Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anti-Vala thread - For complaints about the character ONLY!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by esoap524
    There was a character like that in Farscape too, coincidentally.
    Randomly quoting one to cover all.

Yes, there is a character like that in pretty much every sci-fi show (and a number of other genres).
    BUT half the job of a competent writer is to take a cliché is to make it something new, something special.
    It's easy to take a cliché and come back after x weeks of writing with a cliché, but it takes talent to come back with something interesting and "human".
    This talent is something sorely lacking at the moment IMO.

I'm not saying it should be Firefly, but if Stargate had half the wit of that show then it'd be part way back to the quality it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
      esoap524 said: Okay, this isn't o/t but I just had to say--a steady dose of Claudia Black each week totally works for me.

I don't feel too offended by these anti-vala posts. Even Claudia Black herself said that Vala was best taken in small doses and that a little went a long way (think it was in the most recent SG1 magazine).

Yeah. I read that article a few days ago, and I have to wonder if that isn't mostly based upon how she's seen fans react to her character. Just like AT talks about the ship (she kinda goes back and forth) and the mistakes her character makes, I think CB was acknowledging the fact that fans don't adore her - that, in fact, fans don't like her at all. The very fact that she said "small doses" makes me believe that.

And I feel bad when actors feel like they need to do that. I mean, no matter how many times we say, "It's Vala, not Claudia," or, "I don't like Sam; I like Amanda," it's gotta be a bit annoying/disheartening/frustrating. How can they not, even a little bit, feel like it's a reflection on them? And I'm not saying that they don't open the door when they go into that field of work or that they shouldn't have tough skin, because they most certainly do. But fans - especially cult fans - can be as unbelievably brutal as we are loyal. I don't envy them AT ALL.

I think you're right about an actor's take on what people say about the character. They are responsible for ultimately bringing the character to life.

I know in the past she's described the character as being like a naughty kid who says what other people might be thinking and that it's fun to play the character. Given the character she last played--yeah, Vala would be a lot more fun because she doesn't have to carry the drama and angst of a romantic arc.

I don't envy them either--we fans are a crazy lot I'm on the loyal side myself--Claudia Black could read the phone book and I'd probably buy the tape to hear it--LOL! (or is that fanatically rabid?)

Comment

Hi

For all of you who dislike Vala, I ahve a top 25 women of stargate poll. Vala is currently ranked very high. If you have disagreements about who the top 25 are voice them here

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=16929
        Every Tuesday General Hammond gets alittle touch up on his dome. I say, "General Hammond, alittle off the top today?"

Top 25 females of stargate

Top 25 males of stargate

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=21105

Comment

Originally posted by GenHammondsBarber
          Hi

For all of you who dislike Vala, I ahve a top 25 women of stargate poll. Vala is currently ranked very high. If you have disagreements about who the top 25 are voice them here

Won't matter, the Vala fanatics will vote multiple times until she wins.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
            Theres a person like that in every sci fi show. Its a Cliche.

I dont want Stargate to emulate any show. I want Stargate to be Stargate. It has always been the best episodic Scifi show on TV as far as I am concerned.
            There has been so much series that it is difficult to be original today.
            You are bount to have things that are already done in other show to some extend.

Stargate might have some storylines or aspects that you can find in other shows, but that goes for almost every show that is made today.
            Non Fui, Fui, Non Sum, Non Curo

Comment

Originally posted by Xenan
              There has been so much series that it is difficult to be original today.
              You are bount to have things that are already done in other show to some extend.

Stargate might have some storylines or aspects that you can find in other shows, but that goes for almost every show that is made today.
              Especially genre shows. I think you can easily compare CSI to L&OVU. Both are good shows, but fans of both have mentioned seeing CSI copy SVU. It's difficult, I'd imagine, to create something that has NEVER been done before.

Comment

though I must admit I am not a fan of the Vala Character I do understand that the writers wrote her part the way they wanted it to be. I honestly believe that her character and Sam's character could work well together. It is just the way they brought her to the SG. It just doesn't hold any credability and that I do truly take issue with. They are always spouting realism so why were they so lacks on this character. Oh well that's the way it goes in tv (fantasy)land.

Comment

*mod snip of quote*
                  Well, there are people that disagree and they are free to state their opinion.
                  MHO Vala is a disgraceful character, the type of character that Stargate has avoided, thus making it the best scifi show on TV.
                  Last edited by kiwigater; 21 January 2006, 06:15 PM.
                  Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Well, there are people that disagree and they are free to state their opinion.
                    MHO Vala is a disgraceful character, the type of character that Stargate has avoided, thus making it the best scifi show on TV.
                    I second this opinion.

Comment

Let us all hope that somehow this character is killed off before season ten even starts!

Comment

Sadly since the season 10 ep1 spoilers are already out... we know that wont happen.

BTW there is another an Anti-Vala thread here:
                        http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=15322

Its a protected thread so you can state your opinion without having to defend yourself continously... well not much anyway

Comment

The character is so damn annoying! She needs to die!

Comment

Originally posted by npattis
                            The character is so damn annoying! She needs to die!
                            Would have even been better had she never existed at all.

The shame of it all is the actress playing her can do so much better... just watched pitch black today (the character she plays dies in that movie BTW so you may want to check it out for fun). And she was great on farscape too, she played the supercool serious character until the show went ultra-shippy but then thats what that show was. I always thought stargate was better, not sure why they want to emulate a lesser show.

Comment

Would have even been better had she never existed at all.

The shame of it all is the actress playing her can do so much better... just watched pitch black today (the character she plays dies in that movie BTW so you may want to check it out for fun). And she was great on farscape too, she played the supercool serious character until the show went ultra-shippy but then thats what that show was. I always thought stargate was better, not sure why they want to emulate a lesser show.
                              I agree with you completely

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                                My opinion on wanting to see an end to the vala character is because of what the character has done to the show (along with some of the other things TPTB have done). This is just another example of how TPTB have taken a once strong, well written sci-fi drama and turned it into an everyday tv series just like hundreds of others. IMO, vala is a caricature character just like so many we see in sci-fi tv and movies and Stargate is capabale of more than that (we saw it for 6 1/2 years before they went off the track). Now, with vala, the train is at the bottom of the ravine, IMO. This is where TPTB have taken the show - it is no longer different, or unique, or the type of drama that held my interest, it is typical, pandering and waay to much of the same thing we get on many other channels. If you like characters like vala that's great - there is a lot to choose from - but if you don't and if you liked Staragte for what it was - there isn't much, if anything, left to choose from on tv or in movies these days . . . .
                                I agree with you completly. They have taken a show that had a unique formula and characters and suddenly stuffed as much clichès as possible in it (and I mean not only Vala but the whole Ori/ascencion/King Arthur plot, too). I wish I could understand why. The show had worked for 8 years without someone like Vala (or maybe because there was nobody like Vala?) so why suddenly now? I doubt I will ever understand it.
                                Last edited by phoenixblue7500; 21 January 2006, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X