General viewing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
    Ah, my bad. I wouldn't use Snowman's order either, not even for a first-time viewing. (Sorry Snowman).
    The only critical crossover point is with The Pegasus Project, and even then that only matters if the new viewer has never seen any clips or anything of SGA prior to or while they are viewing SG1. By this point in time, it's not going to make a big difference. All of the shows have been out long enough now that it's fairly common for people who have not seen them yet to already have an idea on what they're about. I'm sure that many viewers won't think it's a big deal if they find out how the SG1 characters traveled to the SGA location in The Peg.Proj. and, if it is, then they can simply remove that episode from their SG1 line-up and insert it into their SGA line-up.

Otherwise, crossover events, like when the SG1 events in both AoT and Continuum occurred - as compared to SGA events - aren't that big of a deal.

I used to be an avid follower of a hardcore extremely intricately detailed viewing order that involved all possible alternating between those 2 shows. In the end, it just took the fun out of it, mostly because of the point that I stated earlier (okay this might have been in another thread)... but the point: SG1 & SGA have different styles. Better to just keep them separate. Would you alternate between SG1 & SGU, or between SGA & SGU? Of course, someone might, but chances are not many people would enjoy that.

Alternating between episodes of SG1 & SGA is pointless.

Alternating between seasons of SG1 & SGA is pointless.

There is no benefit to it.

The only point in any alternating is when crossover or time line events occur and, even then, the majority of those events are not important enough to warrant alternating at all.

Minimal alternating can work great for the first time viewer.

That's it. No fancy back-and-forth viewing is necessary.

At the same time, no alternating at all will work just fine for the first time viewer.

Shifting The Peg. Proj. over from SG1 to SGA would be fine, that's not a big deal.

When looking at how others have viewed the shows, in many cases people started seeing the shows in completely random and mixed up orders. This person saw this or these episodes. That person saw that or those episodes. Then they started watching it straight through.

The important thing is that, if a new viewer cares about order, that they watch SG94, then SG1 (and movies), then SGA, then SGU.
    Are you in the Kansas City area? Do you know any SG fans in the area?
    Email me and join the local group of Stargate enthusiasts! (Email address in my profile.)
    What if... events occurred differently in Stargate? | Which version Stargate fan are you?
    An all new crew: Who would you want MGM to hire for a new Stargate show or movie(s)?
    When have you met SG cast or crew (excluding conventions)?
    Stargate Enthusiasts in the Kansas City Area | Being Introduced to Stargate

Comment

If a new viewer cares about order, then should chronological order not take priority? If we were talking about Star Trek where the three 24th century shows (and four of the movies) overlap, I'd agree with you. There are lots of crossovers and references to the other shows, but there aren't any events that are immediately paralleled by events on the other show.

Stargate is different. There are episodes of SG-1 which immediately impact episodes of SGA. To a lesser extent, some SGA episodes immediately impact SG-1. For example...
      Spoiler:
      In SG-1's "The Shroud," the Odyssey has a ZPM. If you'd seen SGA's "The Return," then you'd know that Atlantis was left with three ZPM's. One went to Earth's Antarctic outpost, one went to the Odyssey, and one stayed with Atlantis.

There are other occasions where a first-time viewer will have a more rewarding experience if the shows parallel. Otherwise, details may become forgotten, and the viewer might not recognize that this or that was a consequence of SG-1 or Sheppard's team from the other show. For me, it enhances the experience to the point where when SG-1 (I'm on Season 5) catches up to SGA, I'll be bouncing back and forth. I might bounce back and forth by disc, or I might rotate by season. I don't know. For me, that tight continuity is fun. Point is, others might appreciate it as well.

Now, if we were talking about someone who'd already seen the show and doesn't necessarily want to revisit the franchise... Sure, just pick a show and watch start to finish.

When Star Trek was on the air with two shows at once, take this into account... TNG and DS9 were syndicated. They may or may not have been shown together, so the shows ran seperate. VOY was made for UPN, because DS9 was locked into syndication. This most required the two shows to continue to run seperately, because there was no garauntee (spelling?) that the audience of one show was watching the other.

When Stargate SG-1 & Atlantis overlapped for three years, both shows were shown on the same network on the same night, back-to-back. For example, if SG-1 were on at 8pm, SGA was on at 9pm. Where as DS9 had a separate production team from TNG and VOY did from DS9... it was one production team working on both SG-1 and SGA.

All of this needs to be taken into account. The shows were produced the way they were, because it was just assumed that there was one audience following both shows. That's why what happened on one show would be referenced on the other. For example, if X happened on SGA one week, SG-1 might reference next week. Why tune in to SGA at 9pm, but not SG-1 at 8pm? It was always assumed that people were watching both shows (when they were new).
      Last edited by Snowman37; 07 September 2012, 07:15 PM.

Comment

The important thing is that, if a new viewer cares about order, then they watch SG94, then SG1 (and movies), then SGA, then SGU.

Simple.

Bottom line: they have multiple options.

Neither your way nor my way is "the" way.

Also, neither is better than the other. You might think yours is. That is your opinion.
        Are you in the Kansas City area? Do you know any SG fans in the area?
        Email me and join the local group of Stargate enthusiasts! (Email address in my profile.)
        What if... events occurred differently in Stargate? | Which version Stargate fan are you?
        An all new crew: Who would you want MGM to hire for a new Stargate show or movie(s)?
        When have you met SG cast or crew (excluding conventions)?
        Stargate Enthusiasts in the Kansas City Area | Being Introduced to Stargate

Comment

Another update, most recent viewing SG1 S9 Ep08 Babylon, and SGA S2 Ep11 The Hive.
          I find Ford's story to be an interesting one and would be happy if he's not dead. Only time will tell. SG1 has definitely turned into a supporting role series, I feel the last few episodes have really gotten into a formula of here's a new society and look an Ori has shown up. Still I love the stargate family a lot and wish I would have started sooner.

Comment

Sadly Ford is gone and most likely died on the Hive Ship
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Killersheep is a first time viewer. Spoiler code? Hello? Maybe he'd like to not know if Ford returns or not.

As for SG-1 and the Ori, it does seem a bit formulaic. However, I never cared if TV shows follow a formula. I just care if each episode is interesting. I will say this. The pacing picks up with your next episode, "Prototype."

Comment

Its not a spoiler since I didn't reveal any plot details.
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  Its not a spoiler since I didn't reveal any plot details.
                  Actually it is a spoiler. An undetermined result was revealed.

I guess I 'll come back here once I finish the series.

Last update Finshed SG-1 S9 Ep16 "off the grid" and SGA S2 Ep17 "Coup d'Etat"

Lost a week due to work travel, getting caught back up.

SG1 seems to be really losing steam these last few episodes. SGA seems very much in a "one off" realm ready to get back to the wraith involvement.

One last question, I am looking to buy the Stargate Universe series soon, I was wondering which versions to buy, I see Season 1, Season 1.5 and The complete final season. I didn't see a complete series anywhere.
                  Last edited by Killersheep; 21 September 2012, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Killersheep View Post

Don't let him scare you off. Just make sure that each post opens with you not wanting to be spoiled with ANYTHING after your current episodes. As my mom would say, "I don't even want to know if there's a bird in the movie." haha

SG1 seems to be really losing steam these last few episodes. SGA seems very much in a "one off" realm ready to get back to the wraith involvement.
                    The ninth season was probably the show's weakest season. The producers and writers had to sell us on continuing the show without General O'Neill. We're introduced to Mitchell and Landry, we have to deal with Carter slipping back into second-in-command after leading the team for a year, and we're reintroduced to Vala in a recurring role. In addition to this, the Priors of the Ori are really the villains as the Ori themselves can't interfere directly without bringing down the wrath of the Ancients. It very much feels like the first season of a new show, only it's SG-1's ninth season. Keep going. "The Scourge" is a fun romp, and "Author's Mantle" is a great team episode. You'll see a lot of Carter-Mitchell interaction with a lot of humor. I think you'll like it. "Crusade" and "Camelot" setup the tenth season, and the final scenes of "Camelot" will leave you jaw dropped...

Atlantis is very episodic, but your next episode, "Michael" will be a very controversial episode. I think you'll like it. "Inferno" is a one-off episode, but one that is a lot of fun. Finally, we come to "Allies," the season finale. The ending, like SG-1's finale cliffhanger, will leave you jaw dropped. Though I liked all five seasons, the third was my favorite as it had some of the best stories. The only episodes that I think were poorly received by the audience were "Irresistible" and "Irresponsible." Personally, I found them very entertaining. Maybe you will too. The highlight of the season was the mid-season two-parter, "The Return." You can look forward to new story arcs (at the end of Season 2 and beginning of Season 3) that come and go, new villains, SG-1 crossovers, intense drama, big explosions, and much more. Suffice it to say, the third season is the height of the show.

One last question, I am looking to buy the Stargate Universe series soon, I was wondering which versions to buy, I see Season 1, Season 1.5 and The complete final season. I didn't see a complete series anywhere.
                    It looks like there's been four DVD releases of the show...

Stargate Universe SG-U: 1.0 (first half of Season 1, 10 episodes)
                    Stargate Universe SG-U: 1.5 (second half of Season 1, 10 episodes)
                    SGU: Stargate Universe - The Complete First Season (20 episodes)
                    SGU: Stargate Universe - The Complete Final Season (Season 2, 20 episodes)

There is no complete series boxset. I imagine if there ever is, it will probably just be Seasons 1&2 together in a cardboard sleeve.

Comment

Lost a week due to work travel, getting caught back up.

Not according to the GW rules that describe a spoiler as plot or character development. Since their is no Ford to develop thier are no spoilers.

As for SGU go for the full S1 (instead of the half seasons). Its a waste of money with no differences in content to buy the half seasons. S2 was released as the final season. SGU was too short lived to have a "complete series" release
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Not according to the GW rules that describe a spoiler as plot or character development. Since their is no Ford to develop thier are no spoilers.
                        Don't be a jerk, he's a first time viewer. How would you like it if you were watching an awesome TV show for the first time and someone kept giving away what was going to happen? If this is going to be the attitude of this forum's users, then by all means... Killersheep might want to stay out of this discussion.

Killersheep, if you want to avoid spoilers but have questions, I'd be happy to help you with them via PM's.

As for SGU go for the full S1 (instead of the half seasons). Its a waste of money with no differences in content to buy the half seasons. S2 was released as the final season. SGU was too short lived to have a "complete series" release
                        Bingo. In my previous post, I noted that the final season was also the second season in case Killersheep was unaware of how long the show was on.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                          Don't be a jerk, he's a first time viewer. How would you like it if you were watching an awesome TV show for the first time and someone kept giving away what was going to happen? If this is going to be the attitude of this forum's users, then by all means... Killersheep might want to stay out of this discussion.

Killersheep, if you want to avoid spoilers but have questions, I'd be happy to help you with them via PM's.

Bingo. In my previous post, I noted that the final season was also the second season in case Killersheep was unaware of how long the show was on.
                          You should take your own advice and I'll post how I want. And your analogy doesn't work since I haven't given anything away about future events. I never said anything about upcoming episodes therefore not a spoiler.
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

...and I'll post how I want.
                            I said don't be a jerk. I didn't tell you how to post.

And your analogy doesn't work since I haven't given anything away about future events. I never said anything about upcoming episodes therefore not a spoiler.
                            Telling someone what doesn't happen is just as annoying as being told what will happen.

Comment

Let's get along everyone! I'm a first time viewer myself and I have to admit, I feel it would be a spoiler to be told a character is most likely dead and isn't going to be seen again. Sorry...

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                                I said don't be a jerk. I didn't tell you how to post.

Telling someone what doesn't happen is just as annoying as being told what will happen.
                                That is subjective. No matter how someone acts someone will find annoying. It is still not a spoiler according to the rules
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X