Changes to SG1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changes to SG1

I've got a few ideas on my mind for a future project I'm planning and I would really like some of your opinions and thoughts.

Basically to start off with, keeping in mind what you loved about SG1, if you were to watch it again in the future, what would you personally want changed about it? Can be small minor details etc, but would you want more of the missions based on Earth, or more NID operations etc?

Originally posted by StevenSG1 View Post
    I've got a few ideas on my mind for a future project I'm planning and I would really like some of your opinions and thoughts.

Basically to start off with, keeping in mind what you loved about SG1, if you were to watch it again in the future, what would you personally want changed about it? Can be small minor details etc, but would you want more of the missions based on Earth, or more NID operations etc?
    proof that sam and jack DID get together!!

i like exploring new planets and peoples.
    sally

sigpic

Comment

1: Pick a theme
      If it's planet of the day, or covert ops, or episodic storytelling, I don't mind as long as they *stick to that theme*.

2: Hire writers who can actually DO the theme.
      If you are going for serious, get serious writers, if you are going "jokey", get writers who can do Jokey.

3: Maintain consistency.
      Sci fi fans are FREAKS for consistency, if it makes no sense, it will be ruthlessly torn apart by people who are generally more intelligent than any TV writer.

4: Write to your audience
      Sci fi fans are NOT dummies, we can handle "odd concepts", "timey whimey", "Alternate realities" and gods know what else.

Stargate represents many things to many people, and you will never satisfy ALL of the people, but I think if these pretty 4 broad points are thought of when/if a new gate is ever developed, it will have a fair chance of surviving for a time.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Basically I'm think I'm looking at trying to pitch something together that could continue on without being DIRECTLY linked to SG1 (but similar aspects) but have the ability to tie up loose ends or continue story lines.

Comment

Basically I'm think I'm looking at trying to pitch something together that could continue on without being DIRECTLY linked to SG1 (but similar aspects) but have the ability to tie up loose ends or continue story lines.
          first, great list, gatefan , and steven, great idea!
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Unless your "tie ups" are one line throwaway fan service, you are linking it directly to whichever "flavour"(s) of stargate you are drawing on. That is not inherently a "bad thing" mind you, but bringing in the "other shows" WILL affect your audience.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              Unless your "tie ups" are one line throwaway fan service, you are linking it directly to whichever "flavour"(s) of stargate you are drawing on. That is not inherently a "bad thing" mind you, but bringing in the "other shows" WILL affect your audience.

I think I would try to do it so that, unless you KNEW what the back story was, it isn't really stand out as a direct link if that makes sense? So just subtle changes if possible. Chances are when I'm working on this I'll probably choose a direction that moves away from Stargate, but keeps the sort of core values, so it won't all be directly linked, but something that fans could follow for the story rather than what it does/doesn't have.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                first, great list, gatefan , and steven, great idea!
                Thank you Sal

I am forced to point out however that what "we personally want" (in terms of storylines) is not always what would be best for the stargate property.
                I want Stargate back, but I don't want it to be a one season (which is really half a season these days ) that fails trying to be pure fan service for SG-1, SGA or SGU. All three hold various levels of care for the stargate fans, and I am unsure if anyone can run that particular gauntlet without upsetting *someone*
                sigpic

Comment

I think I would try to do it so that, unless you KNEW what the back story was, it isn't really stand out as a direct link if that makes sense? So just subtle changes if possible. Chances are when I'm working on this I'll probably choose a direction that moves away from Stargate, but keeps the sort of core values, so it won't all be directly linked, but something that fans could follow for the story rather than what it does/doesn't have.
                  You are setting yourself a hard task there Steve.
                  Even on your own description there, what are the "core values" of stargate? Ask 30 people here, and I bet you will get 30 different answers
                  sigpic

Comment

Thank you Sal

I am forced to point out however that what "we personally want" (in terms of storylines) is not always what would be best for the stargate property.
                    I want Stargate back, but I don't want it to be a one season (which is really half a season these days ) that fails trying to be pure fan service for SG-1, SGA or SGU. All three hold various levels of care for the stargate fans, and I am unsure if anyone can run that particular gauntlet without upsetting *someone*

I think that's the case of trying to please the majority and upset the few. Don't think there's ever a full balance sadly.

Comment

You are setting yourself a hard task there Steve.
                      Even on your own description there, what are the "core values" of stargate? Ask 30 people here, and I bet you will get 30 different answers

I think by core values I probably mean I would try to at the least, keep the chemistry and the team spirit the same, that way it becomes a bit easier to work from that, rather than try to adapt a story etc to one character and hope it works.

Comment

I think that's the case of trying to please the majority and upset the few. Don't think there's ever a full balance sadly.
                        In that case. I would run with SG-1, and it's style, predominantly S1-5, bringing the later seasons of SG-1, or SGA or SGU will open your idea's to criticism you may not welcome.
                        sigpic

Comment

Thank you Sal

i want what the writers, themselves, started, which is bringing sam and jack together. but the bringing together should have already happened (after 'threads'), so just prove that they did, indeed, get together.

i'm not asking for the stars and the moon.
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

In that case. I would run with SG-1, and it's style, predominantly S1-5, bringing the later seasons of SG-1, or SGA or SGU will open your idea's to criticism you may not welcome.

What I'm basically doing is sort of screen writing, obviously the chances of it being anywhere remotely successful are pretty slim to say the least, and chances are even if it was to be considered by anyone, it would probably be bought and then dissected etc. This has always been more of a pipeline idea but getting everyone's ideas and perspectives on here, from the fans, at least I suppose gives it a good push in the right direction.

Comment

I think by core values I probably mean I would try to at the least, keep the chemistry and the team spirit the same, that way it becomes a bit easier to work from that, rather than try to adapt a story etc to one character and hope it works.
                              3 males and 1 female?
                              3 Earthings and one Alien?
                              A male lead?
                              1 techno-monkey, 2 warriors and a info person? (sounds like a WOW/D&D party )?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X