No announcement yet.

SG-1 Specific Mistakes and Inconsistencies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanted to mention a few gaps in the episode Tangent that I just went back and watched. The story doesn't explain why the goa'uld device didn't take control of the glider when Teal'c was riding in it himself at the beginning of the episode.

If it then flew at 1 million miles an hour, how did the pressurization inside handle it if it wasn't on a trajectory to space but only flying around the local area? And how did they survive those few seconds in space without a proper space suit on?

I didn't catch whether they had sufficient air and food to survive for the time they were out there, and it wasn't indicated how long they were actually out in space before being rescued.

There is no indication that they were in space for two weeks to reach Jupiter.

If Jacob Carter was able to detect Sam and Daniel coming through the stargate why didn't the goa'uld notice them? Surely they would have had a couple of guards around the gate.
    What then happened to Jacob's ship after returning them from Jupiter?

Comment

Originally posted by dr.chrismckay View Post
      Also something to think about, all the planets under the protected planets treaty had never progressed beyond either agrarian or renaissance level of technology.
      wasn't that part of the deal
      ----------------------------
      You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

Originally posted by filter View Post
        Someone mentioned about glowing eyes, isn't that something goa'uld/tok'ra do by choice? Such as when there angry
        A big issue I have with the show is that when they explore new planets, they only search around the gate and they find nothing they assume theres nothing. Don't they ever think that maybe, the gate is just on an island or maybe just an uninhabited part of the planet
        Yeah, this bugs me too, especially O'Neill, if he doesn't see anything of importance right away, he wants to leave. Like how he was acting in "The Fifth Race" before the thing grabbed his head.

Another big plot hole I was thinking about. In "Solitudes", Daniel said other Goa'ulds might have taken people from earth through the Antarctic gate after the Giza gate was buried. I don't see how taking any great number of people through the Antarctic gate would have been possible. Consider this, some Jaffa come through that gate into a crevasse in a glacier. Even if they can get out, how can they go anywhere else on earth without a ship. Even if the gate was not in the crevasse, it's in the middle of a frozen wasteland. Now there was that "round wing" ship* that Teal'c and Gen. Hammond used to rescue Jack, Sam and Daniel from Hathor. But that only seated 2 people. Any thing bigger would not have fit through the gate. So I think the Goa'uld were taking people all along in bigger ships that flew to earth.

*The ship that Bratac said flying it through the gate was "threading the needle".

Comment

Maybe not a plot hole, but something that bugs me is the use of studio stock film of Cheyenne Mountain. In most cases when you see the outside footage it is clearly old footage. The cars driving by are from the 80s (if not 70s), maybe sometimes early 90s at best. You never see appropriate time period (late 90s - 00s) vehicles. Though there wasn't much change in military vehicles until the '00s, the military vehicles look outdated as well.

Anyway

One other thing is the amount security with an out-going gate. As has been talked to death, because the error in the original Children of the Gods, we would jump all over a gate being used multi directional because the wormhole goes one-way. Then why does the gate room get flooded with security every time they open an out-going wormhole, seem unnecessary.

Comment

Maybe because SGC modified their gate to include that sheild thing, and took out some features out of the Stargate, one of them being able to create multi-directional wormholes in order to make it more secure. Then Hammond counted on Goa'ulds catching on that later and had the gate room flooded with security anyway should one of the Gods and his servants be able bypass the SGC's Stargate security somehow anyway and still be able to pass trough and go back while still using the same wormhole, without disconnecting and than having to re-connect again.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
              Neither did I, it was very noticeable while watching.
              Actually I only noticed that just now looking at the pictures, so it wasn't noticeable to me when I was watching it.

Also at the beginning of CotG, I could be wrong, but I was sure the gate did shut down after they came through and they used a device that powers/dials the gate. I dunno though, it's been awhile since I've watched this episode, but I'm sure that's what happened.
              sigpic
              McKay: A Bow and arrow, what is this, Lord of the Rings.
              Tony: Why do you think I call him Legolas.
              ff.net - a03 || Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki Alexander View Post
                Actually I only noticed that just now looking at the pictures, so it wasn't noticeable to me when I was watching it.

Also at the beginning of CotG, I could be wrong, but I was sure the gate did shut down after they came through and they used a device that powers/dials the gate. I dunno though, it's been awhile since I've watched this episode, but I'm sure that's what happened.
                That happened in the Director's Cut of the pilot, not the original one. They added some new (and old unused) scenes, with PW reprising his role of Apophis just to get him and his Jaffa to use the hand device to redial the gate, similar to the one used in Continuum...
                Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                  Where do you get the different version of Children of the Gods? Is it another DVD release of the season or of the specific episode?
                  Brad Wright re-did the "Children of the Gods" and had it released as "Children of the Gods: The Final Cut" or some such thing. Some things were taken out of the original version (some of which should have stayed), and some old footage that was thought to have been damaged or lost, but which was found and fixed, was put into the new version. Also, the commentary explained some of the things you mention.

Comment

Stargate SG-1 is my favorite show of all time and nothing will ever change that. They always do a great job explaining things that happen. However;
                    The biggest flaw that I have with SG-1 and that bothers me to this day is the point of origin for Earth. The gate that was found in Egypt has the point of origin that we are all familiar with. But, the gate that was found in Antarctica is the original gate for Earth built and left their by the ancients. This gate has a different point of origin.

Why is it that we always use the Egypt gate point of origin, even when we start using the Antarctic gate (beta gate)?

How come the gate addresses, even in ancient databases (the pegasus project), end with the Egypt point of origin?

Lastly, if Destiny was meant to be gated to from Earth, shouldn't the point of origin found on the Antarctic gate have been the one to work and not the Egypt gate?

Like I said, this is my favorite show but I been having a problem with this one inconsistency.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
                      And then there are the old favorites: how could so many aliens know how to read, write and speak perfect idiomatic English?? In this episode scientists Sam and Daniel are not the least surprised that Linea's diary is in perfectly modern human American English.......
                      Since this hasn't been responded to here (as far as I could see)..
                      This one was addressed in the SG-1 FAQ, I remember reading it a few years ago. The question was along the lines of "why does every planet consist of English speakers?" and the answer was one that made me stop bothering to look for inconsistencies in SG-1

Answer : Because we don't want to take ten minutes of every episode on getting to understand each other.

The one that really annoyed me was the Goa'uld voice change bit .. It's used semi-consistently early in the series as a way to identify them (even going as far as the Tok'Ra switching back and forth to identify who was talking), but then late in the series Baal randomly appears on Earth and says "Oh, we don't have to talk like that if we don't want to.." and it's accepted instantly without question.

Comment

In the episode "Crystal Skull", Daniel is invisible and General Hammond is using the red Presidential phone to talk to his granddaughter, shouldn't he be using a different phone to make personal phone calls on? Just thought I would mention it!
                        sigpic
                        Fate makes our relatives; choice makes our friends-quote I found in my dad's senior year of high school under his name

"Give me a pen and I'll write the words"
                        http://avp60685.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Nephini View Post
                          The one that really annoyed me was the Goa'uld voice change bit .. It's used semi-consistently early in the series as a way to identify them (even going as far as the Tok'Ra switching back and forth to identify who was talking), but then late in the series Baal randomly appears on Earth and says "Oh, we don't have to talk like that if we don't want to.." and it's accepted instantly without question.
                          With that though, it wasn't only later on in the series where the Goa'uld were known to use the host's voice. Hathor would do it frequently, and Jolinar used Sam's voice when she was trying to remain undiscovered at the SGC, so we knew already that it was possible for the Goa'uld to do that way before Ba'al made it a regular thing for himself.
                          sigpic
                          Thank you to Ikorni for the sig

Jolinar's LJ - Currently reviewing all SG1 eps as part of the Shipper Rewatch, feel free to add me

Comment

Tanith did the same thing to make SG-1 believe his host was speaking, so it wasn't something that just appeared later on.

The Goa'uld that took over Kawalsky's body did it in the second episode, if you count Children of the Gods as one episode..

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                              Tanith did the same thing to make SG-1 believe his host was speaking, so it wasn't something that just appeared later on.

The Goa'uld that took over Kawalsky's body did it in the second episode, if you count Children of the Gods as one episode..
                              Sure, but that one I took to be because it was immature and didn't have full control .. although some of his actions while he was in control of himself were odd for that.

/shrug, it still annoyed me

Comment

Ok, how about this one .. In the Stargate movie, there's a certificate on the wall with the name Tyler next to pictures of Jack's son. They never reference him by name in the movie other than that. In the SG-1 series, his dead son's name is Charlie.

Comment

Working...
                                X