Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First, kudos to your list of favorite things. I believe The Sound of Music would have had a much different song had FarScape come out before TSoM did.

Originally posted by Dream-a-Little
    The early episodes are very much Rockne's version which was a much more conventional sci fi concept. As Rockne stepped back you can see the Kemper and Browder influence kick in and move the show in a much more edgier, adult, cutting edge direction. Interesting enough Rockne would co-write an episode called Bone to be Wild as the second to last episode of season one and to me it felt totally out of place here. It probably would have played quite well in the first part of the series, but at this point the whole feel of the show had moved away from Rockne's original vision of it that I always felt it seemed jarringly out of place.
    Interesting idea that BTBW felt out of place because of the "feel" of it. I know a lot of fans felt that it was out of place between N/HM and FT because it broke up those episodes, and while the pacing was mentioned, it seemed more that it could/should have happened on either side of those episodes, not necessarily during the earlier part of the season. I'll have to think about it more, but it is interesting. On initial thought, it seems that most stand-alone episodes [inasmuch as FarScape still has tie-ins in these eps] may have the "earlier" feel and I wonder if I'm thinking that way because the arc is so involved and intertwined. Hmmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
      Interesting idea that BTBW felt out of place because of the "feel" of it. I know a lot of fans felt that it was out of place between N/HM and FT because it broke up those episodes, and while the pacing was mentioned, it seemed more that it could/should have happened on either side of those episodes, not necessarily during the earlier part of the season. I'll have to think about it more, but it is interesting. On initial thought, it seems that most stand-alone episodes [inasmuch as FarScape still has tie-ins in these eps] may have the "earlier" feel and I wonder if I'm thinking that way because the arc is so involved and intertwined. Hmmmm...
      I agree pacing was an issue, but even if you had put it before or after it still would have felt wrong to me anywhere after AHR. For me it always felt like they flipped the channel back and forth between the beginning and the end of season one here. I don't get that same feeling with any of the other later stand alone episodes. Just this one in particular. Although the earlier part of the series was more stand alone in nature which goes along I think part and parcel with the more conventional or maybe commercial sci fi aspect. I don't get that same feeling with later stand alone episodes. Some I liked and some I didn't, but to me they all seemed to fit where they were. I don't get that same channel flip feeling. JMO

Comment

Fractures, Ben's acting without words, the ability to convey that much emotion without saying anything.

Nerve and Hidden memory for all his scenes in that prison cell. And his interactions with Gilina on the base

His conversation with Crais outside that cell in Family Ties.

Won't Get Fooled Again is the kind of performance that would have won him an Emmy nod if it had been in anything but sci fi.

All his scenes as
        Spoiler:
        Scorpius-Chrichton
        in Die me Dichotomy. But particularly the "you are so my girl scene."

His breaking the news/goodbye scene with Pilot in Lambs to the Slaughter.

Unrealized Realities

Every scene with Harvey.

Ben's ability to generate chemistry with a wide variety of actor's with a wide range of acting styles even when those "actors" weren't human.

Ben's ability as a writer to create a voice for Talyn that was as real and as poignant as the voices he was writing for his human actors in Green Eyed Monster.

These are a few of my very favorite things.

Ditto.

Ben had wonderful chemistry with Wayne Pygram. John and Scorpious were so bound together and Ben and Wayne were so good playing off each other.

Spoiler:

I loved WWL when John had to deal with being raped and the way he sat on that rock and wrapped his arms around himself and the way one foot was on top of the other. So powerful and not a word said. You felt his misery and grief at what had been done and his powerlessness to do anything about it.

Ben and David had a vision for Farscape and they did a wonderful job. Ben didn't have a problem getting into a screaming match with David and vice versa. They were perfect together. And I hope they get to work together again soon.

Sybil

Comment

To answer the question several posts before this -- I came to Stargate1 on a serious (tape it if not home) weekly basis because of Ben and Claudia. I had watched SG-1 but never really got into it until Season 9.

I'm so delighted to see folks here at GW finding Farscape because of Ben and Claudia. Farscape (IMHO) is like an 89 episode (Seasons 1-4 + PKWars) visual book. Instead of picking up a good scifi book, you put in the DVDs (or tapes) and immerse yourself. And I found it be such a "page-turner" that I couldn't stop once I started watching. I even skipped all the "extras" just to get to the next episode. Sometimes I would look up at the clock and its 4 AM and I feel like Rygel's candy addiction at Halloween -- give me more, more, more.

And I was so happy and gratified that TPTB kept the continuity right. For instance, what will happen in a 1st season episode is referenced (correctly!!) in a Season 4 episode.

I read that Ben and Claudia carefully plotted out their roles so they knew exactly where their characters stood in relation to each other at all times, throughout the whole series. Amazing attention to detail.

Farscape is a rarity in the SciFi world. It grabs you, won't let you go, and then almost demands that you see it all again (and again and again).

And best of all, I discovered one of the most incredible actors I have ever seen, Ben Browder.

Comment

Hey, thanks everyone! I watched the first two episodes of FS last night and loved it. Unfortunately, my local Blockbuster only has the disk I watched last night and the best of season 1 (which I'll be getting soon!).

Comment

Originally posted by scifi woman
              To answer the question several posts before this -- I came to Stargate1 on a serious (tape it if not home) weekly basis because of Ben and Claudia. I had watched SG-1 but never really got into it until Season 9.

I'm so delighted to see folks here at GW finding Farscape because of Ben and Claudia. Farscape (IMHO) is like an 89 episode (Seasons 1-4 + PKWars) visual book. Instead of picking up a good scifi book, you put in the DVDs (or tapes) and immerse yourself. And I found it be such a "page-turner" that I couldn't stop once I started watching. I even skipped all the "extras" just to get to the next episode. Sometimes I would look up at the clock and its 4 AM and I feel like Rygel's candy addiction at Halloween -- give me more, more, more.

And I was so happy and gratified that TPTB kept the continuity right. For instance, what will happen in a 1st season episode is referenced (correctly!!) in a Season 4 episode.

I read that Ben and Claudia carefully plotted out their roles so they knew exactly where their characters stood in relation to each other at all times, throughout the whole series. Amazing attention to detail.

Farscape is a rarity in the SciFi world. It grabs you, won't let you go, and then almost demands that you see it all again (and again and again).

And best of all, I discovered one of the most incredible actors I have ever seen, Ben Browder.

I so agree with everything you said above SciFi Woman. I just finished season 1 for the 2nd time and am just completely blown away how incredible the show was and what talented actor Ben Browder is. It is a show like you said that warrants you watching it over and over again. I am another that started watching SG1 because I knew Ben was coming on board and was excited about seeing him bring his stuff here. I am so looking forward to this Friday's epsiode.

It's great there many are discovering Farscape becasue of Ben and Claudia. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you give the show a chance. The whole cast and crew ensemble were just incredible, have never seen anything like it. It truly rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by eirenne
                I so agree with everything you said above SciFi Woman. I just finished season 1 for the 2nd time and am just completely blown away how incredible the show was and what talented actor Ben Browder is. It is a show like you said that warrants you watching it over and over again. I am another that started watching SG1 because I knew Ben was coming on board and was excited about seeing him bring his stuff here. I am so looking forward to this Friday's epsiode.

It's great there many are discovering Farscape becasue of Ben and Claudia. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you give the show a chance. The whole cast and crew ensemble were just incredible, have never seen anything like it. It truly rocks!!
                Enjoy your second pass through; I can remember how much I savored my 2nd pass through the series (sigh of contentment) -- you'll be amazed at all the new things you pick up on.

I am now looking forward to Oct 3 when the SG-1 Season 9 DVDs are out -- there are some really great Ben eps that I can hardly wait to see without commercials and with commentaries (Babylon, Collateral Damage and of course The Ties That Bind)

Comment

Originally posted by scifi woman
                  I am now looking forward to Oct 3 when the SG-1 Season 9 DVDs are out -- there are some really great Ben eps that I can hardly wait to see without commercials and with commentaries (Babylon, Collateral Damage and of course The Ties That Bind)
                  Ripple Effect, Ripple Effect!
                  Spoiler:
                  Mitchells, Mitchells everywhere!
                  And Tree Ferrets! Also an Introduction to Ben as an extra I believe!

This has to be the worlds longest wait between an airing of a show and the DVD release. Or maybe it just feels like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasusc
                    Hey, thanks everyone! I watched the first two episodes of FS last night and loved it. Unfortunately, my local Blockbuster only has the disk I watched last night and the best of season 1 (which I'll be getting soon!).
                    Hey, Sascusc, if you want to see Farscape, Netflix was how I saw all the episodes in a row (until I could afford the Starburst editions - the last of which will be released in October).

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
                      it's more that he's a little jealous of my obsession with Ben.
                      I'd be jealous, too, if I was your boyfriend.

Originally posted by Sasusc
                      A quick question: Who's here a fan of Cameron because of Farscape? I was just wondering. I rented the first episode today of FS (haven't watched it yet!) and was wondering if most people who were fans of FS likes Cameron mostly because of FS.
                      Other way around, for me - I was watching Season 9 with a friend who was a Farscape fan... and when we finished, he introduced me to Farscape.

Comment

I am a fan of Cammie's because I am a Scaper. Farscape introduced me to people who actually know how to act....

Comment

ShardsofGlass posted a link to a new Ben interview over in the news section.

Ben was his usual warm, charming, articulate and diplomatic self. I'd love to be that blanky!

Enjoy!

http://eclipsemagazine.com/modules/n...p?storyid=1739

Comment

Ben was his usual warm, charming, articulate and diplomatic self. I'd love to be that blanky!

Enjoy!

Does it have a lot of season 10 spoilers?

Comment

Thank you for the link, Dream-a-Little! Why oh why did they have to stop the interview there?

BTW I've just caught up with the thread after finally seeing Uninvited. I'm actually not as impressed with the episode as I thought I would be. I enjoyed seeing Mitchell out of uniform and in more casual situations. But personality-wise Crichton, heart-on-his-sleeve gives me so much more than Mitchell the adrenaline junkie... This is nothing against Ben, I think I just enjoy watching characters like Crichton more and I'm just realising that. Also, this is the first time that I've crossed over to another show from one where I became really attached to a character and it's a weird emotional process

But anyway, yay for a Mitchell-centric episode with character development and civvies! And Sasusc, don't forget to tell us what you think of the Farscape eps!

Enjoy!

Last edited by andi_b; 16 August 2006, 10:06 AM.

Banner by *E*K*R*

Comment

Here is the AOL clip for 200

http://television.aol.com/feature/stargate-sg1-tv

Comment

Working...
                                X