Were the Replicators overused?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tachyon View Post
    Not in SG-1, but perhaps in SGA. The entire season 3 is more or less "the replicator season".

I liked those replicator buggers more as nasty spider-like things than as machines in human form, tbh.
    Totally agree here. I loved the replicators all through sg1 from spider to human form but the weak version that we were offered in sga just were not up to standards.
    The Asurans I know were trying to emulate the Ancients so were completely different in a lot of respects, almost to the point that you wish they hadn't been replicators because they were so unlike previous versions and the replicator mantra overall.
    I honestly feel the Asurans were detrimental to the replicators as a whole. If they had been anything else but with the same sort of parameters it would have maybe worked but they weren't and it didn't.
    Never Leave A Man Behind...or a Jaffa for that matter

Comment

Originally posted by sgelite View Post
      Totally agree here. I loved the replicators all through sg1 from spider to human form but the weak version that we were offered in sga just were not up to standards.
      The Asurans I know were trying to emulate the Ancients so were completely different in a lot of respects, almost to the point that you wish they hadn't been replicators because they were so unlike previous versions and the replicator mantra overall.
      I honestly feel the Asurans were detrimental to the replicators as a whole. If they had been anything else but with the same sort of parameters it would have maybe worked but they weren't and it didn't.
      Having said all that, one of my favourite sga episodes was 'be all my sins remembered'. But they (asurans) did get wiped out in that one so maybe that's why!!
      Never Leave A Man Behind...or a Jaffa for that matter

Comment

The problem with the Asurans is that they simply are not replicators, so why do the viewers refer to them as such? Replicators are replicators, because they seek to consume everything to replicate until there's nothing left to make more of themselves. The Asurans are human-form nanite beings who seek to emulate the ancients. They are similar, but the Asurans are no more replicators than humans are ancients.

Comment

Could be wrong. But they were literally refered to as 'replicators' at times by the characters themselves. And they used tech specifically designed to fight replicators to attack them.

So the shows themselves associated them. And the Asurans were basically presented as human form replicators right down the hand in head trick.
          sigpic
          Banner By JME2

Comment

Human form replicators and Asurans are built the same way, but that doesn't make them any more similar than Americans and Russians or Earthlings and Jaffa. My point is, I loved that the Asurans were basically an entire world of human form replicators. However, instead of trying to do something new, all we got were panicking expedition members and Colonel Ellis pissing them off with nuclear missiles. The Asurans' response nearly destroyed Atlantis. Whatever happened to trying to forge an alliance?

"Hi, we hail from Atlantis. Oh, you want to destroy Atlantis, because your creators, the Ancients, tried to wipe you out? Why do you emulate them, then? We're not the Ancients, we've never encountered you before. Why are you gunning for us? If you want to emulate the Ancients, then fight the Wraith and protect the Pegasus natives. That's emulating the Ancients, no?"

I just wish this had been addressed. Was it, and I just forgot?

It seemed to me that the writers were trying to run with the idea that all forms of AI are extremely dangerous. Wiping them out is OK, because they're just machines. I never really cared for this concept. Especially when there were episodes were AI's (such as robo SG-1) thought they were the real deal.
            Last edited by Snowman37; 12 November 2012, 05:40 AM.

Comment

I would've liked a better ending for Weir too than having her turned over the course of several episodes from human to human/Replicator hybrid to Replicator. Oops, I mean Asuran.
              "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Not everyone on the SG-1 forums has seen Atlantis yet. You might not want to give away character fates.

Comment

I don't think that the Replicators were overused at all, on either SG-1 or SGA.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                    Not everyone on the SG-1 forums has seen Atlantis yet. You might not want to give away character fates.
                    If they haven't seen SGA yet, why come to the SGA part of the forum at all?
                    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

I kinda liked Oberoth though, he was a nice villain.

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                        If they haven't seen SGA yet, why come to the SGA part of the forum at all?
                        We're in the SG-1 forum, not SGA. Some newer viewers elect to watch all of SG-1 before diving into Atlantis. Yes, the spin-off ended four years ago, but I still think spoiler code should be used for major plot points for new viewers. Anyway...

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                        I kinda liked Oberoth though, he was a nice villain.
                        Agreed. If we'd had more villains like Oberoth, the Asurans might have been better received by the audience.

Comment

Oops about the forum part.
                          I wish they would've had Niam return in "Lifeline" even as a cameo. After all, it was his nanites that were in Weir's body, they could've had him telepathically talking to Weir or something.

Comment

I think there was too much going on for Niam to be involved. However, they could have brought him back in "This Mortal Coil" or "Be All My Sins Remember'd." What if he'd been reborn on Asuras, and what if Weir managed to turn him back to the ascension-seeking rebels?

Comment

If they could rebuild Oberoth, why couldn't they rebuild Niam(reprogrammed if on Oberoth's side and not if on the Ascension-seeking side).

Comment

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Comment

Working...
                                X