Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CotG/Avenger 2.0 Inconsistancy and a possible soultion!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's from an official source. Therefore should be aknowledged as cannon. There's a difference if it's coming from a fan (see way above at the start of this thread) or if it's official publication. The SG-1 RPG books are official publications and therefore are cannon. TPTB aren't going to explain every little thing like we consider they have lives...we don't.

Besides, that's where the RPG books come in most RPG sourebooks are widely aknowledged as a cannon resource. Don't like it? Tell that to the people in the Star Wars community or any other community for that matter. They all aknowledge sourcebooks as being cannon material.
    Last edited by System Lord Anubis; 05 May 2004, 09:24 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by System Lord Anubis
      It's from an official source. Therefore should be aknowledged as cannon. There's a difference if it's coming from a fan (see way above at the start of this thread) or if it's official publication. The SG-1 RPG books are official publications and therefore are cannon.
      They're a licensed publication, not official. The PTB have no input on the SGC roleplaying game, so it's no more canon than the licensed novels will be.
      Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
      - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

I editted my reply. Please see above. The difference between official and officially licensed is? To me it means the same exact thing. You can be skeptical if you'd like, but have you even got the books or read them? If so, have you noticed the detail it goes into?
        sigpic

Comment

It's from an official source. Therefore should be aknowledged as cannon. There's a difference if it's coming from a fan (see way above at the start of this thread) or if it's official publication. The SG-1 RPG books are official publications and therefore are cannon. TPTB aren't going to explain every little thing like we consider they have lives...we don't.

Besides, that's where the RPG books come in most RPG sourebooks are widely aknowledged as a cannon resource. Don't like it? Tell that to the people in the Star Wars community or any other community for that matter. They all aknowledge sourcebooks as being cannon material.
          no being licensed doesnt mean its from an official source. the writers and creators of the show have nothing to do with the creation of the books. being licensed just says that they have permision to use the stargate universe and characters, it doesnt make what they say cannon. the only way something is cannon is if it is said in the show or comes directly from TPTB saying "this is cannon". i love star wars and have read all the novels but im not really into the community. if in the Star Wars community they accept the source books as cannon thats cool for them. with stargate the only source for cannon is the show. i mean come on we have enough problems with people pointing out the differences between the movie and show, we don't need another source of misinformation to muddy the waters

Comment

I shall reliterate.

You can be skeptical if you'd like, but have you even got the books or read them? If so, have you noticed the detail it goes into?
            sigpic

Comment

I editted my reply. Please see above. The difference between official and officially licensed is? To me it means the same exact thing. You can be skeptical if you'd like, but have you even got the books or read them? If so, have you noticed the detail it goes into?
              Official means that it's a production of the PTB, vetted by the series creative authorities and thus canon. Licensed means that someone - in this case Alderac Entertainment Group - is granted a license to publish their own material, incorporating the series' intellectual property. Licensed material is not canon because it is entirely unvetted.

Star Wars is a unique case, and is practically the only franchise on the market for which almost every licensed product is produced under sufficient control to be treated as canon. Even then, there are two separate canons - movie and expanded universe, which don't agree since the prequels' treatment of clones thus far contradicts the infinitely superior Heir to the Empire - and three if you include Marvel's Star Wars comics (a licensed product).

I haven't got the books, but I have read parts of them. I haven't bought them because I disagree with them on certain key points, including:

1) Ashraks are described in the core book as renegade Goa'uld; in the series they are explicitly the assassins of the System Lords, not mercenaries.

2) The core rules make no class distinction between 'scientist' and 'scholar'.
              Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
              - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Alright, but I consider the RPG books for SG-1 cannon though. Seeing how it's the only officially licensed thing out there that gives explinations for things that aren't completely fan created. (I.E. The movie taking place in an alternate universe.)
                sigpic

Comment

Alright, but I consider the RPG books for SG-1 cannon though. Seeing how it's the only officially licensed thing out there that gives explinations for things that aren't completely fan created. (I.E. The movie taking place in an alternate universe.)
                  of course you can choose to believe whatever you wish, but technically the the RPG books and therefore their explinations are fan creations as well

Comment

Surely any inconsistency is explained by the fact that it was the idle day-dream of an incredibly useless scientist?

Comment

Let's stay away from alternate universes k? It's a cheap and easy escape!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
                        Let's stay away from alternate universes k? It's a cheap and easy escape!
                        lol but AU explains everything!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                          thats assuming that its recieved the corrlative updates. daniel says he discovered it after jack left the first time so yeah it wasnt hooked up to the gate to recieve the updates. sam says in Avenger that they theorises that the DHD's do corrlative updates every hundred years or so. daniel had unburied the DHD and hooked it up(although how i dont know since there are no wires or anything connecting the gate and DHD, but thats a different discussion) a between the first abydos mission and when jack came back, which was just over a year right? so the DHD hadnt been updated yet. thats why he couldnt connect anywhere
                          Oh for crying out loud thats the same theory i propsed in my ******* opening post!!!!!!!!
                          sigpic
                          Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Hostile
                            Surely any inconsistency is explained by the fact that it was the idle day-dream of an incredibly useless scientist?
                            The only part of Avenger 2.0 thats a day dream is the cat-fight at the end, You don't beleive me? Wathc "Grace" where the al'kesh O'Neill stole in "avenger" id referenced as the source of the prommies new hyperdrive core.
                            sigpic
                            Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
                              Oh for crying out loud thats the same theory i propsed in my ******* opening post!!!!!!!!
                              yes and you were correct, so i was basically agreeing with you

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                                yes and you were correct, so i was basically agreeing with you
                                Well you could have just said that!!
                                sigpic
                                Banner By JME2

Comment

Working...
                                X