No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great review RamonaThePest. I didn't know it had been proven that talking to plants helps them grow, I'll have to talk to my pineapple plant.

hlndncr Hehehe nekkid shippers
    Don't get it right, get it written - Unknown, they haven't decided who said it first
    If you want something in life, you have to work for it

Turn off lights not in use, buy local produce where possible, recycle all you can. Help save YOUR planet.

Comment

I think I can take Deadman Switch, selene.
      sigpic
      sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
      "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Thanks for the review I watched this ep today and I liked the team work aspect and friendship between them all, I like watching awesome chick Sam working her magic. I also noticed that when Sam cut her hand, Jack was the only one who showed any concern for her. It's always Jack who checks she's okay
        sigpic
        Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

Originally posted by SGSuzi View Post
          Thanks for the review I watched this ep today and I liked the team work aspect and friendship between them all, I like watching awesome chick Sam working her magic. I also noticed that when Sam cut her hand, Jack was the only one who showed any concern for her. It's always Jack who checks she's okay
          Yeah, I started to list that as a shippy moment, but then decided he would ask after each of them because, despite his curmudgeondyness, he cares for everyone under his command and especially his team.
          sigpicRamonaThePest (you know, Henry Huggins' friend)

Comment

Originally posted by neverendingimagination View Post
            Great review RamonaThePest. I didn't know it had been proven that talking to plants helps them grow, I'll have to talk to my pineapple plant.

hlndncr Hehehe nekkid shippers
            Last I heard anything on the plant talking, science acknowledged it works but are not sure why; they hypothesize it's the carbon monoxide you're breathing directly onto them. (They just gotta take the fun out of it.). But that was a good whileago so they may have addednew info to the theory since I last heard anything about it.

Comment

Where's the list for the episode banners?
              sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
              https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

I enjoyed your review, Ramona. I actually liked this episode the first time I saw it. It's not a favorite, but I liked it.

The talking to the plants part was one of my favorites. I notice that the alien who took Daniel's knife appears to be a child. And once again, it's Sam who goes to interact with him/her(?). That seems to be a bit of a theme so far in the series.

Interesting that even Teal'c was affected by whatever was happening on the planet. Apparently, there are limits to what his symbiote can take care of.

And this is just an observation, but you referred to Daniel as "young" Daniel. Going by what we find out in "1969", he's 34 years old at the time of this episode. That isn't to say he's old, but he's no longer all that young either, even though he often acts like he is.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                  I enjoyed your review, Ramona. I actually liked this episode the first time I saw it. It's not a favorite, but I liked it.

The talking to the plants part was one of my favorites. I notice that the alien who took Daniel's knife appears to be a child. And once again, it's Sam who goes to interact with him/her(?). That seems to be a bit of a theme so far in the series.

Interesting that even Teal'c was affected by whatever was happening on the planet. Apparently, there are limits to what his symbiote can take care of.

And this is just an observation, but you referred to Daniel as "young" Daniel. Going by what we find out in "1969", he's 34 years old at the time of this episode. That isn't to say he's old, but he's no longer all that young either, even though he often acts like he is.
                  "Young" as opposed to season 9 and 10 Daniel where he's become a mature man - thicker physically; thicker-skinned emotionally. I missed the young optimistic, idealistic, sweet Daniel. IMO, everyone wanted to get into the "Jack Act" which only made me miss him and the show more. I say "miss the show" because it was no longer the show I loved once all the characters tried to be a comedy act. The reason Jack's humor worked, IMO, is that the other characters never broke. If he said something slightly cornball, Sam cracked a polite smile which struck just the right note between "gotta laugh cause you're my commanding officer" and "got a crush so think he's funny." When Jack said something hilarious, it was more for the viewing audience (unless he was baiting a goa'uld) and the surounding characters proceeded as if it was a normal statement, take my commanding officer seriously, which made the show remain serious and the military setting believable ("We're saving the world").

That's not to discount that Jack was supposed to be acerbic, hiding his dark side behind humor - it just wasn't a clown/comedy review like I felt it turned into. I've actually been able to enjoy Seasons 9 and 10 after the distance of time - but I view it as a different show. Sam, Cam, Daniel - and even Teal'c - getting in on the act. I imagine behind the scenes the writers and actors vying ove who gets the funny line in the next scene. "You got the last funny scene. You called Sam 'Mary Poppins'. It's my turn this scene!.

I guess the characters did need room to grow after 10 years, so Daniel becoming more hardened would be realistic. I just did not like the characters no longer being clearly defined but instead, all trying, unsuccessfully, to fill in the missing component that was Jack. It made me miss him more, not less.

Comment

i enjoyed daniel in bad guys when he just yells at those girls who were fighting over a guy and i gotta tell you i never seen daniel lose his temper like that. (granted they were shooting that episode when they found out they were cancel so michael shanks probably just thought "what the hell, gotta nothing left to lose")

Comment

Originally posted by RamonaThePest View Post
                      "Young" as opposed to season 9 and 10 Daniel where he's become a mature man - thicker physically; thicker-skinned emotionally. I missed the young optimistic, idealistic, sweet Daniel. IMO, everyone wanted to get into the "Jack Act" which only made me miss him and the show more. I say "miss the show" because it was no longer the show I loved once all the characters tried to be a comedy act. The reason Jack's humor worked, IMO, is that the other characters never broke. If he said something slightly cornball, Sam cracked a polite smile which struck just the right note between "gotta laugh cause you're my commanding officer" and "got a crush so think he's funny." When Jack said something hilarious, it was more for the viewing audience (unless he was baiting a goa'uld) and the surounding characters proceeded as if it was a normal statement, take my commanding officer seriously, which made the show remain serious and the military setting believable ("We're saving the world").

I guess the characters did need room to grow after 10 years, so Daniel becoming more hardened would be realistic. I just did not like the characters no longer being clearly defined but instead, all trying, unsuccessfully, to fill in the missing component that was Jack. It made me miss him more, not less.
                      Well said, Ramona. I've very mixed feelings about S9-10 but I've always thought that if I were to get into SG-1 from Season 9 onwards, I would have most likely appreciated it a lot more. After all, it had a big new enemy, a Daniel whom I thought was harder and in my opinion, more interesting but whiny and a leader who, in all aspects seemed to have a sense of humour.

But then, I wouldn't have the weight of history that's behind the characters which I so love. If collectively, they were filling in the missing component that was Jack who's truly larger than life, then the SG-1 of S9-10 were pretty much striving towards a camaraderie, a certain presence that was long gone.

Not to mention...I didn't think Landry had the genuine warmth of Hammond, nor could I really feel for Lam as the doctor.
                      Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by RamonaThePest View Post

That's not to discount that Jack was supposed to be acerbic, hiding his dark side behind humor - it just wasn't a clown/comedy review like I felt it turned into. I've actually been able to enjoy Seasons 9 and 10 after the distance of time - but I view it as a different show. Sam, Cam, Daniel - and even Teal'c - getting in on the act. I imagine behind the scenes the writers and actors vying ove who gets the funny line in the next scene. "You got the last funny scene. You called Sam 'Mary Poppins'. It's my turn this scene!.

SJ_green.gif

I felt they were trying to be humorous for the sake of being funny in the last two seasons and they were trying too hard. To me it was like SG-light instead of SG-1. A lot of the humor was also very juvenile (or sexist, when it came to Vala or Vala/Daniel) compared to Jack's sense of humor, which in my opinion is more mature and a bit darker (and much better).

It also didn't help that Sam and Teal'c were put on the sidelines, since Daniel never was one of my favorite characters (probably the least favorite, even when including Hammond and Janet) and I really disliked Mitchell and Vala...

Daniel going from geeky and slightly naive (in the way of always being optimistic rather than weary when meeting natives and getting captured etc) to GI Daniel was just unrealistic to me, though. To me it felt like MS had demanded his character be cooler or something after his return and now that Jack/RDA was gone he could get more action and screen time.

Another thing I disliked was that the military side of the show was kinda lost with Sam and Mitchell being co-commanders (as if, with two lt cols and Sam having seniority ) and everyone basically going off to do their own thing. At least with Jack and the few times we saw SG-1 in the field under Sam's command in season 8 there was a leader who people deferred to, even if they weren't all military and wanted to do their own thing. They were mostly respectful of Jack's position and experience and he was able to command the team while also letting them excel at their own thing in the field. I don't know if that makes any sense but it does to me. That was just all gone in the last two seasons and they became a merry band of travelers/explorers or something.

Originally posted by Ikorni View Post
                        Well said, Ramona. I've very mixed feelings about S9-10 but I've always thought that if I were to get into SG-1 from Season 9 onwards, I would have most likely appreciated it a lot more. After all, it had a big new enemy, a Daniel whom I thought was harder and in my opinion, more interesting but whiny and a leader who, in all aspects seemed to have a sense of humour.

But then, I wouldn't have the weight of history that's behind the characters which I so love. If collectively, they were filling in the missing component that was Jack who's truly larger than life, then the SG-1 of S9-10 were pretty much striving towards a camaraderie, a certain presence that was long gone.

Not to mention...I didn't think Landry had the genuine warmth of Hammond, nor could I really feel for Lam as the doctor.
                        Totally agree with the last part and I also really disliked the father-daughter connection (which they tried to play with in the beginning to make the audience think they were ex-lovers or something ), which is just completely unrealistic.

Not to mention the Sam, Cam and Lam thing... they could have been more creative with that.
                        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                          Not to mention the Sam, Cam and Lam thing... they could have been more creative with that.
                          What Sam, Cam and Lam thing? What did I miss or not understand?

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                            What Sam, Cam and Lam thing? What did I miss or not understand?
                            I think it's the rhyming.

I'll just say ditto to what Ramona and fems said.

Comment

Yeah, the rhyming. It just sounds silly, i.e.:

"Cam told me to go see Doctor Lam," said Sam.
                              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                                Yeah, the rhyming. It just sounds silly, i.e.:

"Cam told me to go see Doctor Lam," said Sam.
                                I guess I did notice that, but pretty much ignored it.

Comment

Working...
                                X