Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
    Unless, required for a role as she did in Sanctuary.
    Pretty sure she only sat on it then - it was definitely a double in a wig doing the riding.
    Don't get it right, get it written - Unknown, they haven't decided who said it first
    If you want something in life, you have to work for it

Turn off lights not in use, buy local produce where possible, recycle all you can. Help save YOUR planet.

Comment

A little thread spamming in an effort to make sure folks aren't caught off guard this weekend

Heads up re the next Server Move:

Estimated downtime will be 3-4hrs between the 11th and 14th of October.
      Changes to DNS settings will be nearly instantaneous for most of us, but propagation (ie reconnection to the new server address) may take hours,or as much as 24-48 hours to reach everyone, since it depends on your ISP.

If there are any changes to that schedule,or any other info,we'll try to let you all know in advance via the Ask the Mods thread ,this thread ,the Alphasite and/or GW Twitter.

Thanks in advance for your patience!

Feel free to pass the info around.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the review Lucy.

I am also not too crazy about the Teal'c part of the episode. I think the problem is that they all seem to retread the same ground.

CJ really is hanging from those shackles. He wanted to do those scenes without a harness so that he could feel pain and discomfort to enhance his performance.

The guy who played Terok was so in character in the audition all the PTB were terrified; they weren't sure whether he was crazy or just really good.

I do enjoy the mine story with the rest of the team. It's like dad is taking his daughter, her boyfriend and her best friend on a fun little field trip.

I like how Jack keeps trying to assert control. Selmak starts to ask Sam to come with them on this mission and Jack throws a temper tantrum about wanting all the mission details or they aren't going anywhere. It struck me how interesting that scene is because Jacob is Sam's dad and a two star general (retired), but Jack is like you aren't taking her anywhere without my permission. Now of course Jack is her CO so he does have a say in her movements, but really her dad's got to be thinking I can just go over your head. Instead he humors Jack. Again and again.

They also have a real heart to heart about the sacrifices they both understand when a greater mission is on the line.

I think Jacob likes and respects Jack and so puts up with his antics.

I think likewise, Jack gives Jacob a hard time while having a great deal of respect and fondness for him. When the one long shot to save Teal'c requires some very fancy flying, Jack hands the controls right over to Jacob.

Best Line:

Sure you got everything?
        Wanna try to reprogram that mine without the proper translation?
        Thought of a laptop?
        Well, I had one, I just couldn't get Beck's Ancient Phoenician Symbology on CD at archaeology.com, so…

I love the way Sam and Daniel work together within their different fields of expertise.

And the whole team argue as one to save Teal'c. They are always their best when they are saving each other.

Ship-wise Jack really is cute in this ep. It almost seems like he's trying to get Sam's attention most of the time. He doesn't want to be left behind. He's constantly hovering around and over her, sometimes really close.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
          Um, Janet and Sam are both military. Daniel is the only civilian that goes to Egypt and he has 3+ years (not counting his time on Abydos) of off-word missions under his belt by now. Teal'c isn't military, so the only addition would have been Jack if you need to have more military personnel present. Besides, Jack and Teal'c were in Minnesota so Sam, Daniel and Janet would have had to wait for them to get to an airport, get a commercial flight/military transport and reach Denver or wherever before they could all go to Egypt. Or perhaps they could have met up in Egypt. Either way, it would cause a few hours of delay and considering Osiris was already gone they had to catch 'him' as fast as possible.

I actually liked that for once Jack and Teal'c sat out a mission and instead we saw more of Janet and Sam in action.
          Hmm, perhaps a wrong choice of words - by Military I meant non-science types like Jack & Teal'c. Not that I thought that Sam was incapable of heading this up, but Sg1's greatest strengths come from everyone having their role - Sam's is the techno-whiz. It's hard to concentrate on defense AND gadget fixing at the same time!

And by Jack and Teal'c getting recalled - the minute they knew there was another Jar those two should have been recalled - before the decision to go to Egypt - that would have left them with enough time to meet up. Or if not Jack and Teal'c, SG3 or whoever was on base for backup.

And while I like seeing more Janet and Sam in action as well, I just felt it was oddly paced. Why did they send Janet?

Comment

Chain Reaction

Air date: January 5th 2001
            Written by: Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie
            Directed by: Martin Wood

Summary:

Under heavy fire, SG-1 have a close call returning from their latest mission. Weapons fire pours into the gate room, but General Hammond goes against procedure to keep the gate open for them. Later in the briefing room, General Hammond tells them that he's tired of sending good people out and not knowing if they are coming back, and surpises everyone with the news that he is retiring. Jack doesn't seem convinced by the General's farewell and approaches him in his office to question him further. The message is clear though, General Hammond is leaving and nothing Jack can say will make him change his mind.

The SGC awaits its new General, Major General Bauer. He seems to have his own agenda and promptly starts dismantling SG-1 by first re-assigning Sam to work on a new naquadah-enhanced bomb, and giving Daniel a desk job. We catch up with Jack who confronts the new General about the dismantling of his team. He doesn't mince his words when voicing his anger and frustration with the current situation and is commanded to take some time off to think things over.

Jack goes to visit Hammond, still not convinced of the reasons he gave for stepping down. He informs Hammond of what's been happening in his absense and we also find out that Teal'c has been re-assigned to SG-3. Jack's gut instincts prove correct however, when Hammond reveals the real reason for his retirement: his grand children were threatened and he was blackmailed by the NID. Jack quickly takes on his own mission to rectify the situation, starting with a visit to someone who worked with the NID – his old friend Harry Maybourne.

Back at the SGC, Bauer is revealing more about himself and the attitude he has for the personnel under his care, sending SG-3 to an extremely hostile planet to retrieve more naquadah for the bomb Sam is still working on. He also gives Sam the test site for the bomb – a planet which currently supports both plant and animal life. Major Waite is killed and Lieutenant Morrison is injured during the mission to retrieve the naquadah but all General Bauer seems to be interested in is if they managed to bring back enough naquadah to go ahead with the weapon test.

Jack calls in a favour with Air Force One to have Maybourne released to assist him with tracking down the men responsible for the threats to General Hammond. Together they visit a safehouse of Maybourne's where he still keeps a computer which he believes will help them get the information they need. However, Maybourne has already been locked out of the NID's systems and is being tracked. Jack spots the NID agents in time to get himself and Maybourne out of the apartment and ambushes the driver of the NID vehicle. They manage to get away, but have to rethink their approach, and Maybourne suggests another option.

In the meantime, Sam is preparing the bomb to go through the gate when Daniel discovers that there is an old naquadah mine on the planet and there are traces of naquadah in the soil. Sam quickly sees the possible danger in continuing with the test as the bomb might react with the remaining naquadah on the planet. It becomes clear that Bauer already knew this and has been consulting with his own supposed experts. Sam is extremely angry but follows his orders and the detonation goes ahead with disasterous results. Massive amounts of radiation comes through the wormhole and Sam orders the base to evacuate when they can't shut down the gate. All they can do is close the iris and hope that the gate will shut down by itself.

Jack and Maybourne pay a visit to Senator Kinsey who is having a big party. They manage to blag their way in to talk to him, but when Kinsey doesn't play ball, Jack pulls a gun on him while Maybourne hacks into his computer and finds out that Kinsey is linked directly to the threats on Hammond. This infuriates Jack and he and Kinsey trade barbs, Kinsey revealing his real motives and opinions. Maybourne makes copies of the evidence and Jack blackmails Kinsey into getting Hammond re-instated. Just when everything seems to be going Jack's way, they notice NID agents pull up outside, but Jack has a plan, and he takes out his cell to make a call.

At the SGC, Daniel and Teal'c wait with Sam as she and the General observe the status of the gate. Their only hope is that the gate will shut down at the 38 minute window. When the counter exceeds 38 minutes, the General goes to leave, but the wormhole disengages shortly afterward. The General apologises to Sam, but the damage is already done.

Back at Kinsey's house, we see that Jack has called the press, making it impossible for the NID to grab himself and Maybourne. They make their getaway.

Everything is finally back to normal, with General Hammond re-instated. Jack again visits the General, but is keeping his mouth shut about what he got up to. The phone rings and it's Maybourne wanting to speak with Jack. We find out that he's escaped and is living it up on what looks like an island. Jack tells Hammond that he might have to buy back his soul some day for his deal with Maybourne.

General:

I love Jack-centric episodes. This one is a really good earth-based political/thriller/mystery story, balanced nicely with the difficulties the team are going through back at the SGC.

I really liked seeing Jack commanding, not only his team, but all the other personnel at the SGC when they are waiting for Bauer to address them for the first time. We get a very good reminder that he is the General's 2IC. No one but the General ranks higher – which makes Bauer's dismantling of his team without talking to him all the more disrespectful. To me, this is a clear signal that Bauer is not an ethical man, and is also possibly easily threatened as he quickly antagonises and dismisses the only officer on the base that could potentially question him. I see a lot of parallels between Bauer and Kinsey. They're both delusional, self-involved, self-entitled and underhanded.

This is also one of those episodes when we don't see goofy Jack. He is all business – and I like that. Jack looks quietly dangerous and intense throughout the episode (RDA's acting is so subtle and effective). His attitude is perhaps a glimpse of who he used to be and we're reminded on two occassions by Maybourne of the type of work Jack used to do as a Special Ops Colonel, so they certainly do seem to be trying to put emphasis on his past.

I also really loved Sam's attitude in this. She's not normally so aggressive with commanding officers, but she makes herself heard in this episode, even if her military training does win out in the end. I loved when she took over and commanded the base to evacuate when the gate wouldn't shut down. It looks like our Colonel's behaviour is rubbing off a little bit on her.

Oh, Jack is such ridiculously wonderful eye-candy that the more camera time he gets, the happier I am. *shameless*

For me, this episode is a 10/10.

Shippy-ness:

Not much in this since there is very little interaction between Jack and his team. Jack opts to call Daniel when he's off with Maybourne. Sam doesn't even appear to ask about Jack, but maybe she just knows he's out there trying to make it right. At the very beginning in the briefing room, when Hammond tells them he's stepping down, Sam looks at Jack. She doesn't look around the room or at Daniel or Teal'c. She throws Jack this very meaningful look. I interpret the look this way: she wants to see what his reaction is, but it's also a questioning look, so perhaps she's wondering what he's going to do about it. And she knows he will do something about it.

Favourite scenes/lines:

This episode is very dialogue heavy, so there are loads that I liked, but these are the ones that stood out for me the most.

: On Chulak, when a great warrior retires from the field of battle it is custom to sing a song of lament. Fortunately we are not on Chulak.

: General, I realise the format of my reports is of vital importance and if you'd like, some day we can get together and talk about fonts and margins, but right now I like to discuss the fact you're dismantling my team without discussion.
            BAUER: General Hammond might have allowed you a certain latitude in his presence, Colonel, but you'd do well to watch your tone with me.
            : You know, General Hammond kept us together for a reason. The fact is if it wasn't for SG-1, right now you'd be sitting there with a snake in your head instead of your head up your ass…
            MAYBOURNE: I know you've got a strong stomach, Jack. I've read your file.
            : Now what does that have to do with anything?
            MAYBOURNE: You want to help General Hammond, you're going to have to get your hands dirty. I need to know you're going to see this thing through.
            : Under no other circumstances would I sit here and watch you eat.
            KINSEY: How dare you come into my house waving a gun?
            : Not waving. Pointing. Sit down.
            : I'll give you a choice: white meat or dark meat?
            BAUER: Well, there's no point staying here. I'll inform the President from the surface.
            : Yes, Sir, I'm sure it'll be much safer up there.
            : General, about what you owe me?
            : Anything I can do.
            : Well, nothing right now. But one day I may ask you to…buy back my soul.
            Last edited by Starship Trooper; 11 October 2013, 04:03 PM.
            sigpic
            sig by Jper

"It's just a little airborne... It's still good, it's still good!"

Comment

Chain Reaction was definitely one of my favorites.

Comment

yet i ever wonder if George ever "bought back" Jack's Soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                  Maybe he paid his debit removing Sam from Jack's chain of command after Threads
                  sigpic
                  My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Thanks for the excellent review

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                      I've read a fic where HAmmond helps Sam and Jack to be together and tell Jack that the debt was repaid - can't remember the title

Comment

Great review! I also love this episode because it shows the darker side of the military/government and how fortunate we are that Hammond is (normally) in control of the base and that (most of) the people at the SGC are honorable and have good intentions.

Can't green you unfortunately, so here's some virtual green! SJ_green.gif
                        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Samantha-Carter-is-my-muse View Post
                          Thanks for the excellent review
                          Great review! I also love this episode because it shows the darker side of the military/government and how fortunate we are that Hammond is (normally) in control of the base and that (most of) the people at the SGC are honorable and have good intentions.

Can't green you unfortunately, so here's some virtual green! [ATTACH=CONFIG]38724[/ATTACH]
                          Thanks guys! I really wanted to review this episode as I like the conspiracy stories.

And you're absolutely right fems - this one is a bit dark and sinister.
                          sigpic
                          sig by Jper

"It's just a little airborne... It's still good, it's still good!"

Comment

*jumps right back in*

wow been a while since i've been on here! glad to be back!

i've been re watching SG-1 during my spare time (which is almost nil atm!) and i've pretty much confirmed for myself that these two, along with one other fandom are pretty much my ultimate couple XD
                            sigpic

General Of The Tesla Troopers, Proud Member of Magnett, MOP and SHIP

Comment

Glad to see you back atlantis_babe. Who is the other couple?
                              sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                              https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Can't green you unfortunately, so here's some virtual green! [ATTACH=CONFIG]38724[/ATTACH]
                                i agree, i always thought were Either Jack or Hammond actually left the SGC that it would become corrupted like the NID and when Landry (who i thought was a combination of both Hammond and O'Neill characteristics) came onboard it seems like he really held the SGC standards up to where they should be.

Comment

Working...
                                X