Were the Replicators overused?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Were the Replicators overused?

There's been some debate that the Replicators were overused, especially on Atlantis. As SG-1, were they overused? I don't think so. They were only in ten episodes and one of the movies. To those who think they were overused, why?

Great question.....personally I didn't like the replicator storyline at all......no matter how few episodes had them!

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
    There's been some debate that the Replicators were overused, especially on Atlantis. As SG-1, were they overused? I don't think so. They were only in ten episodes and one of the movies. To those who think they were overused, why?

Comment

If anything i think they were under used. From their mechano days to 5th and replicarter,they were formidable foes and you know someones good when even the Asgaard cant protect us from them or themselves.I wont delve into the Atlantis part of the question as im still watching all of Atlantis,albeit sometimes not in chronological order,lol. But no,i dont think any enemy can be overused(lucien alliance excluded) if they are a decent enemy.Loved all the replicator episodes and time dilation fields,etc.Im working through season 8 as i type and i cant get enough of the Replicators. Only 10 episodes huh?Hardly overused at all.Great foes and its replicator episodes i like to watch over and over out my boxsets.Cheers
      O'Neill: So, what's your impression of Alar?
      Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
      O'Neill: Like what?
      Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

I didn't bring in the Asurans for that very reason. I figure not everyone who's watched SG-1 has seen Atlantis. One of my friends watched all of SG-1 before watching Atlantis, so there ya go.

Dave2, why did you dislike the Replicators?

The Mist, I like that they were underused. When they did appear, they were downright terrifying! How far are you into the eighth season?

Comment

I didn't bring in the Asurans for that very reason. I figure not everyone who's watched SG-1 has seen Atlantis. One of my friends watched all of SG-1 before watching Atlantis, so there ya go.

Dave2, why did you dislike the Replicators?

The Mist, I like that they were underused. When they did appear, they were downright terrifying! How far are you into the eighth season?
          Im only on the 1st disc but this will likely be the 3rd time i have watched season 8.I generally put SG1 on every night before bed and usually wake up with it still blaring unless i set my timer or close my laptop,lol.I strayed from my season 8 last night but only because of this forum! I had read a few comments regarding the ancients/alterans and it made me think "i really need to watch Ark of Truth2 again so thats whats been playing from 3am and still playing as i type,lol. Im in no way moaning about the replicators being under or over used cos i understand you can get too much of a good thing.Goa'ul aside,the Replicators were by far my Fav SG1 enemy,way ahead of the Ori! But yeah season 8 iv just watched new order 1 and 2,lockdown and iv yet to stay awake for zero hour but tonight could be the night,lol.Cheers

Comment

I think I found the replicator idea to be too cartoonish. A useless prop for fighting scenes.......wasted time on episodes. Maybe I could have made exceptions for the human replicator idea, i.e. people not made of organic matter/carbon, but toy bugs running around? Naw......

Originally posted by The Mist View Post
            Im only on the 1st disc but this will likely be the 3rd time i have watched season 8.I generally put SG1 on every night before bed and usually wake up with it still blaring unless i set my timer or close my laptop,lol.I strayed from my season 8 last night but only because of this forum! I had read a few comments regarding the ancients/alterans and it made me think "i really need to watch Ark of Truth2 again so thats whats been playing from 3am and still playing as i type,lol. Im in no way moaning about the replicators being under or over used cos i understand you can get too much of a good thing.Goa'ul aside,the Replicators were by far my Fav SG1 enemy,way ahead of the Ori! But yeah season 8 iv just watched new order 1 and 2,lockdown and iv yet to stay awake for zero hour but tonight could be the night,lol.Cheers

Comment

Dave, the whole idea behind the replicators was a villain worse than the Goa'uld, one that the Asgard themselves are at war with. As for the replicator bug concept, it was an attempt at introducing a robotic antagonist that would not be portrayed by an actor. Perhaps the problem was that it looked fake to you? Do you simply dislike the concept of villains not played by actors?

Comment

Definately overused by the time of 'Ark Of Truth.' There appearence there seemed like a pointless encore for them and a way to pad the movie.

'Hey we've beaten our worst enemy ever. We'll just go and recreate them. That's never going to bite us in the ass or any thing.'

I think the Asurans marked the point where I stopped caring about Atlantis.
                sigpic
                Banner By JME2

Comment

Aye the whole replicator thing in Ark of Truth was a bit silly but that aside they were a great foe. No morals,ethics,only one primary directive and an insatiable appetitie.Loved the replicators! Not seen the Assurans in Atlantis yet but everyone i talk to or read posts from seem to dislike the whole idea so i look forward to seeing these episodes.Cheers

Comment

It could be......after all, the replicators had no personality.......But I am not prejudiced against non-human villains. I didn't like the Ori either. And can't stand the Wraith at all.

Dave, the whole idea behind the replicators was a villain worse than the Goa'uld, one that the Asgard themselves are at war with. As for the replicator bug concept, it was an attempt at introducing a robotic antagonist that would not be portrayed by an actor. Perhaps the problem was that it looked fake to you? Do you simply dislike the concept of villains not played by actors?

Comment

Not in SG-1, but perhaps in SGA. The entire season 3 is more or less "the replicator season".

I liked those replicator buggers more as nasty spider-like things than as machines in human form, tbh.

Comment

In SGA. The original Replicators were like Borg: emotionless killing machines. I hated the Asurans and how Season 4(not Season 3 in my opinion) was the Replicator season.
                        SG-1 Replicators were great.
                        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

How's that? The Asurans only appeared in three episodes. Four if you count the cameo in "Reunion," five if you count the home made human-form replicators from "Outcast," but they weren't Asurans.

Comment

3 episodes???

1. Progeny.
                            2. The Real World(if you count the vision of Niam and the nanites in Weir's blood).
                            3. The Return, Part 1.
                            4. The Return, Part 2.
                            5. First Strike.
                            6. Lifeline.
                            7. Reunion
                            8. This Mortal Coil.
                            9. Be All My Sins Remember'd.
                            10. Ghost In the Machine

That is TEN episodes, not counting the 7 episodes of human Replicators in SG-1(who were clearly of very similar design) and the one in Outcast. TEN episodes is half a season.
                            Last edited by rushy; 11 November 2012, 10:10 AM.
                            "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

You posted...
                              Originally posted by rushy View Post
                              In SGA. The original Replicators were like Borg: emotionless killing machines. I hated the Asurans and how Season 4(not Season 3 in my opinion) was the Replicator season.
                              SG-1 Replicators were great.
                              I responded...
                              How's that? The Asurans only appeared in three episodes. Four if you count the cameo in "Reunion," five if you count the home made human-form replicators from "Outcast," but they weren't Asurans.
                              You posted about Season 4, so I responded in regards to Season 4. From your episode list, only four are from the fourth season.

As for SG-1, they're all replicators. It doesn't matter to me whether they're bug or human form, they're still replicators. The replicators appeared in 10 episodes of the series, six of them featured human form replicators, not seven. The replicators also appeared in the movie. Just to clear matters up...

SG-1 Replicator Episodes
                              3-22 "Nemesis"
                              4-1 "Small Victories"
                              5-1 "Enemies"
                              5-19 "Menace" (introduced the android who created the replicators)
                              6-12 "Unnatural Selection (human form introduced, based on the android)
                              8-1 "New Order, Part 1" (human & bug form replicators)
                              8-2 "New Order, Part 2" (human & bug form replicators)
                              8-11 "Gemini" (human form replicators, did the bug version appear?)
                              8-16 "Reckoning, Part 1" (human & bug form replicators)
                              8-17 "Reckoning, Part 2" (human & bug form replicators)
                              The Ark of Truth (replicators resurrected briefly via Asgard core)

Atlantis Asuran Episodes
                              3-5 "Progeny"
                              3-6 "The Real World"
                              3-10 "The Return, Part 1"
                              3-11 "The Return, Part 2"
                              3-20 "First Strike"
                              4-2 "Lifeline"
                              4-3 "Reunion" (brief appearance)
                              4-10 "This Mortal Coil"
                              4-11 "Be All My Sins Remember'd"
                              4-15 "Outcast" (though not an Asuran, an Earth-made human form replicator)
                              5-5 "Ghost in the Machine"
                              Last edited by Snowman37; 11 November 2012, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X