Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
    Good question. But even though he checked himself in, I thought they said he'd been there for 20 years. He must have had a whole lot of money to be able to stay there. I would have thought that at some point the staff would say they couldn't do anything more for him and since he was no threat to anyone, he could certainly take care of himself.
    Very true. Perhaps his paranoia was the biggest problem, he thought Daniel was a hallucination at first. If he couldn't get past that then he might have felt safer where he was.
    Don't get it right, get it written - Unknown, they haven't decided who said it first
    If you want something in life, you have to work for it

Turn off lights not in use, buy local produce where possible, recycle all you can. Help save YOUR planet.

Comment

Great review! SJ_green.gif

I agree that this Daniel-centric episode is one of the enjoyable ones, probably because we get to see so much interaction between the other three. I also love that glimpse of Hammond's view of SG-1 when he's on the phone with his granddaughter.

One thing that bothers me about this episode is that Nick obviously has mental health issues (well, not really since he turned out to be right but whatever) and yet in Legacy they imply there aren't any such issues in Daniel's family history by saying there's no schizophrenia there. Granted, Janet could have been specifically talking about schizophrenia (even though I'm not convinced that was the actual diagnosis but then we've made lots of progress with mental health disorders since that episode was written) but even then an indication of whatever it is they thought Nick was suffering from would have been worth a mention, especially with the vagueness of Daniel's condition in that episode.

While I enjoy the concept of the crystal skull(s) I do wonder why these giant aliens used a human skull to model it after if they're native to Earth and have a completely different physiology. And with them being so huge, how could they ever make such a detailed tiny skull? But hey, who knows, maybe they need a skull specific to humans for humans to be able to interact with it and they might have other skulls on other planets for other species to contact them...

I've always thought it was a shame there was never a follow-up of this episode or at least a reference to Daniel's grandfather (especially in light of how many times Daniel "died") and how he was doing and if they ever got any useful information from the giant aliens or if Nick was more or less simply vacationing there.

PS.
      Airdate: March 3, 2000
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
        Great review! [ATTACH=CONFIG]38481[/ATTACH]

I agree that this Daniel-centric episode is one of the enjoyable ones, probably because we get to see so much interaction between the other three. I also love that glimpse of Hammond's view of SG-1 when he's on the phone with his granddaughter.

One thing that bothers me about this episode is that Nick obviously has mental health issues (well, not really since he turned out to be right but whatever) and yet in Legacy they imply there aren't any such issues in Daniel's family history by saying there's no schizophrenia there. Granted, Janet could have been specifically talking about schizophrenia (even though I'm not convinced that was the actual diagnosis but then we've made lots of progress with mental health disorders since that episode was written) but even then an indication of whatever it is they thought Nick was suffering from would have been worth a mention, especially with the vagueness of Daniel's condition in that episode.

While I enjoy the concept of the crystal skull(s) I do wonder why these giant aliens used a human skull to model it after if they're native to Earth and have a completely different physiology. And with them being so huge, how could they ever make such a detailed tiny skull? But hey, who knows, maybe they need a skull specific to humans for humans to be able to interact with it and they might have other skulls on other planets for other species to contact them...

I've always thought it was a shame there was never a follow-up of this episode or at least a reference to Daniel's grandfather (especially in light of how many times Daniel "died") and how he was doing and if they ever got any useful information from the giant aliens or if Nick was more or less simply vacationing there.

PS.
        Airdate: March 3, 2000
        Thanks for the air date.

I forgot about the issues with Legacy. I'm no expert on Schizophrenia or mental health disorders, but from what I do know, hallucinations of aliens and glowing skulls certainly say there is a family history of hallucinogenic episodes. Obviously we find out those sights were true but at the time, everyone thought he was delusional.

It's interesting you mention the shape of the skull because of all the skulls found in Southern America, only the Mitchell-Hedges skull was humanoid in shape. The others had vaguely humanoid features or were bizarrely shaped, like the skull nicknamed 'ET'. Perhaps the story creators deliberately didn't address it to continue the mystery? Or they just didn't think about it. There are many details they could have touched on or explored in more detail, a follow up episode could have answered so many of these questions.
        Don't get it right, get it written - Unknown, they haven't decided who said it first
        If you want something in life, you have to work for it

Turn off lights not in use, buy local produce where possible, recycle all you can. Help save YOUR planet.

Comment

Gosh, I'm next in line for the review?!?!?!?! It's going to be a mad scramble for me to get it together, but I'll try.
          Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Great review!

Originally posted by fems View Post
            Great review! [ATTACH=CONFIG]38481[/ATTACH]
            The Stargate novel City of the Gods brings back Nick and further explores the use and history of the skulls. It's also got some great shippy moments

sigpic

----------
            FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

Originally posted by IamDKScully View Post
              Great review!

The Stargate novel City of the Gods brings back Nick and further explores the use and history of the skulls. It's also got some great shippy moments

guess i'll be going to my local B and N to see if they have that book then.

Comment

A cute ficlet about this episode
                sigpic
                My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Interesting to read about the crystal skulls and how most if not all are thought to have been created in the 1900's and early 2000's. Close examination has found evidence of modern tools used to create them. The study of the pre-Columbian times in the Americas is fascinating; in fact, a cousin of mine, now deceased, was noted as a researcher of a Mexican civilization that is not so well known as the Aztecs and Mayans, but did have some fabulous ruins.

These civilizations did some amazing things, so I can imagine that people wanted to get into the act and come up with the skulls, in whatever manner. However, it's fun to watch movies (Indiana Jones) and probably others, and episodes like SG that features them. That's why we are fans.

Comment

It was not fun to watch Indiana Jones deal with crystal skulls. That movie was HORRIBLE. We don't speak of it.

:"Hey, how did you like the fourth Indiana Jones movie?"
                    : "What fourth Indiana Jones movie?"
                    : "EXACTLY."

Sorry. That's my inner anthropologist showing. I really disliked the ending, and that Shia dude overstayed his welcome. I prefer SG-1's episode much more than I enjoyed that Indy movie.

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
                      It was not fun to watch Indiana Jones deal with crystal skulls. That movie was HORRIBLE. We don't speak of it.

:"Hey, how did you like the fourth Indiana Jones movie?"
                      : "What fourth Indiana Jones movie?"
                      : "EXACTLY."

Sorry. That's my inner anthropologist showing. I really disliked the ending, and that Shia dude overstayed his welcome. I prefer SG-1's episode much more than I enjoyed that Indy movie.
                      I have early childhood trauma issues from the first Indiana Jones movie (long story) so I have never watched any of them and I never will.

SG-1 all the way for me!

Comment

all i remember from that indiana jones movie is that it took place in the 1950s.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                          I have early childhood trauma issues from the first Indiana Jones movie (long story) so I have never watched any of them and I never will.

SG-1 all the way for me!
                          Does it have anything to do with the faces of the Nazis melting?
                          sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                          https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post

SG-1 all the way for me!
                            i still have a fear of snakes (both from Indiana Jones AND Stargate SG-1)

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                              i still have a fear of snakes (both from Indiana Jones AND Stargate SG-1)
                              Have you ever eaten snake?
                              sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                              https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
                                Have you ever eaten snake?
                                that would be a big fat NO!. but i do love Deer (Venison)

Comment

Working...
                                X