This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dream-a-Little
    ...Cameron - a man of faith (although not necessarily any one organized religion) who believes and nothing that the universe throws at him will dissuade him. Because, paraphrasing here, just because the ancients live on a higher plain of existence doesn't mean that there isn’t something even higher up than them.
    I like this. I think what we've seen supports it, too. Like someone [was it you?] mentioned earlier, he can be cocky because he knows nothing the priors or any argument can throw at him will shake his faith. Faith just is. It can't be debated or reasoned, proved or disproved. The priors can throw every magic trick in the book at him and he won't be swayed in his belief of the higher power that he already believes in. Logic will make him wary of the power of the "magic" of the Ori, but will not shake his own fundamental belief system.

Comment

Good point Chillin, I hope they make something of that in the series. It would be great story for Cameron.
      Join the Ori War Today.Join Now

Comment

I also love the "Indiana Jones" parts of Avalon I and II], mostly for the Mitchell/Jackson interaction. Oh, yeah, and I LOVE how uncomfortable Jackson was in the leathers while Mitchell seemed totally at ease.
        I love the "Indiana Jones" parts too. I know that some fans don't like the sword fighting scene. But I'm a huge fan of both Indiana Jones and the Mummy and I really love those scenes. They're done with humor and they're consistent with the level of expertise that someone might reasonably have today with broadsword fighting. No amazing superman kind of stuff. (Although I could have done without the special effects slow motion bit they added in. I thought the fight scene was great without it.)

Maybe some fans just don't consider that kind of thing strict sci fi, but I think it's just plain fun. Judging from the box office for Indiana Jones and the Mummy, a few other people like that kind of thing as well. I'd put Ben up against Harrison Ford or Brendan Fraiser any day.

As to the leather, well Ben's had a bit more practice with that than MS.

The scene between Mitchell and Daniel later in the treasure room is still my favorite scene of season 9 so far. Just perfectly played IMO.

Comment

Actually I'm not so sure that they won't go the conflict route in the end with Cameron and Daniel. And I think I am more interested in seeing the on screen dynamic between BB and MS than between Mitchell and Daniel. I think they'd challenge each other as actors and that's always a good thing.

Also looking forward to exploring what both BBs say is a foster father type relationship between Landry and Mitchell. Why was it so important to Landry that Mitchell lead SG-1? I mean other than that's just the way the writers wrote it of course.
          I do like the dynamic between BB and MS and I really hope the writers can get this dynamic right - kinda brothers, kinda rivals, also let BB and MS push each other farther.

Laundy and Mitchell will also be good especially if they go with the Lam and Cam used to date a long time ago back story. Does this make Cam the son he never had? Does he want him back together with Lam? Or is it the father issue where Cam had a lousy father (I still thinking abusive) and Laundry want to try to get the father thing right with some one else. Lots of good potential there.

Sam and Cam worry me but I am the anti-shipper and I don't think TV writers can write a male/female relationship as purely being friends and only friends with no sexual tension, no power struggle, no hint of any that crap they usually bring to the table.
          LONG LOST TWIN SISTER OF PURPLE

Comment

Want to take bets on how long it takes that to actually become a thread topic?
            Nope, sucker bet. I would pay good money to see Ben and Wayne in the hunted/hunter dynamic again. I always liked Scorpius (it is that angst thing again)

Comment

Originally posted by esoap524
              I think this will be angst-lite. If you're looking for FS sized angst, I just don't think you're going to find it here. However, you are going to see more of Ben and that's always a good thing.

But, as my daughter pointed out, what is it with Ben and chairs?
              Chairs are evil because they hid that glorious tushy (at least that is my opinion)

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
                I'd, also, like to see Sam and Mitchell interact. I think it would be great if the show expands upon the friendship they alluded to in the first eps and that Sam and Mitchell become even greater friends. I don't know how good Amanda is in judging how well they work together, either, but one thing I've learned from years of FarScape viewing: Ben has incredible chemistry with almost everyone - especially women. Not just romantically, but also as a friend, a big brother, a role model, and even someone to be respected and feared.

Maybe they won't take it anywhere this season, but I do hope they address it in great detail sometime. I think they work well together. Watch them in The Ties That Bind. The way they constantly look to see how the other is reacting to a situation is great. TTTB isn't considered one of the better episodes to many people, but I just loved it. It's my favorite so far [although I also love the "Indiana Jones" parts of Avalon I and II], mostly for the Mitchell/Jackson interaction. Oh, yeah, and I LOVE how uncomfortable Jackson was in the leathers while Mitchell seemed totally at ease.
                I want a good, humorous explanation why Mitchell is so comfortable in leather - that is the kind of backstory I could get into. (What, I have been busy thunking and it is hard to get out of that mode)

Comment

Oh, that's great! I never thought of that!!!

I've been reading up on this angst problem you seem to have.
                  Maybe I should call someone?
                  I have an idea!
                  We'll just feed her obsession!!!
                  Hee, I love when people enable my obsessions

Comment

I like this. I think what we've seen supports it, too. Like someone [was it you?] mentioned earlier, he can be cocky because he knows nothing the priors or any argument can throw at him will shake his faith. Faith just is. It can't be debated or reasoned, proved or disproved. The priors can throw every magic trick in the book at him and he won't be swayed in his belief of the higher power that he already believes in. Logic will make him wary of the power of the "magic" of the Ori, but will not shake his own fundamental belief system.
                    I just love that line - FAITH JUST IS. I really hope they go this direction with Mitchell because it makes such a nice contrast with Daniel and Sam who would try to reason it out or explain it. Nope, faith is where you believe even if you don't understand all of the whys, hows or what nexts.

Comment

Mitchell should get lots of time to interact with his team members. We know about them, now we've got three new characters, use them as a catalyst to make them a true part of the show not a filler. This goes double for Cameron. He's already turning out to be great with Daniel, Sam, Teal'c and him share an interesting friendship, and even Vala had a few moments with him. (Hey, Farscape fan here!)
                      Join the Ori War Today.Join Now

Comment

I love the "Indiana Jones" parts too. I know that some fans don't like the sword fighting scene. But I'm a huge fan of both Indiana Jones and the Mummy and I really love those scenes. They're done with humor and they're consistent with the level of expertise that someone might reasonably have today with broadsword fighting. No amazing superman kind of stuff. (Although I could have done without the special effects slow motion bit they added in. I thought the fight scene was great without it.)

Maybe some fans just don't consider that kind of thing strict sci fi, but I think it's just plain fun. Judging from the box office for Indiana Jones and the Mummy, a few other people like that kind of thing as well. I'd put Ben up against Harrison Ford or Brendan Fraiser any day.

The scene between Mitchell and Daniel later in the treasure room is still my favorite scene of season 9 so far. Just perfectly played IMO.
                        I don't think some of the fans get that about Ben's acting. He is not doing an outstanding sword fight because his character would not know how to sword fight. Just because his character can't do something well doesn't mean the actor is doing something badly - he is just in character
                        Last edited by gbbarb; 04 January 2006, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gbbarb
                          I don't some of the fans get that about Ben's acting. He is not doing an outstanding sword fight because his character would not know how to sword fight. Just because his character can't do something well doesn't mean the actor is doing something badly - he is just in character
                          That's an excellent point. People criticize the actor when the actor is ACTING! LOL It happened to Ben on FS. When he first started on the series, critics said Ben was uncomfortable in a scifi environment, and Ben would respond and say, no, Crichton is uncomfortable in his environment. LOL The same thing happened when Crichton put on an English accent. Because Crichton is an astronaut and not an actor, Ben had him not be very good at his accent. BUt everyone criticized Ben for not being able to do an English accent very well. Geez! LOL It seemed pretty obvious to me that the character was trying to use the accent.

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
                            That's an excellent point. People criticize the actor when the actor is ACTING! LOL It happened to Ben on FS. When he first started on the series, critics said Ben was uncomfortable in a scifi environment, and Ben would respond and say, no, Crichton is uncomfortable in his environment. LOL The same thing happened when Crichton put on an English accent. Because Crichton is an astronaut and not an actor, Ben had him not be very good at his accent. BUt everyone criticized Ben for not being able to do an English accent very well. Geez! LOL It seemed pretty obvious to me that the character was trying to use the accent.
                            Hee, I guess this means people are used to bad acting and don't recognize exceptional acting when they see it. Sigh, Ben is just too good for these people

Comment

I'd put Ben up against Harrison Ford or Brendan Fraiser any day.
                              Me TOO!!!

hehehehe

Yeah, but I like the Prototype scene ("hey, new guy!") and the Ties that Bind stuff, too! LOTS! It's fun to watch them play. (And I think it irks MS that Ben has so much fun when the camera's NOT rolling, too!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by gbbarb
                                I don't think some of the fans get that about Ben's acting. He is not doing an outstanding sword fight because his character would not know how to sword fight. Just because his character can't do something well doesn't mean the actor is doing something badly - he is just in character
                                Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
                                I wish there was someway we could get these two posts to run like those little strips of news at the bottom of the TV screen on all upcoming Stargate episodes.

I think unfortunately a lot of people are more used to or comfortable with the cool hero who never breaks a sweat and can do anything and everything bigger and better whether or not it makes any sense for him to be that way or to be able to do the things he is doing. More cartoon than character. I don't think a lot of critics really expect actors to actually act in sci fi. And unfortunately some Stargate fans would seem to prefer a stereotype rather than something more human.
                                Last edited by Dream-a-Little; 04 January 2006, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X