SG-1 Specific Mistakes and Inconsistencies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
    The one that bugs me is in the episode 'Point of View'.

CARTER:Which we could download to a removeable hard drive. But that still won't do it. Remember, in order to dial the Asgard home world, they had to provide us with a generator that transferred extra energy to the Gate's capacitors. I can't get it to work again. Apparently, it was designed to work only once.

The generator was built by Jack in 'The Fifth Race' when he had the knowledge of the Ancients downloaded into his brain, not provided by the Asgard! It enabled him to dial the eighth chevron to get him to the Asgard's galaxy and get help. Siler commented that after Jack left the generator he'd hooked up to the gate's power grid was dead.
    I'm actually not too bothered by this, because I figured she meant the Ancient Repository had somehow ensured that whoever used it and couldn't handle it (properly) would know how to build the power-thingy and dial the Asgard homeworld. So, Jack was provided this technological knowledge and the location to the Asgard homeworld (and many more). Considering the Ancients and the Asgard both used to be part of the Great Alliance, it was probably the Asgard who provided the knowledge to the Ancients (about where to dial in case of emergency, figuring they'd be around longer than the Ancients themselves) in the first place.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

On an incoming wormhole, why does the gate sometimes spin and sometimes not? I know that spinning is so much cooler than not spinning, though I feel that this is one of the biggest inconsistencies I have noticed.
      An infinite universe contains an equally infinite amount of knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by dr.chrismckay View Post
        Also something to think about, all the planets under the protected planets treaty had never progressed beyond either agrarian or renaissance level of technology.
        that's something that always bothered me. thinking back the only planet that was somewhat at the same technolgical level as earth was Jonas's planet, unless I'm missing some?

not so much as a goof but in season 9 when Teal'c insists he doesn't want to join sg-1, the next episode he is back in his sg-1 outfit, without any explanation of his change of mind.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
          that's something that always bothered me. thinking back the only planet that was somewhat at the same technolgical level as earth was Jonas's planet, unless I'm missing some?
          They were, from what I understood, a little bit behind us. Unfortunately we can't tell how far behind us exactly. For all we know we might be as far ahead of them as the inhabitants of the holographic sub-urbs on the decimated city are ahead of us. But then again that might not be that itself.
          With Superb-Caliber-Frag-Statistics-Explosions-Are-Delicious!!

Comment

with Kelowna it seemed, from the look and the feel of the ep, that they were about where we were in the 1940s. More specifically where the USA was in he 1940s.

I don't really worry about continuity errors. What really really bugs me is their appalling weapon handling and radio procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post

1. According to this episode, the sign that the gate is becoming active is that the whole facility shakes violently with mugs and various items on tables moving around. Later on the facility gets more established and they install various things to alert people of what's going on. But after those things are installed (ie. the alarm) the only sign the gate is active is when the alarm goes off. The facility doesn't shake anymore. I get why it caused the shaking for introduction purposes but it bugs me that that stops happening in the show. As the show goes on I understand they don't want to spend a lot of time on repetitive and becoming more insignificant things as they have a lot of show to do in a small amount of time. But that doesn't change the fact that it still bugs me
              This was explained in a later episode (something Antarctic related, IIRC) that the shaking was because they had not at the time installed any inertial dampeners. That problem was later fixed by a course of sound-proofing and some better coils or something along those lines.

Really, the show in its early days needs to be taken with a pinch of salt (much like Star Trek TNG, in seasons 1 and 2 when it's continually mentioned that the Klingons joined the Federation -- NO THEY DIDN'T). You may also recall from the Stargate film that the first time the wormhole was activated, it was tracked LEAVING OUR GALAXY! Yes, really. It left the galaxy. Don't ask me how, since it was later established (retconned?) that you can only leave one galaxy for another by entering an additional 35th chevron and hooking the gate up to a superjuice machine to power it.

Short story; bad continuity happens. No biggie.
              Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Comment

Originally posted by The Urban Spaceman View Post
                This was explained in a later episode (something Antarctic related, IIRC) that the shaking was because they had not at the time installed any inertial dampeners. That problem was later fixed by a course of sound-proofing and some better coils or something along those lines.

Really, the show in its early days needs to be taken with a pinch of salt (much like Star Trek TNG, in seasons 1 and 2 when it's continually mentioned that the Klingons joined the Federation -- NO THEY DIDN'T). You may also recall from the Stargate film that the first time the wormhole was activated, it was tracked LEAVING OUR GALAXY! Yes, really. It left the galaxy. Don't ask me how, since it was later established (retconned?) that you can only leave one galaxy for another by entering an additional 35th chevron and hooking the gate up to a superjuice machine to power it.

Short story; bad continuity happens. No biggie.
                In general it is kinda accepted that the movie canon and the show canon are two different entities. It's only so that the series was inspired by the movie.
                A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Just saw Beneath the Surface from Season 4 which I never saw before. The theme and acting is good, but it's one of those episodes........a city with nothing to show in terms of people, a staff of underground slaves who look like a total of 15 or 20........one would imagine a large city would have many more than that! It dragged a bit and probably could have been condensed had we seen their arrival on the planet etc.
                  More characters along the way who would have been a good addition to recurrent appearances (Brenna), and theh interesting aspect about their memories of what they were doing their whole lives before being underground and how the whole situation developed to begin with.

Comment

Someone mentioned about glowing eyes, isn't that something goa'uld/tok'ra do by choice? Such as when there angry
                    A big issue I have with the show is that when they explore new planets, they only search around the gate and they find nothing they assume theres nothing. Don't they ever think that maybe, the gate is just on an island or maybe just an uninhabited part of the planet

Comment

I just saw Serpent's Venom from Season 4. If Rak'nor was a Tok'ra agent, why did he have to put Teal'c through all the torture only to release him later? And where do we find any Jaffa working for the Tok'ra? Rak'nor kills "my Lord" Tekor (whose exact role in relation to Her'ur is not explained) and the story does not explain how Rak'nor managed to beam the dead Tekor to Apophis under the nose of Her'ur or escape in a shuttle with Teal'c without knowing of the imminent attack by the cloaked vessels of Apophis.

Comment

Rak'Nor was not a Tok'ra agent. The Tok'ra agent was one Apophis's mothership not Heru-Ur. We see him activate a device in his gauntlet to attract the modified mine.
                        sigpic
                        Banner By JME2

Comment

Yes, now I recall that, but didn't remember the way it fit into the story. But wasn't it Rak'nor who used a Tok'ra password to communicate with Jacob Carter? Anyway, I still don't follow Rak'nor's role in the whole story.

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
                          Rak'Nor was not a Tok'ra agent. The Tok'ra agent was one Apophis's mothership not Heru-Ur. We see him activate a device in his gauntlet to attract the modified mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
                            I just saw Serpent's Venom from Season 4. If Rak'nor was a Tok'ra agent, why did he have to put Teal'c through all the torture only to release him later? And where do we find any Jaffa working for the Tok'ra? Rak'nor kills "my Lord" Tekor (whose exact role in relation to Her'ur is not explained) and the story does not explain how Rak'nor managed to beam the dead Tekor to Apophis under the nose of Her'ur or escape in a shuttle with Teal'c without knowing of the imminent attack by the cloaked vessels of Apophis.
                            Considering that a mothership has 10-15 ring transporter rooms, it was probably fairly simply for Rak'nor to find an empty one to send Terok to Apophis on who was probably just an underlord of Her'ur

Comment

Wouldn't it be something to see an SG1 episode showing a sophisticated goa'uld controlled planet where all this technology is produced?!

In any case, how did Rak'nor get affiliated with Har'ur's army, and why did he have to put Teal'c through all that suffering for no reason, having arrested him and taken him aboard, resulting in the destruction of Har'ur's ship? It would seem that Rak'nor was already involved in the Tau'ri/Tok'ra plot somehow, which wasn't mentioned anytime in the episode. I don't recall Jaffa working for the Tok'ra before, and did the fact that Teal'c had saved Rak'nor's father cause Rak'nor to suddenly switch sides and find out a Tok'ra code word?

Originally posted by filter View Post
                              Considering that a mothership has 10-15 ring transporter rooms, it was probably fairly simply for Rak'nor to find an empty one to send Terok to Apophis on who was probably just an underlord of Her'ur

Comment

I just saw "The Light." Boy, talk about missing elements.......It probably would have taken an extra 2 minutes to explain how Lorn's parents were "explorers," why they came to the planet, where they came from, when it all happened, how he survived all alone for what appears to be several years, how they knew about the stargate addresses, etc. And as icing on the cake, what HAPPENS to Lorn now that comes to live on Earth.......Does he marry Cassandra? Does he work with Daniel on translation together with Nyan, who was supposed to become Daniel's assistant, but who we never see again.

And what happened to the people living on the planet (the "slaves"), when the sphinxes were built and why, etc. etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X