Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Singularity
    Nirrti's really bad-ass, and yet she'll make it into my favorite Goa'uld-list nonetheless.
    I have yet reached Singularity in my Rewatch, but am I wrong in thinking that they made a mistake in his role in this episode. I was almost certain that in this episode that Teal'c stated Nirrti as a He(male). Then later we go to find Nirrti is a female. Is this right or am I remembering wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by bradjohnson View Post
      I have yet reached Singularity in my Rewatch, but am I wrong in thinking that they made a mistake in his role in this episode. I was almost certain that in this episode that Teal'c stated Nirrti as a He(male). Then later we go to find Nirrti is a female. Is this right or am I remembering wrong?
      I believe you are correct. When Teal'c referred to Nirrti and talked about what Nirrti had done in the past, he referred to him as a "he". One of the many continuity errors.

Comment

Originally posted by min min light View Post
        I had only watched Singularity once, so I forgot about that dog at the end. I wonder how many hapless adults had to explain this was fiction to the kids watching the show with them. "But Dad it's a RUUUULLLLE!"
        Poor parents!

Originally posted by discodiva View Post
        The dog used looked like a Shiba Inu to me and they go through a phase where they shed their coats in HUGE great lumps...I think it's called "blowing coat" and I've seen pics of lumps of fur the size of Tumbleweed ....perhaps Cassie's dog was about to "blow"
        I just looked it up ... and oh my goddess, they look sooooo adorable.

I believe that the dog used in the show was owned by a terminally ill kid who wanted to have her dog on TV. I think it was part of a make-a-wish thing...

Originally posted by bradjohnson View Post
        The First Commandment
        My favorite part of this episode though is the part that Sam goes down to stop the villager from being beaten. Daniel says, "We should've stopped her," and Teal'c responds, "We would've failed." That part always cracks me up!
        Teal'c is a wise man.

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
        I believe you are correct. When Teal'c referred to Nirrti and talked about what Nirrti had done in the past, he referred to him as a "he". One of the many continuity errors.
        Or, maybe Nirrti really was a guy and switched hosts in between the last time Teal'c may have met him/her when he was first prime to Apophis....

However, this is what the Encyclopedia Mythologica has to say about Nirrti:

"Destruction". An Indian goddess of destruction and death. She is said to live in the south (which is regarded as the land of the dead). Her husband and masculine aspect is Nirrta. In later Hinduism, Nirrti herself becomes a male dikpala god of terrifying aspect.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Uh, folks? Nirrti's host was female. It's entirely possible that Nirrti-the-symbiote was, in fact, male. That is, were we ever told that Nirrti was a Goa'uld queen? If not a queen, then Nirrti was a male Goa'uld who has a female host -- very useful for posing as a goddess -- and Teal'c was thus not wrong in his use of the masculine pronoun.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
          Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
          sigpic
          now also appearing on DeviantArt
          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

This is what I like about Stargate, it makes us go and check things out, I've gone to look up things that were mentioned in the show to get more of an idea of the background of characters, places or events in history and myth. In the case of Nirrti it was interesting to learn that the male and female was interchangable, so the writers were not being forgetful after all!

I thought the general idea was that the Goa'uld were not any sex in particular, but changed hosts according to their moods or for gaining an advantage in their constant need to be self important!

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
              Uh, folks? Nirrti's host was female. It's entirely possible that Nirrti-the-symbiote was, in fact, male. That is, were we ever told that Nirrti was a Goa'uld queen? If not a queen, then Nirrti was a male Goa'uld who has a female host -- very useful for posing as a goddess -- and Teal'c was thus not wrong in his use of the masculine pronoun.
              True. We later see Osiris (very definitely male) take Sarah Gardner as a host. And they seem to refer to Selmak as male and female almost interchangeably. Aside from the spawning aspect of the Queens, I'm not sure they ever really discuss gender as it applies to goa'uld symbiotes. In CotG, they showed the host pairs as male / female, but I don't know if that was meant to tell us something about their gender attitudes, or just indicative of the fact that the TPTB hadn't thought about it.

mm

Comment

I thought the Goa'uld symbiotes lacked a gender. With the exception of the queens of course
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                  Just more cause for confusion when to use he or she...

Originally posted by magickmoons View Post
                  True. We later see Osiris (very definitely male) take Sarah Gardner as a host. And they seem to refer to Selmak as male and female almost interchangeably. Aside from the spawning aspect of the Queens, I'm not sure they ever really discuss gender as it applies to goa'uld symbiotes. In CotG, they showed the host pairs as male / female, but I don't know if that was meant to tell us something about their gender attitudes, or just indicative of the fact that the TPTB hadn't thought about it.
                  Right.

Comment

Cor-ai

Which my DVD-set has as 'The Cor-Ai' and the French translation just about gives it away entirely -- Le Proces (= The Trial).

Anyhow...

This episode could also be renamed to The One Where You Really Want To Gag Daniel... which Jack eventually nearly does with his Can it! comment.

Oh noble Teal'c, sometimes you need someone to knock some sense into your head. How will you fight for freedom when you're dead? You can't. But I guess, he does have a point that he can give retribution to this one.

And Teal'c's not one of us... funny how this brought a deja-vu from Stargate Atlantis where they don't want to set up a rescue mission for Ronon when he's taken by the Wraith.

What I have come to dislike a wee bit, however, is the sound effect of the Jaffa walking when they are not even wearing any real armor to begin with. They sound super heavy, but they're not... all that foam probably weighs a bit but their chainmail hauberks aren't even real. It does take away a bit of the magic... *shrug*

Comment

Enigma

Schrödinger -- I love that cat!

Random note: both McKay & Carter had a cat.
                      (lack of SGA PTW originality shows even in characters)

I'm partial to this episode. I don't really dislike it, but I don't really like it either. We're not as technological advanced as we like to believe, and when the opportunity arises we show just how primitive we can be. The young do not always do as they are told... big time. But we're learning so that's a good think.

Maybourne in a fit... he'll be back!

And the Nox... lovely people they are.

Comment

I believe that the dog used in the show was owned by a terminally ill kid who wanted to have her dog on TV. I think it was part of a make-a-wish thing...
                        Aw, that is so cool.

Enigma
                        Every time I watch this one I'm fascinated by the snooty leader guy's teeny tiny rosebud mouth. All of his dismissive remarks just look so hilarious to me coming out of those miniature dainty lips.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by min min light View Post
                          Every time I watch this one I'm fascinated by the snooty leader guy's teeny tiny rosebud mouth. All of his dismissive remarks just look so hilarious to me coming out of those miniature dainty lips.
                          -- I'll never be able to take him serious again now.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            I thought the Goa'uld symbiotes lacked a gender. With the exception of the queens of course
                            ^this and mautouf says in the tok'ra episode that they don't have a gender, but can mimic one. And when the host feels for someone so does the symbiot.
                            sigpic

Comment

For lack of better - Goa'uld's as a parasite can better be referred to as it...

Comment

Solitudes

Why the hell didn't Carter try dialling another planet? Just goes to show how stupid a genius can be, I guess.

Sure, a busy-tone doesn't stop you from trying the same number over and over again until eventually it'll connect, but gates aren't telephones no matter how many paralels there are between the two systems. She didn't have anything to loose from trying.

It'll just be my everlasting peeve with this episode, I guess.

Anyhow, hello Atlantis in the distant future (7 seasons from now anyway)...

I kinda like the look of the gate in the ice, and the hole behind it made by the vortex.

Comment

Working...
                                X