This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deevil
    You know, I was just thinking of Mitchell in Stronghold, and was wondering if maybe him running off to get Teal'c had less to do with his hot headed self, and more to do with his need to save a friend (or a potential friend, which ever way you want to look at it), when there is one dying he cannot save back home.
    I'm not wild about Stronghold. I thought they way they wrote Mitchell saying he was a hothead and rash was clunky and actually not accurate, since a hothead is someone with a short temper. But I agree with you about the running to the ship part of the ep with Mitchell. I saw it as him trying to save one friend when he couldn't save his other friend. And somehow, his impulsiveness helped him do that, though I still think that part of the ep was just really poorly written.

Comment

You know, I was just thinking of Mitchell in Stronghold, and was wondering if maybe him running off to get Teal'c had less to do with his hot headed self, and more to do with his need to save a friend (or a potential friend, which ever way you want to look at it), when there is one dying he cannot save back home.
      You know, that was my take on that scenario too. He did say to Landry (when he said that it would be understood if Mitchell wanted to sit this one out) - simply... 'It's Teal'c'. I really feel these two have an understanding and shown progressive bonding towards real friendship... it's not just Teal'c's value, it's become really personal for Mitchell - as I believe all his team members have to him. I feel the whole mirror-imaging of the A and B storylines are to emphasise that growth of team and yes, Mitchell really did feel he couldn't lose two friends at once and even if he couldn't save the close friend back home (that was out of his control. He'd tried, by ascertaining that he'd recieve the best possible medical chance), he'd do all he possibly could to save the other.

Comment

I do agree them saying he was a hothead just felt wrong. He doesn't seem to have a temper to warrent such a statement. But impulsive and possibly rash I could definatly go with.
        Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

I have to say...I really like Mitchell, and I was expecting to hate him...He has a lot of potential, but the writing for him really could be better.
          sigpic
          Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

I really like the character of Mitchell, but it does take time to place a new character within a group of long established ones, and have the guy fit in immediately.

"Off the Grid' was a poor episode all the way around, and Mitchell's dumb actions were just one part. Every season has a couple "dog" episodes and I consider this the winner for SG1. Everyone seemed to be a sandwich short of a picnic in this one.

In "Stronghold" Mitchell make a remark about what a hothead he is, but people frequently sell themselves short, especially in situations where they have no control and feel helpless. I bet Mitchell isn't the hothead he considers himself to be. We haven't seen anyone else refer to him as rash or out of control. I'm sure more of this will be explored next season.

The Grandma stuff I actually enjoy. It gives a sense of "family loyalty" to him. We've seen Mitchell with his crippled father, and he talks about his grandmother. Being a good southern boy, it fits. My hubby is a good southern boy and talks about Granddaddy and Gran all the time, in fact they are discussed just as much as mom and dad.

Mitchell's mother was only mentioned once and I get the impression she "left" or died. With the father in his condition, it would make sense for Mitchell to be close to a grandmother - more like a mother, IF that was the case, although since we know so little about his mother, that would just be speculation.

Ben Browder is doing a good job with the character and I'm sure now that he has had some time in Mitchell's skin, that he will have more to contribute to the writers. . if they bother to listen.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Well, it's funny you say that, FP. You say it takes time for a new character to fit in etc, but Jonas slotted in, despite the same misgivings that fans had. I remember browsing these forums before season six started and hearing all about "Jona$$" as the fans dubbed him. In fact, I feel it's been almost the opposite. A lot of fans were excited about having such an established actor on the show, although a little dubious about the "Fargate" thing. Well, we couldn't really be worried about the character because we didn't know a whole lot about the character. Actually, we still don't. And now we're left saying things like "well, it takes time to adjust to a new character". Well, we've had one whole season, and a season is all we had for Jonas. I know which I'd rather have in the show right now
              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

i wish i could like mitchell. i really do, because right now he's basically ruining the whole show for me. i don't mind immature frat-boys that can't control their emotions on missions and respect their teammates. i mind them when they're put in charge of a flag-ship team.
                he's so uneven and contrived, it feels like i'm forced to like him, and its making me hate him more. every immature or inappropriate joke leaves me wondering how i would feel under his command. Or more accuratly how pi$$ed and scared i'd be at him, and how there's no way that guy deserves to be CO of SG-1.
                and when he's not telling immature and inappropriate jokes, he looks unevenly written, and it feels like TPTB are trying to tell you how great a leader his is, but its not upheld in the next scene.
                I really wouldn’t have minded the character if he was written like the guy he is (minus the he’s the perfect CO bits), and made a major/captain under carter. I’d also have liked to see a learning curve, and some serious lectures for stuff like OTG, stronghold, CD, and AM, and anything I’m forgetting. Heck, he feels so fake that its hard for me to take ANY of his skills seriously, including ones that he could well have.
                sigpic
                "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

LOL@ Fargate! Never heard that one before *headdesk*

I like Mitchell, I think TPTB are doing a great job with him. I do think that they were probably trying to make him feel like Jack, but I think he has his own sarcasm and his own way in being funny... I like how he was a little developed (ahem, developed A LOT compared to others ) And I hope to see more backstory on him in the future.

Comment

I'm one who never cared much for Jones. *puts on bulletproof vest*, but I watch those episodes - I like him in the episodes, but he just never rang any bells for me. I've taken to Mitchell much easier, but I liked BB in "Farscape" and was looking forward to his appearance.

I do agree with Paradox - I don't like the idea of two Lt. Colonels on the same team with a civilian and an alien (Jackson and Teal'c). Something about that just doesn't feel right and it might have been better to make Mitchell a Major instead. That would have prevented the "who is in charge" arguments as well.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
                      I just wanted to respond to this. I don't agree at all that it's obvious that Mitchell was originally written as a major. As far as I can see, that's just fannish speculation. And I totally don't agree that he doesn't come across as a lt colonel with a quirky sense of humor. In fact, that's exactly how he comes across to me.

The funny thing is there was a piece of marketing early on which referred to the newcomer "Major Cameron Mitchell".

We should remember, though, that a major isn't that junior an officer. Sam started at the SGC as a Captain, a rank below. It shouldn't be possible to tell that much of a difference anyway in the behaviour of a character, unless he were a very newly promoted major.

If there was a difference of approach to be determined in the writing, it would have evolved around the "is the new male character on the show gonna lead SG-1 or what?" It is odd that someone decided to make Cameron exactly a Lt. Colonel like Sam - and neither a lower rank which you'd expect a new SG-1 rookie to be, nor the full Colonel that you'd expect O'Neill's replacement to be; not even a newly promoted full colonel.

All that aside, the Cameron of Avalon comes over as mature and level-headed and professional, like we'd expect a Lt. Colonel to be, and has a history of "excellent leadership" apparently. It's towards the middle of the season, and the low-point that is Off the Grid (things have improved since), that you might speculate a script had been pitched for "Major Mitchell" instead - except that it wouldn't explain why Lt. Colonel Carter, Dr Jackson and Teal'c let Major Mitchell have his head in a bad plan.

Nah, something funny happened early on, but I'm not sure exactly what it was.
                      scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
                        [COLOR="DarkRed"]

The funny thing is there was a piece of marketing early on which referred to the newcomer "Major Cameron Mitchell".

We should remember, though, that a major isn't that junior an officer. Sam started at the SGC as a Captain, a rank below. It shouldn't be possible to tell that much of a difference anyway in the behaviour of a character, unless he were a very newly promoted major.
                        I had heard that the Scifi site had written "Major Mitchell" once, and that's it. Honestly, it was probably a simple mistake by the person who updates the web page. There's no way of knowing why Mitchell was referred to a major one time and a lt. colonel every single other time. Personally, I think the mix-up was too minor to give it any attention. And you certainly can't draw any conclusions from it.

If there was a difference of approach to be determined in the writing, it would have evolved around the "is the new male character on the show gonna lead SG-1 or what?" It is odd that someone decided to make Cameron exactly a Lt. Colonel like Sam - and neither a lower rank which you'd expect a new SG-1 rookie to be, nor the full Colonel that you'd expect O'Neill's replacement to be; not even a newly promoted full colonel.
                        I suspect TPTB thought Ben Browder was too young to be a full colonel and a lt. colonel was the highest rank they could give him. Also, I believe one of TPTB said that by making Sam and Mitchell the same rank they didn't have to hear either of them refer to the other as "sir" the way Sam had to do all the time with O'Neill.

All that aside, the Cameron of Avalon comes over as mature and level-headed and professional, like we'd expect a Lt. Colonel to be, and has a history of "excellent leadership" apparently. It's towards the middle of the season, and the low-point that is Off the Grid (things have improved since), that you might speculate a script had been pitched for "Major Mitchell" instead - except that it wouldn't explain why Lt. Colonel Carter, Dr Jackson and Teal'c let Major Mitchell have his head in a bad plan.
                        I blame Allan McCullough (?). He's a new writer, and other than his scripts, Mitchell is the same mature, level-headed guy in the second half of the season that he was in the first half. Take The Scourge, Ethon, Camelot, Crusade, Collateral Damage, TFH2, and Ripple Effect. In all of these, Mitchell was just fine. AM wrote OTG and Stronghold. He also wrote Arthur's Mantle. Personally, I think Mitchell is fine in Arthur's Mantle, but I know that his going off to help Teal'c bothers some people. Notice the pattern with who wrote those eps.

And in addition to blaming AM, I blame RCC for not being a good showrunner and making sure Mitchell was consistent.

Comment

I DON'T like him. I am the kind of fan that doesn't look for background or character development in order to like a character. I either like the character as they are presented and PRESENT THEMSELVES or I don't. I have also never agreed with the idea that actors are at the mercy of scripts. Perhaps in movies where it is a one shot but certainly not in TV series. Something about him just doesn't fit. It's like no one can make up their mind about him. That said I didn't like him at the beginning of the season nor at the end so inconsistent writing doesn't play a part for me. I don't think we should have to give it more time, or have additional background or have better consistent writing. Liking a TV character is like choosing a friend. We take to some people and not to others. We don't need excuses or reasons. I hope they stop trying to make him the central character because it's ruining any hope I have in enjoying the show again. (aside from the eps with Jack...now him...I like)

Comment

I think it was both. It makes sense that he would have a great need to be able to save someone after he couldn't save his friend in the hospital. But, they telegraphed the hotheadedness so obviously in the episode, not to mention his friend (who I am again tempted to refer to as Dead Meat) tell him that it's okay to be like that, sometimes beneficial.
                            I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                              I think it was both. It makes sense that he would have a great need to be able to save someone after he couldn't save his friend in the hospital. But, they telegraphed the hotheadedness so obviously in the episode, not to mention his friend (who I am again tempted to refer to as Dead Meat) tell him that it's okay to be like that, sometimes beneficial.
                              I'm trying to remember the Antarctica scene in Avalon - did they telegraph Cameron's go-in-and-at-'em approach as being key to saving SG-1?

I'll re-watch when I get a moment.
                              scarimor

Comment

what i like about him?

that he came in with humility instead of the 'look, me boss, baskin my greatness and follow me'
                                that he has a fun attitude and the ability to lighten things up

what i don't like

that he's a total flake at times. Beyond the 'originally conceived as major mitchell' thing, which i've heard too, this is supposed to be a crack pilot, leader of his squadron....and he has the responsiblity of a 10 year old. They're not on a field trip to the local museum, they're going to other planets in life and death situations, so why doesn't he ACT like it? If he's supposed to be the boss, well act like a boss. Not like a hyper active 14 year old who just ate a whole package of Peeps.

the incessant 'my grandma' or other such quips.
                                i'm sure they're meant to develop his character, but all they seem to accomplish is to use the character as another chance to insert another fun quip.

so, while he's a decent enough character, as a leader he bites most of the time. He has no idea what he's doing, larks about as if he's on a sunday afternoon trip to the zoo, and lets the people in his command - the ones he's supposed to be responsible for - bail him out when he keeps letting his enthusiasm over ride his common sense.

I do think he could have been better served as a Major. If he wasn't the boss, then his larking wouldn't be as much of an issue. But, for whatever reasons, he was made the boss, then someone forgot to tell the writers that he was the boss, so he doesn't act like it.

that uneven writing is the biggest fault of the character
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X