No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The black dress was NOT on duty. AT's private life is her own. I have no objections whatsoever to her showing a bit of skin. But, the difference being SAM and ON DUTY. I guess I didn't make that distinction well enough.
    sigpic

Comment

Well, it wasn't really in Sam's spare time either. Looked to me like she was on downtime as it was all about promoting the Air Force/SGC in TRNT.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
        The black dress was NOT on duty. AT's private life is her own. I have no objections whatsoever to her showing a bit of skin. But, the difference being SAM and ON DUTY. I guess I didn't make that distinction well enough.
        I would say she was on duty in TRNT, because she was all but ordered to show up at the event, and I imagine she was provided with that dress by Presidential staff, since he was showing her off to the country. So, in essence, she was on duty in those scenes.

As for the pirate/smuggler outfit, she was on duty there, too -- on a mission. And was wearing what was provided to her to use in the cover story, which was assumably approved by General Landry or his higher ups.

Comment

see, and that's my complaint. I find it rather gratuitous to suddenly put Sam in a sleazy outfit in Season 9. It wasn't necessary for 8 years before, why at this time? Sam went on dozens and dozens of missions. She dressed in native garb for some of them, but it was never considered necessary for a U.S. Air Force officer to appear as some sort of sex object.

By the way, I just read the transcript from The Road Not Taken. No where does it even suggest that she was "all but ordered to attend" or that she was "provided" with a dress, or that there was any sort of "cover story" involved. She had just saved the planet. The Stargate program had been revealed years before. There was no need for a cover story.
          sigpic

Comment

I think the point is that suddenly, in these later seasons, Sam is now showing a lot more skin than she would have previously. Then again, this is also when we get a female alien join the flagship team, who doesn't wear regulation BDUs.
            Personally, I hated both the pirate costume and the low dress. It just doesn't fit my own view of how Sam would dress.
            sigpic

Comment

No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
              It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

see, and that's my complaint. I find it rather gratuitous to suddenly put Sam in a sleazy outfit in Season 9. It wasn't necessary for 8 years before, why at this time? Sam went on dozens and dozens of missions. She dressed in native garb for some of them, but it was never considered necessary for a U.S. Air Force officer to appear as some sort of sex object.

By the way, I just read the transcript from The Road Not Taken. No where does it even suggest that she was "all but ordered to attend" or that she was "provided" with a dress, or that there was any sort of "cover story" involved. She had just saved the planet. The Stargate program had been revealed years before. There was no need for a cover story.
                It is assumed the President ordered her to show up, because for her not to do so would likely have gotten her in a lot of trouble, which she was trying not to get into. So she followed along with what he wanted.

As for being provided with the dress, I really doubt that AU Sam had a dress like that hanging in her closet, and I doubt that Sam was given access to AU Sam's clothing to borrow, and I don't think she went out and bought it on her own since she wouldn't have had any money with her when she landed in that reality. So it had to come from somewhere and I assume it was from the Presidential staff. And I never said anything about there being a "cover story" in this scenario.

I clearly said the "cover story" was related to the mission where they were wearing pirate/smuggler's outfits.

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                  I think the point is that suddenly, in these later seasons, Sam is now showing a lot more skin than she would have previously. Then again, this is also when we get a female alien join the flagship team, who doesn't wear regulation BDUs.
                  Personally, I hated both the pirate costume and the low dress. It just doesn't fit my own view of how Sam would dress.
                  Exactly.

Completely agree with the idea that the dress was provided for her hedwig. It makes no sense she bought it herself.

There's a scene in SGA from the same year that says it all to me. McKay is complaining that his hallucination of Sam isn't dressed provocatively, he asks why she hasn't taken her top off. 'Because you know I wouldn't be in to that' his hallucination replies. Even McKay knows she doesn't like flashing the flesh, and his own hallucinations won't be untrue to her.
                  Last edited by neverendingimagination; 12 August 2013, 02:35 PM.
                  Don't get it right, get it written - Unknown, they haven't decided who said it first
                  If you want something in life, you have to work for it

Turn off lights not in use, buy local produce where possible, recycle all you can. Help save YOUR planet.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                      It is assumed the President ordered her to show up, because for her not to do so would likely have gotten her in a lot of trouble, which she was trying not to get into. So she followed along with what he wanted.
                      That's a big assumption. Why is it difficult to believe that she would enjoy a social occasion?

As for being provided with the dress, I really doubt that AU Sam had a dress like that hanging in her closet,
                      why not? Our Sam did in her closet for down time. Just as low-cut.

and I doubt that Sam was given access to AU Sam's clothing to borrow, and I don't think she went out and bought it on her own since she wouldn't have had any money with her when she landed in that reality. So it had to come from somewhere and I assume it was from the Presidential staff.
                      Again, why assume that she *wasn't* given access to either "her own"/AU Sam's clothing, or that she chose that dress for herself from a selection of options?

I don't mean to be argumentative, but I'm just seeing a different point of view here.
                      sigpic

Comment

I don't mean to be argumentative, but I'm just seeing a different point of view here.
                        Given how you are demanding an explanation for my opinion, it certainly sounds argumentative. Why don't we just leave it that we have a big difference of opinion, which you aren't apparently willing to allow. I don't have to defend my opinion to anyone, or debate the issue (which it seems you might want to do given the tone of your comments), and I'm not demanding that anyone else explain themself either.
                        Last edited by hedwig; 13 August 2013, 06:07 PM.

Comment

I didn't demand an explanation. And I did say we have a different point of view. Consider the matter dropped.
                          sigpic

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X