's is the photobucket account called accesspics - http://photobucket.com/albums/v235/accesspics/?start=0

I'm not positive but I think that may be Astro's.

Edit: Actually after looking through a few of the pages, I'm 99% sure that is Astro's.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                        I'm not positive but I think that may be Astro's.

Edit: Actually after looking through a few of the pages, I'm 99% sure that is Astro's.
                        Do you think she will mind me posting some pics now and then when the thread goes onto page 2?
                        love Torri

Comment

I understand...I see Skiffy's meddling hands here too...

So then I say be honest. They told us the truth about the theme song debacle...be honest here too. Because their lack of clarity (and in fact series of quotes that say otherwise) is only leading to contention.

If they had said something at the getgo and kept with it, and didn't give me as a Sam fan the sense that Cam was only temporarily the leader of SG-1 while Sam was away...I'd be ticked but I'd live through it. I'd resent it for awhile knowing that AT and SC were shafted because of a corporation's image, then acknowledge and move on.

But they haven't. They've danced and misled. And that makes me resent things even more.

Hopefully they'll understand that they can't dance on this issue...they need to be straight with us and...heck, we'll feel bad for them because of Skiffy's meddling again. You know, when I read earlier how happy TPTB were that Skiffy kept their hands off...I should have realized it was bitter sarcasm.

So one way or the other, they need to clarify their position and let the chips fall where they may...because this isn't like the ship issue where they can be vague and somehow make most people happy.

Last edited by Uber; 18 September 2005, 04:07 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                            But what do they think that being vague and pussyfooting around the leadership issue and others such as S/J is going to achieve?
                            they think it'll keep people interested.

personally, i think skiffy enjoys jerking the fans around. they like keeping things stirred up.

i mean, look at how they handled the credits. they told bridge to cut them down to make ads. bridge didn't want to but had to. the fans are ticked, so skiffy alters history says 'hey, we always meant for it to be additional story time - notice at that con the skiffy rep didn't say this on stage in front of the bridge folks, but off stage, where there was no one round to confront him

i think, as far as scifi is concerned, cam is the boss and ben the star. his name is first in the credits, he's said 'sg1 leader' on an episode....and i don't think they sit down and watch every eps to realize that cam is definitely not behaving like a leader. he's acting like a freshman who gets to run around with the seniors.

and, personally, i don't think scifi cares if fans are ticked off. all they want to do is spin things and alter history and rake in the dough
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Yes, that photobucket album is definitely astro's. (For a starters it's got the SaGC collection pics). Gosh I miss her. There are some really good screencaps and pics in there. She had rather a talent for blowing us away with her screencapping abilities.

I love your screen shots from the season 9 eps Qas. Thankyou for posting them. Because i haven't seen the season yet, it's really nice for me to have something like this to not feel entirely in the dark. Between screencaps and people's discussion I almost feel like I've actually seen Sam in season 9!

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                                that threw me. complete, utterly threw me.

rant time - spoilers for fourth horseman

Spoiler:
                                it was implied that sam and orlin had been *sexually* intimate in s5's ascension? because that's how that was acted/reacted.

landry - 'according to your mission report on your first encounter with orlin, you two had an... intimate relationship?'

sam fumbles and says 'uh, well, we did, but he didn't look like that. he was --'

lam interrupts 'taller?'

sam responds 'he was a grown man'

so, what did i miss in ascension? or, because sean wasn't available, and they couldn't do up-to-date sam/orlin ship, they rewrote ascension's history to make it like sam and orlin *had* been sexually intimate???

this depressed me to no end. this is totally me reacting as a shipper.

damn them.

sally
                                I'm not a shipper but that implication totally appalled me. I don't think that was ever the nature of their relationship. I was waiting for her to say
                                Spoiler:
                                yes, in a mental connection way
                                or something to that effect. Otherwise I thought it was a pretty good episode. I liked Prototype better and was glad to see a new writer. It looks like he has a few more episodes this season. Good to see Sam right in the thick of things in these 2 episodes. Cam may ID himself as "SG1 leader" but to me it is clear that Sam is in no way subordinate to him. Not much else to say on the eps-you've all made such good comments.

Comment

Working...
                                X