Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I second that DarkQuee.I could just see there being no Sam and Jack Resolution in Season 8 then we find out there will be a season 9 with no RDA.TPTB have had long enough to resolve the relationship.Even if RDA does come back for Season 9 that is another year of waiting.I love Stargate but I cannot say for sure I will be willing to wait another year.TPTB are running the risk of losing a Big part of there fan base with any more delays.I am starting to wonder if they even care.There is only so much you can put up with as a fan before you say it is not worth the trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Token
      I've never seen Maybourne as an angel, but he could be useful for Sam and Jack......

BTW..That reminds me of a good fic that deals with "Paradise Lost" with a different twist.

"Paradise Redeemed" by Sue Corkill
      http://sjhw.net/tolerance/paradise.htm
      Oh, Token, that was SO nice..and graphic, YEAH!! Thanks for posting the link. I know we'll never see THAT shippy a resolution, but what a nice twist on Paradise Lost!!

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
        Spoilers for Season 8
        Did anybody else start to worry when Cooper said they're not planning on "ending" the show and that they want to leave it open-ended.
        Yes

That concerns me. But he did say that some things were going to get wrapped up this season and I'm really hoping the ship is one of them.
        Me too!

I like the subtle UST and everything but if it's basically the end of the series (and I'm not counting movies) then I really hope it gets happily resolved.
        *nods* I agree.
        ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
        The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

Originally posted by bcmilco
          This just popped into my head, and I head to ask it:

In Entity Jack hesitates for a moment before he shoots Sam. His hesitation could have caused the entity to take over the base and/or kill one, ten or hundreds of people. Is there a difference between his actions and Laira's?

Now, obviously Laira's hesitation was longer, but her disicion was still made within the "required" time and she did the right thing. Just like Jack. So why the difference?
          Ohhh, can I play, too? <------ not big Laira-fan

In addition to what Tame said, I think the whole build-up about Laira has been that she is (or, rather, supposed to be) a strong and giving woman. We saw her in one ep and that's all we knew about her prior to the ending. So, her hesitation is especially disappointing because it means she was entertaining the possibility of leaving her people stranded on Earth (and Endoran families separated) in order to keep Jack stranded on Endora with her and for her -- this is not strong nor giving.
          In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
            if coop is planning on leaving the show open ended but resolving some things, part of me hopes that the ship is one thing they don't resolve, because i doubt we'd get a happy ending that way.
            i get the distinct impression that coop is not on our ship, if ya know what i mean.
            i can't see them leaving the s/j ship with a positive resolved ending if they want to leave it open ended, especially while coop is exec producer. maybe if it were up to BW or JM, but if they were to get another season, they'd be stuck with resolved ship, a lot of disgruntled anti shippers who refuse to watch the show, and i honestly can't see that working for them.

hopefully i'm wrong here and coop is more of a shipper than i think. i'd love to see them together by the end, or at least have them comfortable in the knowledge that they will be together by the end, and that that time is not too far away.
            i'd like to see them be early season 4 with each other. (or prodigy, they were pretty comfy around each other there).

please make me be wrong.
            I think RCC is a shipper. He did the commentary for Heroes pt2 and said he was amazed they kept the hugging scene that he wrote. He also said something like Sam and Jack really care for one another and its nice to see it every once in a while. BUT he also said he didn't think it would ever become the Sam and Jack hour and I got the sense that he just wants/expects there to be ship in the background without it ever being resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
              I'm feeling slightly pesimistic today. I've got a bad feeling after reading the Sci-Fi Wire spoilers.

Spoilers for Season 8
              Did anybody else start to worry when Cooper said they're not planning on "ending" the show and that they want to leave it open-ended. That concerns me. But he did say that some things were going to get wrapped up this season and I'm really hoping the ship is one of them. I like the subtle UST and everything but if it's basically the end of the series (and I'm not counting movies) then I really hope it gets happily resolved.

I was wondering if it were going to be brought up here. I'll just c/p my reply that I'd done on the S/J list. (yes, too lazy<g>)

Link to article on SciFi Wire: http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-m...6/23/12.00.sfc

Here's the quote by RCC:

//Robert C. Cooper, executive producer of SCI FI Channel's original
              series Stargate SG-1, told SCI FI Wire that the upcoming eighth
              season will wrap up a few things. "To a certain extent I hope that
              fans will feel that at the end of this season that a lot the threads
              and storylines that ... they want to see resolved will be resolved,"
              Cooper said in an interview on the show's Vancouver, B.C., set.//

{snip}

//In response to a question about whether the upcoming season will be
              the show's last, Cooper said, "We also are not going to completely
              end the show. We never wanted to end the show. Our intention was to
              leave it open so that SG-1 was still out there on adventures and also
              leave the door open for features or TV movies or direct-to-video
              movies or whatever, that sort of thing, so that the franchise will
              continue." Stargate SG-1 returns with a two-hour season premiere at 9
              p.m. ET/PT July 9.//

My feelings on this are that RCC is saying the S/J ship 'will' be
              resolved. I felt the way he worded it - "To a certain extent I hope
              that fans will feel that at the end of this season that a lot the
              threads and storylines that ... they want to see resolved will be
              resolved," - was a way of hinting about the S/J storyline,
              since 'that's' the most talked about 'wanting to be resolved'
              storyline there is. Also, his quote - "We also are not going to
              completely end the show." - gave me the impression that certain
              things about the show would be handled/resolved, but the basic
              scenario wouldn't: Sg-1, missions, the gate, so on. Jack could retire
              by the end of season 8, be with Sam, but 'still' be brought back when
              the movie(s) come about. At least that's the impression I got from
              his interview. I read their words used *very* carefully now, because
              I feel they're wording their interviews as such.<g>

Sally
              Last edited by majorsal; 23 June 2004, 07:14 PM. Reason: fixed link
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                I was wondering if it were going to be brought up here. I'll just c/p my reply that I'd done on the S/J list. (yes, too lazy<g>)

Link to article on SciFi Wire: http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-m...6/23/12.00.sfc

Here's the quote by RCC:

//Robert C. Cooper, executive producer of SCI FI Channel's original
                series Stargate SG-1, told SCI FI Wire that the upcoming eighth
                season will wrap up a few things. "To a certain extent I hope that
                fans will feel that at the end of this season that a lot the threads
                and storylines that ... they want to see resolved will be resolved,"
                Cooper said in an interview on the show's Vancouver, B.C., set.//

{snip}

//In response to a question about whether the upcoming season will be
                the show's last, Cooper said, "We also are not going to completely
                end the show. We never wanted to end the show. Our intention was to
                leave it open so that SG-1 was still out there on adventures and also
                leave the door open for features or TV movies or direct-to-video
                movies or whatever, that sort of thing, so that the franchise will
                continue." Stargate SG-1 returns with a two-hour season premiere at 9
                p.m. ET/PT July 9.//

My feelings on this are that RCC is saying the S/J ship 'will' be
                resolved. I felt the way he worded it - "To a certain extent I hope
                that fans will feel that at the end of this season that a lot the
                threads and storylines that ... they want to see resolved will be
                resolved," - was a way of hinting about the S/J storyline,
                since 'that's' the most talked about 'wanting to be resolved'
                storyline there is. Also, his quote - "We also are not going to
                completely end the show." - gave me the impression that certain
                things about the show would be handled/resolved, but the basic
                scenario wouldn't: Sg-1, missions, the gate, so on. Jack could retire
                by the end of season 8, be with Sam, but 'still' be brought back when
                the movie(s) come about. At least that's the impression I got from
                his interview. I read their words used *very* carefully now, because
                I feel they're wording their interviews as such.<g>

Sally
                I just read this on the S/J list and I wondered if you would post it here too. I'm glad you did because I think we all really needed to get an optimistic spin on this quote. Thank you, Sally!
                ((((((((((((((((((Sally))))))))))))))))))
                Tasha
                JSDT's Sam and Jack Support Site

Thank you, Nikkirose!

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar
                  Well, I am going to answer you in this way. Jack was getting ready to Shoot the woman he LOVED. Laria had *feelings* for Jack. But He had only been there for 100 days. Jack had a relationship with Sam going on 4 years.
                  How do we know she doesn't love Jack? There are people who have only known eachother a month and get married and have successful marrages. She could very well love him.

I'll even go so far as to say that I think Jack holds a special place in his heart for Laria. However I don't think he was ever in love with her.

Plus the other villagers were returning and you can't tell me that there wasn't one single man in the bunch for her to try to have a life with.
                  Then why hadn't she done that already?

So I see a HUGE difference here in Jack's reason for a moments hesitation versus Laria's.
                  They both hesitated, they both put other people's lives at risk by hesitating, they both hesitated for the selfish reason that they didn't want to loose the person they loved. I'm not seeing much difference.

This argument makes a nice change from what we've been discussing for the last few months, I think I'll prolong it a bit.
                  ~BCM =)

Comment

ship daddy,
                    jack hesitated for a split second before quickly ending the life of the woman he's in love with. possibly the love of his life!
                    laira hesitated for several hours, while the best friend of the man she supposedly loved was buried under solid naquadah, hanging on (literally) for his life! she left him there, slowly dieing. that cruel, heartless woman.

there's yer difference right there buddy!

Comment

lorelei, sally. you've succeeded in making me slightly more positive than i once was.
                      i hope you're happy

(seriously though, thanks )

Comment

Originally posted by Liebestraume

Ohhh, can I play, too? <------ not big Laira-fan
                        You don't need to ask, the question was open to all... maybe I should have made that clearer.

In addition to what Tame said, I think the whole build-up about Laira has been that she is (or, rather, supposed to be) a strong and giving woman. We saw her in one ep and that's all we knew about her prior to the ending. So, her hesitation is especially disappointing because it means she was entertaining the possibility of leaving her people stranded on Earth (and Endoran families separated) in order to keep Jack stranded on Endora with her and for her -- this is not strong nor giving.
                        But hasn't Jack suffered momentary lapses? Wasn't Jack's judgement impaired even just the slightest bit when he hesitated to shoot Sam in Entity? 95%+ of the time we see Jack doing Right and Good, and 95%+ of the time we see Laira doing Right and Good. We're all human and occasionally we all have lapses, it's what we do in the end that counts, and in the end she did the right thing.
                        ~BCM =)

Comment

Originally posted by GoneShippin'
                          LOL!! Then Jack and Sam turn on Maybourne, "What do you mean?" Maybourne replies, "An idiot could see you two have the hots for each other, do something about it. Never thought I'd see the day when you'd let a little reg get in the way of something you really want, Jack". Jack reconsiders shooting Harry.....

Boy, TPTB could give us some UST, some RST, AND some really funny scenes if they only tried!!
                          Di
                          ROFL!!! I can actually hear Maybourne saying this...
                          Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
                          Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
                          Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                            ship daddy,
                            jack hesitated for a split second before quickly ending the life of the woman he's in love with. possibly the love of his life!
                            laira hesitated for several hours, while the best friend of the man she supposedly loved was buried under solid naquadah, hanging on (literally) for his life! she left him there, slowly dieing.
                            But a split second when he only had 1 is a lot of time. A couple of hours when you have several is about the same percentage. Their hesitations were equal in that they resolved their internal conflict within the "alloted" time and still have time to take decisive action. I see both of them hesitating for selfish reasons, they both don't want to loose the person they love. However both resolved to do the right thing, and they did despite the pain it ultimately caused them.
                            ~BCM =)

Comment

But hasn't Jack suffered momentary lapses? Wasn't Jack's judgement impaired even just the slightest bit when he hesitated to shoot Sam in Entity? 95%+ of the time we see Jack doing Right and Good, and 95%+ of the time we see Laira doing Right and Good. We're all human and occasionally we all have lapses, it's what we do in the end that counts, and in the end she did the right thing.
                              Of course our feeeeeeeeeeelings make us do stupid things; chances are, my distaste for Laira is imparing my reasoning as we speak.

Although Jack and Laira both "suffered momentary lapses," I think the key difference lies in the cause for the said lapse. Much of Jack's life has been spent trying to protect his team, and here he has to kill one of his own. So, the worst one can say about his motivation is that he is, perhaps, a little selfish because he loathes to sacrifice his friend's life -- or, the life of a woman he loves but knows he cannot have -- in order to secure the base. In any case, his primary concern is for Sam, not for himself. This is in direct contrast to Laira, who knew Jack might choose to leave if given the option. By trying to take that choice away from him, she showed her concern was only for herself.

ETA - And, in the end, not only what we do counts. Why we do it counts even more, IMHO.
                              Last edited by Liebestraume; 23 June 2004, 09:50 PM.
                              In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

How do we know she doesn't love Jack? There are people who have only known each other a month and get married and have successful marriages. She could very well love him.
                                Well since we have no *real* knowledge of the depth of Laria feelings we *assume* that she definitely had *feelings* and she wanted to act on them with Jack. I do think she was very attracted to him and the situation worked in her favor.
                                I'll even go so far as to say that I think Jack holds a special place in his heart for Laria. However I don't think he was ever in love with her.
                                I agree with you here. I think Jack had resigned himself to the fact that he was NOT going home and was about to move on with his life. I think he was also attracted to Laria as a woman and as the old saying goes "If you can't be with the one youlove, love the one you're with"
                                Then why hadn't she done that already?
                                We don't know that she hadn't. The man that could have been courting her could have been one that was helping people get thru the gate and was stranded on earth. She may not have *had* any agreement with any man, but that doesn't mean that another man wasn't interested in her as well.
                                They both hesitated, they both put other people's lives at risk by hesitating, they both hesitated for the selfish reason that they didn't want to loose the person they loved. I'm not seeing much difference.
                                I firmly believe that Laria's hesitation was A LOT longer than you think. It seemed to me in the show she heard the talking and the time lag was quite a bit. That Teal'c was close to being out of air at teh time that Jack got to him. I got a sense of urgency at that point in the episode. It looked to me that Laria waited until after dinner to tell Jack. Whereas Jack took a few moments to assess the situation, deal with the fact that he was about to shoot and possilbly kill the woman he loved.
                                Now you can argue that Laria had no idea that she was putting lives in danger and I would agree, but it is that aspect of her person, that ability to be that selfish that coloered her character. Even though she did the right thing in the end. She tarnished herself.
                                This argument makes a nice change from what we've been discussing for the last few months, I think I'll prolong it a bit.
                                me too
                                Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Working...
                                X