This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dream-a-Little
    That's true. And if we can't have a BB script straight up and uncensored then I'd rather not have one at all, especially with these writers doing the rewriting.
    Especially after what they did to MS's script! I'm sure Ben saw the commentary on that ep and said, "no way in hell I'll let them do that to me." I have no prospect of writing for them, but I wouldn't want to, just because of that!

Comment

Plus, can you imagine Browder's brain on Stargate?

Consider the two scripts we've seen:

1. A jealous spaceship tricks and tries to kill one of its passengers.

2. Human and alien get stuck in a video game.

Of course maybe that was because it was Browder's brain on FarScape --and Stargate would be different?

Nah. Considering Stargate already did one of those plots...

Comment

...Great interview, BB's always are, but of course I like that last line here the best! Whatever RC and BW's purpose was at the beginning of the season, I hope that it's been accomplished and that's the end of it. Otherwise, I think sword fighting Mitchell needs to pay a visit to the writers' room!
        Yes, I have great hopes for more Mitchell in the second half of the season...
        STARTING TONIGHT!!!

Or sword-fighting Mitchell AND sword-fighting Mitchell-fans will be visiting the writer's room!
        Last edited by ChillinTheMost; 06 January 2006, 03:48 AM.

Comment

And also from the GW interview:

So probably never any BB written Stargate eps. These writers seem far too territorial to "invite" an actor to write something. Oh well, I guess we can't have everything.
          Chris Judge has written for Stargate though, so they aren't unaccommodating - Joe Flannigan has also developed & cowrote one of S2 Atlantis. I guess they've just got to like the story idea. It's possible in S10 or 11 they may ask, when Ben's got the feel of all the characters.

Comment

That's true. And if we can't have a BB script straight up and uncensored then I'd rather not have one at all, especially with these writers doing the rewriting.
            Have to also agree with you and Shards. Ben's proven he is a gripping, intelligent writer and it's part of his work ethic and his artistic perfection that he wants the finished result to be his work. As we know he's very good at story scripting and progressing the characters, it'd be a crime for anything less than 100% Browder.

Comment

Originally posted by Neelan_Liquor
              Loved the Beer Day comments, too. But what I appreciated most (about the video) was that they credited the questions to the people who asked them. The credits at the end listed everyone who sent in questions for Ben, whether they actually used them in the interview or not. Plus... they used two of my piccies with him.

Only 24 more hours!!!
              Even more reason I hope you get the file saved OK Neelan. It's such a keeper... and so very personal for the fans involved. What a wonderful idea of David & Gateworld.

Comment

Especially after what they did to MS's script! I'm sure Ben saw the commentary on that ep and said, "no way in hell I'll let them do that to me." I have no prospect of writing for them, but I wouldn't want to, just because of that!
                I haven't heard the commentary on that... which episode was it Neelan? I've only got the DVDs to S5 so far. What happened? As it's on the commentaries could you answer here? If not, please PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
                  Yes, I have great hopes for more Mitchell in the second half of the season...
                  STARTING TONIGHT!!!

Or sword-fighting Mitchell AND sword-fighting Mitchell-fans will be visiting the writer's room!
                  LOL! Just what they need - another set of disgruntled fans! But, I'm so there... they've employed a fantastic actor that they really should make use of - dammit!

Comment

Plus, can you imagine Browder's brain on Stargate?

Consider the two scripts we've seen:

1. A jealous spaceship tricks and tries to kill one of its passengers.

2. Human and alien get stuck in a video game.

Of course maybe that was because it was Browder's brain on FarScape --and Stargate would be different?

Nah. Considering Stargate already did one of those plots...

Ben's previous work was in keeping with Farscape's offbeat imaginative tone and to an audience that was drawn to that kind tone.

Also from the GW interview:

There's things I learned on Farscape that I was able to use in Stargate, and there are other things that quite frankly I wouldn't begin to touch using because they're different shows, and because the culture and the people who make them are different people.
                    He always seems to be a very, very perceptive person. He seems very aware that this show is structured differently and that its audience is different. I think that anything he wrote for this show would be geared toward this audience, so I doubt you would get something quite as funky as what he wrote for Farscape. (And even the two scripts he wrote for Farscape, I think, each had a different feel to them.) Although I am quite certain that many Stargate fans would panic if you told them he was going to write something for the show. (Insert they're turning it into Farscape wails here.)

I know when pressed by another interviewer on what kind of show he would write if given the opportunity, the answer he gave was a team show. It's ironic, but I think you might actually get something from him that would make some of the old timers far happier than what the current writing staff has been giving them. Just as an actor can play many different roles, I think a writer can write many different types of stories. I think he really would write Stargate and not Farscape, but probably better Stargate than what we have been getting. That's provided of course, that it didn't get run through the TPTB "creative" sieve.
                    Last edited by Dream-a-Little; 06 January 2006, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kas
                      I haven't heard the commentary on that... which episode was it Neelan? I've only got the DVDs to S5 so far. What happened? As it's on the commentaries could you answer here? If not, please PM me.
                      I haven't heard the commentary on that either. What did happen?

Comment

Ben's previous work was in keeping with Farscape's offbeat imaginative tone and to an audience that was drawn to that kind tone.

Also from the GW interview:

He always seems to be a very, very perceptive person. He seems very aware that this show is structured differently and that its audience is different. I think that anything he wrote for this show would be geared toward this audience, so I doubt you would get something quite as funky as what he wrote for Farscape. (And even the two scripts he wrote for Farscape, I think, each had a different feel to them.) Although I am quite certain that many Stargate fans would panic if you told them he was going to write something for the show. (Insert they're turning it into Farscape wails here.)

I know when pressed by another interviewer on what kind of show he would write if given the opportunity, the answer he gave was a team show. It's ironic, but I think you might actually get something from him that would make some of the old timers far happier than what the current writing staff has been giving them. Just as an actor can play many different roles, I think a writer can write many different types of stories. I think he really would write Stargate and not Farscape, but probably better Stargate than what we have been getting. That's provided of course, that it didn't get run through the TPTB "creative" sieve.
                        Oh, I know Ben would actually write a great show for Stargate and that what he wrote for FarScape was geared toward what FarScape is. It was just me being silly in my excitement of waiting for tonight! Of course, if I can't wrestle the big screen away from my boyfriend tonight, I won't see it until some other time during the weekend, but I'll see it soon!

Comment

From the Seatle Times:-

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/television/2002722870_scififriday06.html?syndication=rss
                          Former "Farscape" star Ben Browder (Lt. Col. Cameron Mitchell) and "SG-1" veteran Michael Shanks (Dr. Daniel Jackson) are developing some fun on-screen rapport, but side stories involving principals Amanda Tapping (Lt. Col. Samantha Carter) and Christopher Judge (Teal'c) aren't as memorable. And some of the episode's scenes seem unnecessarily corny and contrived.

Click link above for the whole article covering Atlantis and BSG
                          Last edited by Kas; 06 January 2006, 07:06 AM.

Comment

From the Chicago Times:
                            http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/arts/chi-0601050245jan06,1,2072985.story

"Stargate SG-1" and "Stargate Atlantis," 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. Friday, Sci Fi: The best part of "SG-1's" return, in which the team fights a plague unleashed on Earth by the evil Ori, is the subtle comedic interplay between new cast member Ben Browder and "SG-1" veteran Michael Shanks

Click link above for mention of Atlantis and BSG

------
                            I'm really liking the sound of this more and more. Going to love seeing this friendship develop further. Nice to see Daniel getting a pal of equal age.
                            Last edited by Kas; 06 January 2006, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Wow, it's sounding better and better, Kas! I was figuring tonight's episode was just a means to get to next week's promising episode, but now I'm hopeful for some Mitchell goodness tonight - and some great Mitchell/Jackson interaction!!!

[I was worried that tonight would only have Mitchell reporting in wearing the hazmat suit all night.]

Comment

Wow, it's sounding better and better, Kas! I was figuring tonight's episode was just a means to get to next week's promising episode, but now I'm hopeful for some Mitchell goodness tonight - and some great Mitchell/Jackson interaction!!!

[I was worried that tonight would only have Mitchell reporting in wearing the hazmat suit all night.]

That's kind of how I saw it too! More than glad to be proved wrong though! Perhaps we will get more Mitchell/Daniel interplay in this half of the season than I had anticipated. And it sounds that what we do get may be quite good. I understand that TV guide has next weeks episode as a recommended one. Which I thought was quite lovely too!

Comment

Working...
                                X