No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do you find those SG ribbons, Zoser?
    sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

I'm so sorry I'm late on posting my review

Spoiler:
      My little cousin went to the hospital for an emergency removal of his appendix. They were infected and luckily they were able to remove his appendix without any major issues. I kept him company in the hospital all afternoon talking about our mutual 'Fringe' obsession. Sorry if my review is terrible I was a little rushed *blushes*

In The Line of Duty

Synopsis:
      While on an evacuation mission, a symbiote takes Captain Samantha Carter as its host and makes its way to Earth in order to leave for another planet. However, the rest of the team finds out and arrests her. She tells the team that she is a member of the legendary Tok'ra and that an Ashrak (Goa'uld assassin) is sent to kill her.

Favorite Lines:

Teal'c: Are you injured?
      Jackson: Dumb question. But thank you. I think.
      Teal'c: You are welcome.
      Jackson: Just don't ever do that again.

Favorite Scenes:

JACK is sitting on one of the benches, staring off into space. TEAL'C enters.
      TEAL'C: Colonel O'NEILL.
      JACK: Thought you were helping with the sweep of the base.
      TEAL'C: I am on my way. (raises his head slightly and moves to sit behind JACK) This is difficult.
      JACK: Yeah. Yeah, it is.

SAM/JOLINAR: Let me go. (stands up and approaches the bars) Let me go through the Stargate. I will find another host and send your friend back to you.
      JACK: (stands as well) You can do that? Leave a host without killing them?
      SAM/JOLINAR: Yes. It is possible, but not easy. I could die, but I promise I will try.
      JACK: The Nasyan man died when you left him.
      SAM/JOLINAR: (closes her eyes) The Nasyan man died first, that is why I left him. He was beyond my natural abilities to heal.

JACK: You did it SAM... You won.
      SAM: (shaking her head, weak) It wasn't me.
      JACK: Oh, yes it was. You hung in there, you beat it.
      SAM: The Goa'uld gave its life for me. It saved me.
      JANET and O'NEILL look at each other as SAM rests her head once more.

General Analysis:

I love this episode! I'd forgotten how many little shippy moments there are throughout the episode. This episode is also a critical setup for a few key storylines in the season and throughout the series. The first key bit of information is about how Goa'ulds take hosts. Throughout the first season they believed that humans were taken as hosts through the back of the neck. In this episode they learn that Goa'ulds can posses their hosts through the mouth and that they'll need to do additional testing when teams come back through the gate.

One of the most interesting aspects of this episode is that the Tok'ra are introduced as a friendly faction of Goa'ulds that are dedicated to ending the terror caused by the System Lords. Teal'c admits that he has heard of Jolinar and the Tok'ra but he believed them to be a legend. While I hate some of the Tok'ra *cough* Anise *cough* I love the episodes that they are involved in. Not only do they give us a better understanding of the relationship between host and symbote but they're also involved in some very shippy episodes . This episode sets us up for the two part introduction of the Tok'ra that shows Sam's dad, Jacob taken as a host. I love that it gives Sam a chance to become closer to her father… and I love the relationship that begins to develop between Jacob and Jack, who doesn't?

While I love this episode and the episodes to come involving the Tok'ra, I did find it a little convenient that Jack has the ancient gene and Sam has the protein marker and naquadah in her blood allowing her to use Goa'uld technology. It makes for good television but sometimes it seems a little farfetched that they'd all have those abilities and be on the same time… *runs and hides before anyone can bring out the tar and feathers*

There is so much to say about this episode I know I'll forget something lol. They also talk a little about the System Lords which will become a huge problem for them throughout the next six or so seasons. Until this point they've only really dealt with Apophis and a few small interactions with other Goa'ulds. This episode also introduced the Goa'uld assassins, the Ashraks who are some of the most skilled and deadly assassins sent by the Goa'uld. Another is sent to cause a fraction between the Tok'ra and Jaffa in Season 6 Allegiance.

Sam and Jack:

This episode had a lot of little shippy moments between Sam and Jack. In my opinion Solitudes was the episode that Sam realized how much she cared about Jack when she did everything to help him as he slowly died in Antartica. While Jack has dealt with many close calls that could of ended Sam's life this was the first time he wasn't in peril and remained powerless when she was taken over by a Goa'uld and what he believed, no chance for her to survive getting it out of her.

In the beginning of the episode he's worried about her when she remains behind to tend a wounded man but as the episode progresses he becomes more upset and worried for her and her dire situation. When Cassie tells him that Sam's a Goa'uld, he doesn't want to believe it and looks devastated when its confirmed but he still performs his duties. He stays by her side and wipes a tear away when they believe that the Ashrak succeeded in killing her and Jolinar.

Not only did this episodes have some great tear jerking moments on Jack's behalf but it also shows how close SG-1 has become. Teal'c who normally is purely a Jaffa warrior admits that the situation is hard before he gives Jack advice on how to interrogate the Goa'uld not Sam, their friend.

Side Note: I'm so glad to see so many people involved in the rewatch this time around!! I'm also happy to see a lot of new faces Welcome to the forum!!!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by meredithe5 View Post

While I love this episode and the episodes to come involving the Tok'ra, I did find it a little convenient that Jack has the ancient gene and Sam has the protein marker and naquadah in her blood allowing her to use Goa'uld technology. It makes for good television but sometimes it seems a little farfetched that they'd all have those abilities and be on the same time… *runs and hides before anyone can bring out the tar and feathers*
        !
        It is a little convenient I must admit. It reminds me of the X Files when William was wanted by the rebel group because of his genes. If Sam and Jack ever had a kid it would probably be the single most valuable offspring in Earth's history to the SGC given that it would have Jack's ATA gene and Sam's naquadah - operating Goa'uld AND Ancient technology? Priceless!

Then again I suppose Sam has the naquadah *because* she was on SG-1 rather than simple coincidence. I do find it odd that both O'Neill and Sheppard, both heads of flagship teams, have the strong version of the gene.
        Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM View Post
          It is a little convenient I must admit. It reminds me of the X Files when William was wanted by the rebel group because of his genes. If Sam and Jack ever had a kid it would probably be the single most valuable offspring in Earth's history to the SGC given that it would have Jack's ATA gene and Sam's naquadah - operating Goa'uld AND Ancient technology? Priceless!

Then again I suppose Sam has the naquadah *because* she was on SG-1 rather than simple coincidence. I do find it odd that both O'Neill and Sheppard, both heads of flagship teams, have the strong version of the gene.
          Well, in case of Shep he was selected particularly for his strong Ancient gene

Comment

What about those who have the strong ATA gene. They'd still be pretty da*n valuable too!
            sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
            https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
              What about those who have the strong ATA gene. They'd still be pretty da*n valuable too!
              That is true. It would be interesting to know if they started screening all military personnel for it with a view to offering them a position within the SGC.
              Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

That is true. It would be interesting to know if they started screening all military personnel for it with a view to offering them a position within the SGC.
                That would be a *very* good idea.

Comment

It could be that the gene does pass on certain characteristics in its carriers that lead them to a predesposition to joining the military. Who knows. But yes, Sam would not have naquadah if she had not been on SG1 and taken over by Jolinar.

I believe Weir mentioned something to that effect in either the beginning of atlantis. I think it's in the scene where John sits on the chair for the first time and Rodney gets jealous.

As for sam and Jack's kid - the combo would be special but not unheard of. Presumably there are gou'alds out there who can opperate both - they may not have known about the gene, but seeing as humans were taken from earth and scattered everywhere and then used as hosts, surely in all these 1000s of years a gou'ald will have taken a host that had the gene and found out about it that way.

The special part about the child would be the fact that it's un gou'alded.

Comment

Also, it's possible the ATA gene may be recessive so I don't think it's a 100% guarantee that it will be passed along to an offspring. It's like brown eyes vs. blue... the blue gene is recessive and it's most likely that the brown eyes will be dominate. Genetics are fun!

And the naquada, did Sam get this because Jolinar actually *died* inside her, or for just being a host? I don't recall...

If it's just being a host, well, that's in the blood and both Sam and Jack were host to Tok'ra so that will probably be passed down.

Comment

Production-wise it's still 7 years before the ATA gene is invented discovered. So I don't think the writers were being to heavy handed with the coincidence. In fact, by that time the Jolinar/Sam storyline was largely ignored, which is unfortunate. I thought it was a brilliant addition to her character and there was much more they could have explored with it.

I like to think Jack has a little bit of naquadah in his blood. Not so much as Sam; so he can't use any goa'uld devices or anything like that, but just enough that Sam gets a bit of a tingle every time he enters a room. Or maybe that's just because she likes him.

Oh and . . .

Spoiler:
                      Sam!!!

Comment

Thanks for the review meredithe! You pretty much covered all the salient shippy and non-shippy points for me. I guess I would just add three things.

1) Based on what I know of Jolinar, which admittedly is not much, I like her very much.

2) I noticed a new shippy moment on my rewatch. (Eventually I'll just refer to the entire series as a shippy moment. Really, I see it! Don't you?!) When Jolinar passes out on the gate ramp after pulling the pin from the grenade Jack goes for the grenade to save everyone from blowing up obviously. But even though he's concentrating on getting the pin back in, he still tells the gaurds picking up Sam/Jolinar to "take it easy." They clearly see her as a dangerous enemy, and who can blame them, but Jack still sees Sam and wants to protect her.

3) My heart melts when Jack sits down on the floor with Cassie and again when she's sitting on his knee at the end. What is it about seeing big, strong guys being tender with children that is just so endearing?

Oh and just in case you missed it before . . .

Spoiler:
                        SAM!!!

Comment

by hlndncr

by JasminaGo

Comment

He goes back for her on the planet

His whole concern for Sam when Jolinar is holding the gate room hostage with a grenade

The scene where he walks out when she's begging him to believe Jolinar

When he realizes the Ashrak has got to her

Wipes away a tear when they bring her into the infirmary

Waiting for her to wake up and telling when she does “you beat it'”

Comment

You know, it just occurs to me that I should have the scene where Jack is in the locker room all sad and miserable because he thinks he's lost Sam and he's reluctant to go in and interogate the goa'uld because he knows he'll only see her standing before him.

What can I say? This whole episode is clearly shippy!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
                                And the naquada, did Sam get this because Jolinar actually *died* inside her, or for just being a host? I don't recall...

If it's just being a host, well, that's in the blood and both Sam and Jack were host to Tok'ra so that will probably be passed down.
                                Another ex-host with the ability to operate Goa'uld devices is Vala. She used a healing device in the episode The Powers That Be to try to help one of the first victims of the Ori plague on the planet she once ruled over as Qe'tesh.
                                No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                                It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Working...
                                X