This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if...

Hi! This thread has received hundreds of views. There's a lot of lurking going on, though at the moment only a couple people are responding. Let's have more people participate!

This is really simple. Here's how it works:

1. Respond to the previous “What if...” post with what you think could have happened immediately after and at some point in the future.

2. Reset back to the original stories, insert the name of the next* episode/movie, and come up with a “What if...” question.

*"Next" means episode order. For example, if the previous what-if is season 5, episode 1 from a show, then the next what-if will be season 5, episode 2 from the same show.

That's it. We'll go straight through, from SG94 to SG1, SGA, and SGU. We'll use the episode orders as they are listed on this site.

Here's the episode order for where we're currently at in this thread:

http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s1/

When in doubt, just read the other replies within this thread to get an idea on how it works.

Stargate (1994):
    What if Ra escaped Jack's nuclear bomb?

Spoiler:
    (This text is the original message that I posted. I decided to greatly condense it to the message above, while leaving the original message below.)

While viewing the episodes and movies, I sometimes find myself asking, “What if...” scenarios. What if that character made a different decision? What if something happened that was out of their control, forcing them into a different situation? What could have happened as a result, immediately after and years later? The decisions or alternate events could be good or bad.

After multiple what-ifs, it becomes evident that the events would have varied to such extremes that the characters would be living in an alternate universe or alternate time line that would be nearly unrecognizable compared to the original stories. So, a reset button is used after each episode and movie.

There are a lot of creative people out there who love Stargate. I'm curious to see what others can come up with for alternate realities – extremely condensed, of course, and on a per episode basis – before hitting that reset button and asking “What if...” for the next episode or movie.

Here's how this works:
    1. Respond to the previous post with what you think could have happened immediately after and at some point in the future.
    2. Reset back to the original stories, insert the name of the next episode/movie, and come up with a “What if...” question.

We'll go through each episode and movie, straight through, from Stargate (1994) to all of Stargate SG-1, The Ark of Truth, Continuum, Stargate Atlantis, and Stargate Universe.

To help give an idea on how this works, here is an example of how the first few replies could proceed:

Person A –

Stargate (1994):
    What if Daniel never met Shau'ri/Sha're?

Person B replies –

He could have simply returned to Earth with Jack after nuking Ra. In his immediate future, he returns to his archaeologist lifestyle and teaches English as a second language. Further in the future, he is not as passionate about the stargate program but helps Jack attempt to save Skaara. He never meets the Harsesis. He never meets Oma Desala. He never ascends. He dies on Kelowna/Langara.

(Person B then resets the story and goes back to the next story after the 1994 movie, which is Children of the Gods.)

Children of the Gods:
    What if Kawalsky was never taken by a Goa'uld?

Person C replies –

He would've... (etc. hypothetical alternate universe events)

The Enemy Within:
    What if the Goa'ulded Kawalsky escaped through the stargate?

Person D replies –

The Goa'uld would've gone to Apophis and... (etc. hypothetical AU events)

Emancipation:
    What if Samantha killed the evil Mongol warlord on their first encounter?

...and so on...

Okay, I'll start. I'll use a different “What if...” for some variety.

Stargate (1994):

What if... events occurred differently in Stargate? | Which version Stargate fan are you?
    Last edited by Dr. D.; 11 September 2012, 05:30 PM.
    Are you in the Kansas City area? Do you know any SG fans in the area?
    Email me and join the local group of Stargate enthusiasts! (Email address in my profile.)
    What if... events occurred differently in Stargate? | Which version Stargate fan are you?
    An all new crew: Who would you want MGM to hire for a new Stargate show or movie(s)?
    When have you met SG cast or crew (excluding conventions)?
    Stargate Enthusiasts in the Kansas City Area | Being Introduced to Stargate

Okay, I think I get the gist of this game.

Originally posted by Dr. D. View Post
    Stargate (1994):
    If Ra had escaped Jack's nuclear bomb then it's very likely he would've assembled the System Lords, Ra being first among equals likely had the authority to do that, and led an assault on the Tau'ri for spreading blasphemy amongst the Abydonians and attempting to kill a god.

Children of the gods:
    What if Apophis hadn't come to Earth and taken Carol Weterings?

Comment

Yep, you have the gist of it, that's how it works.

Let's say all of our responses to these "what ifs" are in alternate universes, in which case anything is possible.

Originally posted by Aesop View Post
      Children of the gods:
      What if Apophis hadn't come to Earth and taken Carol Weterings?
      Apophis never gates to Earth but still goes to Abydos, where Sha're and Skaara are both abducted. Daniel then gates to Earth, interrupting a card game in the gate room. Nobody witnessed the gate address for Chulak but they figure out the stargates go to multiple worlds. Hammond asks Carter to create a program that generates potential working addresses and auto dials the stargate. They rarely make a connection but when they do they explore. Years go by before they experience a coincidental encounter with Apophis. SG team members are killed, and they still don't find Sha're or Skaara.

Okay, that was kind of a morbid outcome. Here's a more positive twist: 5 years later, they gate to the Nox home world by pure chance. The Nox help them find Sha're and Skaara. At this point, it can branch off into a complete story but I'll stop there so that we can continue with more What Ifs. Okay, hitting the reset button....

The Enemy Within:
      What if the Goa'ulded Kawalsky continued, for as long as possible, to pretend to be the real Kawalsky?
      Email me and join the local group of Stargate enthusiasts! (Email address in my profile.)
      An all new crew: Who would you want MGM to hire for a new Stargate show or movie(s)?

Comment

The Enemy Within:
        What if the Goa'ulded Kawalsky continued, for as long as possible, to pretend to be the real Kawalsky?
        The symbiote inside Kawalsky maintains appearances for the purposes of espionage. Eventually he's able to sabotage the gate at Cheyenne Mountain so that after he departs, the next address to dial out will cause the gate to overload and explode, burying the gate and any personnel in the base under thousands of tonnes of rock.

Alternatively, the SGC make contact with the Tok'ra who are able to determine that despite the façade, Kawalsky is hosting a symbiote and so it/he is interrogated for intelligence on the Goa'uld and then extracted. Kawalsky ends up faithfully commanding SG-2 for many years.

Emancipation:
        What if Samantha Carter never beat Turghan in a knife fight and SG-1 was unable to recover her?

Comment

This is my 100th non-off-topic post. Interesting. Okay, back on topic....

Emancipation:
          What if Samantha Carter never beat Turghan in a knife fight and SG-1 was unable to recover her?
          Since it was a fight to the death: Sam dies. The rest of SG-1 starts attacking and, although they have greater firepower, they are vastly outnumbered. They head to the stargate, gate home, and return with multiple SG units to take down all warriors from that village. There are no future relations with that world. Due to Sam's death, she of course never blends with Jolinar, the Tau'ri never meet the Tok'ra, her father dies from cancer early on, Martouf never dies, Narim never dies, however Jack does die in "Solitudes," and Senator Kinsey successfully shuts down the SGC and the Stargate Program in "Politics". Teal'c returns to Chulak and is eventually hunted down by Apophis, tortured, and brainwashed into becoming his First Prime once again. Daniel returns to Egypt for Earth-only based archaeological work.

Alternatively, for Teal'c, he is taken by Kinsey's orders and experimented on until he dies.

The Broca Divide:
          What if nobody ever found a cure?
          Last edited by Dr. D.; 31 August 2012, 07:10 AM.

Comment

The Broca Divide:
            What if nobody ever found a cure?
            If nobody found a cure then the illness eventually spreads beyond the confines of the SGC. Not only do we quickly lose our ability to utilize the Stargate but the entire human race on Earth devolves to an animal-like state. The Goa'uld learn of this and arrive at Earth to subjugate the population once again as hosts and for forced labor, contact is never made by Earth to the Asgard or any other would-be allies, the population is decimated and a legitimate opposition to the Goa'uld is never formed, paving the way for absolute domination by them of the Milky Way.

The First Commandment:
            What if Hanson had executed O'Neill and Connor as planned?

Comment

AU events are taking a dark and unfortunate turn for the characters. Oh well.

This thread is receiving a lot of views, it's too bad there aren't (yet?) more people participating.

The episode order is slightly different from original air dates to that on the DVDs. I'm just going off of the air dates for order, for now, but if anybody uses DVD order that's fine, too. It will be a long time before getting to the overlap of SG1 & SGA (the episodes/movies that occurred 2004-2009). Personally, I prefer that we just go straight through all of SG1, then AoT, then Continuum, then jump back to the beginning of SGA and go through all of that, then SGU. Either way, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

The First Commandment:
              What if Hanson had executed O'Neill and Connor as planned?
              After Jack's death, Hammond puts Colonel Makepeace in command of the flagship SG-1 unit. Hanson is quickly taken down and the people on that planet are freed and their force shield is activated, protecting them from the otherwise harsh environment. Makepeace leads SG-1 on all future missions but he is a mole working for the rogue NID. A long time passes before anybody figures out he's involved, thus giving the rogue NID a great advantage over the SGC. Their political connections end up replacing all SGC personnel with rogue NID personnel. They acquire (steal) countless alien technologies, thus giving Earth a great advantage over the Goa'uld. However, all ties are lost with friendly alien races. Earth holds off the Goa'uld but when the Replicators arrive, the entire planet is taken over by the pesky little techno-bugs, thus rendering the Tau'ri extinct.

Cold Lazarus:
              What if the Goa'uld never visited the crystal race's world before SG-1 discovered them?

Comment

Cold Lazarus:
                What if the Goa'uld never visited the crystal race's world before SG-1 discovered them?
                If the Goa'uld never visited the crystal race's planet then the race wouldn't have been decimated by them and lasted to possibly form a relationship with friendly worlds like Earth. They would've been amongst the races that shared knowledge and technology with Earth that ultimately would've aided in the downfall of the Goa'uld sooner than in the original timeline/universe.

The Nox:
                If the Nox had not revealed themselves to SG-1, what would've been the outcome of their encounter with Apophis?

Comment

I'm adding a "What if..." link to my signature, maybe that'll help pick up the pace with others participating. (Edit- that's odd, I don't see my sig. Strange, it's only showing up in new posts (after this one). Oh well.)

The Nox:
                  If the Nox had not revealed themselves to SG-1, what would've been the outcome of their encounter with Apophis?
                  The Nox never reveal themselves but still save SG-1, just anonymously. After returning to Earth, Kinsey reads the report and tries to use his government persuasions to force the SGC into further investigating the Nox home world, which ultimately only results in failure, just as the Goa'uld continue to remain unaware of the mysteries of that planet. Alternatively, the Nox neither reveal themselves nor save SG-1. Jack, Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c all die. Hammond ends up creating a new SG-1 team, which then proceeds to explore the galaxy (and beyond).

Brief Candle:
                  What if something wacky happened with the aging tech and it not only altered the appearance of Jack's age but also physically made him immortal and forever young?
                  Last edited by Dr. D.; 04 September 2012, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Brief Candle:
                    What if something wacky happened with the aging tech and it not only altered the appearance of Jack's age but also physically made him immortal and forever young?
                    If the aging tech mysteriously granted O'Neill youth and immortality, he would've used his virility to engage the Goa'uld head-on. Due to the nanites in Jacks system, he was able to utilize the later discovered Ancient Repository of Knowledge without any ill effects and maintain the Ancient knowledge in his mind. He subsequently discovers the lost city earlier than normal, shows the SGC how to create ZPM's and Drones and aids Earth in quickly becoming the second superpower in the galaxy alongside the Asgard to liberate it from the tyranny and oppression of the Goa'uld.

Thor's Hammer:
                    What if Jack had rescued Teal'c from being transported to the labyrinth by Thor's Hammer?

Comment

Okay, I let some time pass before responding, hoping someone else would respond but I guess not. Who knows? Maybe others will eventually participate. This thread has received several hundred views. Lots of lurking going on. It'd be great to have more people responding.

Thor's Hammer:
                      What if Jack had rescued Teal'c from being transported to the labyrinth by Thor's Hammer?
                      There never would've been a need for SG-1 to attempt to rescue the Cimmerians from the Goa'uld as a result of what would've otherwise been a broken Thor's Hammer. SG-1 doesn't meet Thor or the Asgard in Thor's Chariot, since those events will never happen (in this alternate time line/universe), though they still meet the Asgard in The Fifth Race, only by that point Jack doesn't have the famous conversation with the Asgard. Instead, they just heal him and send him back. The events of Fair Game never happen; there's never a treaty between the System Lords and Earth, so hostilities grow much faster between them. By the events of Shades of Grey, the Asgard figure the rogue NID to be the main representatives of Earth, so all possible future ties between the Asgard and Tau'ri are severed. Meanwhile, since Thor's original Hammer is still intact, SG-1 is able to later retrieve Sha're and save her by sending her in. They send in a couple SG units with her to protect her from the Goa'ulded Unas. She is freed from the Goa'uld within. Daniel and Sha're live a happily married life. He still participates in the SG program but not nearly as much as he does in the main universe. He's replaced on the SG-1 team by another archaeologist. And the rest is (alternate) history.

The Torment of Tantalus:
                      What if Ernest and Daniel cracked the code for the "meaning of life" device?

Comment

The Torment of Tantalus:
                        What if Ernest and Daniel cracked the code for the "meaning of life" device?
                        The book contained the known fragments and permutations of the mysterious message embedded in the CMBR, which was in the infancy of study by the 4 races; as well as a complete repository of technological manufacturing including processes for such tech as ZPMs, Stargates, Beams, City Ships and Destiny. After the successful manufacture of several ZPMs, SGC is able to unlock the 9th Chevron and SG-1 boards the Destiny.

Bloodlines:
                        What if Daniel and Sam left the area before spotting the Goa'uld larva?
                        They figured he was a lazy, time-wasting slacker. They were right.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                          Bloodlines:
                          What if Daniel and Sam left the area before spotting the Goa'uld larva?
                          Rya'c would die, which would cause Teal'c to lose hope that Jaffa could ever become dominate to the Goa'uld. Teal'c and Jack would bond intensely but ultimately Teal'c would kill himself.

This would deprive SG1 of the valuable intell Teal'c provided when they boarded the Mother Ships that were posed to destroy the Earth in the season one finale. Bra'tac would help SG1 to destroy the ships before they destroyed the planet, but that would be after the ships devastated several major cities.

The SGC would become public knowledge and many countries would declare martial law as sworn enemies among the Earth population slowly jointed together to deal with stranded Goa'uld ground forces who, along with the surviving Apophis and Klorel founded a new nation on Earth.

Eventually however it would devolve into a game of capture the Stargate, which we would win thanks to our already having a substitute DHD. Ultimately through various technologies we brought back we would manage to win the overall war, but not without serious damage being done to the world.

Fire And Water:
                          What if SG1 hadn't gone back to the planet.
                          Last edited by Twilord; 11 September 2012, 04:17 PM.
                          With Superb-Caliber-Frag-Statistics-Explosions-Are-Delicious!!

Comment

Hi Twilord, very interesting response to the previous what-if. Your what-if, however, needs to be the next episode in order. (Not "Abyss" since that occurs much, much later.) After Bloodlines, the next episode is Fire and Water.

Here's GW's list for where we're at so far -

If you could post a new What If, only stick with the order, that'll be great. Thanks!

I'll update the original post clarifying that so hopefully it doesn't confuse anybody.

...okay I just updated the original post. I also included the link for where we're currently at.

Okay, so next up is...

Fire and Water:
                            What if... (etc., whatever Twilord comes up with)

Last edited by Dr. D.; 11 September 2012, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Hi Twilord, very interesting response to the previous what-if. Your what-if, however, needs to be the next episode in order. (Not "Abyss" since that occurs much, much later.) After Bloodlines, the next episode is Fire and Water.

Here's GW's list for where we're at so far -

If you could post a new What If, only stick with the order, that'll be great. Thanks!

I'll update the original post clarifying that so hopefully it doesn't confuse anybody.

...okay I just updated the original post. I also included the link for where we're currently at.
                              I fixed it above but for anyone who skips down to just the news posts:

Fire And Water:
                              What if SG1 hadn't gone back to the planet.
                              With Superb-Caliber-Frag-Statistics-Explosions-Are-Delicious!!

Comment

Working...
                              X