Stargate SG-1 Rewatch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
    And then to have "Dad" just out of the blue tell her he has cancer. Shocked would be an understatement. I wanted to smack Jacob for telling her that way. And then to just walk out on her like that. If he had continued to behave that way in recurring episodes, I would not have liked him very much. However, he's one of my favorite characters.
    To me, that is Jacob. What we see later is Jacob | Selmak and the influence of the blending.

I think Sam grew up with the man we met in Secrets - a hard, dominating man used to being obeyed. He loved her, I have no doubt about that, but probably didn't feel comfortable expressing that emotionally, so he would do things like getting her the NASA in to show it.

As for the way he told her he was sick, either a) he was angry that she 'rejected' his offer (his love) and was trying to shock / guilt / strike out at her, or b) he just didn't have the emotional tools to break it to her gently. Or both.

mm

Comment

Originally posted by magickmoons View Post
      To me, that is Jacob. What we see later is Jacob | Selmak and the influence of the blending.

I think Sam grew up with the man we met in Secrets - a hard, dominating man used to being obeyed. He loved her, I have no doubt about that, but probably didn't feel comfortable expressing that emotionally, so he would do things like getting her the NASA in to show it.

As for the way he told her he was sick, either a) he was angry that she 'rejected' his offer (his love) and was trying to shock / guilt / strike out at her, or b) he just didn't have the emotional tools to break it to her gently. Or both.

mm
      I think part of Jacob's attitude in Secrets might also be down to losing his wife and then struggling to raise his two teens on his own; I've seen other men become more closed off emotionally and turn (even more) to rules and discipline after losing someone they loved deeply, in the hopes of minimizing any future pain in case other relationships/people go too. Most of the time it has a contrary effect and they end up pushing the people they love away in a misguided attempt at protecting themselves.

Selmak probably had a very positive influence on Jacob, but I think it might also have been his new lease on life and having seen Sam struggle with his cancer and the possibility of losing him. Again, I've seen similar attitudes in other people (mostly men) when they've had a serious medical condition/scare and were lucky enough to survive.

But I guess we'll never know, maybe Jacob really was an ass and Sam got her personality from her mother who somehow managed to live with (and love) a man like that.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I think that after Sam's mother died Jacob got more military like, as she says in "the tokra" he was always the strong soldier. He would never admit that anything was wrong and probably struggled to admit his feelings (he did definitely love his children). However, this personality led his son to stop speaking to him and he to have a shaky relationship with his daughter. As someone said he was trying to show his love by getting Sam into NASA. And I think he wasn't sure how to admit that he had cancer so it ended up being blunt and kind of cold. Also before he's blended it is also clear that he has a good sense of humor.

Selmak definitely helps him express his feelings and become warmer. Selmak also does however make him more aragent. But in the end strongly helps improves his relationship with Sam (and presumably Mark).
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magickmoons View Post
          I would say it's a bit of both.

Spirits

Not much to say about this really...

Tonane is a funny guy.

Sam's "My what big eyes you have." -- yup, very convincing.

The dog was very beautiful. So was the raven.

Not one that I would watch over and over again. Feels like filler to me. However, I must add that the prop-department did an outstanding job with the props and statues.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Why did you skip The Tok'ra
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              Why did you skip The Tok'ra
              I didn't -- this is the order they're on the DVD. First Spirits then Tok'ra.

I just watched Tok'ra part 1 and I'm about ready to strangle them and blow them to smithereens cause... grrr... arrogant much.

Martouf/Lantash is about the only one that I like. Yusuf is hilarious, totally Garshaw's opposite. And the funny hats, I'd forgot about those.
              Last edited by Falcon Horus; 28 May 2013, 04:30 PM.

Comment

The Tok'ra (part 2)

Still don't like Garshaw. Love Martouf/Lantash! Selmak and Jacob make for an excellent blend.

Tele-ball-thingies, and apparently also old joysticks in gold paint. I noticed it for the first time that is what Garshaw puts in the box when they are evacuating.

Jacob's reaction to Sam telling him about the Stargate project is priceless.

So is Teal'c's reaction to the tunnel - loosely translated Very Cool!.

Comment

Yeah, sometimes the episode order of a show is different every place you look - Netflix, DVDs, IMDB ... I'm watching in the order on Amazon Prime.

I forgot how arrogant the Tok'ra were, but they did have a legitimate point - there wasn't much in it for them, and the humans were pretty disgusted by the whole snake-hosting idea. I mean just the look on their faces when it was proposed was hilarious. Kind of diplomatically horrified.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    [B]

Jacob's reaction to Sam telling him about the Stargate project is priceless.
                    that scene every time I watch the episode I rewind, such a great scene lol.

The tok'ra did have a point, since they were more technology advanced and did most of their work secretly hiding from the Goa'old they wouldn't get much from being allies with the Tauri. I do wish that we got to hear more about people from earth becoming blended. I imagine that was hard to tell your average dying citizen (even if they were probably already military).
                    sigpic

Comment

Yeah they never did mention that again, did they? I am imagining the scene - "yes you have [a fatal illness] but there's a secret highly classified cure ... open wide!"
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                        that scene every time I watch the episode I rewind, such a great scene lol.

The tok'ra did have a point, since they were more technology advanced and did most of their work secretly hiding from the Goa'old they wouldn't get much from being allies with the Tauri. I do wish that we got to hear more about people from earth becoming blended. I imagine that was hard to tell your average dying citizen (even if they were probably already military).
                        I would like to have known if the SGC actually did try to recruit dying people to be blended with a Tok'ra symbiote. That would have made for an interesting episode.

Comment

I see a sign 'Ferries' - where in Vancouver is this?
                          And your hubby must have packed his bugspray, right?
                          A lot of it, LOL!

It's the Plaza of Nations which is on the shore line of False Creek. The 'ferries' are little boats (Aquabuses) that carry about ten people at a time across False Creek to and from Granville Island.

Here's a 'bug' eye view of the area.

I would like to have known if the SGC actually did try to recruit dying people to be blended with a Tok'ra symbiote. That would have made for an interesting episode.
                          Me too, how do you sell the benefits of the life you lead after being saved by blending with a Tok'ra?! Would people accept that they wouldn't be home much and be along for the ride pretty much initially. The symbiote would only be thinking of continuing its fight against the Goa'uld and the host will be adjusting to the new weird life!

I think there should have been a Tau'ri/Tok'ra SG team, that way the Tok'ra would be learning about their new ally whilst still kicking Goa'uld butt!

Agree, it would have been an interesting story to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by min min light View Post
                            Yeah, sometimes the episode order of a show is different every place you look - Netflix, DVDs, IMDB ... I'm watching in the order on Amazon Prime.
                            So, it seems... I had no idea. *shrug*

Originally posted by min min light View Post
                            ...and the humans were pretty disgusted by the whole snake-hosting idea. I mean just the look on their faces when it was proposed was hilarious. Kind of diplomatically horrified.
                            I think if they had met with the Tok'ra first (and not in the way of Jolinar) instead of the Goa'uld, that might have been a whole other tale. However, since the order is reversed I can fully understand why they would be disgusted by the idea.

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                            Me too, how do you sell the benefits of the life you lead after being saved by blending with a Tok'ra?! Would people accept that they wouldn't be home much and be along for the ride pretty much initially. The symbiote would only be thinking of continuing its fight against the Goa'uld and the host will be adjusting to the new weird life!
                            I guess we'll have to explore that in fanfic instead.

It's the Plaza of Nations which is on the shore line of False Creek. The 'ferries' are little boats (Aquabuses) that carry about ten people at a time across False Creek to and from Granville Island.
                            Cool place!

Didn't they also use that site in an episode of Primeval: New World. It looks familiar. Although PNW had a lot of fly-over shots of Vancouver so I could have spotted it in one of them.

I think there should have been a Tau'ri/Tok'ra SG team, that way the Tok'ra would be learning about their new ally whilst still kicking Goa'uld butt!
                            That could have been interesting to see.

Comment

I've never seen much interest in Earth from the Tok'ra, so I don't know whether they would even agree to have a Tau'ri/Tok'ra SG team (on Earth, at the SGC). I think if there had been other humans (from Earth) taking Tok'ra symbiotes it would have been mentioned at some point, especially when the Tau'ri/Tok'ra Alliance deteriorated and Jacob/Selmak seemed to be the only Tok'ra who cared and helped out Earth.

However, let's say it did happen then I'm pretty sure it would have only been older/retired/former military officers, perhaps some politicians (former presidents?) and or an important scientist (with specialties like Sam or Daniel), not just any regular Joe. Not only because of the secrecy of the Program but it would also be important to make sure the Earthling contributes something (other than his body/mind) and ensure they'll remain loyal to Earth and not just go off with the Tok'ra to fight the Goa'uld and never be heard of again. Hey, maybe that's what Jack as director of HWS/HWC is willing to offer Russians for!

Also, let's not forget that there was only a relatively small number of Tok'ra left and we didn't see many of their hosts die. Usually when a Tok'ra got captured they were killed right away (or at least not saved on-screen) and that means both the host and the symbiote. Aside from Selmak we only ever saw Egeria and Lantash in need of hosts, right? And dying Egeria got another Tok'ra's host (oh yeah, let's just sacrifice one of our own because there are already so few of us left! No wonder the Tok'ra were a dying race... ) and died anyway and Lantash was, for some reason, perfectly okay with staying in some sort of stasis until the attack on Revanna and he jumped into Elliot to save both their lives, IIRC. The only symbiote to die of old age was Selmak (and the ones before him whom we never met, obviously) but no hosts other than Saroosh seemed to be elderly and thus there couldn't have been much recruiting going on anyway.
                              Last edited by fems; 29 May 2013, 05:24 AM.
                              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Spirits

Not one that I would watch over and over again. Feels like filler to me. However, I must add that the prop-department did an outstanding job with the props and statues.
                                And the aliens! I love that all the aliens wear matching shiny tube dresses, like they were from a 1950's invasion movie. It's nice to see aliens who look like aliens (even cliché aliens), not Ye Olde Farmer Joe heading into Towne to buy a sack of potatoes.

I loved Tonane, he was just so good-natured. "The spirits are actually aliens with gill noses in silver spandex? Cool! Can we go home now?"

Not one I'd watch over and over either, but it was nice to see it again.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X